Butterfield Bermuda Championship 2021 (***NO COVID DISCUSSIONS***)

MattyO1984

On 10/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, smashdn said:

Might get more of a turnout if it was later into fall/winter?  When guys might like a chance to get to warmer weather? 

Read a golf.com article about why the field is what it is and dwindling.  Difficulty of actually getting yourself into Bermuda and then through their Covid protocols seems to be the kicker.  Plus because it is now considered full-field event they cannot dip lower than certain levels for the alternate list.

For the guys who had planned to attend all along and have the check boxes checked, this seems like a real opportunity to get fedex points and cash a nice check.  

7 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

ha even golf.com taking digs at Smylie  

Jason Gore of USGA fame. Smylie Kaufman of Spring Break fame.

• Like 2

TS3 Smoke 60g (S Flex)
TSi 2 16.5 Smoke 70g

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

17 hours ago, c7015 said:

ha even golf.com taking digs at Smylie  

To be fair, Smylie excelled particularly in the 2016 edition 😂

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 8.5*
Titleist 915Fd 15*
Titleist U510 1 Iron
Titleist T100 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

If the wind is up I like Reed's chances this week.  Not an elite ballstriker but a windy event will even out the ballstriking playing field.  And his short game is pretty good when he's on.  Also an above average putter if he's on.

TEE EXS 220 10.5*

TEE EXS 220 15*
TEE EXS Pro 19*/22*
W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P
W/S PMP RAW 52/56/60
White Hot OG 7

• GwrxMod changed the title to Butterfield Bermuda Championship 2021 (***NO COVID DISCUSSIONS***)
On 10/25/2021 at 10:16 AM, Titleist99 said:

Yes, the PGATOUR still play courses under 7000 yards. If you listen to some, golf courses of this length are totally obsolete, which is complete nonsense.....IMO

Wrx’er only requires a  driving iron , wedge and high lofted putter

• Haha 1

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

9 hours ago, the bishop said:

If the wind is up I like Reed's chances this week.  Not an elite ballstriker but a windy event will even out the ballstriking playing field.  And his short game is pretty good when he's on.  Also an above average putter if he's on.

Like him or not he is amazing. Chips in for birdie today and then holes out on his second shot, with penalty, on a par five for eagle. He is fun to watch.

4 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I just checked the scoring. Brian Morris is +34 through 13 holes in the second round. Carded an 89 in the first round? WTH? Has he been spending too much time drinking Natty Light with Smylie Kaufman?

Read his story linked on the first page and celebrate his moment, regardless of the score. I hope he is able to enjoy every second.

Edited by 1t2golf
language
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I just checked the scoring. Brian Morris is +34 through 13 holes in the second round. Carded an 89 in the first round? WTH? Has he been spending too much time drinking Natty Light with Smylie Kaufman?

You just might want to look into this guy's story and rethink your post!!!

Edited by 1t2golf
language
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Not currently watching. How was his lie on that second shot. Just asking. 😉 

There is not a lot of high rough on the course that I saw watching yesterday. The ball was a little above his feet and he was able to get plenty of cub on it. The shot was right on the stick, two small bounces and in. Without penalty it was an albatross.

1 hour ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/this-club-pro-in-the-field-at-the-bermuda-championship-is-the-pl/amp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

Obviously I did not see the article about this guy. I don't normally expect amateurs with stage 4 cancer to be playing in PGA Tour events. And thanks to Smylie Kaufman I would not put it past a "professional" golfer to post scores like that.

Now I'm off to drink some Natty Light and reflect on what a horrible person I am...

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 4:58 PM, Mustard_Tiger said:

And thanks to Smylie Kaufman I would not put it past a "professional" golfer to post scores like that.

@Mustard_Tiger this post is not solely directed at you. Do not take it as such.

While it's a continuing WRX pastime to always poke fun at how bad Smylie has played on the PGA Tour (after his lone PGA Tour and KFT Tour victories) he has never come close to posting +30 or worse for two rounds on any professional tour. He was never meant to be as successful as his "spring break" friends have been on the PGA Tour. He's admitted as much. He's accomplished much more in golf than literally every person that's ever posted here. Really wonder how many people here that roast him continually find themselves in the same spot in their lives. A good person but not as successful as your best friends. Guessing more than some will honestly care to admit. 

And a huge congrats to Brian Morris for getting his exemption into this event and finishing the first two rounds. God bless him. He has more stones than anybody here or elsewhere that has felt the need to criticize him. Sometimes people should take a moment or two and find out a persons back story is instead of just being critical right of the bat. Golf or otherwise. 

Edited by grm24
  • Like 4

On 10/28/2021 at 7:31 PM, iBanesto said:

So the weather for the final day is supposed to be very rough. In a field of very even players, does this just straight up favor whoever is in the lead, or is it AM vs PM tee times whoever gets the best conditions?

It looks like the weather in this tournament can add or subtract 5 strokes to anyone in the field.

22 hours ago, grm24 said:

@Mustard_Tiger this post is not solely directed at you. Do not take it as such.

While it's a continuing WRX pastime to always poke fun at how bad Smylie has played on the PGA Tour (after his lone PGA Tour and KFT Tour victories) he has never come close to posting +30 or worse for two rounds on any professional tour. He was never meant to be as successful as his "spring break" friends have been on the PGA Tour. He's admitted as much. He's accomplished much more in golf than literally every person that's ever posted here. Really wonder how many people here that roast him continually find themselves in the same spot in their lives. A good person but not as successful as your best friends. Guessing more than some will honestly care to admit. Myself included.

And a huge congrats to Brian Morris for getting his exemption into this event and finishing the first two rounds. God bless him. He has more stones than anybody here or elsewhere that has felt the need to criticize him. Sometimes people should take a moment or two and find out a persons back story is instead of just being critical right of the bat. Golf or otherwise. 

Thanks for pointing that out. After reading your post I double checked Smylie Kaufman's stats. And while he has shot at least one round of 80 or higher in every tournament he's played in 2021, he has not posted an 80 or higher multiple times in the same tournament this year. Clearly Smylie's performance does not deserve the mockery it is getting--and for that I apologize.

And now I'm off to drink some Natty Light and further reflect on how I can do better in the future.

14 hours ago, Justsomeguy said:

So the weather for the final day is supposed to be very rough. In a field of very even players, does this just straight up favor whoever is in the lead, or is it AM vs PM tee times whoever gets the best conditions?

Tee times for the final round have been moved up. Going off both sides in threesomes. Final group scheduled to tee off at 8:57am EST. Thought I heard on the telecast that GC will pick up coverage at 11 am EST.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grm24 said:

Tee times for the final round have been moved up. Going off both sides in threesomes. Final group scheduled to tee off at 8:57am EST. Thought I heard on the telecast that GC will pick up coverage at 11 am EST.

Coverage wound up starting early. Couldn't get my revised bets down in time. Was going to bet Lee and Herbert both to win straight and rely on the weather to be the equalizer.

Hard to watch Danny Lee rush his process and make double there. 

It felt like I was watching myself.

905S 9.5 Graffaloy Blue S
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

Ping G25 3 hybrid S300
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW S300
Ping Glide Stealth 52*/ Ping Tour S 56*/Ping Glide 3.0 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35”
Pro V1