Recommendations for new set of irons?

'Noles2013

Hello all I was thinking about upgrading to a new set of irons and was going to see if anyone had any recommendations.  For reference I’m currently using Titleist DCI 762’s and like them well enough but just think it’s time for an upgrade.  I currently shoot between 80-90 so not a worldbeater by any means but also not terrible.  Thanks all!

Pretty vague there buddy. What are you looking for in an iron, just a modern version of what you currently have, or are you looking for a departure? Budget? Set makeup? combo set? Players distance? blades? CB's???? The Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 have been pretty hot this year if that catches your eye

Edited by LUXOR54

5 minutes ago, LUXOR54 said:

Pretty vague there buddy. What are you looking for in an iron, just a modern version of what you currently have, or are you looking for a departure? Budget? Set makeup? combo set? Players distance? blades? CB's????

Just a modern version of what I have I guess. 3-P.

Dont think I’m pure enough of a ball striker for blades.

As for distance my 7 iron is in the 150 - 160 yard range.

Edited by 'Noles2013

Throwing a few suggestions out there. If you could provide us with swing speed, angle of attack etc. you would get better suggestions to your specific needs 🙂

Callaway Apex combo set

Titleist T200

Mizuno 921 Forged/Hot Metal

Ping G425

PXG 0211

Srixon ZX4/5 combo

Driver: Titleist TSr2 8.25

Wood: Titleist TSr2 15

Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 4hy 20

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Titleist Tei3 Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

4 hours ago, 'Noles2013 said:

Hello all I was thinking about upgrading to a new set of irons and was going to see if anyone had any recommendations.  For reference I’m currently using Titleist DCI 762’s and like them well enough but just think it’s time for an upgrade.  I currently shoot between 80-90 so not a worldbeater by any means but also not terrible.  Thanks all!

Come on man. 
From the info  you’ve  provided, I’ll tell just through a store see a couple irons you like the look of, air swing them, and just buy one of them.

Its obvious you could care less what you play, so just stop wasting everyone’s time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, john myrbch said:

Come on man. 
From the info  you’ve  provided, I’ll tell just through a store see a couple irons you like the look of, air swing them, and just buy one of them.

Its obvious you could care less what you play, so just stop wasting everyone’s time.

You didn’t have to comment… OP asked a question, the rest of us didn’t mind answering. You weren’t required to respond. 

• Like 2

Forever tinkering…

1 hour ago, john myrbch said:

Come on man. 

I appreciate the response.  Thanks so much.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, asKaasa said:

Throwing a few suggestions out there. If you could provide us with swing speed, angle of attack etc. you would get better suggestions to your specific needs 🙂

Callaway Apex combo set

Titleist T200

Mizuno 921 Forged/Hot Metal

Ping G425

PXG 0211

Srixon ZX4/5 combo

Been awhile since I’ve had my swing speed measured but I’d say I’m in the average range for someone in their mid 30s.  Regarding angle of attack the bruising I usually leave on the grass usually trails to the left which correlates with my left to right flight path.  

I have had my eyes on the T200s though.  

I wouldn't buy any irons based solely off anyone heres opinion. Mostly because they are usually right handed, so its off already.

But with the sheer number of options from $400 to $3500 from major OEM's to DTC, where would I even start? 

Oh wait, I know 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miura-Golf-Irons-Baby-Blades-2-0-in-Black-Copper-3-to-P-/324762794351?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Done.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

5 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I wouldn't buy any irons based solely off anyone heres opinion. Mostly because they are usually right handed, so its off already.

But with the sheer number of options from $400 to $3500 from major OEM's to DTC, where would I even start? 

Oh wait, I know 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miura-Golf-Irons-Baby-Blades-2-0-in-Black-Copper-3-to-P-/324762794351?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Done.

Well I wasn’t going to do that I was simply trying to gather some information on what other average golfers like myself liked/used.  But now I know I’ve made a mistake because I realized there are no average golfers on GolfWRX.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 'Noles2013 said:

Well I wasn’t going to do that I was simply trying to gather some information on what other average golfers like myself liked/used.  But now I know I’ve made a mistake because I realized there are no average golfers on GolfWRX.  

Delay that thought Private. 😉  There are plenty of a average golfers on this site, many more than would admit to that level of talent.  As a general suggestion, you should look at cavity backs such as Ping i210, current model Srixons, Titleist T100 or the Mizuno 921 Hot Metal.  You are coming from a cast club so any of these will feel similar on good strikes, plus provide superior ball speed and forgiveness compared to your 762s.

Edited by rgk5
  • Thanks 1

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

1 hour ago, 'Noles2013 said:

The bottom line is you have to hit it at some point. Either before or after you buy them, but eventually you are going to hit them. Then, and only then will you know if it was a good idea to switch.

My issue is I have enjoyed hitting new irons, so I keep buying new irons to hit. 🤣

I have a set coming end of next month and I hope Haywood makes my next, next set by end of the year. Then maybe I'll be done hitting new stuff, but I doubt it. I would do demo days if they ever had lefties.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

From your scores and comments, I would say you are in the Host List Game Improvement zone. Some considerations:

• Ping G425. This is Ping's middle-earth iron. Has a range of both steel and graphite shafts available. They ended up on my short list when I got new irons.
  • Ping i210. Billed as either Players or Players Distance, these are very smooth and friendly irons. I could launch with lighter shafts, although not as far as some irons. Again, a range of both steel and graphite shafts.

In Callawayland, I had two head-to-head tests of  standard Mavrik and Mavrik MAX.

• Mavrik MAX (see below). Flew every bit as well as Apex DCBs, and $400 cheaper. Although the MAX lofts were three degrees higher than standard Mavs, I was about a full club longer. Head designs are really different. Make sure you don't get a shaft that's too light.
  • Standard Mavrik. Has stronger lofts and some people find them a bit hard to launch. A younger, stronger guy I play with thinks base Mavs are great.

Note: Mavrik line appears to be phasing out. May have to dip into Callaway pre-owned if interested. (Means you can't get a direct fitting).

And, remember Law No. 1 of GolfWRX: Get fitted! You have faithfully used the DCI 762 for up to two decades, so it is time to refit. You deserve to get a fitting and find what you need for the next 20 years. 👍 

• Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

3 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

From your scores and comments, I would say you are in the Host List Game Improvement zone. Some considerations:

• Ping G425. This is Ping's middle-earth iron. Has a range of both steel and graphite shafts available. They ended up on my short list when I got new irons.
  • Ping i210. Billed as either Players or Players Distance, these are very smooth and friendly irons. I could launch with lighter shafts, although not as far as some irons. Again, a range of both steel and graphite shafts.

In Callawayland, I had two head-to-head tests of  standard Mavrik and Mavrik MAX.

• Mavrik MAX (see below). Flew every bit as well as Apex DCBs, and $400 cheaper. Although the MAX lofts were three degrees higher than standard Mavs, I was about a full club longer. Head designs are really different. Make sure you don't get a shaft that's too light.
  • Standard Mavrik. Has stronger lofts and some people find them a bit hard to launch. A younger, stronger guy I play with thinks base Mavs are great.

Note: Mavrik line appears to be phasing out. May have to dip into Callaway pre-owned if interested. (Means you can't get a direct fitting).

And, remember Law No. 1 of GolfWRX: Get fitted! You have faithfully used the DCI 762 for up to two decades, so it is time to refit. You deserve to get a fitting and find what you need for the next 20 years. 👍 

Just to let you know I really appreciate responses like these and others in this thread as opposed to the sarcastic ruder ones aka the folks you hope to never actually run into on a golf course.  But what would be your response to a video like this who claims fitting is overrated?  

6 hours ago, 'Noles2013 said:

Just to let you know I really appreciate responses like these and others in this thread as opposed to the sarcastic ruder ones aka the folks you hope to never actually run into on a golf course.  But what would be your response to a video like this who claims fitting is overrated?  

I agree that for a majority of casual golfers, a fitting will likely do very little unless you require custom length due to height. Your swing isn't consistent enough to get the full benefits of any club unless you are at least a little serious about it 

I still plan on doing a fitting eventually, but only once my game has stabilized and a club adjustment is the next logical step. But I need to find a good fitter that has more than 3 lefty 6 irons to hit 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

9 hours ago, 'Noles2013 said:

Just to let you know I really appreciate responses like these and others in this thread.... But what would be your response to a video like this (Rick Shiels pod)... who claims fitting is overrated?

I would respond to Rick's guest much as I did to our GolfWRX bro, lefthack:

3 hours ago, lefthack said:

I agree that for a majority of casual golfers, a fitting will likely do very little unless you require custom length due to height. Your swing isn't consistent enough to get the full benefits of any club unless you are at least a little serious about it 

Depends on how you define casual golfers. If it's someone who just goes out with friends for the social aspect, and never practices, maybe social golfer is a more accurate term?

... due to height...    Even a basic fitting considers more than height. Lie angle of head.. too upright means misses left, too flat means misses right. // Proportion of arm length to leg length comes into play. // Shaft weight and stiffness. If a 140-pound guy gets a set of irons with 133-gram DG X7 shafts, he may have trouble launching the ball. // And grip thickness. My brother got fitted for some legacy Ping G30 irons, and he was pretty much average-average on the metrics... except... he needed jumbo grips. Suddenly, he's not spraying his iron shots all over creation.

And, there's different grades of fittings. There are full-bag fittings - often half-day sessions  spread over multiple days. These help you fine-tune your game so you can be a single-digit HDCP or better.

Then, there are static fittings which take about a half hour for say a set of irons. Static fittings check shaft length, lie angle, shaft weight and grip. Static helps ensure you get clubs that won't hurt your game. 

Edited by ChipNRun
Added topper quote and line to answer Noles also..

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

10 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Depends on how you define casual golfers. If it's someone who just goes out with friends for the social aspect, and never practices, maybe social golfer is a more accurate term?

... due to height...    Even a basic fitting considers more than height. Lie angle of head.. too upright means misses left, too flat means misses right. // Proportion of arm length to leg length comes into play. // Shaft weight and stiffness. If a 140-pound guy gets a set of irons with 133-gram DG X7 shafts, he may have trouble launching the ball. // And grip thickness. My brother got fitted for some legacy Ping G30 irons, and he was pretty much average-average on the metrics... except... he needed jumbo grips. Suddenly, he's not spraying his iron shots all over creation.

And, there's different grades of fittings. There are full-bag fittings - often half-day sessions  spread over multiple days. These help you fine-tune your game so you can be a single-digit HDCP or better.

Then, there are static fittings which take about a half hour for say a set of irons. Static fittings check shaft length, lie angle, shaft weight and grip. Static helps ensure you get clubs that won't hurt your game. 

I guess I'm just weird. If you hand me a club (lefty) I could get a pretty good hit out of it in a few swings. But I'm changing my swing to fit the club  Does that make it a good club for me? Probably not. So then what IS a good club for me?

The clubs in my bag are clubs I like looking at and that's about it. Maybe once I do a fitting, that will change. But again, finding a fitter with a solid selection of lefties is half the battle. I'm 6'4" with large hands and seem to play well with standard graphite length and standard grip. But maybe a fitter will show me different. 

I will call around next spring and see if I can find someone who does lefties. I wasn't impressed the last time I checked. There's only so much you can get from a 6 iron 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

23 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I will call around next spring and see if I can find someone who does lefties. I wasn't impressed the last time I checked. There's only so much you can get from a 6 iron 

You are a special case, someone who would benefit from a proper fitting. I would suggest you contact customer service at a couple of your favorite club manufacturers. Tell them you are a lefty, and see if a demo day (remember those?) is coming to a place near you. Or, you might find a regional fitting center that would let you come in and try multiple shafts and heads. But, that depends on your location, and how much they would charge for such an encounter.

If you know any college golf coaches, ask them if they know a work-around for your situation. Lots of college players need unusual solutions to max out.

• Thanks 1

Ψ  Backups: