Graphite Design experts wanted

hypergolf

Currently using the following in my woods:

Driver - 9.5* TS3 with GD Tour AD-TP 6x

3 wood - 15* TS2 with GD Tour AD-DI 7x

5 wood - 18* TS2 with GD Tour AD-DI 8x

I am planning to order TSi3 driver and TSi2 fwy woods and Titleist currently offers DI, IZ and XC.

I would need help in the following:

1. I like how TP 6x is playing currently. Out of the offerings from Titleist, which would be the preferred shaft if I wanted similar flight and bomb the heck out of my driver?

2. Since I already have DI for fwy woods, I would like to order either IZ or XC just to have some variety. Which of these would be recommended for 3 wood and 5 wood respectively?

I am not looking for answers like "go and get fitted" but rather your general experience, review and your thoughts. Thanks.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Micro Honeycomb

Ball - Srixon Z Star

1) I would give the XC a try. From my testing the XC will fly a little lower but the profile will feel similar.

2) I used to play DI in my fairway but I thought it felt a little “whippy” at times. IZ is a more stout profile, flight for me a little lower but feels more stable.

Hope that helps and good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sim2  8* (Graphite Design Tour AD UB 6x) - Driver

Sim2  13.5* (Graphite Design Tour AD TP 7x) - 3 Wood

Srixon ZX  (KBS Proto Hybrid 85 S) - 2 Iron

P770 (Nippon Modus3  Tour 105 S) - 4-AW

SM8 (S200) - 55*, 60*

Phantom 5.5

51 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

Currently using the following in my woods:

Driver - 9.5* TS3 with GD Tour AD-TP 6x

3 wood - 15* TS2 with GD Tour AD-DI 7x

5 wood - 18* TS2 with GD Tour AD-DI 8x

I am planning to order TSi3 driver and TSi2 fwy woods and Titleist currently offers DI, IZ and XC.

I would need help in the following:

1. I like how TP 6x is playing currently. Out of the offerings from Titleist, which would be the preferred shaft if I wanted similar flight and bomb the heck out of my driver?

2. Since I already have DI for fwy woods, I would like to order either IZ or XC just to have some variety. Which of these would be recommended for 3 wood and 5 wood respectively?

I am not looking for answers like "go and get fitted" but rather your general experience, review and your thoughts. Thanks.

Do you like the shots you produce with  your TS2 fairway woods,  DI 7X and 8X ?

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, hypergolf said:

According to the flex profile data, the IZ is the closest to the TP.

• Thanks 1

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : KBS TD 70 Cat 3 / Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Nippon Modus 3 120-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Not an expert by any means but the XC seems the most similar to the TP in the driver. Both for me were lower launching shafts especially in comparison to DI and IZ. On the fairway wood side the DI and IZ had similar launch for my swing, maybe slightly higher with IZ. If you want a bigger delta maybe get the XC as an experiment. The IZ would be better for most players in a fairway wood versus the XC though. 

• Thanks 1

Why pay the $200 upgrade charge when you like the way the AD-TP is performing? It's the same exact adapter. As for comparison, the various answers prove that shafts are 100% subjective. I own all of the shafts mentioned and feel like the XC feels farthest from the TP. The IZ is the most similar in my opinion. It's more of a one piece feel like the TP where as the XC feels softer in the butt section. I prefer the TP over all of them, and I would recommend saving $200 and just order a stock shaft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* - PX Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70 6.5
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* - Tour AD DI 85x
Callaway XR Pro TC Hybrid 18* - Tour AD DI 95x
Callaway XR Pro TC Hybrid 23* - Tour AD DI 95x

Maltby TS-1 5 iron - KBS Tour 120s

Srixon Z745 6-PW - KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*
Scratch 56* & 60* 

Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 350g

3 hours ago, Cellis said:

1) I would give the XC a try. From my testing the XC will fly a little lower but the profile will feel similar.

2) I used to play DI in my fairway but I thought it felt a little “whippy” at times. IZ is a more stout profile, flight for me a little lower but feels more stable.

Hope that helps and good luck!

I second this.  My cousin has the TP and while the XC may not be an exact match, it will be the most stable option but will launch a little lower.  The IZ is perfect for fairway metals IMO because it launches higher than the DI but won't play as loose or whippy. 

• Thanks 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

HD is the closest I hit to the TP and feels better.  

XC is an improved BB but with better feel in the hands.

DI and IZ are the softest of the bunch.

IZ was the longest shaft of the bunch but hard to control if I tried to go after it.

DI I never cared for as it spun too much.

Played the TP for most of last year and then tried the IZ, XC and HD this year.  HD was the winner with XC a close 2nd.

Hit some of the longest drives with the IZ but dispersion was a mixed bag.

HD had the best mix or distance, dispersion and feel to me of the shafts noted.

Back to a Diamana D+ 70 though as it just works for me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

My cousin has the TP and while the XC may not be an exact match, it will be the most stable option but will launch a little lower.  The IZ is perfect for fairway metals IMO because it launches higher than the DI but won't play as loose or whippy. 

I current game the XC and have a TP in 6X in the garage that I could go back to.  Agree with what @phizzy30 said above.

42 minutes ago, Radeon962 said:

@Radeon962 hit the nail on the head here.  XC is the "next Gen" of the BB.  Soft in the hands, low(ish) launching but very stable.  Its the only GD shaft I can really go after without any concern.  

And as others have noted, the IZ is a higher launching, more stable version of the DI.  You should probably check that out for your fairway woods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TS3 10.5*: Diamana DF 6X

Titleist 917D2 12* Tour Issue: Graphite Design XC 7X

Titleist 818H2 19* (set at 18*): Tensei Pro White 90X

Grindworks PR-202 4i, 6i-PW: Modus3 120X

Vega VW-08 50* (set at 48*): KBS 610 Wedge 125

Vega VW-10 52*: KBS Tour 120 FLT

Mizuno S18 54* DG TI S400

Yururi Gekku 58*: Modus 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Titleist ProV1x

2 hours ago, Radeon962 said:

HD is the closest I hit to the TP and feels better.  

DI and IZ are the softest of the bunch.

IZ was the longest shaft of the bunch but hard to control if I tried to go after it.

DI I never cared for as it spun too much.

Played the TP for most of last year and then tried the IZ, XC and HD this year.  HD was the winner with XC a close 2nd.

Hit some of the longest drives with the IZ but dispersion was a mixed bag.

HD had the best mix or distance, dispersion and feel to me of the shafts noted.

Back to a Diamana D+ 70 though as it just works for me.

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

Could you elaborate a bit more when you say HD feels better than TP.

Do you also think XC will be suitable for 3 and 5 fwy wood? I am looking for something that gives lower, more penetrating flight compared to DI with better dispersion. I tend to hook the crap out of DI if I over power it.

Thanks.

Edited by hypergolf

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Micro Honeycomb

Ball - Srixon Z Star

It just goes to show you that you need to hit them to get an idea.  For me xc was an absolute disaster and the worst GD shaft I have ever hit.  Even in tx flex I couldn’t keep it on the planet.  It also feels nothing like a bb imo.  Most people I fit into the TP play the VR in their fwy with a couple playing the iz or di.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G KBS $-taper 120

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X KBS $-taper 120
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black
Best Grips, BB&F
Bridgestone Tour BXS yellow

1 hour ago, hypergolf said:

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

Could you elaborate a bit more when you say HD feels better than TP.

Do you also think XC will be suitable for 3 and 5 fwy wood? I am looking for something that gives lower, more penetrating flight compared to DI with better dispersion. I tend to hook the crap out of DI if I over power it.

Thanks.

Try this chart out from: PDF – Wood Comparison – Pro's Choice Golf Shafts (proschoicegolfshafts.com)

It is very accurate when comparing one GD shaft to another.  GD shafts all tend to have somewhat of the same basic bend profile and then the specific shaft is tweaked by GD to provide more specific flexes in each zone.  The newer releases have newer materials so IMO the newer shafts have better feel and overall seem like better shafts in distance and dispersion.

TP is a great shaft, it just does not have the feel that the HD does, probably due to the newer material in the HD.

XC is more like a Diamana D+ as it is soft in the hands and stiff mid and stiff tip.  These are relative terms to other GD shafts as the XC is not as stiff in the tip as say a Tensei Pro White.

XC would be fine in a 3w/5w depending on what type of feel you like in your fairway woods. I like the softer butt shafts but stiffer mid and tip, but not overly so as for my swing and how I load the shaft I don't need an ultra stiff tip or mid as it seems like you also lose feel with those unless you have a late release and/or generate a lot of speed.  I don't believe you would hook the XC unless the flex and/or tipping is off for your swing.

I would tend more towards a slightly softer mid/tip shaft in the fairway wood like the HD rather than the XC but it is all personal to how you load the shaft.  Tipping can play a big part of what you are looking for in a specific shaft, so either "buy and try" to experiment or get fit.

VR is another I tried but it is similar to the TP and HD but with less feel as the butt end is a bit stiffer than both.  I liked the HD the most, then the TP and then the VR.  VR felt the most "brittle" of the bunch to me.

DI has a very soft mid and why some get along with it and others don't.  More like a Diamana Blue profile but softer overall in my opinion.

IZ is like a DI but with better control as it has the newer material in it I believe. IZ has a soft mid, not as soft as the DI and has a wonderful kick to it and seems a bit more controllable than the DI, but I would imagine if you are hooking the DI then the IZ is going to be similar in that respect.

If you have a GD that you like but want a bit stiffer mid, tip or softer butt, whatever, compare what you know and have hit to the chart and it should steer you in a direction.

I would say if you like a shaft like a Diamana D+/White you are going to tend to like the HD, TP or XC.

If your swing is more Diamana S+/Blue you are going to tend to like the DI, IZ and possibly the VR.  The VR was a strange shaft to me as the firmer butt gave you a different sensation at impact that I don't care for, but many do like a stiffer butt end as they get the feeling that they may have more control of the shaft.

If you are an old Aldila NV profile type user, there are no real GD profiles that match up well as the NV was a very linear shaft from tip to butt and more of a one-piece type of shaft in performance and feel, depending on the weight.

Another good source of shaft reviews is: Graphite Design Tour AD HD Shaft Review | Not allowed because of spam They do a very good job of comparing shafts to other shafts and I have found that they are very accurate in their assessments.

1387667241_GraphiteDesignShafts.jpg.b289a39a902f583f7e015014e1b4a8a9.jpg

• Like 1

You already have Titleist tipped shafts, just put them in the new heads and be sure SW is the same.

If you really wanna try something new, try the IZ in the fairways instead of the DI - but if you dont need to change then dont.

• Like 1

Epic Speed + ZF 6 / TSi2 17.25 + AD HD 7 / TSi2 20.25 + AD MJ 8 / Apex 21 4 + RIP 100  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon JDM Austin