Scotland Golf Trip (Bag Setup)

TarHeelGolfer2325

So I just paid my deposit for a long awaited 7 day golf trip to Scotland in June 2023. Yes...I know it is a ways off but I was wanting some feedback from people who have played/live across the pond. Any advice on bag setup would be great. I know the turf, weather conditions, and types of shots are different that what I play on the east coast of the US. Here are some examples of questions that have came across my mind. These might help guide you on some answers and dialogue. 

Would you have changed anything with your wedge setup? Change the bounce? Use 3 wedges instead of 4 and add an extra long iron/club? What wedge loft really doesnt help on true links? What were the most important clubs in the bag to work on? What type of ball (characteristics) did you use and would you have changed to lower/higher spinning? 

As a typical GolfWRXer, I have too many options to choose from with my driving irons, wedges, adjustable woods and shaft options. My wedge setup right now is 46, 50, 54 and 58/60. I hope to hear your experiences and also learn from your mistakes! lol 

The courses on the itinerary are Muirfield, Carnoustie, Old and New Course and going to find a gem on an off day. Thanks!

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth+ 9.0* | GD Tour ADHD 6X

Taylormade Stealth+ 15* | GD Tour ADHD 7X

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 19* | Ventus Blue 9TX

Miura TC-201  4-PW  | MMT 105 S

Miura 50* Raw  | BGT ZNE 115g

National Custom Works  Jeff McCoy 54 | DG TI S400

Taylormade MG Hi-Toe Raw 58  | KBS Hi Rev 115

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 STR | Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2021

Taylormade TP5X 2021

doesnt really matter, when its no wind, just play it like normal, your high fly will be fine, when the wind is up, a low trajectory wood will be much easier than driver, 

try use more putter than wedge from fairway, coz your wedge wont stop anyway, i did enjoy a HIO drink from someone holed it by putter in a windy october.  but u do need high loft wedge for those rough and bunker

PXG 0211 9.5 px 5,5 black

PXG 0341 16 evenflow 5.5

Callaway steelhead iii 5w & 7w px 5.5 blue

Mizuno JPX900 forged modus105s 1 upright

Mizuno S18 50 & 55 

Mizuno T7 60 lob wedge

Odyessey No.7 

If you’re playing the old course learn to chip with a 7/8 iron. Those greens are double greens and you can be left with some enormous putts/chips. Unless it’s downwind keep it low for links golf.

Main thing is to enjoy it. I was lucky enough to live in St Andrews for a while and the New Course was my favourite, even above the Old Course. If you want a challenge play the Jubilee on a windy day. That course is brutal!

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Easy, don't overthink it. Your not coming over here to win an Open Championship. Just bring your sticks and have fun.

Without being disrespectful - Morikawa noticed his irons didnt go through the turf the same way as he is used to, and changed it up between the Scottish and the Open. You don't need to worry about that. The majority of GolfWRXers are not Morikawa even if we think we are.

Contrary to what you may have read, you can still hit a 60degree wedge if you really need to. The main difference you are going to see will be dependant on the conditions on the day and the previous 3 weeks. In June you could well be landing full irons quite a bit short of the green on some holes and letting them work their way in.

• Like 1

Only thing i would probably change in my set up would be my 54* wedge, dont think i used it once (just played 5 rounds there last week) if i was just off the green i would putt, if i ended up further away i used my 50 to chip, or again even putted, my 54 wedge yardage is normally 95 yards, but i just felt more comfortable on links knocking down my 50 instead, even using it from 70 odd yards

A 220 yard driving iron would be a useful club on some of the short par 4's, especially if its windy, ive never used my 21* DHY so much than i did last week

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

I don't think I would change anything as I am just starting to get comfortable with it as a whole. I might choose different clubs for a shot, but it would be all the same clubs in my bag now.

I have thought about having clubs to swap out and I currently have a few. But if it isn't in my bag now, there is a reason. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I'd keep it pretty simple.  I found a long/driving iron very useful.  Took a reduced set and didn't really miss anything I left behind - part of the fun of links golf is the extra challenge of figuring out a trajectory, rollout, accounting for wind etc instead of just clubbing to a stock yardage.

As others have said you probably don't need to make too many changes to your setup for the trip. Learning a bump and run shot with a mid iron will serve you well, and a driving iron/utility is a good option to have.

All the courses you are planning to play are fantastic - Muirfield is my favourite track of all time, been lucky enough to spend 3 days playing the course. Stay for lunch if you can, it's magnificent too.

Some good options to play in the St Andrews area aside from the Old & New courses - Crail Golfing Society has two fine courses (Balcomie Links is my favourite). The two Fairmont courses are also worth a visit, as is the Dukes course. Anstruther is a 9-hole gem that you can play for 20 quid. Kingsbarns is nearby if you want to spend a bit more (quite a bit more!). Not played the Castle course at St Andrews but heard good things. Dumbarnie Links is on my radar for next year, as is Leven. Lundin Links is wonderful too.

In the Carnoustie area you have Monifeith, Montrose, Arbroath as well as the 3 courses at Carnoustie itself. Edzell is a good inland track. Lots of choice, there are others that I've missed for sure.

You may need to stay for more than one week haha   

Edited by Langlands
typo
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

If you’re playing the old course learn to chip with a 7/8 iron.

This is a great advise. When I played there (Old and New) I couldn't hit good chips approaches with the wedges (rented Callaway clubs, not mine). So i used irons to chip / bump'n run, or the old reliable Putter!

• Like 1

Oh and don’t be afraid to come out sideways or even backwards out the bunkers. Going for the green from a fairway bunker will just destroy your score unless you get lucky!

Taylormade TP5x

19 minutes ago, philly2kuk said:

Oh and don’t be afraid to come out sideways or even backwards out the bunkers. Going for the green from a fairway bunker will just destroy your score unless you get lucky!

In my only round in the Old Course, I didn't hit any of the 112 bunkers. Some were terrifying! The 17th "road hole" greenside bunker seems just impossible... I would've stayed there the rest of my round... LOL 

• Like 2

Don't go in the hell bunkers on the 9th 😂 you'll be in there for yonks. Love st Andrews, my wife went university there and it's a brilliant lively town full of history. Even if you're not into golf, it's just a wonderful place to wonder round and take in the history......also you can get some great deals on second hand stuff for great prices, don't even need to take your sticks 

I appreciate all the comments and advice on other courses in those areas. I would love to continue to hear more. I have a bad habit or bringing extra clubs on golf trips and switching up my bag too often...so I never get into a groove with one set. I'm trying to learn from that like most have said about bringing what you are used to and being creative from there. 

Comments on the type of sand on all those bunkers over there? High bounce on a high lofted is what is sounds like...(our group of guys are pretty competitive and I wanna tell them the opposite of everything I learn on here) 😉 

Taylormade TP5X 2021

1 hour ago, TarHeelGolfer2325 said:

I appreciate all the comments and advice on other courses in those areas. I would love to continue to hear more. I have a bad habit or bringing extra clubs on golf trips and switching up my bag too often...so I never get into a groove with one set. I'm trying to learn from that like most have said about bringing what you are used to and being creative from there. 

Comments on the type of sand on all those bunkers over there? High bounce on a high lofted is what is sounds like...(our group of guys are pretty competitive and I wanna tell them the opposite of everything I learn on here) 😉 

Depends on the bunker. As you would with parkland, moorland, etc. carry different bounces. I used 56.14 and 60.10/60.08 when I lived there and still use that combination to this day. As I said, sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and go out sideways - some of those bunkers have places where even a 64 wedge wouldn’t get you out.

You also have to drop a ball in hell bunker on 14 of the old course. You could put a house on that much land…..

Taylormade TP5x

18 hours ago, TarHeelGolfer2325 said:

So I just paid my deposit for a long awaited 7 day golf trip to Scotland in June 2023. Yes...I know it is a ways off but I was wanting some feedback from people who have played/live across the pond. Any advice on bag setup would be great. I know the turf, weather conditions, and types of shots are different that what I play on the east coast of the US. Here are some examples of questions that have came across my mind. These might help guide you on some answers and dialogue. 

Would you have changed anything with your wedge setup? Change the bounce? Use 3 wedges instead of 4 and add an extra long iron/club? What wedge loft really doesnt help on true links? What were the most important clubs in the bag to work on? What type of ball (characteristics) did you use and would you have changed to lower/higher spinning? 

As a typical GolfWRXer, I have too many options to choose from with my driving irons, wedges, adjustable woods and shaft options. My wedge setup right now is 46, 50, 54 and 58/60. I hope to hear your experiences and also learn from your mistakes! lol 

The courses on the itinerary are Muirfield, Carnoustie, Old and New Course and going to find a gem on an off day. Thanks!

I've been to Scotland many times. As far as wedges go, I would not change what you carry as far as the number of wedges and lofts. You will need to be able to hit those distances and have the options. I never really changed from my standard wedges and it cost me. I have Ping Tour S wedges that have a pretty agreesive heel and trailing edge relief. They were outstanding for any shots off the turf. The one area that i wish I had changed was bringing something with a wider sole and more bounce for the bunkers (aka Ping Eye 2 LW) the sand in the bunkers there is much heavier and denser to ours. I really struggled gauging how much softer and shorter the shots would come out. The soles of Tour S wedges would tend to dig and not go through the sand there as they do here. And not to boast, but my bunker game is very strong over here. I just got back from Ireland and obviously did not learn my lesson because I took the same wedges and had the same results. If I had to do it all again I would take the Eye 2 LW and use my normal sand and gap wedges.     

I would defintely work on or find a club that you can hit very low and carry around 200 yds. Whether that be a low lofted hybrid (as in my case) or a 2/3 iron it would be helpful. Accuracy off the tee is the key to playing well over there. Seeing that you are going in the summer a low tee shot that carries 200yds and lands in the fwy would easily roll another 20 -50 yds. Muirfield is a little on the tight side and Carnoustie is even tighter. The Old course you can literally hit it 50yds left on every hole and be fine, but don't miss it right. in fact the caddies have a saying about about the Old Course, "Left is right and right is Shite". The opposite is true for The New. You can hit it miles right but dont miss left. I am fortunate that I drive it straight and can handle the wind so I tend to play well over there. My buddies who hit it much further but not as straight tend to struggle.

The only other advice I can give you is practice hitting 3/4 and softer shots that don't spin as much. The more you can control your ball and spin the more fun you will have. It always amazes me seeing my buddies hit these full out shots that go way up in the air and spin like crazy. I've seen balls moved as much as 20- 40 yds in the wind. The lower you can hit and use the contours the better you will play. And last but not least, practice LONG putts. As in like 20-30yds. Many times you will be faced with situations where putting it from the fwys will be the easiest and best option. You will be amzed at howe big some of the greens are, especially at TOC. I believe its #5 is almost 38,000 square feet, and there are several of the double greens that are over 100yds wide with a couple being over 60 yds deep.

Enjoy planning for your trip, if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I've been to Scotland many times. As far as wedges go, I would not change what you carry as far as the number of wedges and lofts. You will need to be able to hit those distances and have the options. I never really changed from my standard wedges and it cost me. I have Ping Tour S wedges that have a pretty agreesive heel and trailing edge relief. They were outstanding for any shots off the turf. The one area that i wish I had changed was bringing something with a wider sole and more bounce for the bunkers (aka Ping Eye 2 LW) the sand in the bunkers there is much heavier and denser to ours. I really struggled gauging how much softer and shorter the shots would come out. The soles of Tour S wedges would tend to dig and not go through the sand there as they do here. And not to boast, but my bunker game is very strong over here. I just got back from Ireland and obviously did not learn my lesson because I took the same wedges and had the same results. If I had to do it all again I would take the Eye 2 LW and use my normal sand and gap wedges.     

I would defintely work on or find a club that you can hit very low and carry around 200 yds. Whether that be a low lofted hybrid (as in my case) or a 2/3 iron it would be helpful. Accuracy off the tee is the key to playing well over there. Seeing that you are going in the summer a low tee shot that carries 200yds and lands in the fwy would easily roll another 20 -50 yds. Muirfield is a little on the tight side and Carnoustie is even tighter. The Old course you can literally hit it 50yds left on every hole and be fine, but don't miss it right. in fact the caddies have a saying about about the Old Course, "Left is right and right is Shite". The opposite is true for The New. You can hit it miles right but dont miss left. I am fortunate that I drive it straight and can handle the wind so I tend to play well over there. My buddies who hit it much further but not as straight tend to struggle.

The only other advice I can give you is practice hitting 3/4 and softer shots that don't spin as much. The more you can control your ball and spin the more fun you will have. It always amazes me seeing my buddies hit these full out shots that go way up in the air and spin like crazy. I've seen balls moved as much as 20- 40 yds in the wind. The lower you can hit and use the contours the better you will play. And last but not least, practice LONG putts. As in like 20-30yds. Many times you will be faced with situations where putting it from the fwys will be the easiest and best option. You will be amzed at howe big some of the greens are, especially at TOC. I believe its #5 is almost 38,000 square feet, and there are several of the double greens that are over 100yds wide with a couple being over 60 yds deep.

Enjoy planning for your trip, if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. 

Much appreciate. Tons of great information you gave! 

• Like 1

Taylormade TP5X 2021

48 minutes ago, TarHeelGolfer2325 said:

Much appreciate. Tons of great information you gave! 

Of course, you have the other option which I didn’t do. Just don’t hit it in any bunkers…… 😉

• Haha 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Other advice is play the lesser known courses if you can, if your up narin or Elgin there's some unbelievable course in each small village. The cost of a green fee is very good, and some of the views and courses are stunning. Sterling is a must if in the area to, one of the finest courses you'll ever play and the location around the castle is fantastic....enjoy Scotland

Put Panmure on your list, it's just before you reach Carnoustie. Don't know if he's still there but there was a real links, fine grass man in charge and he loves to get those greens dried out. If it's dry, plan on a 4ft high bounce from your 9 iron. Just so much great golf around this area. Scotscraig was an open qualifier along with Ladybank, both near St Andrews.

I would highly recommend the Kittocks course at the Fairmont. Very short drive from St. Andrews. Amazing views of the town. And they have buggies (carts). It's a great course to get in a second 18 on any given day. 

The only bag change to consider is I normally drop my four hybrid in exchange for a four iron. Here I like the added height of the hybrid, but a long straight low iron shot comes in very handy in Scotland. 

On 10/28/2021 at 9:34 AM, scruffynick said:

Don't go in the hell bunkers on the 9th 😂 you'll be in there for yonks. Love st Andrews, my wife went university there and it's a brilliant lively town full of history. Even if you're not into golf, it's just a wonderful place to wonder round and take in the history......also you can get some great deals on second hand stuff for great prices, don't even need to take your sticks 

Or do go in the bunker. There is kind a few good scenarios.

1. You play really well and shoot a memorable score avoiding trouble 

2. You play really well and hit great memorable shots out of the trouble

3. You don't play really well but you hit memorable shots (including that time you could not get out of a famous bunker)

At the end of the day when I play at the famous courses, I look at getting in trouble a great opportunity to do something memorable. 

I agree- love the town and you will have allot fun if you let yourself. 

Edited by 2bGood

3 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Or do go in the bunker. There is kind a few good scenarios.

1. You play really well and shoot a memorable score avoiding trouble 

2. You play really well and hit great memorable shots out of the trouble

3. You don't play really well but you hit memorable shots (including that time you could not get out of a famous bunker)

At the end of the day when I play at the famous courses, I look at getting in trouble a great opportunity to do something memorable. 

I agree- love the town and you will have allot fun if you let yourself. 

Its a great place in the Christmas run up, was much younger in those days but I had some great nights out just before Christmas in St Andrews. Great memories....or lack of if you know what I mean 😉

Just a thought? If you aren't going until 2023, take a couple of mini-vacations in 2022 ... in the US. There's actually some great, tough links courses in America - fairways full of rolling hills, high grasses, pot bunkers & etc.

There has been some great advice in this thread. But nothing really beats getting accustomed to links golf by playing it. It really is quite different, but not just the shots themselves. Course management, the entire way you think about your strategy for any given hole is different. 

PS. Only saying this because if you are playing with really competitive friends that haven't played much (or at all) in the EU, secretly playing three or four rounds next year on links courses will give you a real leg up. You'll probably wind up taking the right club selection to Scotland, and already know how to think your way around courses. Of course, that would be really unfair to them ... 😎

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

6 hours ago, scruffynick said:

Its a great place in the Christmas run up, was much younger in those days but I had some great nights out just before Christmas in St Andrews. Great memories....or lack of if you know what I mean 😉

There are many great nights of my life that I can't remember and I will never forget.

Edited by 2bGood

I recently went to Ireland. I went pw, 52,58, which was a good ideal...

my 5 wood was completely useless. I play a spinny 5w with a BB 103 gram shaft. 

my 3w and 3i were useful. 

I would have gone D, 14* wood, 17* hybrid, 3i-pw, 52 and 58. 

They have a lovely way of thinking about golf and life. If I had a hybrid into a par 4 back home, I’d be disappointed, but over the pond, it’s just part of the experience. Enjoy it. 8 irons landing 30 yards short of the green and running on. The whole think is awesome. 

My humble experience from links golf are two rounds on a trip to Ireland a few year back. Deep bunkers with heavy sand made my Vokey 58/08 useless. Hard dry greens combined with strong wind did not call for high approach shots, instead bump and runs where more usefull and low pitch shots. Also more putting from outside the green made life easier. Summit up, keep the golfball on or as close to the ground as possible and you will be happy. Also, do not forget waterproof clothing…

Edited by harlequine

The myth that links courses are a completely different form of Golf is long gone. The courses you are playing will be immaculately conditioned and the greens will hold a well struck shot. The two things to practice are flighting your iron shots a bit flatter and getting out of steep faced bunkers (there is no shame in going sideways or backwards). Bring comfortable shoes as if the ground is firm your feet will ache. Texas wedge is an option if there are no bunkers in the way. The one tip that you must follow is if you are in  gorse or heather take your medicine and hack out sideways. 

If you give enough notice I imagine a few WRX members would be happy to meet up for a chat and the occasional beer. Slainte. 

Edited by elwhippy

Hmmm interesting.

Well I have moved back to Scotland from Texas. My golf bag has the same setup. Only thing I am changing and hoping to get in the next couple of weeks(Ping i59 deliveries!!!!) is a 3 iron instead of a 2 iron, for me I want the 3 iron to go a certain distance and I feel my 2 iron is a little jumpy and goes too far a few times to make it useful. The rest of the details are in my signature. 

The biggest differences I noticed after getting used to Texas golf and back to Links - 

Chipping - the ball bounced then bounced and then spun, such a difference to Texas where it just stopped.

Greens - I am lucky my home course has had amazing greens and yes slightly slower but just as good. My home course in Houston was Memorial Golf club where the Houston Open is now and the greens there are so good and hard. 

Off the tee - I was over thinking things with not enough drivers compared to Texas, I am very rarely using my 3 wood but again I only really used my 3 wood for second shots in Texas. I think I will hit driver more in the future here and not over use my driving iron.

Irons - no difference, yes the turf is entirely different but you hit the ball first, my blueprints seem great off any turf for me.

Bunkers - they are penal, avoid them but the biggest thing I noticed is there is the sand is so different, my sand wedge bounces less in Scotland compared to Texas, I just adapted and now back to normal bunkers for me. 

Links golf; yes you have to adapt to the wind, yes you putt from off the greens but to me that's just golf, get the ball in the hole and don't over think things. You have to be much straighter off the tee than I was used to in Texas, rough is much more penal here; If I am good off the tee then I score well, poor off the tee and I am terrible, right now my chipping is the only thing I have been good at. 

St Andrews to me is such a cool place; I have just spent a lot of money purchasing a place there for short term rentals and now spending lots of money to get it up to being a great place to stay. There are so many good courses around Scotland but that can be said about most places, I am a golf snob but I am so lucky to be a member of an amazing golf course. 

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217