Driver Shaft

Fairway28

9 hours ago, Medson said:

TS1/TSi1 comes with interchangeable head weights. From the Internet, it seems the stock weight is 9g. What weight was the above 185g head using? 

I can’t find any head weight info on these drivers. So wanna see what/if any aftermarket weights I should get if I go down TS1/TSi1 path. 

That is with the weight its sub 180 with out it - I do not recommend doing that.. But yes 9g is stock you can get cheap weights on amazon ebay pretty easily. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

Cobra Jr drivers are great for 8-10 year olds. They’re actually lighter than their adult counter part. We have both the Jr SZ and adult SZ. They might look exactly the same, but the Jr is significantly lighter and offers higher loft (11-14*). Jr SZ with weighs removed is roughly 186g. 

Removing the weights changes the performance of the head.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

59 minutes ago, darter79 said:

Take the weight out is BADDDD thing to do. Completely mess up the CG locations, MOI , Spin ect. That's another can of worms there. Again I'm going off what they told me, perhaps cobra changed it. Either way put that weight back in. If you need to do that you are playing the wrong driver. 

This is correct you have be very careful in changing the stock weights on any driver.  I never played with the weights of a driver until a fitter told me in a fitting that issue that were causing some problems were the stock weights in a driver.  Changing those weights made a big difference. 

It takes a launch monitor and lots of playing around to get the correct weight.  You can lose 20-30 yards or you can gain 20-30 yards easily by weight change.  So messing with weights can cause a lot issues.

Having said all that this for my older daughter who has a swing speed and repeatable swing that it matters. I would never do this for a younger kid and I don't for my 10 year old.  I know we can get more out her driver but her swing is not repeatable enough yet for any of that to matter that much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 8:35 PM, darter79 said:

I don't get into total weight. I look at the head weight.  194-196 is the same weight as the TSI3 from Titleist. Ping ranges in the higher 190/low 200. 195 is pretty beefy for a young junior driver head. The Ts1/Tsi1 one is 185 range. Trust me on this one. Ditch the Cobra.

Sold the Cobra F9 Jr and XB, bought a TS1 10.5* in nice condition for under $200 shipped with Air Speeder R2 shaft, head cover and OEM wrench.  I cut it down to 41", and had an undersized Dry-Tac slapped on it.  My daughter flushed her first drive at the range, turned around and her face lit up with a huge smile.  That's why we play, am I right?  Her fade disappeared (for now), and we found most of the distance she had lost since spring over the next few swings.  Small sample size, but promising.

But seriously, I was impressed enough that I put my son's F9 up for sale the next day and ordered him a TS1 head in 12.5* flavor.  Our switch to the dark side is almost complete.  Leaning towards putting it on the Air Speeder R3 35 shaft on it, as we have one here.  That's going to be a really light setup.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, MB19 said:

Yes, it can be adjusted up or down.

be very careful with the loft adjustment most drivers basically open and closes the face. For a kid learning to hit the center of the club it can very bad.

also some the aftermarker adapters are junk out there make sure you get a decent tip from someone you can trust.  I learned the hard way about this.

I think there are some that adjust actual loft correctly but don’t know of one off hand.

22 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

be very careful with the loft adjustment most drivers basically open and closes the face. For a kid learning to hit the center of the club it can very bad.

also some the aftermarker adapters are junk out there make sure you get a decent tip from someone you can trust.  I learned the hard way about this.

I think there are some that adjust actual loft correctly but don’t know of one off hand.

My daughter is keeping the standard 10.5 loft, and keeping the same air speeder shaft/sleeve it came with.  My son will also stick with the 12.5 on his TS1,, and we're putting the original sleeve it came with when I bought it earlier this year back on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 12:16 AM, Medson said:

Can TS1/TSi1 adjust loft up? For example, can their 12.5 head be adjust up? Not sure my daughter’s low 60s SS can launch 12.5 degree driver head. 

My daughter swings it at about 67mph at age nine and has no problem getting the TSi1 in the air. She uses the alidla ascent 35 shaft. 

• Like 1

My daughter has played Cobra for a while. I found the F7 to be way more stable than F9 and SZ and stuck with the F7 until last year, better results.  LY, She played a Rad Speed draw biased version and hit it really well so I would skip to the Rad Speed as an upgrade from the other 2.  She's just over 80mph currently SS.  But overall at 67mph SS, I wouldn't grind so much worrying about OEM or hurry out of U.S. Kids.  Patience.  At lower SS, you aren't losing anything with U.S. Kids drivers and especially irons.

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

On 10/24/2021 at 7:15 PM, Fairway28 said:

Upgrading to TS1 Driver for my 10 1/2 yr old from USK TS.  My question is am I better off ordering Flynn custom shaft where I can get a 40'ish inch, or cut down a Speeder or something similar.  Thats a lot of shaft to cut where some of these other companies don't come less than 44",46".   I'm aware a lot of "tinkering" is required for getting the weight back in sync when a shaft is trimmed that much.

Thx!

For my daughter's progression, I started with a discontinued flynn shaft in her M2, then went to cut down ladies ACCRA Fx140  shaft, and now cut down Accra FX140 senior shaft. Maybe Fx140 Reg this season...in the Cobra.  I bought them used and further butt trimmed them. Good success with the Accras.

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

On 11/23/2021 at 11:18 AM, wildcatden said:

Any juniors playing the KBS TD shaft in drivers or fairways? 

https://kbsgolfshafts.com/shop/kbs-td-driver-wood-shaft/

We have the 60S for his driver.   He likes it a lot.  Preferred it over the Ventus blue and a counterbalance shaft.  We just bough the KB shaft for his hybrid.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 11:47 PM, Medson said:

One question about SIM2 (or maybe SIM too). Do folks take out weights or put in lighter weights to make the head weight a bit lighter?

My 11 year old have the SIM MAX, he uses the driver head as is with the 16oz weight that it came with.

My 9 year old, was 8 when he got the SIM2 MAX, it came with a 24oz weight piece, he couldn't hit it, we found a 6oz online, replaced the 24oz and its been working awesome. The head weight matters for sure, my 9 year old is small for his age, my 11 year old is strong for his age.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MRx747 said:

My 11 year old have the SIM MAX, he uses the driver head as is with the 16oz weight that it came with.

My 9 year old, was 8 when he got the SIM2 MAX, it came with a 24oz weight piece, he couldn't hit it, we found a 6oz online, replaced the 24oz and its been working awesome. The head weight matters for sure, my 9 year old is small for his age, my 11 year old is strong for his age.

What shaft did you set that up with for the 8yr old? Just ordered a sim 2 max head for my 8yr old, trying to decide what shaft to go with. 

On 1/17/2022 at 7:44 AM, Icamp10579 said:

What shaft did you set that up with for the 8yr old? Just ordered a sim 2 max head for my 8yr old, trying to decide what shaft to go with. 

Both are using Flynn shafts. My 9 year old have it on higher loft, big differences with carry distances, but all kids are different, after you get the driver, have him hit 10-15 balls at different lofts to find his sweet zone! And make sure you check the weight piece, I have the 6,8,9,11 as well, and 6oz is what we have him on.

would be cool if someone is willing to share a better option even if it’s cost more….. I can’t find anything with the short length that is needed for my kids.

6 minutes ago, Movingday said:

Personal opinion is to just use US Kids or Ping Prodi-g at that age. Don’t think you see any real gains from going OEM. Looks cool in the bag, but that’s about it. That’s my experience at least. 

Ping prodi G I agree is a nice club, my son is using that now, just wants to try something new and if it doesnt show better results on launch monitor and course I will just use it myself.  The US kids I don't agree with, we have used the Tour Series driver and woods and found them to be very subpar compared to the Ping and other OEM(he's used a titleist TS1 as well)..  Numbers are always significantly worse using a trackman as well as demo days at us kids regionals

2 hours ago, Movingday said:

Personal opinion is to just use US Kids or Ping Prodi-g at that age. Don’t think you see any real gains from going OEM. Looks cool in the bag, but that’s about it. That’s my experience at least. 

I have to disagree. Once kids have a fairly repeatable swing and are strong enough for the OEM heads its a HUGE game changer. We went from a USK driver to a ladies Cobra (6yo) and then to a Callaway XR a few years ago (7yo) and the distance jump was noticeable on the first swing. 

We just switched to a sim max2 with 12.5 loft and my now 9yo daughters carry jumped almost 15 yards. The added loft and draw spin she puts on it with the better fitting head makes a world of difference. If they are competing, then you know how important that extra distance is against bigger and older kids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bizzle80 said:

I have to disagree. Once kids have a fairly repeatable swing and are strong enough for the OEM heads its a HUGE game changer. We went from a USK driver to a ladies Cobra (6yo) and then to a Callaway XR a few years ago (7yo) and the distance jump was noticeable on the first swing. 

We just switched to a sim max2 with 12.5 loft and my now 9yo daughters carry jumped almost 15 yards. The added loft and draw spin she puts on it with the better fitting head makes a world of difference. If they are competing, then you know how important that extra distance is against bigger and older kids.

I agree completely! What shaft are you using on that sim max2?  Are you using the standard 24g weight or did you switch it out for a less heavy weight? My son's Sim max2 will be in this week, going to play around with the weights a little see what works best. Still deciding on shaft. I have an air speeder R3 and a Flynn Alto on hand, but not sure what else others are using? 

2 hours ago, Icamp10579 said:

I agree completely! What shaft are you using on that sim max2?  Are you using the standard 24g weight or did you switch it out for a less heavy weight? My son's Sim max2 will be in this week, going to play around with the weights a little see what works best. Still deciding on shaft. I have an air speeder R3 and a Flynn Alto on hand, but not sure what else others are using? 

If you wanna fine tune the back weight without breaking the bank, then I suggest you get some tungsten putty. Buy a 10g and 16g back weight. Use the weight as is or fill the back cavity with tungsten putty. You should be able to squeeze a maximum of 4g into the back. Your 10g weight will now be adjustable between 10-14g.

8A15E22F-6981-4E54-89B8-E55EE905E1EC.jpeg

My son and I are rebuilding his set for the 22 season because the dang kid has grown 5 inches in the last 8 months. This year he is using a UST Pro Gold 65 Regular at 42 inches in his Callaway Mavrik 9* turned up to 11. So after cutting down shaft should be in the 55-57 gram area. My son will be 12 at the end of February. 

Edited by Shanks2424

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

• 1 month later...

8 yo girl with a SS of low 60s. Got her a TS1 12.5 degree with a Flynn shaft. Replaced her USK TS3 15 degree. 

Driver carry went from 110 yd to 115 yd. (I was secretly hoping she'd instantly gain 20 yd carry, but oh well ... Maybe I bought a fake. The problem can't possibly be her, right?) She's still one of the shortest hitters in the group, but at least she looks good with the new driver. 

Jokes aside. Transition from USK to TS1 is seamless. Since the weight is identical, she pretty much just grip it and whip it. Most of kids who moved to heavier OEM heads, there was a transitional period. 

Thanks @heavy_hitter & @darter79 for the recommendation. Now, back to practicing long/mid irons. 

• Like 1