Driver Shaft

Fairway28

Upgrading to TS1 Driver for my 10 1/2 yr old from USK TS.  My question is am I better off ordering Flynn custom shaft where I can get a 40'ish inch, or cut down a Speeder or something similar.  Thats a lot of shaft to cut where some of these other companies don't come less than 44",46".   I'm aware a lot of "tinkering" is required for getting the weight back in sync when a shaft is trimmed that much.

Thx!

7 hours ago, mrshinsa said:

Either the Air Speeder or Fubuki MV should work.  

US Kids Driver length is on the conservative side, so add +1" to the stated length. 

Ladies shaft starts at 44.5", so trim around 3, and you should end with 41~42" depending his height.

Rule of thumb on length is from the ground to their sternum (that soft spot right under the middle of their rib cage).  

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, eddie33081 said:

Thanks for the reply. What clubhead is everyone gravitating towards with this type of shaft? I would probably look for one year ago to save money at least. I see the TS1 is really light is that a good option? Otherwise what are people using for their children 9-11 years old.

Thanks!

You'll see just about every major clubhead manufacturer in junior bags even at that age. My kid has had Cobra F9 and SZ.  We currently use a Cobra SZ 10.5* head (set to 12*) with an Aerotech MX48 shaft in senior flex. Lamkin junior grip to adapter tip is 39" long and club plays at just over 40" long with head installed. I see many Taylormade SIM/SIM2 drivers as well. 

• Thanks 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

11 hours ago, wildcatden said:

You'll see just about every major clubhead manufacturer in junior bags even at that age. My kid has had Cobra F9 and SZ.  We currently use a Cobra SZ 10.5* head (set to 12*) with an Aerotech MX48 shaft in senior flex. Lamkin junior grip to adapter tip is 39" long and club plays at just over 40" long with head installed. I see many Taylormade SIM/SIM2 drivers as well. 

I've seen a lot more SIM2 heads in bags of kids 7 & up than I ever thought I would.  The F9 jr driver I still see as well (my kids have them as well, though my daughter may move on to 10.5 RAD XB).  

8 yo son has a 39" total combo with the R3 35 Air Speeder shaft, 10 yo daughter getting an LA Golf Reign Silver 40 L shaft cut down to 41" total today for her setup.

I think the best head for that 9-11 group of juniors may be the Titleist TSi1, if the SIM2 isn't.

21 minutes ago, MB19 said:

I've seen a lot more SIM2 heads in bags of kids 7 & up than I ever thought I would.  The F9 jr driver I still see as well (my kids have them as well, though my daughter may move on to 10.5 RAD XB).  

8 yo son has a 39" total combo with the R3 35 Air Speeder shaft, 10 yo daughter getting an LA Golf Reign Silver 40 L shaft cut down to 41" total today for her setup.

I think the best head for that 9-11 group of juniors may be the Titleist TSi1, if the SIM2 isn't.

One question about SIM2 (or maybe SIM too). Do folks take out weights or put in lighter weights to make the head weight a bit lighter?

1 hour ago, MB19 said:

It is simple.  TSi1 driver.  No way I would go Sim2 in that age group.  And no way I would buy a Cobra Driver unless they made mass improvements.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

1 hour ago, MB19 said:

Its simple Ts1/Tsi1 is by far the best junior driver out there. If its good enough for Nelly its good enough for most juniors. I know a few USKG WC who have used that head. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

It is simple.  TSi1 driver.  No way I would go Sim2 in that age group.  And no way I would buy a Cobra Driver unless they made mass improvements.

Good to know about TS1/TSi1!

What's the reason behind no SIM2/SIM? Too heavy?

I saw Cobra drivers are also popular among juniors age 8-10. Just curious about your thought. 

16 minutes ago, Medson said:

Good to know about TS1/TSi1!

What's the reason behind no SIM2/SIM? Too heavy?

I saw Cobra drivers are also popular among juniors age 8-10. Just curious about your thought. 

That junior cobra driver is actually heavier than some of the adult heads.

Darter is the expert on these.  My opinion is an 8-10 year old in a Sim head is just trying to keep up with the Jones'.  There is no rhyme or reason to it.  It is a want, not a need.

• Thanks 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

That junior cobra driver is actually heavier than some of the adult heads.

Darter is the expert on these.  My opinion is an 8-10 year old in a Sim head is just trying to keep up with the Jones'.  There is no rhyme or reason to it.  It is a want, not a need.

I agree the race to get a a perfect driver for a 8-10 year old is a waste of time.  At that age trying to gain yardage is not worth the effort.  I can see not wanting to use a crappy junior driver but all you need to do is take out your old driver and put in shaft that works for them and cut it down to size. Really any recent drive and ladies flex will be ok.

The race to have perfect fitting clubs for a 8 year old is crazy.  No matter what you do those clubs will not fit in a few months.  At that age just make sure they have something that get the club in the air and is the correct length.  Make sure they have fun and just focus on them getting better.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

Cobra Jr drivers are great for 8-10 year olds. They’re actually lighter than their adult counter part. We have both the Jr SZ and adult SZ. They might look exactly the same, but the Jr is significantly lighter and offers higher loft (11-14*). Jr SZ with weighs removed is roughly 186g. 

This isn't true. I've called Cobra on this in the past. Its the SAME HEAD as the men's. The Women's head is the same. All 3 are the SAME. Only difference is the gram weight they use. It used to be a 10 gram weight for both junior and women and a 14 for men. The junior/Women are higher lofted. But even with a lighter head weight the other is much heavier than most junior drivers. I haven't touched a Cobra in a while so this could have changed but when I tested them they were a lot heavier. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

Cobra Jr drivers are great for 8-10 year olds. They’re actually lighter than their adult counter part. We have both the Jr SZ and adult SZ. They might look exactly the same, but the Jr is significantly lighter and offers higher loft (11-14*). Jr SZ with weighs removed is roughly 186g. 

Just now, darter79 said:

This isn't true. I've called Cobra on this in the past. Its the SAME HEAD as the men's. The Women's head is the same. All 3 are the SAME. Only difference is the gram weight they use. It used to be a 10 gram weight for both junior and women and a 14 for men. The junior/Women are higher lofted. But even with a lighter head weight the other is much heavier than most junior drivers. I haven't touched a Cobra in a while so this could have changed but when I tested them they were a lot heavier. 

I just weighed my daughter's F9 Jr driver, with the stock 41" shaft and it weighed in at 306g all-in.  The head was 194g.

Then I weighed her provisional setup (haven't decided if we are gaming it, or if I'm putting the original shaft back on and re-selling/trading it in), an XB 10.5* (men's) with an LA Golf Reign Silver 40L shaft--total setup is also 41".  The setup weighed 286g, The head was 196. 

Both setups were weighed with the stock weights installed.

3 minutes ago, MB19 said:

I just weighed my daughter's F9 Jr driver, with the stock 41" shaft and it weighed in at 306g all-in.  The head was 194g.

Then I weighed her provisional setup (haven't decided if we are gaming it, or if I'm putting the original shaft back on and re-selling/trading it in), an XB 10.5* (men's) with an LA Golf Reign Silver 40L shaft--total setup is also 41".  The setup weighed 286g, The head was 196. 

I don't get into total weight. I look at the head weight.  194-196 is the same weight as the TSI3 from Titleist. Ping ranges in the higher 190/low 200. 195 is pretty beefy for a young junior driver head. The Ts1/Tsi1 one is 185 range. Trust me on this one. Ditch the Cobra.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MB19 said:

I know your talking about a specific  junior driver but a lot of drivers sold out there for everyone has weights that can adjusted. You just buy the kit and you can play around with it.  The cobra speedzone from last year is a great driver for kids.

Honestly the best driver for a junior is going game improvement driver that has a huge sweet spot that no ones buys.  So many kids have a maverick or sim driver that they smash extra far on 1-2 holes and have have crapy drives for 8-9 holes from mishits. The dads then only talk about the 1-2 holes and how good of a driver they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

The dads then only talk about the 1-2 holes and how good of a driver they are.

If I've learned anything during all this junior golf world of drama it's to stop worrying about what other parents say or do.  Just do you.

Unless there's physical or emotional harm coming to a kid just keep your mouth out of their business.

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Our Cobra drivers have been fine.  Recently have had the F9 (adult 10.5*) and the SZ (adult 10.5*).   Driver heads all seem to be between 185-205g depending on make/model.  The F9 and SZ were in the 194-196 range if I recall. Note: Had a weight kit for the F9 and would play it with 4g/2g weights that dropped 10g from the stock 14g weight.  Anyway, we are talking about 8-10 year olds here.  Just go play golf.

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

2 hours ago, darter79 said:

I don't get into total weight. I look at the head weight.  194-196 is the same weight as the TSI3 from Titleist. Ping ranges in the higher 190/low 200. 195 is pretty beefy for a young junior driver head. The Ts1/Tsi1 one is 185 range. Trust me on this one. Ditch the Cobra.

TS1/TSi1 comes with interchangeable head weights. From the Internet, it seems the stock weight is 9g. What weight was the above 185g head using? 

I can’t find any head weight info on these drivers. So wanna see what/if any aftermarket weights I should get if I go down TS1/TSi1 path. 

Went TSI1 route with my guy (11-12yr) recently with a Diamana M+ 40 gram L. FWIW, I just checked and the headweight on his 12.0 his is 176, with no weight installed (stock is 9g). Will go up 3-21 grams from there. Bought a 3g and 19g to evaluate when we have more time. Not cheap, but the speed/performance is  there and it looks the part. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, darter79 said:

Ok you got me scratching my head. I said I HAVE both men’s and Jr’s. It sure beats talking to some guy over the phone at Cobra… A 3-4% weight difference is hardly the “same”.

44A29C1B-B337-4AB8-9A37-2658F4D42A77.jpeg.144487f6077221f1eeab2780a87c1130.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, leezer99 said:

If I've learned anything during all this junior golf world of drama it's to stop worrying about what other parents say or do.  Just do you.

Unless there's physical or emotional harm coming to a kid just keep your mouth out of their business.

I don't care what they say I was just saying they always tell you their kid is driving X which happens to be the best drive and they ignore the fact that most of the drives are 50 yards less.

But then again maybe your one the dads who is out there talking about that great drive and never learns.

3 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

And here is another Cobra that I have. The Jr F8 is not heavy at all. 
A4C998EB-95E7-412A-96E4-60CDD1D81447.jpeg.3e70d626377d0ab90f0d327e289ff488.jpeg

Take the weight out is BADDDD thing to do. Completely mess up the CG locations, MOI , Spin ect. That's another can of worms there. Again I'm going off what they told me, perhaps cobra changed it. Either way put that weight back in. If you need to do that you are playing the wrong driver. 

• Like 2