Which TaylorMade driver has been your fave?

playit

2017 M2 was a gem. The face was hot. Still used by a handful of pros.

• Like 1

Driver:    PXG 0811X Gen4, Tensei Pro Orange 6S

Fairway: Ping G425 7 wood, Aldila Rogue White 7S

Irons:      Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6-GW, Modus 105R

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 55 and 59, KBS HiRev 2.0R

Putter:    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

r510 tp with a Grafalloy Blue shaft. Later replaced with a SLDR 460 stock fujikura shaft. The sldr is so good i still have it. I literally took the sldr to pga SS and hit 5 balls to warm up. They said keep going, and after 20 balls they said those numbers are going to be really hard to beat. An hour later I left still playing my sldr. This was a few years ago and I currently rotate between a Sim and a Tour Edge C721. To be honest the sldr can still keep up most days. It's less forgiving than the C721 and not as long as the Sim (but straighter). 

I think right now, the Sim Max. The sound is wonderful -- oh the muted thud. The weight system is simple. And it's proven it's length and forgiveness. It's a keeper.

Taylormade Sim 2, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6-S tipped 1", Top Golf All-Fit Universal adapter

Callaway Epic Max LS, Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 stiff, Top Golf All-Fit Universal adapter
Fairways: Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft, Honma 737 18* 5 wood
Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 18*

Irons:       Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW with KBS TGI 95/100 shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS TGI 100 shaft. Cleveland Full Face 56* with Catalyst 100 shaft.
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft

Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Single Plane swing

R11 dot or the R7 superquad 282.  These heads were both tour issue and the face was usually cranked way open.  Smaller profile than their retail counterparts and spun less.  Way ahead of their time IMO. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana ZF 60TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I know I'm being a contrarian, but none.

Callaway has always shown better, along with the Ping G30. Mizuno ST series also tempting.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

1. Superfast tp hands down my favorite…look wasn’t my favorite but absolutely loved the sound/feel of it…really forgiving and long

2. R510 tp best combo of looks and feel/sound not the most forgiving of the bunch

3. OG sim max only hit it a few times but a great overall driver IMO didn’t have the best shaft length/swing weight combo to get me to really try it.

owned quite a few Tm drivers original copper burner, 300, 360, 580, r7, r7 shallow tour, r7 sq and sq 282, r9 460

Under construction....

R9 Supertri w/ Motore F1 4.1 x-flex. 

still think about this driver often. Looked beautiful behind the ball and was long. Was a tour issue head and a tour issue shaft. CPM’d at like 285 or something haha. It was a beast but worked really well with what they called a spinny head. That was back in my younger days. Don’t think I have the heat for it anymore but I’d love to play another couple rounds with that setup now that my game is more refined. 

Have had other TM’s through the years but this one is the only one I wish I still had.

Edited by rodney24

[u]Driver [/u]- Taylormade M5 9 degree - Tensei Pro White 70TX
[u]3 wood[/u] - TEE CB4--Axivcore Tour Green 85X
[u]Hybrid[/u] - Callaway X2hot 18 Tour Green 75X
[u]Irons[/u] - Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG X100
[u]Wedges [/u]- SM7 52, SM5 58 DG X100
[u]Putter [/u]- Seemore FGP Mallet

Black R1, M1 430, SIM...and hopefully the new TM driver come January 👍 

Taylormade SIM 10.5 - LA Golf Trono 75X

Taylormade RBZ Stg2 3HL - Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7x

Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI 3/20* - Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade 760 4-PW - Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG2 50*,54*,58* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Yes! Callie ❤️

Taylormade TP5x

Although I never played it (I've hit my buddy's enough), its gotta be the SuperQuad for me.

As far as the ones I've played, SIM for me beats M2/M3/M5 for me. Probably because I finally got out of AD-DI 7X, and found an old shaft and cut it a half inch short that for whatever reason works much better for me. Runner up is the Superfast (forget if I had the TP or not). I've seriously considered finding another one of those in 8 degrees and putting a Purple Ice 85X or a YS-8.1 for fun.

Driver:  (9) Taylormade SIM Graphite Design YS-6 X (Tipped 1.5", playing @45")

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel T/S Graphite Design YS-6 S

5-Wood: (18) Taylormade V-Steel 5 Graphite Design YS-8.1 TX

Hybrid: (21) Callaway RAZR Tour 3 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Irons: (5-P) PXG 0311P Gen 2 Nippon Modus3 125 X

Gap: ???

Sand: (54-12 Full) Cleveland RTX Zip Core Nippon Modus3 130 S

Lob: (58-12 D) Vokey SM8 True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge
Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Broomstick 45"

Ball: ProV1, Snell MTB Black, et al 

OG Rocketballz for looks but SIM Max for overall performance.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

The number one driver Taylormade ever produced was the R510 TP with the original Speeder 757 shaft. I wish had still had that it looked amazing, performed amazing and had the best sound and feel of any driver ever produced. Other drivers I wish I still had are the Superquad TP, R11 DOT, R7 TP, R7 425 TP and oroginal Aeroburner TP. All those drivers are better than what they now produce. Those were definitely the golden days for Taylormade in my opinion.

SIM 8* set closed at 9.5*

(it looks too open at std)

Tensei orange Tx 60

Keeps my spin down without feeling overly harsh or too hard to launch. 

I’ve had titleist drivers my whole life and the SIM is the only TM driver I’ve ever gotten along with.  

I did avoid TM for many years because I didn’t like the brand and despised white headed drivers. I hate to admit that the tour guys influence me but DJ, Tiger, Rory and Day changed my perception of TM. 

905S 9.5 Graffaloy Blue S
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

Ping G25 3 hybrid S300
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW S300
Ping Glide Stealth 52*/ Ping Tour S 56*/Ping Glide 3.0 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35”
Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

SLDR TP 460

SIM 

In My Bag
TM SIM 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM SIM Rocket 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM SIM MAX 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

2017 TM P790 3-PW Modus 120TX
JDM Titleist Vokey Forged 50* AND 58*
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

On 10/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, playit said:

Out of all the drivers I have ever had, I think it was the 320 Ti that was the best ever for me but I haven't played in many years, so, I don't know about newer ones. For the life of me, I cannot recall what shaft I had in it other than "stiff" flex. It's possible I put a UST Proforce 65 stiff in the driver, as I liked that shaft. And I think it was 45 inches or very close to that. I could hit a pretty draw with it but also could fade it. I had the 8.5 degree because I tended to hit the driver kind of high anyway. It felt great when I flushed it. The 320 Ti was such a treat to hit after replacing a TaylorMade BurnerPlus. I have no idea why I kept that thing so long, I was terrible with it regarding control. I could hit it plain ugly.

What was a great TM driver for you? Have you tried newer model TM drivers?

EDIT:  I found a web page that briefly covered the history of TM drivers and it said this... "In 2000, the 300 series became the number one driver on tour. The 300, 320 and 360 were developed for the three most prevalent swing types."

Anyone know what those swing types were for the 300, 320 and 360 drivers?

In order of consistency: 

R15 430 & 460 c 9D. Formerly with Oban Kiyoshi Gold (R) now Velecore 6R. Always so straight with MWT set at neutral and plenty of length. 

2016 M2 9.5D, always beat the M1. Shaft: Oban Kiyoshi Gold as above.

SIM Max 10.5D c/w Velecore 6R and SIM 9D c/w Velecore 5R.

A very old R7 TP 9.5D ( legal version ) with a 4 weight-port head. Maybe this was the Superquad’s precedessor.

The only TM driver I've ever liked is the R9 Superdeep TP.  I still have mine with a Proforce V2 76X shaft and I play it from time to time.  I did recently buy a Sim head, but haven't tried it yet.  We're supposed to have some nice weather coming up this Friday (Christmas Eve), so I'll get it shafted up and give it a whirl.  Hopefully it's an automatic fade machine.  I love my G400 Max, but the damn face squares up too easily and many of my attempted fades come out as straight pulls.  I know I'm going to hate the sound of the Sim, but if it performs I can get past that.  My expectations aren't very high, but it might surprise me.

Bag 1                                                                                     Bag 2                                                     

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X   PING Rapture 10.5° YS6+ S            

PING G25 16.5° 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                     Titleist 906F2 15° YS6+ FW S           

Callaway Epic Flash21° 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 904F 19° Speeder S      

TaylorMade 200 4 & 5 Irons S90 Steel                              Titleist 904F 22° DG S300               

Mizuno MP30 6-PW DG AMT X100                                    PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Cobra Trusty Rusty 51° DG X100                                        PING Eye 2 XG 56° & 60° DG S300

Mizuno T20 55° & 60° DG X100                                          PING Sigma Tyne H 

Yes! Natalie Center Shafted                                                Vice Pro Plus White

• 2 weeks later...

R7 425 TP whiteboard 83x was my best until I cracked it.

M1 whiteboard 73x might be even better but I'm a bit older now and I don't think my SS is still in the 120s lol

R9 Super deep fubuki 73x is my 3rd favorite but 1st favorite to look at.  

Always wanted a superquad but never got one because the 425 was such a beast.

Off topic but best irons ever Mizuno MP37s.  Hit probably two of my best shots ever with a set.  Best putter Scotty square back.  Wedges Cleveland 588s.  3 wood Titleist pt13.