Terrible money game/skin rule

Was talking with a buddy and he was mildly complaining about a rule in their league. They play Net and Gross skins at the same time. Net skins are off the low man (low man gets 0 shots) which he happens to be.

He makes an eagle one day, wins a gross skin, and is told that "if you win a gross skin, you cannot win the net skin on the same hole" even though all players are entered into both games. So your net skin just doesn't "count", as if it never happened.

I think I was more mad than he, because after thinking about it for a minute, I told him "That means there's NO MATHEMATICAL WAY" you can EVER win a net skin since he's the low man in the field, because the only way he would ever have the low net score on a hole is if he also had the lowest gross score on the hole!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, larrybud said:

Was talking with a buddy and he was mildly complaining about a rule in their league. They play Net and Gross skins at the same time. Net skins are off the low man (low man gets 0 shots) which he happens to be.

He makes an eagle one day, wins a gross skin, and is told that "if you win a gross skin, you cannot win the net skin on the same hole" even though all players are entered into both games. So your net skin just doesn't "count", as if it never happened.

I think I was more mad than he, because after thinking about it for a minute, I told him "That means there's NO MATHEMATICAL WAY" you can EVER win a net skin since he's the low man in the field, because the only way he would ever have the low net score on a hole is if he also had the lowest gross score on the hole!

We only play a net skins game within a quota game but everyone gets only HALF their strokes.

Your buddy's game should have optional net and/or gross. Of course, if he's the low man by quite a bit nobody (else) will go into the gross.

But, as currently constructed, you are correct. He's "forced" to pay into a game he cannot win. I would certainly object to it.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Our Sunday group does "half strokes" but not "half of their strokes" for net skins.  For example, if you're a 9, you get 9 "1/2 strokes". Keeps those gross birdies alive (unless someone is > 18 and normally getting 2 full strokes). 

Works great for a larger group, and "Net 3.5" on a par 4 certainly wins skins each week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup...you are right...not much more to say.  That 'rule' is total garbage!!  

In addition, if it is a league, it should not be off of low - your group is good...it should be half strokes so that a true birdie is not cut by a net birdie.  Or another way is skins are based on 50% of hc.  

But you should ALWAYS get both.  Otherwise the low hcs should just stop entering net.

• Like 2

Yes silly rule. If it is big field net skins should be off the card, not the low man.

Having said that you buddy would have a significantly better chance at gross skins than most of the field, so I bet at the end of the season he still comes out on top. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Yes silly rule. If it is big field net skins should be off the card, not the low man.

Having said that you buddy would have a significantly better chance at gross skins than most of the field, so I bet at the end of the season he still comes out on top. 

Not sure it matters if it's off the low man or off the card.

If I'm a 0 hdcp and you are an 18 I would get no strokes and you eighteen.  

Play gross beats net and there's no issue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, denkea said:

Sure there is.

You've just taken the higher handicapper's strokes away. :classic_laugh:

Titleist Pro V1X

4 hours ago, denkea said:

Why would any 18 want to play in that game? You have to accept that there is a reason someone is an 18 and you can't expect them to play a 0 straight up. Even in a skins game. 

Edited by 2bGood

30 minutes ago, slocagolfer said:

In our net and gross skins game if you win both you get two skins on that hole. Just gross or just net - one skin. We also play off the low cap. Usually we have between 6 and 10 players. 

I think we are talking league here - so much more players - our league has typically 160 each week. 

For small field off the low many makes sense though. 

5 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I think we are talking league here - so much more players - our league has typically 160 each week. 

For small field off the low many makes sense though. 

Typically 40 groups?  Or a very crowded shotgun?  40 groups takes over 5 hours to tee off.

Edited by Shilgy

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

56 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Typically 40 groups?  Or a very crowded shotgun?  40 groups takes over 5 hours to tee off.

Correct over 40 groups - some times more sometimes less typically we run it from 10am-4pm. 

Edited by 2bGood

Should skins ever be played with handicaps off the low player IE, lowest go to zero? Skins isn't matchplay, it's net par.

I also don't think net and gross skins makes much sense either. Say you have a one and a fifteen handicapper involved, it's plausible that the one could win the net and the gross, but the fifteen is unlikely to ever win the gross, so they're only playing for half the prize. 

42 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Correct over 40 groups - some times more sometimes less typically we run it from 10am-4pm. 

Weekday at a private?

That rule is ridic! 

Another dumb rule: having to "verify" a skin with a net par or better on the next hole...as a plus handicap...when the course rates par 3's as the 15th-18th handicap holes😂. Sucks having to deuce a par 3 right after you make an eagle/birdie to hold onto a skin. 

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

11 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Sure there is.

You've just taken the higher handicapper's strokes away. :classic_laugh:

Lol exactly. You basically can't play these things as a low single digit or scratch player because oh look, the 25hdc shot a 90! I sure hope you shot a personal best by 5 strokes and/or the course record to beat him! 💩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

This is why I stopped playing in handicap games.   Beyond sandbagers, as a low cap, the guys with the higher caps will set dumb rules to keep you from winning.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

15 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Should skins ever be played with handicaps off the low player IE, lowest go to zero? Skins isn't matchplay, it's net par.

I also don't think net and gross skins makes much sense either. Say you have a one and a fifteen handicapper involved, it's plausible that the one could win the net and the gross, but the fifteen is unlikely to ever win the gross, so they're only playing for half the prize

This is true if it's a skins game only. But I don't see many high cappers playing in that game.

If the skins are in a comp that offers gross and net prizes for score, the higher cappers, not having much chance at a gross skin, is somewhat offset by his better chance at winning a net prize.

My old club had gross and net (score) prizes every day but only 1, sometimes 2 gross prizes were awarded.

Due to the number of low vs. high handicappers there were usually twice as many net prizes awarded. And nobody could win more than 1 of them.

Titleist Pro V1X

Lol. Yep. I was asked to play on a game like that recently.  After listening to the description twice I said “ nah.  I’ll just be in the gross skins for half “.  They refused that.  It was pay into both or nothing.  So I bucked again and said I’m just out then.  I played with them and didn’t participate in the game.  During the round one idiot brings it up.  I explained it like this.  “ you have any sisters ? Or younger fragile brothers ?” He’s  like yep. Two sisters younger than me “ 

I said.  This is one of those times when your parents made you “ play nice “ with them.   Which means don’t beat them at whatever game .  Don’t hit them and make them scream and most of all - make them feel like they won. I’m grown up. I don’t have to do that now unless I choose to.  He said nothing else to me about it.  Lol.  I’m still shocked that people expect folks to play a game like that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I know we are specifically talking skins so not quite the same but...

The high end country clubs around me with good players only allow you to win net or gross during a competition. Not both. Example, 2 handicap getting 5 based on course rating shoots an even par 72. If 72 is the low gross and 67 is low net you don’t win both prizes. You win the one that is worth the most money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2021 at 1:27 PM, bladehunter said:

Lol. Yep. I was asked to play on a game like that recently.  After listening to the description twice I said “ nah.  I’ll just be in the gross skins for half “.  They refused that.  It was pay into both or nothing.  So I bucked again and said I’m just out then.  I played with them and didn’t participate in the game.  During the round one idiot brings it up.  I explained it like this.  “ you have any sisters ? Or younger fragile brothers ?” He’s  like yep. Two sisters younger than me “ 

I said.  This is one of those times when your parents made you “ play nice “ with them.   Which means don’t beat them at whatever game .  Don’t hit them and make them scream and most of all - make them feel like they won. I’m grown up. I don’t have to do that now unless I choose to.  He said nothing else to me about it.  Lol.  I’m still shocked that people expect folks to play a game like that.  

Blade, I just love the way you just cut through the bs on that guy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, denkea said:

Why?  You will get a stroke holes that low cappers won't get.  I play in a Saturday game with 16 to 20 guys.  Caps from 2 to 17.  The 17 has gotten more skins over time than me a 8capper.  

Gross beats net always.  

There are people that have run the numbers on it and gross beats net favours the low cap. Pure net favours the high caps. (all off the low man in groups under 30)

As a result there are few modified skins games. One is net skins with real birdies trumping net birdies. This is statistically pretty fair to all. The other is half points for strokes. This slightly favours low caps still and also has the effect of more skins being paid out. 

On 10/26/2021 at 10:27 AM, bladehunter said:

Easier for you to win a net than the high guy to win a gross.

Just sayin’.  And I’m nearly in your boat.

12 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Easier for you to win a net than the high guy to win a gross.

Just sayin’.  And I’m nearly in your boat.

Right.  But if they don’t let the low guy win in gross skins , then why enter ? 

I prefer it played this way. All skins net.  And a gross birdie or eagle cancels a net one. So real birdie or eagle beats a net birdie or eagle. Net or gross par is a wash.  

I don’t care what anyone says. Net birdies aren’t rare for high single digit guys. They absolutely clean up in net skins.   

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock