Aerotech steel fiber i95 flex

tdelam

I want to buy some new irons with Aerotech Steel Fiber i95. I don't have a fitter near me right now. I normally play KBS Tour S or DG S300. I have a 92 mph 6 iron swing speed. A lot of people I speak to say that the Aerotech shafts are stiffer than most so to play an R. Is this the case? Should I get a S or an R flex give the above information?

- Titleist 917 D2 w/ Grandura 570 S

- Ping G25 16.5*
-
Miura CB-801  4-PW w/ KBS Tour S 120
- Titleist SM8 50*, 54*, 58*, 62*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

I seem to recall that the stiff Steelfibers were designed to emulate the S300's. If anyone can confirm or correct, I'd appreciate it.

Some combo of any or all:

M5 w/ Px Evenflow Blue 65 6.0 / Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
4-PW: JPX 921 Forged w/ F3 Recoil 95's / Callaway (OG) Apex w/ KBS PGI 80g / Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56* Vokey SM5's

60* Wilson Staff
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

2 hours ago, JRL2 said:

What is your transition like?  I have two sets of i95s and another with 115fc all in stiff, but I have a quick transition and they work great for me.  I came from Project X 6.0 which are also very stiff.

Transition is somewhat quick. It depends on the day. I have been working on tempo lately which involves a bit of a slower transition at the top

- Titleist 917 D2 w/ Grandura 570 S

- Ping G25 16.5*
-
Miura CB-801  4-PW w/ KBS Tour S 120
- Titleist SM8 50*, 54*, 58*, 62*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

6 hours ago, rwl said:

I seem to recall that the stiff Steelfibers were designed to emulate the S300's. If anyone can confirm or correct, I'd appreciate it.

The Wishon Shaft Profile data shows the i95 Stiff is very close to DGS300.  And, the i95 Regular is close to DGR.

Here's the data I've picked up over the years:

image.png.a06a27d9d7a02a28d4e1eba3e7a38760.png

image.png.35e875c080e4a3eacdb5d40e73cd3430.png

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

This data from Titleist.  

Some people claim that the R flex SF plays like an S but both NRJyzr's posted data and this refute that, in fact the Titeist data suggests they play soft to flex.  

image.png.85549a460ecb874dff43745185f92c89.png

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Mizuno JPX 929 Hot Metal w/Nippon 950S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

51 minutes ago, Nessism said:

This data from Titleist.  

Some people claim that the R flex SF plays like an S but both NRJyzr's posted data and this refute that, in fact the Titeist data suggests they play soft to flex.  

10 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

It's all about perspective.   Stiffer than most other (stock) graphite shafts - definitely.   Stiffer than steel DG's - no, not really.

As I was posting that data above, I wondered if perhaps some of the "feels stiff to flex" comments could be based on those who have tried i95 Stiff, and happen to be sensitive to butt flex more than other profiles of the shaft?

It's an off the cuff SWAG theory, but wanted to toss it out there.

I also recognize that 36" reading for i95 stiff could be aberrational.  🙂

Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"

3 hours ago, JRL2 said:

What is your transition like?  I have two sets of i95s and another with 115fc all in stiff, but I have a quick transition and they work great for me.  I came from Project X 6.0 which are also very stiff.

Did you notice a difference in the two shafts?  I have a set of i110cw(S) and fc115cw(S) and  even with both swingweighted to the same D2 value, they seem different for my swing (also relatively aggressive transition).  The fc seems to pull/hook the ball tremendously versus the i110cw, I presume from the soft tip on the fc versus stiffer tip on the i-series.  I would imagine the i95 would be even more pronounced, as the i110 and i95 have different bend profiles (looking at the data)

42 minutes ago, Murdock said:

Did you notice a difference in the two shafts?  I have a set of i110cw(S) and fc115cw(S) and  even with both swingweighted to the same D2 value, they seem different for my swing (also relatively aggressive transition).  The fc seems to pull/hook the ball tremendously versus the i110cw, I presume from the soft tip on the fc versus stiffer tip on the i-series.  I would imagine the i95 would be even more pronounced, as the i110 and i95 have different bend profiles (looking at the data)

Something about the club you swung was contributing to you cutting across the target line leading to a pull.  It's a swing problem. 

Sometimes when a club doesn't feel right to a person they are not able to put a good swing on the ball.  It could be related to overall club weight, or the feeling of flex in their hands.  Impossible for us to say.  

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Mizuno JPX 929 Hot Metal w/Nippon 950S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

This ^^ is spot on and often it really is this simple. Something about the club just doesn’t feel right and the swing will show it. 

• Like 2

COBRA RADSPEED 9.0 HZRDUS RDX BLUE 6.0                                        SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                       SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                         SRIXON ZX7 A WEDGE 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

I went from the 110’s to the 95’s, both in stiff flex.   I felt like the 110’s were quite beefy.  The 95’s feel very similar to a s300.  This may just be a personal feel thing based on weight, but from my perspective the 95’s played a little softer.  They still play “true to flex”, if that even means anything, just not as stout as the 110’s.

Seems a good time to share a bit more profile data.  I included the now gone RIP Tour, and threw in KBS Tour stiff for the heck of it.

image.png.b3b0147ae132d64ce4d44af902b80263.png

• Like 1

I have sets of irons with i95 R flex straight in, i110 R flex straight in, and fc115 soft-stepped 1X.  Love them all, but the i110 is my jam I suppose.  I am about 95mph driver ss, and 84mph 7 iron ss.

My G425 irons actually originally had i110 S flex, and from a fitting and performance stand-point, I did play them really well.  But the i110 S were really so stiff, that they actually caused me more pain than a standard steel shaft.   Though I loved how they performed, I had to get them re-shafted with i110 R flex, and all is/was well again.

As has been noted, perhaps because the i110 require more weight to get swing weight up, the i110 do play slightly livelier for me than the i95 (I have those in a set of G410 irons).  I also like the extra weight of the i110.  Both really outstanding shafts, but they are a bit different.  Of course, i95 S flex would be best for some, but I can't imagine many mere mortal swings really overpowering Steelfiber R flex, though.

The fc115 stiff ss1x work well for me, and in fact, I wish I would have soft-stepped them twice.  Once again, terrific shafts, especially if you are used to shaft weight in the 115-120g range (as you can see, I generally like a little lighter, around 105-110g).  YMMV.

Taylormade Sim Max D 9* Driver, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 6F3

Cobra SpeedZone 3 Wood, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7 R

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Ping G425 Irons 5-UW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

My natural shot pattern is a draw, I haven't noticed the 115fc adding anything extra to that as long as I don't come over the top.  The extra weight seems to keep me from doing that as often as I did with the i95, and I also have them at D5-D6 with some tip weight and lighter grips which for me also helps with my transition.  I don't like them as much as I did the Project X 6.0, but the graphite was necessary due to injury.

Apologies gentlemen, I realize my previous post was done in haste on my way out the door for work.  So @Nessism I'm with you 100% and agree.  I realized the pulls/hooks occurred when I hadn't matched the SW of the two clubs just yet.  So I wasn't comparing apples to apples...and furthermore, I wasn't' necessarily comparing apples to apples with the setups either.  Different heads (although comparable) and different grips.  Once I added around 10g to the fc115cw club, I eliminated the pulls/hooks, but the fc115 still does seem to promote more of a pronounced draw than the i110.  The fc115 feels 'smoother' and does promote a slightly higher balls flight, but now that I've tinkered with things they feel relatively similar...not night and day like they did before.  

@JRL2 how in the world were you able to get a D5/D6?  The i110 build (w/GP cords standard) I had to add 8g of tip weights just to get to a D2 and the fc115 clubs (w/lamkin UTX standard), I had to add 8+ grams to the head with lead tape just to get to a D2.  

Which also means that I'm effectively playing these two club setups SS 1, which may explain why I do not feel the boardiness mentioned by others.  Was coming from C-Taper S+ and PX LZ 6.5, so definitely a change...but I do like the smoothness of the Steelfibers.  I played Recoil 110 F5's for a minute and liked those as well, but I feel the Steelfiber's are a better fit.  

Has anyone ever heard of a Steelfiber i110 or fc115 build where you didn't have to add a bunch of head/tip weight to get into the D's for SW?  Unless they specifically were tailored for folks in the C8-9 swingweight range, which doesn't make sense to me

Question:  anyone have the data on the balance point of the i110cw versus the fc115cw shafts?  Couldn't find it anywhere

2 hours ago, Murdock said:

Apologies gentlemen, I realize my previous post was done in haste on my way out the door for work.  So @Nessism I'm with you 100% and agree.  I realized the pulls/hooks occurred when I hadn't matched the SW of the two clubs just yet.  So I wasn't comparing apples to apples...and furthermore, I wasn't' necessarily comparing apples to apples with the setups either.  Different heads (although comparable) and different grips.  Once I added around 10g to the fc115cw club, I eliminated the pulls/hooks, but the fc115 still does seem to promote more of a pronounced draw than the i110.  The fc115 feels 'smoother' and does promote a slightly higher balls flight, but now that I've tinkered with things they feel relatively similar...not night and day like they did before.  

@JRL2 how in the world were you able to get a D5/D6?  The i110 build (w/GP cords standard) I had to add 8g of tip weights just to get to a D2 and the fc115 clubs (w/lamkin UTX standard), I had to add 8+ grams to the head with lead tape just to get to a D2.  

Which also means that I'm effectively playing these two club setups SS 1, which may explain why I do not feel the boardiness mentioned by others.  Was coming from C-Taper S+ and PX LZ 6.5, so definitely a change...but I do like the smoothness of the Steelfibers.  I played Recoil 110 F5's for a minute and liked those as well, but I feel the Steelfiber's are a better fit.  

Has anyone ever heard of a Steelfiber i110 or fc115 build where you didn't have to add a bunch of head/tip weight to get into the D's for SW?  Unless they specifically were tailored for folks in the C8-9 swingweight range, which doesn't make sense to me

Question:  anyone have the data on the balance point of the i110cw versus the fc115cw shafts?  Couldn't find it anywhere

I built a set with i110cw and used 10gram brass ferrules and 1/4 inch longer than standard that got me to d3. I know the ferrule is kind of like adding a tip weight in terms of swingweighting but that’s another option. If you needed heavier you could add smaller tip weights if you wanted heavier. 

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

13 minutes ago, Doaner84 said:

I built a set with i110cw and used 10gram brass ferrules and 1/4 inch longer than standard that got me to d3. I know the ferrule is kind of like adding a tip weight in terms of swingweighting but that’s another option. If you needed heavier you could add smaller tip weights if you wanted heavier. 

Good point, I've researched the metal ferrules and will most likely go that route next build, instead of using the large tip weights.  Plus, you can get those ferrules in (typically) larger weight increments, to the best of my knowledge.  

Still, if you're adding all that weight to get to a D5/D6, seems that you'd be SS the shafts multiple times, if I understand the principals and math behind it.  

8 minutes ago, Murdock said:

Good point, I've researched the metal ferrules and will most likely go that route next build, instead of using the large tip weights.  Plus, you can get those ferrules in (typically) larger weight increments, to the best of my knowledge.  

Still, if you're adding all that weight to get to a D5/D6, seems that you'd be SS the shafts multiple times, if I understand the principals and math behind it.  

That’s why I went with x flex with them since I read the same thing about adding that much weight. It felt pretty good but ymmv. Good luck. Yeah with some of the ferrules you can get very heavy if needed. 

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime