What's the one shot you need to take your game to the next level?

vbb

I know there are going to be a lot of funny responses to this question, but I am attempting to be serious. Most of us know that the difference between being "bad" and "decent" at golf is consistency. We all have hit the shots we need to be scratch or low-single digit players, but they just hit them more regularly, and manage their misses a lot better. Anyone who has played this game for a period of time has had the experience where you're playing with a better player and are doing a lot of the things he is doing, but then when you miss, your ball is OB and when he misses it's not. Or he gets up and down from a bunker and you take 2 to get out then two putt. Things like that. 

But what I'm talking about are shots you simply don't have....and if you did, your game would be significantly better. Shots where you look at another player and are like yeah, I don't even have that shot in my bag. Anything like that come to mind?

For me, it is the ability to have a reliable, go-to chip shot from within about 15-20yds. Something that is guaranteed to hit the green and give me a look. I NEED that to get to my next level. When I'm on, I can rack up pars and even some birdies. As a 12, I can break 40 on a 9 and have done so more than I can count. But if I'm missing greens, my short game is atrocious, and at this point I'm working on just a band-aid go to shot so I can at least have a par putt rather than hitting a chunk or bladed shot which turns it into a double. Just like I can break 40, I can also put up a 50 when I get on the double bogey train. I'll sometimes look at my playing partners with envy because even if I'm a "better" golfer than they might be, they don't seem to hit as many bad shots as I do around the green. 

Are there any shots that you simply don't have, but need if you want to reach the next level, whatever that is for you? In answering, it might be helpful to say what your handicap index is.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* Oban Devotion 6 (#4) shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Odyssey O-Works #7S

Interesting topic.

I've been in the 5-ish range for several years now and to the point in your first paragraph it is really about consistency.

With irons and wedges I can hit pretty much every shot you can think of subject to the consistency/success rate of a mid single digit index.

Right now I play a fade with driver. Any draws I hit are accidental. I used to play a draw and at the time any fades I hit were accidental. Long story about the change but conventional wisdom would say that right now I'm "missing" the draw with driver. But in actual fact, I'm not and it's not a big deal.

I have yet to come across a hole where the fade isn't a workable option. Sure, a draw would be beneficial on some holes but straight or small fade is never going to kill me.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : KBS TD 70 Cat 3 / Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Nippon Modus 3 120-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

As a 9.5 index, there isn't any one shot I need to get down to say a 5.

What I need most is to minimize my bad misses, which is the occasional snap hook from my 7iron down to my driver.  The days I play my absolute best, I can either avoid the few snaps, or when I do snap it over, it ends up in a place I can still play from by sheer luck.  On bad days, I get penalized by the snap hook when it happens, and end up playing all shots over to the right even if they end up going straight to where I'm aiming right.

4 months ago I would have said chipping and putting is about even with avoiding the snap hook, but I've been somewhat successful in working on my chipping and putting through lots of practice.  Always room to get better with the short game though.

If I could guarantee hitting middle of the green from 100 yards out or 50 yards out, I'd easily shave a few strokes off per round.  I can land a decent amount but I'm not as confident as my single cap friends.  

• Like 1

Honma 737-445cc 9.5 driver Honma Vizard 70g

Adams Pro Mini 18 Aldila Tour green

Adams Pro Mini 23 Aldila Tour green

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

Cleveland 588 Endo Forged MB 4-PW

Miura 50 Forged Wedge, Yururi Forged Wedge 53, Honma Forged Wedge 56

Ping Anser 4 BECU w/ UST frequency filtered shaft

Jones William Murray edition carry bag

As a 17.2 unfortunately I probably need more than just one shot lol. I think with my current game it's a combination of the 15-20 yard chip and/or the dependable putt from 10 feet. My chipping had been very inconsistent lately, so many that the club just goes right under the ball, combine that with my putting not working as well lately and it leads to some disappointing holes.

For me it is more a case of the shot I need to get rid of, rather than one I need. Been in and around a 4-5 hcp for a while, and the bad scores come when I get quick with my driver and either pull it or block it  - those days are miserable, as you lurch from one over-correction to another. Even when playing well, the pull/pull hook can sneak its way in and be pretty destructive to scorecard and confidence. Stepping on to a tee box secure in the knowledge it is very unlikely to happen, to the point of being able to laugh it off when a bad tee shot inevitably happens , would be huge.

• Like 1

This is an interesting question that makes me think a lot of people analyze their game incorrectly. We see so many people that say they need to improve their short game because they miss a lot of greens and a better short game would save them strokes. I posit that people need to first figure out why they aren't hitting more greens. Are they in decent shape in the fairway but their iron game is lacking or are they not getting off the tee well and that is making it harder to get onto those greens? When I saw the improvement that took me out of the 90s and into the mid 80s, it wasn't because my chipping/putting had improved, it was because my tee balls had improved.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LBB said:

As a 9.5 index, there isn't any one shot I need to get down to say a 5.

What I need most is to minimize my bad misses, which is the occasional snap hook from my 7iron down to my driver.  The days I play my absolute best, I can either avoid the few snaps, or when I do snap it over, it ends up in a place I can still play from by sheer luck.  On bad days, I get penalized by the snap hook when it happens, and end up playing all shots over to the right even if they end up going straight to where I'm aiming right.

4 months ago I would have said chipping and putting is about even with avoiding the snap hook, but I've been somewhat successful in working on my chipping and putting through lots of practice.  Always room to get better with the short game though.

As a +0.4 index, if I had DJ's driver, I reckon I could probably knock three shots off my handicap. If you're a 9.5, unless your major strength is your driving, most likely his driver would get you down below 5. Hitting it that far and that solidly and consistently would do wonders for virtually anyone's game who isn't already pushing for the PGA tour.

Either way - DJ's driver is my answer to this question.

• Haha 2

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
Titleist 714CB 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Lob wedge. I've never hit an average shot with a lob wedge. It's either very good, or very bad. There are some chip shots around some of our greens that would be easier with a lob wedge, and we have a drivable par 4, that I can't drive, where the 2nd shot would be a lot easier with a lob wedge.

27 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

This is an interesting question that makes me think a lot of people analyze their game incorrectly. We see so many people that say they need to improve their short game because they miss a lot of greens and a better short game would save them strokes. I posit that people need to first figure out why they aren't hitting more greens. Are they in decent shape in the fairway but their iron game is lacking or are they not getting off the tee well and that is making it harder to get onto those greens? When I saw the improvement that took me out of the 90s and into the mid 80s, it wasn't because my chipping/putting had improved, it was because my tee balls had improved.

I understand that perspective and agree with parts of it. You have to hit better irons and wedges to hit more greens in reg, and you have to hit more fairways to have irons and wedges into greens, so you have to be decent off the tee. But I don't think I'm analyzing my game incorrectly either. My "next level" would be a mid-upper single digit, and while all aspects of my game could definitely be improved, I also know that hitting 18 greens and 14 fairways is totally unrealistic, so I'll have to miss less bad and less often. And my truly bad misses are usually around the green, where I've hit a good tee ball, a decently good approach leaving me AROUND the green, and then instead of getting up and down or at least on with a look a par, I proceed to turn it into a double. Landing your approach in your run of the mill greenside bunker or 10yds left of the green shouldn't be a double bogey...not if you want to be a single digit.

So, if I could just take away two or three of those absolutely stupid doubles caused by horrible chipping, I'm gonna shave 3 or 4 strokes off of my average round, even without changing anything else. Boom, I'm an 8.

That's my logic.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* Oban Devotion 6 (#4) shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Odyssey O-Works #7S

I'm a consistent driver of the ball.  Other then putting it's the best part of my game.  When I shoot mid 70s as a 9 handicap it's because my pitching/chipping was good that day.  My game improved as soon as I developed a consistent pitch from 10 to 50 yards out.  It's the one shot I practice the most.  It also helps with the rest of the game.  The swing translates to fuller shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

As a +0.4 index, if I had DJ's driver, I reckon I could probably knock three shots off my handicap. If you're a 9.5, unless your major strength is your driving, most likely his driver would get you down below 5. Hitting it that far and that solidly and consistently would do wonders for virtually anyone's game who isn't already pushing for the PGA tour.

I don't think an extra 5 yards off the tee is going to shave 4.5 off my index.  Hitting it straighter more often might be a couple strokes though.

The one shot that would take me to the next level is my putting from 3+ feet.

Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.0
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34", 40g TourLock Pro+ counter weight
Srixon Z Star Tour Yellow

I think if I could improve my up and down percentage I’d definitely improve by many strokes. So I guess dependable chip shot

TSi4 9 Ventus Black 6TX or Sim Max 9 LAGP AXS Blue 6x 

Tsi2 16.5 LAGP AXS Blue 7x 

2 716 TMB x100

4-PW ZX7 TI X100 

SM8 50.08, 54.12 @55 and 60.08 TI S400

Legacy Powell Prototype

Titleist -ProV1X or Prov1

Great point above about hitting more greens. For the longest time I was in the “short game for scoring” Camp but the Lou Stagner data pretty much all translates to the importance of better long game. 

This sounds overly simplistic but when Ive played my best (low/mid single digit handicap) it’s when I groove a 75% iron swing that I can repeat for 18 holes, a weekend, a month, etc. Especially in competition, having the stock reliable shot, even if it’s taking an extra club, that I know I can aim middle of the green and if I push or pull it 10 yards I’m still fine. Vastly more effective is when I know my miss will be one side or the other, but that’s more elusive. But ultimately, it’s finding that swing that down the stretch when I just NEED to make a par I can rely on it. 

As for the posts about the reliable short game shot, let me suggest the back foot 54* square-to-closed wedge. Keep it low, learn how to pop it out of rough, etc. Open it a little to elevate, close it a little to get it across the green. Get the hang of that and you’ll be all the more confident aiming away from the pin. 

• Like 1

A solidly struck 9iron, 8 iron, 7 iron, 6 iron, 5 iron or 4 iron with minimal and repeatable curve. That is the biggest difference between me and the +5/+6 amateur crowd. Mostly have to swing it better, but may look at a 4H/5H and maybe 6H.  

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 2

M5 (9 set to 8.25), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 45.5", GP Midsize

TM SLDR S (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 43.5", GP Midsize

TSi2 (18, B1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX 41.5", GP Midsize

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), PX 7.0, Red Dot, GP Midsize

Glide 3.0 (51.13SS, 55.13SS, 60.06TS), PX 6.5, Red Dot, GP Midsize

Stingray Nova (34", 70 lie)

Pro V1X

Definitely +20y off the tee with tighter dispersion, would help approaches immensely.

Fall 2021

Cobra King F6+ 1W 10.5° (orange) Diamana D+ 62

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4W 16.5° Rogue White 70

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3Hy KBS Hybrid 80

Callaway Apex 19 4Hy 23° EvenFlow Black 85

Callaway 2018 X-Forged 5i-7i / Apex MB 8i-PW Modus 120

Mizuno S18 51.08 56.10 60.10 DG Wedge

Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 CS / Piretti Cottonwood II CS

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

140 to 175 yard midhi fade to Pins hence 4,22 G410 hybrid.

Putting,Chipnrun,Sand play,Fairways hit,im ok there.... 

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

13 hours ago, vbb said:

But what I'm talking about are shots you simply don't have....and if you did, your game would be significantly better.

The one that goes straight at my target when I'm not swinging that well

Driver Cobra RadSpeed 9.0* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

3w: Cobra RadSpeed 14.5* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

5w: Cobra F9 18.5* / UST Proforce V2 7F4

Utility Srixon ZX 18* / Fujikura Ventus Black HB 10TX
Irons:  Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-PW / Project X LS 6.5
Wedges:  Mizuno T20 Raw 50, 54, 58 / Project X LS 6.0

Putter: Cameron Studio Style NewportOdyssey Big #7 Armlock

Seems to be the common response and would be my answer too - Consistent driver.

I have enough length i.e consistent with the rest of my game such that I can bail out with a 3 wood or driving iron but my misses off the tee with driver are horrendous. I’m a 7.2 hcp now and without fail at least 2 holes a round I’m throwing away 4 shots (hitting 3 off the tee or recovery shot sideways to a playable area. Even just missing fairways to the first cut would be acceptable at this point 😂😂

• Like 2

Cobra F7  Fujikura Pro S

Cobra F6 3 Wood Fujikura Pro S

Srixon Z U85 3 Utility Recoil 95 F4

Callaway Apex Pro 16 4-P Recoil 110 F4

Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58

Odyssey Bird of Prey

14 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

I play with a couple of guys who have dabbled on mini tours. They out drive me by 25 to 30 yards on average and hit it straighter, and I am not short. I usually have one to two drives a round that get me in trouble. 

There are a few times I have seen them hit shots I dont have in my bag, but usually there is one a round they hit that i say i dont have that one. Almost all of them involve length and accuracy. 

Case in point, i am 10 to 15 yards behind big Mike one day on 18. Reachable par 5. I am 245 out, he is 230 to 235. I hit 3w left of the green. He hits 3 iron to 3 feet. Low bullet that stops on a dime. That sound, dang. I don't have that shot. He shoots 67. I shoot 75. Most of it was he had 2 less clubs into greens and kept sticking them close until he finally made a few birdies and the eagle in the back 9.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", D3 surefit and H2, D5 SW, 45 3/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13° Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1 1/2" 43 1/2", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft, D4,Snake Eyes quick strike tour 18° hybrid, Xcaliber T6* TS untipped (soft stepped)

Maltby KE4 tour hybrid, 22°, kuro kage black shaft X 

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120X soft stepped once, D4, 2° flat, 4-PW

Maltby TSW wedges,  DG X100 Sensicore,  50°, 54°, 58°, 2° flat

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

I’m an 11, trending better.  For me it’s irons in general.  Just get on the damn green.  You could land a plane on it, and I’m missing it with short irons???  For honorable mention, a more solid 5 wood.

M4 Driver D-type
XR16 5 wood

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
6-GW Maltby STi irons, graphite
54 & 58º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

I can hit all sorts of shots around the green, including being excellent at flop shots, but I cannot successfully play a green-side bunker shot to save my life. I either leave it in the bunker or pick it clean. I have watched practically every video lesson there is, tried every variation of technique to no avail. Unfortunately, the course I belong to has no practice bunker and the nearby public course where I could practice or get a lesson has terrible bunkers that basically have no sand in them and are at the opposite extreme to what my home course bunkers are like.

My driver. It's better, but it's still anybody's guess where it's going. Usually in it's intended direction, but sometimes it's going left. Pretty much every other club in my bag has at least one really good shot for me. The driver is sketchy.

<edit> I'm ok with my lack of distance, I just want to direct it like I can my other woods.

Edited by lefthack

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips