Iron shafts for aging golfers!

playit

Starting to play again after eight year layoff. Obviously, aged eight years! Will be 68 soon. Had shoulder surgery, rotator cuff, about 20 years ago and it still hurts me. I quit playing due to pain and also the frustration from reduced skill level last attempt. Trying again because I do love golf. Assuming I continue with trying to play again (aches and pains are a drag), I probably need shafts less stiff than I have always played. The Rifle 5.5 shafts I have in my TaylorMade RAC irons, I am confused about them, whether they are regular or stiff, I read conflicting info on that. Whatever they are, perhaps they are too stiff. The shoulder problem, also a left hand injury and general aging, just weaker! I am shocked with the distance I have lost. I used to hit a 5 iron 180 yards and now I am getting 150-160. So, what about lighter shafts? I guess that means graphite. Anyone know how I could test graphite? Do they make demo graphite irons? Do clubfitters carry graphite irons to test? If anyone uses graphite shafts in irons, how do you like them?

Another alternative are the MMTs. Feel stiff like steel but the impact is much softer. I’m younger than you but also got these due to rotator cuff surgery and they’re awesome.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

1 hour ago, playit said:

Starting to play again after eight year layoff. Obviously, aged eight years! Will be 68 soon. Had shoulder surgery, rotator cuff, about 20 years ago and it still hurts me. I quit playing due to pain and also the frustration from reduced skill level last attempt. Trying again because I do love golf. Assuming I continue with trying to play again (aches and pains are a drag), I probably need shafts less stiff than I have always played. The Rifle 5.5 shafts I have in my TaylorMade RAC irons, I am confused about them, whether they are regular or stiff, I read conflicting info on that. Whatever they are, perhaps they are too stiff. The shoulder problem, also a left hand injury and general aging, just weaker! I am shocked with the distance I have lost. I used to hit a 5 iron 180 yards and now I am getting 150-160. So, what about lighter shafts? I guess that means graphite. Anyone know how I could test graphite? Do they make demo graphite irons? Do clubfitters carry graphite irons to test? If anyone uses graphite shafts in irons, how do you like them?

Go with the superlite Recoils.  680 or 780.  I am 65 with "Uncle Arthur" visiting and golfers elbow  and these are perfect.

Edited by dhacker56
  • Like 1

Callaway Pre Owned has a pretty good return policy.  They have a men's Apex 19  7 iron with a 40LL pink ladies shaft on clearance for $43.

When I signed up they sent me a coupon for free shipping.

You may also want to try SGI or GI clubs as you shouldn't practice as hard as you did when you were healthy.  If you can, I would suggest practicing at home.

This will allow you to take just a few swings at a time to give your body plenty of time to recover.

The last thing you want to do is to go to a range, think you need to finish off that bucket of balls, and hurt yourself.

It may also help to find a 9 hole or Executive golf course.  I found one just fifteen minutes away. 

It has tiny bermuda greens, some just thirty feet across, so it is best if I play the par 3s as very short par 4s.

The goal is to execute my shots and find my ball, playing as a single.

I just ordered a 49 degree SGI AW to replace my older 9I and PW.  The idea is to play with just a 4I, 7I, AW, SW, and putter.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

I went to graphite 30 years ago, light weight graphite 20 years ago, senior flex ten years ago. My latest change was two years ago to SGI irons. Every one of these changes was a positive for my game in terms of compensating for my advancing age.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

2 hours ago, playit said:

Old Rifle standard are frequency matched and 5.5 is stiff.  Years back I played Rifle 6.5.  With age comes the battle of muscle degeneration, which I have fought for a number of years.  Now 70, the battle is even more pronounced.  Partly why I switched to composition shafts.  I played PX 6.0 for a long time, loved them, then PX 5.5 but thought switching to composite was wise. 

Think I switched about 3yrs ago.  Tried a number of lightweight graphite shafts.  Long story short, most of them are mid-bend which doesn't work for me.  I finally went with MMT 125s and glad I did.  Though they are heavier, distance and low dispersion benefits of MMT are great, plus the wear and tear on my body is lessened.  Lightweight MMT 105 and Steelfiber i95cw composite graphite are both amazing. 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I’m going to echo @Billfitz here. I’m a year younger than you, and it seems like I’ve lost a mile or two per hour every year for the last 10 years with my SS.

Definitely go graphite, and from what you said your iron distance was, you’re right about where I am with flex… right on the line between regular and Senior. I’ll tell you what the PXG fitter told me. “You could play the regular, but you’d find yourself forcing them very soon. None of us are getting younger, and very few get faster.”
I listened, and instead of getting the MMT70 regular, I went Senior. I’ve had the opportunity to hit the shaft a few times since in regular, and I’m so glad I went the way I did.

The rest of my bag I have a very lightweight regular flex shafts in my driver and hybrid (at least until my TSi’s arrive), and Senior in my FW and irons. My wedges are DGS200 steel They were the only clubs going lighter and more flexible didn’t work for me.

At the end of the day, have fun with this. Go and demo as many different clubs and shafts as you can. Look at the numbers, and listen to the fitter. You’ll know very quickly the profiles you need.

Edited by john myrbch
  • Like 2

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

10 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Old Rifle standard are frequency matched and 5.5 is stiff.  Years back I played Rifle 6.5.  With age comes the battle of muscle degeneration, which I have fought for a number of years.  Now 70, the battle is even more pronounced.  Partly why I switched to composition shafts.  I played PX 6.0 for a long time, loved them, then PX 5.5 but thought switching to composite was wise. 

Think I switched about 3yrs ago.  Tried a number of lightweight graphite shafts.  Long story short, most of them are mid-bend which doesn't work for me.  I finally went with MMT 125s and glad I did.  Though they are heavier, distance and low dispersion benefits of MMT are great, plus the wear and tear on my body is lessened.  Lightweight MMT 105 and Steelfiber i95cw composite graphite are both amazing. 

I think you’re an outlier hitting those shafts at age 70.

Good on you for still being able to hit them, but let’s be real, I don’t think you’re helping him by recommending 125g shafts.

I know you don’t mean it this way, but what you’re advising would fit less than 5% of our age group, and is coming off like bragging more than helping. The shafts you’re able to hit aren’t going to work for him, and a player like you should know that.

• Like 4

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

1 hour ago, john myrbch said:

Good on you for still being able to hit them, but let’s be real, I don’t think you’re helping him by recommending 125g shafts.

I know you don’t mean it this way, but what you’re advising would fit less than 5% of our age group, and is coming off like bragging more than helping. The shafts you’re able to hit aren’t going to work for him, and a player like you should know that.

Easy there JM.

Pepper seldom makes a post where he's not telling us how good he is but he didn't recommend the 125s for the OP.

He said HE uses them.

In fact he ended with "Lightweight MMT 105 and Steelfiber i95cw composite graphite are both amazing"  <--- THAT sounds more like a recommendation to me.

And btw, the OP is (was ?) a 3. I'm betting he knows his way around better than most of us. And I'm not sure how you "know" those 125 shafts wouldn't work for the OP either.

I'm not sure we have enough to go on to determine that weight is even the biggest issue.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

4 hours ago, playit said:

Firstly, paragraphs are your our friend. It's very difficult to read through a run on paragraph. :classic_wink:

Isn't it unusual for your shoulder to hurt you so much so many years later ? And if you quit before because of it (and other things) what makes you think you'll be OK this time ? Simply changing equipment ? Maybe, I guess.

Project X (Rifle) stiffness runs a little differently than most other shafts. There are no "standards" with respect to shaft stiffness. You can think of the Rifle 5.5 as a "stiff regular", somewhere between other manufacturer's regular and stiff.

Not sure what the Rifles weigh but I expect they're in the 115-120 gram weight class. i.e. fairly heavy. But is weight really a problem ? Graphite surely is easier on the body but if it's not easier on your body, why change ?

Yes, clubfitters should carry an assortment of graphite iron shafts nowadays. If not, find another fitter.

But frankly, I think your first step should be a find a good doctor, maybe a sports orthopedist, and figure out why you're still having that shoulder pain.

There are 2 factors in play here. Can you play the same clubs for 18 holes without getting tired ? If so, the lighter weight shafts may not help and, in fact, may hurt your game.

Then there's the physical factor. Steel is harder on the body than graphite as graphite absorbs the harmful vibrations much better than steel.

I guess the only way to really tell would be to play a few rounds, or maybe just take a few sessions hitting balls, with each shaft type and try to determine whether steel is hurting you significantly more than graphite does.

If you feel more or less the same with each the "need" for graphite probably isn't there.

Good luck. 👍

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

You should have went graphite years ago. I went graphite twenty years ago(64 now) because of shoulder issues. If you go with a heavier graphite shaft you can stay the same length, but if a lighter shaft you will have to lengthen it to find the same hitting zone.  The lighter graphite shafts tend to have too low of a swing weight, swinging inside of the ball. Going from D3 to D0 does make a difference. Also adding length will soften the flex as well. Sometimes that is not a bad thing at all. The regular shaft is now closer to senior with a 1/2" extension. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

3 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Easy there JM.

Pepper seldom makes a post where he's not telling us how good he is but he didn't recommend the 125s for the OP.

He said HE uses them.

In fact he ended with "Lightweight MMT 105 and Steelfiber i95cw composite graphite are both amazing"  <--- THAT sounds more like a recommendation to me.

And btw, the OP is (was ?) a 3. I'm betting he knows his way around better than most of us. And I'm not sure how you "know" those 125 shafts wouldn't work for the OP either.

I'm not sure we have enough to go on to determine that weight is even the biggest issue.

Point taken.

• Thanks 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

18 hours ago, playit said:

A few things to unpack in your post...

First, current clubs.  Rifle 5.5 is essentially Stiff flex.  It's a softer stiff than DGS300, but it was still regarded as "stiff" in its day.  Distance isn't a great determinant for necessary flex, but based on your post, it sounds like you need to drop down a bit.

In looking at new shafts, with the aches and pains you've described, some form of vibration reduction seems a good choice.  Graphite is a good option.  Sensicore has been set aside, but True Temper has a replacement in the VSS they're using in the Elevate shafts.  And there are the ProSoft inserts as an option.  IMHO graphite is the best choice, but I say that not having hit the Elevate shafts.

Shaft weight is a big variable.  You may need a softer flex, but it doesn't necessarily mean you need a lighter shaft.  Flex and weight are sometimes tied together, but they shouldn't be in all cases.  The Rifle 5.5 was around 124-125g, dropping to some of the lighter weight graphite options may or may not be an issue for you.  Going from 120something grams to 80g is a big change.

This is where a good fitter comes in.  A proper fitting job will explore all of these variables.  What works for others may or may not work for you.  

Distance loss comes to us all.  Father Time is the undefeated champion, after all.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

19 hours ago, playit said:

Sub70, Ben Hogan, Tour Edge allow you to purhase a demo club for a short period of time, It might be worth it to get it right. Also, most golf retailers allow you to return used clubs after 1 week, another way to demo. Finally, I just went on vacation and had rented Maverick's in a Sr shaft and they were great. Golf ranges are ok, the only way to really tell the differences is on the course.

Edited by Tanner25

12 hours ago, platgof said:

You should have went graphite years ago. I went graphite twenty years ago(64 now) because of shoulder issues. If you go with a heavier graphite shaft you can stay the same length, but if a lighter shaft you will have to lengthen it to find the same hitting zone.  The lighter graphite shafts tend to have too low of a swing weight, swinging inside of the ball. Going from D3 to D0 does make a difference. Also adding length will soften the flex as well. Sometimes that is not a bad thing at all. The regular shaft is now closer to senior with a 1/2" extension. 

very interesting, I went with the sr shaft for xl halo's plus 1/2 inch and it feels very light and a little whippy. Which confirms this. I guess I can always cut them down if it doesn't work out. I am a little taller and prefer the extra length though.

Edited by Tanner25

A bit older then the OP and have played Recoil 110 for 5/6 years. 

This year switched to the 680 F4.

In the past have had a lack of consistency with lighter shafts, but seems age has changed that.

680's have been great, particularly when playing multiple days in a row.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

53 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

very interesting, I went with the sr shaft for xl halo's plus 1/2 inch and it feels very light and a little whippy.

The senior flex shaft on my Launcher HB driver felt light and whippy to the kid (30 years old, which to me is a kid) who tried it the other day to see if he liked my JumboMax grip. He proceeded to smack a high draw straight down the middle 20 yards longer than he'd ever hit his own driver. Double entendre aside stiff shafts are highly over rated.

• Like 3

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

NRJyzr's post is spot on. The Rifle 5.5 shaft is fairly heavy. There are lightweight steel options, but, graphite (to me) is a better option, as, it will help avoid aches and pain. I switched to graphite from light weight steel shafts to due hand and wrist issues. 

Most, if not all, golf shops have fitting carts, which, allow you to try different shafts in various club head.  Your local golf course, also, might be able to set up a club fitting appointment for you. I have seen my local Titleist and Taylormade rep's at the local driving range doing club fittings.

Good luck, and, enjoy the search.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, john myrbch said:

I was NOT recommending my current shafts, just sharing my experience making the change from steel to composite, which the OP is doing.  Reread my post, and maybe leave out your bias.  My actual intent of that post was to show support for changing from steel to lightweight composite shafts.  I even mentioned how good MMT 105 and Steelfiber i95 are. 

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

2 hours ago, Billfitz said:

The senior flex shaft on my Launcher HB driver felt light and whippy to the kid (30 years old, which to me is a kid) who tried it the other day to see if he liked my JumboMax grip. He proceeded to smack a high draw straight down the middle 20 yards longer than he'd ever hit his own driver. Double entendre aside stiff shafts are highly over rated.

So did the kid switch to that same driver ? I'm betting he didn't. :classic_sad:

Titleist Pro V1X

29 minutes ago, DrDon said:

XCaliber Rapid Taper 75g regular flex shafts have revolutionized my iron game.  

I get a nice high ball flight.   They are also easy on my hands and joints.   I have arthritis and Dupytren's.   

@DrDon, how did you come to know about that shaft? Just curious.

Never like to say lower your expectations, so altering them sounds better. I also just passed 60, and as a club fitter, I am fortunate enough to have access to a variety of shaft/head combos, and have switched to graphite in pretty much everything. Obviously stiff no longer works for me in steel, previously using a combo of Project X 5.0/5.5 flighted steel for a few years. So I ended up soft stepping and frequency matching graphite, I built what most would consider a firmer flex than regular, yet not a standard stiff in graphite. Had some older Accuflex Assassin 2 70 gram shafts in old stock, & paired them w/Maltby TS -1 heads, and am very pleased. Other than the obnoxious red color, it was a rather cheap experiment, which allowed me to try graphite shafts in irons for the first time. Would suggest visiting a qualified fitter, and or demoing a variety of lighter graphite head combos to get a new starting point. I do respect the fact you understand that the old steel shafts just don't do the job any longer, and that's half the battle. 

• Like 4

On 10/23/2021 at 11:06 AM, playit said:

Okay, maybe not what you want to hear, but here goes. Let's not even talk about clubs yet.

I turn 65 next spring. No shoulder surgery but bad rotator cuffs, knee surgery, constant aches and pain. Athletics, golf all my life. It takes a toll. We are old! But whether I golf or not, every day, planks, ab curls, arm/shoulder/chest stretches. Maybe only 20 minutes. If I don't, I feel it all day.

What is your physical fitness level? How's your weight? How flexible are you? We are past the age of expecting to play well with only a couple practice swings and a gin/tonic before we play.

What is your diet? Eating anything that leads to inflammation in your joints? If it's worth it to you, just stop.

FWIW I haven't hit a 5 iron 180 in 30 years. Currently a 4 handicap. My irons are 50 years old, so old school lofts, but even so. I hit my 5 iron only 160. But I can play, and compete, on courses up to 6500 ish yards. What more do you think you need?

I may have old iron heads, but although I can't handle dynamic s300 anymore, shafts around 115 gr are noticeably better. Not sure you need to go all the way to graphite unless you have arthritis issues or other health issues that you can't address with improved fitness and diet.

Sorry, but I refuse to accept "general aging" and infirmities without a fight. Maybe you are doing these things but you didn't mention them. And I see bunches of folks our age who have given up on fitness cause it's too much trouble.

So do what you can fitness wise, maybe work on it for the winter if you are up north, and then address the clubs issue. You'll feel, and play, a ton better!

Good luck!

PS And I don't mean to sound harsh or judgmental, but this is a speech I should have had with my dad at our age, but did not. So you get it now 🙂

• Like 1

Eight year layoff.  You should be due a bit of beginners luck. 

the 5.5 s are older and heavier shafts.  Maybe a change is warranted but, a change now while your swing is changing might not be in your best interest as it seems your physical issues are still at hand.  Get some lessons geared towards where you are now and then work with them towards gear that works better for you.  

welcome back to the game but try to fix your swing so it doesn’t hurt.  Till then stay put.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

You have roughly a gazillion choices in light weight graphite shafts.  Two that I have had luck with are MMT's in senior flex in PXG irons and Project X 5.0 senior shafts in Callaway Mavrik Max irons.  Both are easy to swing and very easy on my joints.  I also demo'd the new Callaway Apex DCB irons with the new Recoil Dart shafts in senior flex and they were very easy to launch.  Welcome back to the game and good luck!

• Like 1