2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Precis1on - Winter Practice Accountability and yada yada thread (SwingCatalyst / GCQuad)

Precis1on

Redid my sunroom so that I could practice this winter. Normally I take the winters off, but felt like I was in the right mindset to press on. Just wanted to share my practice with ya'll, hopefully some swing change progress, and stay accountable. 

Areas I know I need to improve + things to do:

- Improve Club and Hand Path in transition (shallow earlier)

- Left hip leading the downswing

- Right leg re-bending earlier in downswing/transition

- Get a online lesson from Monte so I understand how to interpret the data from the Quad and what to focus on there

- Dial in some approach distances 125 yards in

Where I'm starting from (my swing since September):

• Like 2

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

Practice yesterday. Only focus was improving my club/hand path in transition. My swing thought is to try to "stand the club up" with my hands behind me. A lot of folks will see NTC throw one when I do that. 

I generally will do 3-4 balls of a drill, 3-4 balls swinging slo-mo, and a couple balls trying to hulk smash. Rinse and repeat for about 20 minutes, break, and go again. 

• Like 2

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

19 minutes ago, Simpsonia said:

You seem pretty methodical about your practice. Something I aspire to be in mine, but often get undisciplined and deviate. You should check out the Game Like Golfing methodology for making changes and see if it helps you. 

Enjoyed the vid. A lot of good things in there for folks looking to improve their practice methodology. I do the 3-5 ball station/segment at the range; will leave the balls in the bucket and pluck them out when I'm ready to work on the next thing. 

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Only got about 30 minutes of practice in tonight, due to work running late. 

One realization that I made after re-watching is that the better I got the club working behind me in transition with the hands, the more my body wants to turn and get open at impact. Still a long ways to go in general, this is foreign to my current brain. 

• Like 2

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Did a little bit of hands work at the beginning, trying to keep the hands always moving from backswing to transition, but working slowly. Tonight though, was a lower body night. Right knee rebending a bit more in early transition, then left hip really turning hard and trying to get out of the way.

Last three swings, I had to literally think "right, left" (more like ri-left!) trying to do it at full speed. First two the exaggerated intention wasn't good, but the last one I did well on it and was honestly happier, even if the swing didn't look optimal. 

P.S. - I am wearing the same outfit as yesterday. Lazy WFH habits. 

P.P.S - Find the shank.

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Gave myself a fun and brief short game test. 10 balls, 75 yards, 52 degree wedge. No practice balls before the first. This shot forces me to have a lot of speed control. 

The first 5 balls I hit, I allowed my body to just try to perceive what 75 feels like. Didn't care about the results (they were pretty good honestly). The next 5 I tried to make adjustments to my speed since I was a few yards short on the first 5. As the data quickly showed, me adding "a little" speed to cover 5 yards equaled 5 MPH of additional clubhead speed, sending the ball well over my target by 15-20 yards. 

I wouldn't screw with my wedge swing speed if I was 5 yards short on the course, but it's good to understand why I really shouldn't at this point of my game lol. Outside of the outliers with too much swing speed, inside 15' is pretty darn good. 

FSXData.PNG.700ba3d453b32c4a0fc3ad62a34d60af.PNG

image.png.9ccc71f9f1f7c0778c03d40f1e77aee6.png

Edited by Precis1on
  • Like 1

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

14 minutes ago, ericg33 said:

I will be following along as I am working on the same thing and expect it will take me a while.  I need to get more disciplined in my approach. How do you like the Quad for feedback and are you also using something like Hackmotion?

For swing changes themselves, I’m not bringing the Quad into play yet. I need to get the hands moving correctly, which is going to be the hardest. Once that goes the right direction, I’ll use the Quad to make sure my body and arms are getting the club moving in the right direction. This will probably involve a lesson with Monte to understand what to look at and what changes will move certain numbers around. Until I start to feel the correct movement, I don’t feel that the numbers matter. I’m not at that level of micro.

I’m not quite at the point where Hackmotion is what I want to invest in. I’d probably invest in a pressure mat first. I don’t get enough optimization out of my legs for how strong they are (former fencer). 

Edited by Precis1on

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

My original pattern 7 years ago was a huge right shoulder drop to the point where I was up 4 with a 6 iron, as well as hip action that would make Elvis jealous.

I’m getting my left shoulder down in transition now, hips are quieter, but a bit out of sync. This past spring, my primary focus was to get the left hip leading my downswing properly. That got my handle moving the wrong way though, so I need to do some work to get that right. To be fair, I was never great at getting the club shallow with my hands, this was really overdue. My hands and club go out to the ball too early with a bit of a yank. I’m good enough to shallow it late and with a consistent low point, but the handle isn’t in a good spot. 

I’m getting good enough that I can ascertain that I’m applying changes correctly. I reach out to Monte if I think I’m regressing somewhere or to get a checkpoint for what to optimize next. I tend to get tunnel vision on what I’m changing and forget other minor things.

• Like 1

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

No practice yesterday, but got to finally replace my stock shaft in my 52 degree wedge with an S400. Today did the same 10 ball wedge game as before, 75 yards, and was pleased with the results. SwingCatalyst only captured 7 swings. Wasn't focused on much other than hitting it 75 and getting the hands feeling like they were moving the club before the body. 

image.png.01f54304a721a5a993bb4a9d82118466.png

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

I managed to bop my GCQuad on a rebound for the first time. Talk about adding gray hairs to my head. 

My in to out has gone from about 2 degrees to about 10, so it's time for me to start matching up my release pattern. The fling it drill from Broomforce has been handy here to delay my application of speed until I get the handle going left enough. If I apply speed too early while the club's much further behind me, I get in trouble. 

Enjoy the Quad bop and a full swing (like 1 out of 100) that looks like I'm applying things correctly. 

Edited by Precis1on

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Going to hopefully play tomorrow, been raining for like 40 hours here in Chicago. 

I always reset at the end of my practice session after grinding swing changes before heading out to the course. Keeping expectations low, and do my best to play smart. Tonight I chose 8 iron and a target of 140 yards to hit 10-15 balls at, keeping no real swing thoughts in mind. This is about 15-20 yards shorter than a max 8 for me and I will play a very stable left arm to 9 o'clock shot with minimal hip motion in transition. This is the exact strategy I will take to the course tomorrow for every approach shot and most tee shots. It gives me the highest opportunity to get it on the green and put my putter in play. 

image.png.7d9f7a24ecd828fe6e2fe14692937721.png

Edited by Precis1on

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

• 2 weeks later...

Took a week off, mostly to recharge a bit and also the sunroom is getting cold these days.

Bigger reason was that my backswing and downswing sequencing were way out of whack. In order to feel an ulnar deviation or throw, I was letting the backswing go longer so I could "feel a throwing action". All bad things, and combined with my downswing sequencing was getting me way to far inside. Probably my largest blocker to improvement is that I overdo everything, and usually overdo it incorrectly, like going longer in the backswing to feel a throw. 

So resetting somewhat this week. Going back to making sure my backswing is actually a good backswing, work on sequencing (I don't feel that I'm doing great rotating and extending right now), and transition hand work. Sandwiched a practice swing in there where I felt like I was doing the rotation right, but still not getting into extension early enough. Can't do it on a practice, can't do it when there's a ball in front of me for sure :D. One thing at a time!

Edited by Precis1on

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Literally grinding it out of the dirt right now. Made some realizations that my arms and body still doesn't know wtf to do with the club after transition, so slowly moving the chain forward in practice. The right shoulder is still causing me issues by going to low and my hips and legs are still a bit clueless as well, but will be learning hopefully soon. 

The last swing went a solid 190 with a 7 iron, 6760 rpm of spin. Was probably about as easy as a 190 swing as ever felt (and I can probably count on one hand how many times I've ever hit a 7 iron 190), albeit I'm still a bit clueless on how to generate power and maintain balance. 

• Like 1

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Also in terms of videos recorded per swing / drill etc. I don't have a proper mic to catch everything (if you guys see the tiny little thing on the ground that qualifies as a mic) so SwingCatalyst doesn't pick up every swing if the impact doesn't make a lot of sound. In a 1 hour practice session I probably have 35 or so videos and have probably hit less than 75 balls, most of them slow drills that were never caught on cam. 

I've made changes before, but have always lost patience recording on my phone at the range. This has been an absolute game changer and I have zero reason to not do it. 

Edited by Precis1on

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

I think for this kind of change constant video is very helpful. As I said above, I’m on a similar journey but lacking your discipline. I’m struggling now with not completing my turn because I am so focused on the transition move. Which is ironic because handle yanking is my problem which a less than full turn contributes to a fair bit.

I also don’t think I ulnar deviate properly because on practice swings I will do it but then pull the club back into a more cupped position which is bizarre when seeing it on video. Feels weird to hit the ball from close to the ground. 

one question, are you exaggerating left shoulder down on purpose in your videos?  If so, why?

45 minutes ago, ericg33 said:

I think for this kind of change constant video is very helpful. As I said above, I’m on a similar journey but lacking your discipline. I’m struggling now with not completing my turn because I am so focused on the transition move. Which is ironic because handle yanking is my problem which a less than full turn contributes to a fair bit.

I also don’t think I ulnar deviate properly because on practice swings I will do it but then pull the club back into a more cupped position which is bizarre when seeing it on video. Feels weird to hit the ball from close to the ground. 

one question, are you exaggerating left shoulder down on purpose in your videos?  If so, why?

Not an exaggeration anymore, that’s currently how much my body wants to get the left shoulder down. Mostly the rest of my sequencing and actions aren’t matching up with it. Getting the left shoulder down was a fix a LONG time ago to change my swing from right shoulder down first. Right now I could probably stand to get the pelvis moving down and left earlier and better and my left shoulder probably won’t react as aggressively. 

I realized similar things to you like not finishing my turn, or turning at all. Combining throw A plus some Broomforce tabletop drills to get the arms moving a little further before pausing seems to help me sequence my turn. 

The ulnar deviation shouldn’t last forever if I understand it correctly. Wrists should be going into extension before impact. This is another really major thing Im working on, I’ve held off the club a bit too long for a few years now and it’s getting in the way of making a proper release. 

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Appreciate the dedication but why exactly are you changing your swing into something so forced and unathletic? I mean my wrists hurt just watching those videos. There is nothing there that any PGA tour players do (maybe Berger?).

Real shallowing is something that happens naturally with proper sequencing and is not from forcing your wrists and arms into that stuck position. 

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

Appreciate the dedication but why exactly are you changing your swing into something so forced and unathletic? I mean my wrists hurt just watching those videos. There is nothing there that any PGA tour players do (maybe Berger?).

Real shallowing is something that happens naturally with proper sequencing and is not from forcing your wrists and arms into that stuck position. 

I hold off the club for too long as a natural instinct after adding flexion to my left wrist. Berger does increase, I don't as I come down, but I get the clubhead moving out too fast and too steep. Right now leading to too much slide to the left to shallow it late. You can see that I don't regain enough flexion in the right side as I come down in transition. My goal right now is just to throw a bit of wrist flexion away and behind me in transition. 

Right now I'm drilling and isolating movements that I'm poor at, and slowly incorporating those into my swing and letting my body learn new positions and new sequences. On the swings I go full bore at the ball (last swing in the videos usually), all I'm trying to see is if my body is properly learning. If you watch and think my full speed swings are unatheletic, then I'd definitely love more details for feedback and improvement. 

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

4 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

Just gotta say I love the practice diaries you post here. They motivate me to better structure and maintain my own practice schedule and routines. 

Thanks appreciate it! I think "practice diaries" will be the next name of the thread when winter is over 😄

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

5 minutes ago, Precis1on said:

I hold off the club for too long as a natural instinct after adding flexion to my left wrist. Berger does increase, I don't as I come down, but I get the clubhead moving out too fast and too steep. Right now leading to too much slide to the left to shallow it late. You can see that I don't regain enough flexion in the right side as I come down in transition. My goal right now is just to throw a bit of wrist flexion away and behind me in transition. 

Right now I'm drilling and isolating movements that I'm poor at, and slowly incorporating those into my swing and letting my body learn new positions and new sequences. On the swings I go full bore at the ball (last swing in the videos usually), all I'm trying to see is if my body is properly learning. If you watch and think my full speed swings are unatheletic, then I'd definitely love more details for feedback and improvement. 

I get it - but you can't maintain balance and you are very stuck. It's costing you speed as you can't release the club without throwing your head at the target. 

6 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I get it - but you can't maintain balance and you are very stuck. It's costing you speed as you can't release the club without throwing your head at the target. 

All fair points. My release wasn't correct even before this process began, I'm hopeful that it'll come over time. I'm still trying to work out the right sequence and positions that get me there. It's a grind for sure. 

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Dear Diary,

I've lost what made my backswing and transition good. Time to go back before going forward. 

Just got too focused on what I was trying to do with the hands in transition, and my backswing and transition started to wander to try to overemphasize the feel. Time to take a step back. 

Most likely will work in a strict rotation of backswing work, hands work, and sequencing work. 

• Like 1

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Going backwards seemed to have the right effect. Will continue on prioritizing maintaining a good backswing first, incorporating stuff second. 

• Like 1

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Was in San Francisco this past week. Did get a round in at a muddy and wet Presidio. +6 on the front, and +1 on the back for a +7 round. Not bad, given that my putter completely abandoned me (probably like five 3 putts and multiple misses within 5 feet), unfamiliar course and bad conditions, and first round taking a new move out.

A few notes from the course:

1.) My sole swing thought was just making a good backswing. The two thoughts in sequence was "turn body, set wrists" with the goal of getting "tall and wide". 

2.) My irons were absolute lasers, probably can attest that to the work on the sim. Every birdie was a tap in, and hit 14 GIRs. 

3.) I didn't necessarily hit the ball "hard", did my best not to let anything take over. Added an extra club or two and was generally a hair long over the pin. 

4.) Wedge game was good.

5.) Putter sucked so bad. 

Back to it this upcoming week!

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

On 11/13/2021 at 5:35 PM, Precis1on said:

Going backwards seemed to have the right effect. Will continue on prioritizing maintaining a good backswing first, incorporating stuff second. 

I would like Monte to chime in, but I don't think you can shallow with that backswing. You fan the club face wide open in the takeaway. I would try to get the clubhead outside the hands a little more in the initial move away. 

In the downswing your right hip,knee,leg  looks to kick out early making it hard to get your arm structure in front. Looks like you drop your right shoulder to try and shallow.

Just my 2 cents. Swing is pretty solid if your shooting +7

Cobra LTDx 10.5

TEE C722 16.5

TEE C722 19

Srixon ZU85 22

New Level 902 5-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50,54,58

Odyssey White Hot OG # 7

8 minutes ago, Elkhair said:

I would like Monte to chime in, but I don't think you can shallow with that backswing. You fan the club face wide open in the takeaway. I would try to get the clubhead outside the hands a little more in the initial move away. 

In the downswing your right hip,knee,leg  looks to kick out early making it hard to get your arm structure in front. Looks like you drop your right shoulder to try and shallow.

Just my 2 cents. Swing is pretty solid if your shooting +7

The right knee, hip, shoulder etc is my absolute kryptonite. It’s been worse, just one of those things I’ve had to manage. Monte has me getting the left hip trying to lead, but I fail to regain right knee rebend in transition right now so I have to work on both separately; going down then around. Eventually I’ll have to get the chest around better as well. 

Backswing I’m trying to regain some arm width again, but it’s a good point to monitor the club a bit more. 

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400