2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mixed feelings about winter coming...

mvhoffman

Kind of looking forward to winter in northern Ohio.  Have a stack of books I want to read and I want to continue the swing work that led to my best ball striking year of my life.   They are putting a simulator in nearby and I am working on funding a MEVO plus for my high school golfers so I will get some time on that too.

Kind of look forward to sleeping in on a weekend morning too.  We play at the crack of dawn on Saturdays and Sunday all season so there is very little sleeping in.

Hoping to sneak south in early spring for a long weekend of golf.

Not looking forward to moving snow at all.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:07 AM, Ferguson said:

I had 14 straight at 78 or better.  Overall, my best season in 5 years with little to no practice. 

We can play all winter, although Jan and Feb are tough. 

Same here on Jan and Feb. I just joined my first ever men's league and hope to play for a little while longer.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Late autumn here in the UK and to be honest its unusually mild but with winter just around the corner, courses are getting wetter and clubs will be in maintenance mode soon.  You’ll be finding me on the Driving Range till at least march after 7 (9-hole) mixed rounds, got goals set for over winter so practice season for me. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, caniac6 said:

We play year round in NC, but I’m not looking forward to the wet and muddy conditions when the Bermuda goes dormant.

Kinda like us here at the beach--- They are predicting a dry warm weather this year for The Grand Strand area of SC ( shrug)--- I do not know on the Triad area of NC

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

4 hours ago, buckrogers71 said:

Played horribly this spring and summer and kinda lost my zest for playing. I coach HS soccer so since mid-august I've played twice. Maybe squeeze a round in next week or veterans day, but meh...might just bring the clubs in and call it a season.  

Hang in there bedy bedy bedy Buck!

17CD6A99-DDBD-4EF0-B2E1-572ACB1E0702.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, caniac6 said:

We play year round in NC, but I’m not looking forward to the wet and muddy conditions when the Bermuda goes dormant.

You have to look at the positives, dormant Bermuda means no rough. Course is wide open.  

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

When I was young, I loved winter. Had a place near a ski resort and I would ski  literally every weekend.

Then, I got older, had kids, yada..yada... and the skis got permanently put away after a vicious wipe-out that damn near killed me.

Although I had played for years, sometime in my mid 20's I got hooked on golf. Within a few seasons, it became my new addiction.

Now, I love the beginning of spring and absolutely detest this time of the year.

Luckily I found a group of idiots who will go out whenever the courses will allow. Couple those outings with a few southern jaunts and I have enough carrots dangling on sticks to keep my sanity for most of the off season.

We have our annual mid March Myrtle blast every year and when that ends, it marks the beginning of the official season here in PA.

All that said...February sucks.

Like A Boss Car GIF

X________________________________ Sign Here

Chiberia here (Chicago) and I hope to be able to play into late November. Few years ago we played a few 9 hole rounds in December. Then it's time to re-read all the golf books, look for the magic potion I need and then scour eBay for the clubs to make it happen I know its "hope over experience" but hey what else you gonna do when it snows!

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Though I wouldn't' mind playing a little more golf we've had so much rain here in the North East that the ground is saturated--- I hate playing in mud and soft ground.  Also now with dramatically shorter daylight and iffy weather here in the NE the opportunities to play get less and less.  Also I always dislike playing with the sun angle so low this time of year--- finding my ball is tougher and it just messes with my eyes.   

Overall though I ended the year improving.  After my index hit its highest in a decade, mostly because of bad driving that had eroded the last 3 years and got horrifically bad this year, I finally hit rock bottom and sought professional help 🙂   After a few lessons from a good pro I started driving much better and golf suddenly became enjoyable again and my index started trending down.   

Overall though I'm glad winter is coming and the clubs will soon trade places with the skis from the basement to the garage.

As soon as I go rip a few groomers I'll completely forget about playing golf until April 🙂   

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

I HATE Winter! I am not ready to stop playing. It will be a long winter but going to Indoor range and simulator all winter will help with the needs. 

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Put my clubs away three weeks ago but it was nice dry 14 C and sunny in Vancouver and decided to play  
Been just putting indoor during the past few weeks and reading up tips on putting. 
Well too much knowledge screw me over and I couldn’t putt.  Had to take my hybrid out for most of the round just so I could just putt instinctively.  I had that happen to me once last year and I remember putting with a belly wedge for a round 

Not sure how I could do what some of you guys do and put the clubs away for the winter. I get that Scotland gets a bad wrap when it comes to weather but for the most part, we get to play all year round. It can be cold, wet and windy but we have lucked out with snow the past few winters which means that we are able to get out there. It might be winter tees and greens and either mats on the fairway or kick it to the side and play from the rough but we can still get a swing. That said, I must admit, I am kinda looking forward to the winter and getting the chance to try and get some work done fitness wise…definitely have the dad bod on the go and I genuinely feel like it’s hurting my golf game so that has to change!!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I don't mind winter, gives my back some rest and the time off makes me excited for golf when the weather starts to turn in the spring. No other real winter hobbies I just mess up digital people on x box. Plus my liver gets a rest, I only really drink when I golf, beer keeps my clubs intact.

Wow my 1st day of retirement and the weather never got above 50*, windy rain off and on. Supposed to be like that all week but colder. I should have retired 2 months ago. My clubs are so ready but I'm not

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I feel your pain. The lows are starting to hit into the 50s. Normally I go barefoot out on the driveway to get the Sunday paper, but I had to wear sandals this weekend. That time of year, you know? I just turned the pool heater on to keep it at an enjoyable 88 degrees. Gone are the dog days of summer.  8 AM tee time this Sunday is just right in that in between zone. Shorts for sure, but do you start up with long sleeves? I don't know. I like to put sunscreen on at the house so I'll probably let it breath and just wear a polo and be chilly on the first couple holes. Pro tip, keep a hand warmer in the bag with your balls so they will fly farther. 

image.png.61155e26052e41a5afb9b72a432c38a9.png

• Haha 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

On 11/1/2021 at 1:29 PM, Tiptx1122 said:

Wow my 1st day of retirement and the weather never got above 50*, windy rain off and on. Supposed to be like that all week but colder. I should have retired 2 months ago. My clubs are so ready but I'm not

Congrats on the retirement!

50 and intermittent rain gives me a mostly open course most of the time and those that are out there move along nicely.  It's one aspect of winter golf I enjoy.  I don't enjoy the results of hitting down on a golf ball in a soaked fairway though.  

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

20 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

I feel your pain. The lows are starting to hit into the 50s. Normally I go barefoot out on the driveway to get the Sunday paper, but I had to wear sandals this weekend. That time of year, you know? I just turned the pool heater on to keep it at an enjoyable 88 degrees. Gone are the dog days of summer.  8 AM tee time this Sunday is just right in that in between zone. Shorts for sure, but do you start up with long sleeves? I don't know. I like to put sunscreen on at the house so I'll probably let it breath and just wear a polo and be chilly on the first couple holes. Pro tip, keep a hand warmer in the bag with your balls so they will fly farther. 

image.png.61155e26052e41a5afb9b72a432c38a9.png

It was *28 here this morning in PA.  Thick frost layer on the grass.  Ski season is right around the corner

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Some mixed feelings as the weather gets colder around the Boston area.  Playing in the warm weather is obviously the best but fall golf is pretty nice as well, with less people and cooler days.  I'll continue to play through  the winter, when there's no snow on the ground, and it's enjoyable although no where near as good as summertime.  But playing in the colder weather has its benefits - very few people playing, very quiet and peaceful, and watching funny bounces on the frozen turf too.  It's a good time to work on your swing and not really worry about score too. 

Hoping to squeeze a few more rounds in before the ground gets hard.  During the winter is when I tend to tinker with my clubs, however this winter will be different.  Winter of 2019/2020 was changing from steel to graphite in the 3-PW irons & a "new" driver.  My hands were the most appreciative of the switch to graphite.  I built the irons to match the SW of the previous set.  Noticed a big improvement in accuracy, but distance was usually short with the occasional long ball.  Last winter I did an MOI conversion with the irons using my 8 iron as my base club.  From there I changed the lengths to a 3/8" increment from the 1/2" that they used to be at.  This season I came close 3 times to tying my best ever score by one stroke.  By biggest learning curve this year was to try and loose the caveman mentality with hitting an iron shot.  If I tried to put too much into the shot it was not a pretty sight to behold (unless you were the opposition).  Just a nice controlled tempo swing is the trick.  Plus, the distance was back to what I had with steel shafts.  Being 63, don't know how much longer it will last (but not going to look the gift horse in the mouth either).  About the only thing this winter has is changing grips.  The current ones have gone about 4 seasons. Shows how much I am able to get out.

So now that winter is basically here in the upper Midwest I am now annoyed that my season is over. I went out yesterday and played ok, so that may be a part of it. It would've been nice to go out on a good scoring round. I'll look at the positives I guess, I only lost 1 ball, and I probably could have found it if I bothered to look, and it was a course I hadn't played before.

We have a couple more days of very nice weather, but we're looking at possibly the first snowfall of the season on Friday and some trees decided to drop a bunch of leaves, so I'll probably take my golf time to clear off my driveway and walkways. The joys of being an adult.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft