Asian domination

playit

11 hours ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

He's 1/4 Thai and 1/4 Chinese. He's more Asian American then he is black

that's  not how DNA analysis/testing work or reports..his would comeback as a percentage Mongolian>Pacific Islander>African and maybe another small percentage of a larger ethnicity..the term Asian American is a politically correct term which I absolutely detest...I am 100% American of Asian descent...when my brother had his DNA analyzed , it came back Mongolian>Pacific Islander>Portuguese>Hispanic. ( FTR my parents were both 100% Filipino) so we take the DNA results with a bit of of a smirk, because one of my other brothers had a similar report and it came back with American Indian in his results

• Like 1

Desert Dunes course in the Palm Springs area was bought by a Korean group who also bought a hotel in PS. The hotel was used as a residence / school for young Korean golfers who were immersed in golf. The hotel and school were eventually sold, but it’s an example of the commitment to the game. 

All facts- no stereotypes.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

2 hours ago, 3whacker said:

that's  not how DNA analysis/testing work or reports..his would comeback as a percentage Mongolian>Pacific Islander>African and maybe another small percentage of a larger ethnicity..the term Asian American is a politically correct term which I absolutely detest...I am 100% American of Asian descent...when my brother had his DNA analyzed , it came back Mongolian>Pacific Islander>Portuguese>Hispanic. ( FTR my parents were both 100% Filipino) so we take the DNA results with a bit of of a smirk, because one of my other brothers had a similar report and it came back with American Indian in his results

Services (I use the word lightly) like 23andMe are about as reliable as tarot cards.

They are only interested in collecting your genetic information and that of as many people as possible, so they can eventually use it to identify you by correlating it with other information. One of the founders of 23andMe is married to Sergei Brin, the founder of Google.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

9 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

Not much in the way of participation trophies in Korea. Very merit based culture.  

Well, to be fair, there's no participation trophies on the PGA Tour. But more to the point, I've been to KFT, mini-tour, college, and even HS golf tournaments. There are none there either. It is vigorously, almost viscously competitive. (And I am simply awed at the level of the games some of the high school kids have today.)

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I hope this is ok to say in today's PC culture, but I think a big factor, all things being equal (opportunity, finances) is Korean culture is very emotionally strong. I've heard this first hand from a top level swing coach, he says watch Korean woman play golf and their demeanor rarely changes. You can't tell if they shot a 65 or a 75. And this advantage is huge playing this game. It's the mental edge. Everybody on the planet can stripe a ball.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Well, to be fair, there's no participation trophies on the PGA Tour. But more to the point, I've been to KFT, mini-tour, college, and even HS golf tournaments. There are none there either. It is vigorously, almost viscously competitive. (And I am simply awed at the level of the games some of the high school kids have today.)

Of course, highly competitive sports there are not a lot of participation trophies.  However, I am talking about the culture as whole. Levels across the board for the entire populations in many Asian countries with regard to sports, academics, work, etc are just at higher levels than the US. The Asian countries just have much more rigorous standards in just about every metric than the US. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 3whacker said:

Yeah, I have heard of people in same family that took the DNA tests have different ethnicities. 😂 I don't believe the DNA tests or the lineage reports are accurate. 

14 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Of course, highly competitive sports there are not a lot of participation trophies.  However, I am talking about the culture as whole. Levels across the board for the entire populations in many Asian countries with regard to sports, academics, work, etc are just at higher levels than the US. The Asian countries just have much more rigorous standards in just about every metric than the US. 

Completely agree. Have done a lot of business in Asia. I don't like to generalize (and Asian countries are very different), but on the whole, there are three major differences between US and Asian culture.

First, they are simply way more disciplined about education. There's little "grade inflation".

Second, family tends to be much stronger in Asia than in the US. Parents support their children, but also expect them to work and succeed.

And third, the sense of entitlement that has grown significantly in the US (especially over the last decade) doesn't exist to anywhere close to the same degree in most of Asia. There are very few "snowflakes" in South Korea or China.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I'll offer my snap judgment. Born here in the US, but parents came over from Vietnam in 1975 just before I was born. So I have a tiny bit of insight into both cultures. Plus anything I say can't be racist 😄

Asian is quite broad though, compare say Japan/South Korea/China to Cambodia, Laos, etc.

But my snap judgment ... strength. Asian bodies are different, and indeed their bodies are changing. In the LPGA the gulf between stronger and weaker players are not as big. The bulk of the LPGA players hit 250-260 plus and minus. Their game is not (yet) a distance game. Meanwhile Kevin Na was 170 out of 196th in driving distance last year even though he played well. Morikawa 111th. 

Byeong Hun An and Hideki are a little higher up but they are the longest hitters. The gap is too wide right now. It isn't for lack of desire, I'm sure many in Japan, China and Korea and the rest of Asia, would love to play on the PGA but realistically it's a lot of pure strength, power they have to overcome. You can get a lot of women to swing 95mph. Much harder to get them to 113+

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Yeah, I have heard of people in same family that took the DNA tests have different ethnicities. 😂 I don't believe the DNA tests or the lineage reports are accurate. 

I appreciate that people are into the dna ancestry thing.

Sure good to know who you great, great great were etc. 

But I say who cares really?

I mean, go back 500 years, 1000 years, 5000 years and imagine all the idiots, not to mention vile atrocities your “ancestors” committed? Life was different back then. 

Find out like, your ancestor kept Torquemada’s day-planner 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nikeblades00 said:

I hope this is ok to say in today's PC culture, but I think a big factor, all things being equal (opportunity, finances) is Korean culture is very emotionally strong. I've heard this first hand from a top level swing coach, he says watch Korean woman play golf and their demeanor rarely changes. You can't tell if they shot a 65 or a 75. And this advantage is huge playing this game. It's the mental edge. Everybody on the planet can stripe a ball.

You're right, when Si Woo Kim snapped his putter, I couldn't tell if he was having a good or bad round.  🤣

I know you further clarified "Korean Women" but I couldn't help it.  From my experience, Korean women do tend to have a temper, but as far as what you see on the LPGA, you're right that you normally don't see a lot of emotion...but doesn't mean it isn't stewing inside.

29 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I mean, go back 500 years, 1000 years, 5000 years and imagine all the idiots, not to mention vile atrocities your “ancestors” committed? Life was different back then. 

Makes me thankful for my alien DNA.  (RH-) Nobody knows my planets past. 😂

• Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 minutes ago, Cpk23 said:

Bigger question is why hasnt China produced a remotely good PGA tour player? I'm not talking someone on the fringe, I'm talking a real talent.

I think China is hundreds of years away from golf evolving, as it has here, to a game that is part of its culture, handed from middle/upper middle class fathers to sons, and developing a grass roots participation and infrastructure level, that would enable a consistent pipeline of great talent (By PGA/Euro tour standards)

China had "golf" about 500 years before the Scots believe they invented it. China had an incredible culture centuries ago, but it is was lost.

Golf is a game of status in China, to show off wealth. I've been to a golf course in China that looked amazing. It's fairly close to the border of North Korea and was 36 holes with not a blade of grass out of place. There were maybe two groups playing.

There are less than 500 courses and it's "supposedly" illegal to play or build more courses now. Somehow they get built as other projects.

There just aren't enough people out of the 1.3billion + people who can dedicate the time to play

However, here's a staggering statistic. indoor golf is very popular as are golf lessons. I've given seminars to Chinese golf teachers, too. I have some amazing photos.

3,000 full-time golf teachers in North America.

7,000 full-time golf teachers just in the city of Shanghai.

It's still a game for the wealthy and a recreation. Hundreds of years, I don't know about that.

The first time I went to China, Beijing was all bicycles and busses. Now it's traffic jam city. Everything depends on the political climate.

chinagolf2.jpeg

chinagolf1.jpeg

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

33 minutes ago, Blonde Line Lizard said:

Second verse, same as the first.

Perhaps the American LPGA players care more about fashion and how they look rather than playing golf.

Perhaps fashion and looks are other ways to secure a more steady form of income and/or lifestyle security without all the pressures of 6 foot putts and dozens of hours of practice per week.

Just now, bscinstnct said:

blade ancestors be like

4E980DB0-551D-46CF-A3F9-EA828EB046D9.jpeg

Not too far off. Little bigger. Little more hair.  More Wookiee than Ewok 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

China had "golf" about 500 years before the Scots believe they invented it. China had an incredible culture centuries ago, but it is was lost.

Golf is a game of status in China, to show off wealth. I've been to a golf course in China that looked amazing. It's fairly close to the border of North Korea and was 36 holes with not a blade of grass out of place. There were maybe two groups playing.

There are less than 500 courses and it's "supposedly" illegal to play or build more courses now. Somehow they get built as other projects.

There just aren't enough people out of the 1.3billion + people who can dedicate the time to play

However, here's a staggering statistic. indoor golf is very popular as are golf lessons. I've given seminars to Chinese golf teachers, too. I have some amazing photos.

3,000 full-time golf teachers in North America.

7,000 full-time golf teachers just in the city of Shanghai.

It's still a game for the wealthy and a recreation. Hundreds of years, I don't know about that.

The first time I went to China, Beijing was all bicycles and busses. Now it's traffic jam city. Everything depends on the political climate.

chinagolf2.jpeg

chinagolf1.jpeg

Good stuff S1.

Yes, I imagine that golf is for well off business guys and officials. 

But it’s many, many, many, generations down the road that you have millions of Chinese dads, regular guys, who learned the game from their dad and teach it to their sons. Or even have access to a course. Or it’s part of the schools/college system.

I mean, the state could fund massive golf programs, then it’s a different story.

But this would seem to contradict the stance/view of the government on golf. 

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

I recall reading somewhere that 60+ percent of people on earth are someway directly related to Genghis Khan.

Apparently he was quite the prolific.......lover.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

Tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of people in China have the time or would make the time to play, but there are few reasons why they don't. It is prohibitively expensive (like many Asian countries) and CCP government frowns greatly on golf. They destroyed hundreds of golf courses in China. If the CCP supported golf, China could produce a lot of world class professional golfers because the Chinese mentality and culture is very good fit for golf.  China would be one of the biggest markets for the golf industry, but since the CCP is extremely prohibitive of golf, golf is not growing there in the least.   

1 hour ago, Murphy76 said:

I recall reading somewhere that 60+ percent of people on earth are someway directly related to Genghis Khan.

Apparently he was quite the prolific.......lover.

Haha. I think those lineage trackers link everyone to some historical figure or royalty. They want people to think that they came from some extraordinary ancestors to make them feel good. Personally, I think it is a lot of hoopla, but whatever gets people through the day. 

2 hours ago, Cpk23 said:

Bigger question is why hasnt China produced a remotely good PGA tour player? I'm not talking someone on the fringe, I'm talking a real talent.

China is a communist country, most kids don't grow up thinking about playing sports, if they did golf wasn't on the radar until maybe now. 

4 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

I mean if we are all 6 degrees of separation from Genghis Khan our DNA is going to be all over the place ideally selecting the strongest genes of each generation. 

My wife did the DNA test too and is an adopted Korean, it came back nearly 30% Japanese , but I suspect a large % of the Korean population would see the same stat if they took the test too due to the natural patterns of immigration over X thousand years...

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

I would argue that in the USA, there are not enough opportunities/avenues for women to play golf professionally. They lack major amounts of support needed to make it to the next level once they leave college golf.

1. For women, there is the LPGA, the Symetra Tour, and after that, only TWO mini-tours for them to play on. Even if they win every single event of one of these mini-tours, they are pretty close to breaking even on their money for the season. Compare that to the men in USA, where there is the PGA, the Korn Ferry, and then TWENTY PLUS mini-tours for them to play on. Obviously, this needs a change in some capacity. Because right now, if you do not come from a family who can spend the amount necessary to go out and chase this dream of playing on the LPGA tour, it is very tough for any American woman. This leads me into my next point..

2. American women do not receive anywhere close to the same level of sponsorship/financial support compared to their Asian peers. Young women trying to make it as a professional golfer that come from Asia have a lot easier time getting sponsorship/financial support. If you have money, you can afford to just go out and play your game and not worry about the financial side of things. This is a big proponent of stress for many young women in America trying to play golf for a living.

Additionally, a lot of people in this thread need to go outside to their nearest golf course and take a look around because there are some antiquated views in here that need to stop immediately. "They are too worried about their fashion" Hey guys, this isn't the 50's any longer, these girls can play and will take your money with ease. These girls want to win. What's wrong with them wanting to look good as well? I guess you go to work everyday looking like a slob so they should too? Or does your wife pick out your clothes for you? "They just want participation trophies!" Who is the one giving the participation trophies out? Because unless the kids are the coach of the team or run the organization, its not them. Look inward. Kids and young adults know who won and lost, and aren't out there asking for participation trophies when they play. If you think this, then you haven't been around many young people recently.

There is something to be said about different cultures and how they operate, I truly believe that is a contributing factor. But that's not to say that Asian women are innately better at golf than American women. It comes down to a lot of different factors at play, and I think within the next 5-10 years, you will see a big switch happening where American women will become more prevalent on the LPGA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1