2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Epic super hybrid

erikro

Just a heads up, if you're considering ordering it, that right now you can get it with a free real-deal Ventus Blue HB or Ventus Black HB shaft at PGA Superstore thanks to a glitch in the "customize club" portion of their website that they somewhat hilariously still haven't fixed.

I tried the Epic Super Hybrid and wound up returning it because the Apex UW was better for me. But it's a nice club. Definitely forgiving. I may be alone in this, but it didn't seem to me to have the heavy draw bias that a lot of people say hybrids have. I thought the ball flight was pretty high. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

My Epic super hybrid is a beast.  Crazy long hitting for a *22 hybrid and very forgiving.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10.5, Ventus Red 60
TM 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
TM 7 wood,  Fuji Red TR 70

Ping G430  Hybrid # 22
PXG Gen 6 XP irons 5-GW with MMT 95 shafts

TM M4 54 & 58 Wedges

Odyssey Versa M5  Putter

16 hours ago, eric61 said:

Just a heads up, if you're considering ordering it, that right now you can get it with a free real-deal Ventus Blue HB or Ventus Black HB shaft at PGA Superstore thanks to a glitch in the "customize club" portion of their website that they somewhat hilariously still haven't fixed.

I tried the Epic Super Hybrid and wound up returning it because the Apex UW was better for me. But it's a nice club. Definitely forgiving. I may be alone in this, but it didn't seem to me to have the heavy draw bias that a lot of people say hybrids have. I thought the ball flight was pretty high. 

I may need to do this after missing out on the UW deal.  I have the Epic Super 3H with Ventus Blue HB I got from DD, and I love it.  Very easy to launch, and the head feels incredibly stable for a hybrid.  I’m just not sure if I’d got with a 4H or get the 5H and turn it down a degree.  Decisions, decisions.

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl Stiff

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

8 hours ago, JMB3 said:

I may need to do this after missing out on the UW deal.  I have the Epic Super 3H with Ventus Blue HB I got from DD, and I love it.  Very easy to launch, and the head feels incredibly stable for a hybrid.  I’m just not sure if I’d got with a 4H or get the 5H and turn it down a degree.  Decisions, decisions.

I’ve been wondering how the 5H at 24* would gap from the UW at 19*. That might be a good combination… the super-high launch on a 5H scares me, but the right shaft might help.

• Like 1

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

On 10/26/2021 at 11:29 PM, eric61 said:

Is that shaft really the real Ventus?

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

5 hours ago, shaolingolfer said:

Is that shaft really the real Ventus?

Yes it is. Callaway doesn’t do a made-for version. I even ordered one — returned it because I liked the Apex UW better, but it was a real Ventus. Several pages of discussion in the UW thread about people getting real Ventus and Trono shafts for no upcharge via PGA SS thanks to an error on their site that they just haven’t fixed.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:29 PM, eric61 said:

I believe it's built for mid-high HCers, according to the YT videos I've seen. That's what you want in a hybrid, simplicity! But, like you mention, it's not for everyone.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 1:46 PM, JMB3 said:

Why not get a 3H and just move up or down?

On 10/27/2021 at 12:29 AM, eric61 said:

Probably not a glitch at all.

The previous Super Hybrid (orange Mavrik color) had a real deal Tensei Orange shaft and the price was, I believe $319, considerably higher than most other hybrids from other companies.

This Epic S.H. is $399 for goodness sake. I would expect a real deal shaft for that kind of money. coffee.gif

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Just now, nsxguy said:

Probably not a glitch at all.

The previous Super Hybrid (orange Mavrik color) had a real deal Tensei Orange shaft and the price was, I believe $319, considerably higher than most other hybrids from other companies.

This Epic S.H. is $399 for goodness sake. I would expect a real deal shaft for that kind of money. coffee.gif

What has me thinking it's a glitch is that the Ventus Blue HB is only a no-upcharge shaft with the Epic Super Hybrid on the PGA SS site -- nowhere else, at least that I've found. And it only showed up that way when they erroneously listed the Apex UW with hybrid (rather than wood) shafts, including the Ventus Blue and Black hybrid shafts, at no upcharge for the first few days after it launched. 

It's also, for some reason, listed as a no-upcharge option on the Titleist u505 under the customize menu. But the site is having further problems -- it won't let you add any custom u505 to your cart, so there's no way to check it out. 

7 minutes ago, eric61 said:

What has me thinking it's a glitch is that the Ventus Blue HB is only a no-upcharge shaft with the Epic Super Hybrid on the PGA SS site -- nowhere else, at least that I've found. And it only showed up that way when they erroneously listed the Apex UW with hybrid (rather than wood) shafts, including the Ventus Blue and Black hybrid shafts, at no upcharge for the first few days after it launched. 

It's also, for some reason, listed as a no-upcharge option on the Titleist u505 under the customize menu. But the site is having further problems -- it won't let you add any custom u505 to your cart, so there's no way to check it out. 

I didn't look up anything. And I pay zero attention to those newer  in betweens. In between a hybrid and a long iron; i.e. a forgiving long iron.v :classic_rolleyes:

Just tried to make sense of the Ventus being a no upcharge shaft on the Super Hybrid.

Given that was the case with the Tensei last year it seems logical that's the same thing this year with the Ventus.

But who knows - maybe it is a mistake.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

16 minutes ago, doubledub said:

Anyone know what adapter the super hybrid uses or what other clubs use the same adapter? Callaway adapter info seems a bit harder to find than TM stuff I usually use. Callaway site says Optiforce 3 but I can't find that description anywhere else. 

Optifit 3 .370

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

22 minutes ago, doubledub said:

Anyone know what adapter the super hybrid uses or what other clubs use the same adapter? Callaway adapter info seems a bit harder to find than TM stuff I usually use. Callaway site says Optiforce 3 but I can't find that description anywhere else. 

BTW Callaway has 3 types of adapters (hybrids, fairway and driver) you have to buy the correct one. I have them being delivered today I can post a photo.  

The shaft deal mentioned above is no longer available.  I picked up the 20 degree 4H with stock Steel Fiber shaft.  Looks good, albeit a bit big, sounds ok and honestly feels a bit harsh.  Distance is good, it's easy to elevate and I played 7 rounds this week while on vacation and did not hook it once.  All this being said I am not sure I am going to keep it and may take it back under the 90 day return policy where I purchased it.  

• 2 months later...

ordered mine in december and still waiting, apparently the recoil Dart shaft is backordered. Love my Super Hybrid so much, cant wait to try this one

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

• 5 months later...
39 minutes ago, ephmen said:

Just went on clearance. Anyone still hitting these? Like them?

I swapped mine out for a UW.  The club is a bit of a one trick pony with hitting super high, low spinning shots.  It makes for a great tee club and an okay club off the ground provided your in the fairway and the lie is good.  The shape/size does not make it a great club out of the rough, and it's not a great club for windy days since it does not want to go low.  If you're a higher handicapper, I wouldn't hesitate to put one in the bag right now, it's stupid easy to hit.  If you're a low handicapper and need a bit more from a club, it's not for you.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

previously bought both 21degree superhybrid and apex uw on the same day, uw stay superhybrid away.

easy to hit, great distance, weird sound and feeling, a bit odd in alignment.

its a fine club but just not right for me

Ping G430Max 10.5 VentusTR 
Titleist TSR2 16.5  VentusTR
Titleist TSR2 21 SpeederNX

Ping G430 HB22 Ventus
Titleist T100 i5-i9 
Titleist SM9 46F10/50F08/54S10/58T04
Taylormade SpiderX

Titleist ProV1

Picked up a Super 4 H from Cally Pre Owned in the Spring, marked as like new for about $200. It came w/the real Tensei Orange. I also had a Tensei Blue hybrid shaft sitting around, so ordered the adapter. Now I have a couple shaft option to tinker with. Must say even at stock 4 setting, damn thing is a rocket. Was initially looking for a 4 iron replacement, but when you drop the loft down, its like a 5 wood. Fun club to hit, but trying to figure out where it fits in the bag can be challenging due to it length.

4 hours ago, Luke'sdad said:

Picked up a Super 4 H from Cally Pre Owned in the Spring, marked as like new for about $200. It came w/the real Tensei Orange. I also had a Tensei Blue hybrid shaft sitting around, so ordered the adapter. Now I have a couple shaft option to tinker with. Must say even at stock 4 setting, damn thing is a rocket. Was initially looking for a 4 iron replacement, but when you drop the loft down, its like a 5 wood. Fun club to hit, but trying to figure out where it fits in the bag can be challenging due to it length.

Yep - usually have to get one club down with these and the UW of whatever loft your trying to match.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party on these but I just picked one up and thought I would give some info for anyone still looking. 

Picked up a 4 hybrid at a huge discount and I love it.  I go driver to a 4 wood (G410 5 wood turned down) and was having problems after that into irons.  Tried a couple 7 woods that didn't work out and then this.  To me it's perfect.  Great 210-220 club that goes relatively high and straight.  I have it turned down and it sits very neutral.  I had an epic max 7 wood that sat closed and I couldn't stand it.  Taller face so off the tee isn't a problem either.  Definitely worth a demo or buy it blind like I did and hope for the best!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m a 68 yo mid cap (14) with an 85mph SS any thoughts on which would be a better hybrid for me, the PXG Gen4 XF  or the Super Hybrid?
I’m thinking 4&5, MMT in the Gen4 or the Aerotech in the Epic. For what it’s worth, I have the MMT in my irons and like the shaft very much. I’ve never hit aerotech, but at $175 new, the price seems really good with the Epic.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5