2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby 2022

Millhill88

2 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

My understanding from folks "in the know" is that the TS4 will be a one piece forging.  Not sure about tungsten weighting.

I actually hope that it's just a simple construction. For my own selfish reasons of course! 😋 In 2022 I really wanted to go to a more simple and pure style club. I know it might seem counter intuitive but my game has improved quite a bit over the past year. I think I might be ready for the next level and have really wanted to delve into the true players MB/CB iron. I've been hoping that Maltby might finally decide to put their hat in the ring for a true blade style club and this actually looks like it could be it.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VicBC said:

Britt added a few more comments on the Maltby site, including:

"TS3 will stand on it’s own, not really a replacement for the PTM, but will have similar playability. It is a progressive cavity with a different profile than the PTM. The sole on the TS4 is cambered similar to the TS1 and 2. Spec loft on the #6 iron for the TS4 will be 29.5 deg. There will be a slight progressive offset with a little more in the long irons to less in the short irons. Leading and trailing edges will be radiused. Thanks for the comments and encouragement. We are pumped about these new models. Now we just have to get them done and on the way."

"Badge is staying chrome."

Good lord.... TS4 being a solid forged blade but the 4 way radius sole of the TS-1 TS-2... Hell Yah. I absolutely loved the MMB-17 but that shafp leading edge made an iron I could only play on elite turf. 

Making a turf friendly Blade... OMG!!!. 

I REALLY hope the lofts will be blended set friendly. TS3-TS4..

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 7:27 AM, wcbjr said:

Maltby iron/wedge heads usually accept .355" and .370" shafts.  But I have found personally that I need to use collared ferrules to keep the shaft aligned if I use .355" shafts.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts-1-forged-iron-heads/p/ma0293/

ahh. Thank you. That makes sense

27 minutes ago, N2N2 said:

Agree.  I'm still playing TS1's with 110 Recoils.  Definitely looking forward to testing out the TS4's.

Now I have to re-convince the "boss" that I need yet another set of irons and that the TS4's are to be my final set for the next few years.. I just went through all of that with these before I even knew anything of the TS4's. Looks like I've got some serious negotiating to do. 

1210211346.jpg.1522e30876bdff74fd9ca3744f7207ec.jpg

1217211331.jpg.4f078dc3b91a1de375f3bd5d898c870f.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AZstu324 said:

Now I have to re-convince the "boss" that I need yet another set of irons and that the TS4's are to be my final set for the next few years.. I just went through all of that with these before I even knew anything of the TS4's. Looks like I've got some serious negotiating to do. 

1210211346.jpg.1522e30876bdff74fd9ca3744f7207ec.jpg

1217211331.jpg.4f078dc3b91a1de375f3bd5d898c870f.jpg

Good luck with the negotiations! My wife has given me the pass to buy new stuff and told me not to sell the old stuff because I always end up regretting what I sold. I know I have re-bought some sets over time, and have done that with putters as well.

That's my vice though, no kids and got her hooked on the game as well.

Those ERG's look nice.

• Like 1

Something I’m confused about is where the TS-3 fits into the mix. The TS-2 is the hollow, most offset, perimeter weighted model. The TS-1 is the hollow bodied players distance model. And the TS-4 is the one piece forged blade. I’m assuming the TS-3 falls somewhere between the TS-1 and TS-2 in terms of playability in that it will likely be a forged progressive cavity design. 

That being said, doesn’t that seem a bit redundant to anyone else? If you are looking for more forgiveness over the TS-1, why not just go for the TS-2? Additionally I would imagine the MPF ratings for the TS-1/2/3 are virtually identical. 

The only thing I can think of is that Britt and company realized that the TS-1 and TS-2 aren’t easily combo’d without doing some significant bending thru the sets. If the lofts are closer, the TS-3 would mitigate this and allow for a better flow between head designs. But a whole new iron design to achieve this feels like a lot. 

Don’t get me wrong. Everything in the TS line is absolutely gorgeous so I’m not complaining. I’m simply wondering if anyone knows what advantages the TS-3 will offer in terms of playability and fitting. 

31 minutes ago, Rodrig13 said:

Something I’m confused about is where the TS-3 fits into the mix. The TS-2 is the hollow, most offset, perimeter weighted model. The TS-1 is the hollow bodied players distance model. And the TS-4 is the one piece forged blade. I’m assuming the TS-3 falls somewhere between the TS-1 and TS-2 in terms of playability in that it will likely be a forged progressive cavity design. 

That being said, doesn’t that seem a bit redundant to anyone else? If you are looking for more forgiveness over the TS-1, why not just go for the TS-2? Additionally I would imagine the MPF ratings for the TS-1/2/3 are virtually identical. 

The only thing I can think of is that Britt and company realized that the TS-1 and TS-2 aren’t easily combo’d without doing some significant bending thru the sets. If the lofts are closer, the TS-3 would mitigate this and allow for a better flow between head designs. But a whole new iron design to achieve this feels like a lot. 

Don’t get me wrong. Everything in the TS line is absolutely gorgeous so I’m not complaining. I’m simply wondering if anyone knows what advantages the TS-3 will offer in terms of playability and fitting. 

Seems like TS-3 would fit between the TS-4 and TS-1.  More traditional cavity back with some more “forgiveness” than the muscleback.  If you need the help of a foam-filled hollow iron for more ball-speed move to TS-1. Then move to TS-2 if you’d like lower lofts and a bit bigger head.

On 12/23/2021 at 1:23 PM, CUBuffaloes said:

I hope the final products look like that with no colors on the Maltby badge. I've been painting over the badges on my TS1 because I like a cleaner look.

IMG_3850.JPG.2c4fb92abbf950a8c6a05303fb06525e.JPG

That TS4 looks amazing.

I'm not knocking people who play Maltby but I wonder if they would sell more if they left the TS4 unbranded.

• Like 1

I just knocked the red off with a scotch brite pad and a little lacquer thinner. Was going to take all the color off, but I stopped because I liked how it looked with just no red. Still trying to decide the best way to do something similar to my TS2s. Has anyone tried just removing the badge, and if so care to share a pic?  IMO, I think they would look better if the "M" symbol was replace with the end mill shape like on the newer Maltby putters. 

20211229_175412.jpg

20211229_175154.jpg

20211229_211158.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AKA_Double J said:

I just knocked the red off with a scotch brite pad and a little lacquer thinner. Was going to take all the color off, but I stopped because I liked how it looked with just no red. Still trying to decide the best way to do something similar to my TS2s. Has anyone tried just removing the badge, and if so care to share a pic?  IMO, I think they would look better if the "M" symbol was replace with the end mill shape like on the newer Maltby putters. 

20211229_175412.jpg

20211229_175154.jpg

20211229_211158.jpg

Looks great without the red.

2 hours ago, AKA_Double J said:

20211229_175412.jpg

20211229_175154.jpg

20211229_211158.jpg

I like the M. Looks cool, even better without the red. Nice touch!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

17 hours ago, AKA_Double J said:

20211229_175412.jpg

20211229_175154.jpg

20211229_211158.jpg

If you remove the badge on a TS-2 you expose the hole that the urethane is injected into. Doesn't look very good and actually puffs out a little. The urethane is fairly squishy.  Somewhere in this thread is a photo of a badge I pulled off. 

Also.. someone on here has lightly scuffed off all the paint on the TS-2 cavity badge and it looked awesome. A touch of acetone and a steel wool pad should make short work of it. 

On 12/29/2021 at 11:00 AM, PhlashPhace said:

I'm not knocking people who play Maltby but I wonder if they would sell more if they left the TS4 unbranded.

To add to this.. I think people don't understand someone who will play a Maltby.. the same way someone can't understand why someone will pay a fortune for a New PXG set. 

It's just on different spectrums. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

If people are ashamed to play a Maltby head... then I don't know what to say. If you hit ANY of the new offerings against ANY AND I MEAN ANY OEM head you will give away nothing in performance. 

The old argument is that if you buy a $500 set of Maltby irons then the resale is really low. BUT.. if you buy a $1400 OEM set they depreciate at the same rate just on a different scale, sometimes worse... so you still have spent Way less money. 

Most people who try a Matby iron make them their next purchase. Few if any Maltby player I have ever met will hide the fact that thier heads say Maltby. If people can't understand the value and quality of a Maltby head then it's their loss. 

I take money on the course from people with fancy OEM gear on a very regular basis. 

I'm also the only player out of 66 people in my simulator league who plays at a plus cap. Matby irons do just fine being stamped Maltby. 

Just don't understand why anyone would be concerned one way or the other what brand they or others have in their bag.

But based on 1st hand experiences and what I read on various forums, I know these people are out there.

Just comical, imho.

• Like 3

15 hcp

1 hour ago, propman said:

Yeah those look great.  Shaping up to have a lot of Maltby in the bag late 2022! Already have some but '22s stuff is right up my alley.   The new KE4tc pro driver,  TS3s, and max wedges! Yes, please!  Hoping to see an adjustable hosel fairway wood/utility wood from them too.

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @9.5* w/Maltby MPF DR (S) 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @14.5* w/UST ProForce V2 75R 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @19* w/UST ProForce V2 75R

PXG 0317X Proto @22* w/MMT 80S

Maltby TE+ 5-6  w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Maltby TS4 7-G w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Mizuno T24 56/60 DG S400

*The putter committee*

13 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

If people are ashamed to play a Maltby head... then I don't know what to say. If you hit ANY of the new offerings against ANY AND I MEAN ANY OEM head you will give away nothing in performance. 

The old argument is that if you buy a $500 set of Maltby irons then the resale is really low. BUT.. if you buy a $1400 OEM set they depreciate at the same rate just on a different scale, sometimes worse... so you still have spent Way less money. 

Most people who try a Matby iron make them their next purchase. Few if any Maltby player I have ever met will hide the fact that thier heads say Maltby. If people can't understand the value and quality of a Maltby head then it's their loss. 

I take money on the course from people with fancy OEM gear on a very regular basis. 

I'm also the only player out of 66 people in my simulator league who plays at a plus cap. Matby irons do just fine being stamped Maltby. 

One of the top 5 most knowlegable people in golf equipment

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love my TE Forged. I have learned the game and grown into them the last few years. The image of the TS3 is peaking my interest. Anyone know how the upcoming TS3 will compare to the TE-forged in terms of turf interaction, forgiveness, offset and lofts? The TE has traditional lofts. Will the TS3 have modern lofts?

I am also hoping the TS3 fits nicely between the current 1 and 2. I was on the fence for the 7 iron on my TS1/2 combo set. Ended up going with the TS1 because it was easier to bend them all for 4° gaps that way. I did end up with a bit of a distance gap between 6 and 7 though.  Im sure part of that is because the TS2 is just so easy to hit well. The top line and offset difference is also pretty extreme when going from one to the other.  I will get a TS3 seven if it seems to make sense at all.