2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Play It or Practice

Motoboss

Hell All, new to the forum and had a question I thought I would get opinions on;

You purchase a new putter, do you put it directly in the bag and start playing rounds with it

or

Do you take it out to the putting green and practice for several hours/days before putting it in play? 

I have played an Odyssey Tri+Hot #3 for the past several years and recently bought a Ping Arana mallet, adjustable putter. They both have the same toe hang (60*), are the same length with the Ping being a bit heavier and I do like the look of it.

I had about an hour of practice with the Ping and have adjusted to the roll and lag very well so I put it in play and feel it was a less than desirable outing, several 3 putts and poor short distance accuracy. It’s close but juuuuuust not there yet.

Stay with it or spend more practice time before making it my gamer?

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

Put it into play.  Maybe get to the course early enough before your next round to spend 15 minutes on the practice green getting a feel, but I'd see what I can do with it under the pressure of a real round rather than grind away for hours upon hours before I hit the course.  This especially would be my decision if you have another putter that you intend to use for rounds in between practicing with the new one.

• Like 1

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

I'd put it directly to play... 

(Unless I'm playing an important tournament/event, which I'm not doing these days...)

I get more feedback from real situations on the course than in the putting green. I found that I don't know how to "practice with purpose" in the putting green, so going straight to the golf course is the best way of knowing... But hey, that's me!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vbb said:

Put it into play.  Maybe get to the course early enough before your next round to spend 15 minutes on the practice green getting a feel, but I'd see what I can do with it under the pressure of a real round rather than grind away for hours upon hours before I hit the course.  This especially would be my decision if you have another putter that you intend to use for rounds in between practicing with the new one.

Yeah I was considering using my old faithful, the Odyssey but I want to make a “one or the other” decision. I don’t feel going back and forth is optimal.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, golfpramparo said:

I'd put it directly to play... 

(Unless I'm playing an important tournament/event, which I'm not doing these days...)

I get more feedback from real situations on the course than in the putting green. I found that I don't know how to "practice with purpose" in the putting green, so going straight to the golf course is the best way of knowing... But hey, that's me!

I agree with the practice with a purpose idea. I tend to end up kinda mindlessly hitting to the hole after a while which is no good.

I usually arrive early enough to chip and putt but may need more time on the “putt” portion.

I do like the idea of arriving early enough before a round to practice putting before playing to ingrain the “feel”, direction and speed.

Thanks

Edited by Motoboss

2 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

I agree with the practice with a purpose idea. I tend to end up kinda mindlessly hitting to the hole after a while which is no good.

I usually arrive early enough to chip and putt but may need more time on the “putt” portion.

I do like the idea of arriving early enough before a round to practice putting before playing to ingrain the “feel”, direction and speed.

Thanks

One day a putter coach (who teaches professionals and aspiring professionals in Argentina) told me a good way to practice putters is to 'imagine real situations' in the putting green.

For example:

Hole 1 - Par 4 - 3rd shot in the green after a bunker shot, downhill 3 feet for par.

Hole 2 - Par 3 - 1st shot in the green, 10 feet for birdie.

Hole 3 - Par 5 - 2nd shot in the fringe, 15 feet for eagle

Hole 4 - etc etc

In the end you're playing 18 holes and looking at your final score.

Of course he created this situations for his players who then executed the shots.

It's a good way to practice with purpose... I hope it helps!

• Like 3

I would arrive at the course earlier than normal and practice with it.  If I was comfortable with the new putter, would put into play.  If I didn’t feel right I would put old putter in bag and then practice a bit more.  I don’t think the results from the first round should be the key in making the decision, other factors could be in play.

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

3 hours ago, uitar9 said:

Putting practice...nothing over 9 feet.  (the pros make maybe 50%) A tee in the ground. 8 to ten strokes from NSE and W. Get a feel for speed and line that day. Then go play.

To add to that

once you get a good figure of that routine 

another is to putt uphill and downhill. 
usually I’ll pick a hole that is situated where I can do both. 
When it’s been a while and I’m off with my speed or have misses. I’ll play the ones farthest from the hole and move to the ones closer to the hole. 
For me this is my way of keeping a realistic practice element. Because if I was faced with the predicament of “I gave a poor stroke” now, I have to work on getting the hole finished in “two strokes” 

this usually keeps my skills together, and I even do this to my chipping game. If I left some out then I’ll putt those first then the closest ones

• Like 1

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

So I see the trend and it makes sense. Put it in the bag, show up a bit early and roll some quality putts, go play.

I just always have anxiety about playing new equipment without preparation but hey, it’s possibly just a few added strokes.

I can live with that.

Edited by Motoboss
  • Like 1

Hey - welcome to WRX! You certainly belong here. I don't know how many people played a round of golf in America today, but I'd bet 90% to 95% of them would have no clue what "toe hang" even means, or "arc to straight" vs. "arc to arc" hahahaha. This is the place for people that do know what it means.

As to your question - I think it depends. I've played an Anser-style for decades, and tend to keep putters for much longer than anything in my bag. But changing from a Newport 2 to a new edition of a Newport 2 only changes things in very subtle ways.

You, however, appear to be going from an Anser to a kind of mallet, so I imagine it may take a bit longer to get used to it. Whether you do that on a course or on a practice green probably depends largely on how long it takes you to make the adjustment.

There are basically two kinds of putter philosophies - with the extreme ends of the line being Tiger and Arnie. 

Tiger famously used the same Scotty for well over a decade - not just the same model, the same freaking putter for goodness sake. (Even when he signed the gigantic contract with Nike, it was with the understanding that he could keep playing his Scotty.)

Arnie is at the other end ... used something like a couple of thousand of putters during his career. In fact, he often switched putters in the middle of a single tournament. 

If you're on the Tiger  end of the spectrum, it would likely take a while to get used to a new putter. If you're an Arnie, you could probably pick up anything and be gaming it with all of a half hour practice on a putting green.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Thanks bobfoster for the welcome and the analogy is dead on!
I have used an Anser style putter (actually a mid 70s Anser) for years and the Tri-Hot for the past 8 or so and dabbled with a mallet style occasionally, SeeMore, Zebra and now the Arana. I like the extra weight and higher moi but have never stayed with one long enough to become comfortable and confident, always going back to the Tri-Hot or Anser when I happen to three putt more than twice a round. I tend to stick with what works, my Ping irons are Eye2 1977 models and the only full set I have ever owned and currently waiting on a new set of G425 which will be the last set I own, so the new putter change is a big deal for me.

I think I’ll lean more towards the Tiger route with a grip on Arni………..

A new putter is no different from new irons or wedges, put them in play immediately.  However, there's a qualifier for me; I'd never put any new equipment in the bag if I am about to play in a tournament or a game where $$$ is at stake. 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Well playing today I had an unprecedented round, 6 three putts! I don’t mean just run of the mill three putts but lags short by 15 feet, run past the hole 8 feet and several missed 3 and 4 foot par putts and turned birdie attempts into bogey. I was ready to toss the new putter in the lake on 17 but managed a 12 foot birdie on 18 so brought it home.

I came home and put the old Tri-Hot back in the bag but now have been reconsidering. I’m just lost………….. I’m trashing rounds like a bad habit, which I’m becoming afraid of. Putting has always been one of my strong suits but with the new putter it’s become worse than my chipping!

11 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

Well playing today I had an unprecedented round, 6 three putts! I don’t mean just run of the mill three putts but lags short by 15 feet, run past the hole 8 feet and several missed 3 and 4 foot par putts and turned birdie attempts into bogey. I was ready to toss the new putter in the lake on 17 but managed a 12 foot birdie on 18 so brought it home.

I came home and put the old Tri-Hot back in the bag but now have been reconsidering. I’m just lost………….. I’m trashing rounds like a bad habit, which I’m becoming afraid of. Putting has always been one of my strong suits but with the new putter it’s become worse than my chipping!

I tried going from an Anser to a mallet for a little while. Same thing happened. Got better after a lot of practice, but I never got that puppy completely under control. After awhile I was just like, why am I putting so much flipping effort into trying to get as good with a mallet as I already was with an Anser? I do try all sorts of equipment, just to see if it will improve my scores, but busting my butt just to break even doesn't make much sense. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

36 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

I tried going from an Anser to a mallet for a little while. Same thing happened. Got better after a lot of practice, but I never got that puppy completely under control. After awhile I was just like, why am I putting so much flipping effort into trying to get as good with a mallet as I already was with an Anser? I do try all sorts of equipment, just to see if it will improve my scores, but busting my butt just to break even doesn't make much sense. 

I totally agree! I used my old Anser when the Tri-Hot goes cold and a few others in and out of the bag every now and then. But today, wheew!!!
I thought why am I torturing myself?! 

We only, possibly, have a few more rounds left the year before it gets too cold so I think I’m shelving the new Arana and sticking with what works.

Practice over the winter and reassess this Spring.

Or live in misery the rest of the year 😉

Why were you buying a new putter in the first place??

In most instances it's because the previous one was not providing you with the desired or expected results. So if you've done due diligence in selecting the replacement, take it to the practice green for a half hour or so for a real life introduction and then put it in the bag and go play.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Play it. My t22 has been in since purchase bar a few rounds where I tried the spider x. It wasn’t out long. You can practice all you want but nothing beats trying it when the pressures on.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Hzrdus smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Titleist Pro V1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

15 hours ago, jomatty said:

Put it in play.  And if it misbehaves, buy another and put it into play.  Rinse and repeat ad nauseam.  Eventually there will be putters all over your house and you can grab one of them occasionally to keep from having to buy another new one.

Agree with this. I think you can get comfortable with anything on a practice green, but it’s only on the course that you’ll truly know if it’s right. 

I’ll normally know after one round whether I like a putter or not (often it’s after a few holes) - if it’s not working, sell it and start again!

• Like 1

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

In general a putter goes straight in the bag with a similar pre round routine. But I generally use a 8802 style blade or an Anser style so little difference in general appearance.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

On 10/28/2021 at 11:30 AM, nitram said:

Why were you buying a new putter in the first place??

In most instances it's because the previous one was not providing you with the desired or expected results. So if you've done due diligence in selecting the replacement, take it to the practice green for a half hour or so for a real life introduction and then put it in the bag and go play.

My thought exactly. New equipment is usually an attempt to correct an issue (at least a perceived issue) with current equipment.

21 hours ago, k__e_n said:

My thought exactly. New equipment is usually an attempt to correct an issue (at least a perceived issue) with current equipment.

I bought the new putter trying to improve. I have played the same irons for 30 years and just recently was fitted for new G425”s. Should I have not?

I’m a decent enough putter but wanted to try a mallet style, plain and simple. Are you telling me you’re never bought any new golf equipment?

Buying new golf equipment needs no justification, just check the billions of dollar impact in the industry.

Edited by Motoboss

On 10/30/2021 at 9:40 AM, Motoboss said:

I bought the new putter trying to improve. I have played the same irons for 30 years and just recently was fitted for new G425”s. Should I have not?

I’m a decent enough putter but wanted to try a mallet style, plain and simple. Are you telling me you’re never bought any new golf equipment?

Buying new golf equipment needs no justification, just check the billions of dollar impact in the industry.

My intent was to say that if I buy something it goes in the bag immediately. I don't have some weird golf club purgatory for new equipment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve determined it’s “more practice/store it/sell it) with the new putter!

It’s not so much the mallet design thats killing me, it’s the insert. The Ping Sigma Series putters have a “dual insert” supposedly giving a soft feel on short puts and a firmer backing insert for longer putts. My Arana doesn’t know the difference!

Some 8 foot putts roll 5 feet and some 15. I normally have a very good feel and distance control when putting with my Tri-Hot #3 and I believe it’s due to consistent firmness of the insert.

After 3 putting on 8 greens the last round with the Arana it was the final straw. I played a current round yesterday and had 1 three putt, mainly due to a poor strike on an uphill green with the Odyssey, otherwise it was all two putts or better.

Test Concluded………….