2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Malaska’s thoughts on grip - eliminate clubface rotation

reefrash1043

The more I watch Mike Malaska’s stuff, the better I have been striking the ball. He promotes a strong grip, as seen in this video. I’ve used this grip the past few rounds and it has been a game changer. Really eliminates clubface rotation. Just wanted to put this here and hear everyone’s thoughts. 

• Like 2

I had a buddy that played with this same grip.

He was a great driver of the ball - hit nice straight and high fairway woods 

and iron shots, But I would play him even for whatever he wanted.

Down the stretch, with the pressure on, 2 pars 5’s in last 3 holes,

he’d have a great round going and Shank his 80-110 wedge shot every time. 🤑

14 hours ago, indianwoodpro said:

I had a buddy that played with this same grip.

He was a great driver of the ball - hit nice straight and high fairway woods 

and iron shots, But I would play him even for whatever he wanted.

Down the stretch, with the pressure on, 2 pars 5’s in last 3 holes,

he’d have a great round going and Shank his 80-110 wedge shot every time. 🤑

Funny enough I just swapped over to the malaska grip 2 weeks ago just for giggles…I have never had a problem with shanks but I’m shanking wedges. I’ve only played 1 round so far but I shanked 3 wedges during that round..I’ll have to find out why that is and fix that asap

16 minutes ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

He's basically saying his good friend Jack Nicklaus was wrong all those years while winning 20 majors.

To be fair, there's a ton of instruction/theories from the "good ole days" that have been debunked by science and analytics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

7 hours ago, airjammer said:

Funny enough I just swapped over to the malaska grip 2 weeks ago just for giggles…I have never had a problem with shanks but I’m shanking wedges. I’ve only played 1 round so far but I shanked 3 wedges during that round..I’ll have to find out why that is and fix that asap

Very interesting - I’m a PGA Professional - 60 years old and honestly never really thought about my Buddy’s problem (40 years ago - we both went to college and he moved to Florida I stayed in Michigan) until I saw this post and picture of the grip. 
But I knew that his strong grip was why he shanked his wedges - somehow 

the release was different with this heavier / shorter club.

After reading your reply I had to grab a wedge with this strong grip and take  few swings into an impact bag - I found that my club face did not return to a square position - actually about 20 degrees open.

This would be consistent with the type of shank he it - never low and right 

But always a higher - flighted shank. 
So, my professional assessment is that on full shots the rotation of the body’s core both on the backswing and downswing is greater. This greater rotation is what allows the club face to “square up” 

On Wedge shots - rotation can become smaller going back and even smaller going thru - Leaving the face in this open position.

Good Luck! - keep me posted 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

To be fair, there's a ton of instruction/theories from the "good ole days" that have been debunked by science and analytics.

What did Mike Malaska debunk in this video? Whenever I see people messing about with their grip with the club soled on the ground is asking for trouble.

I'm neutral on grip but have it is very much in the fingers. One of Malaska's teachings is keeping the wrist to swing relationship stable. I used this yesterday on the fly, during a round and hit a bunch more solid shots. Seems I've been using too much or the wrong kind of forearm rotations. Found his view on this to be pretty beneficial to me. Koepka basically swings with same intent too.

I've been playing this grip for several years. Shanks show up when your right hand gets over-active (RH golfer). With this grip, your right hand is almost passive and only does a mild rock-skipping-throw motion into impact. I played most of my life with a much weaker grip and always had to roll my right hand through or suffer a slice. periodically, this "old" motion will creep back in and cause problems.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

50 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I've been playing this grip for several years. Shanks show up when your right hand gets over-active (RH golfer). With this grip, your right hand is almost passive and only does a mild rock-skipping-throw motion into impact. I played most of my life with a much weaker grip and always had to roll my right hand through or suffer a slice. periodically, this "old" motion will creep back in and cause problems.

BT

Ha, been playing strong since I started. All I feel coming into impact is from my right hand and my miss is toe. 

There are guys on tour with strong grips, some (JD) stronger than others.  Yet, most tour players have a more neutral grip.  Weak grips are frowned upon, so they are not talked about, unless correction is involved.

The mistake many people make is listening to an instructor, yet that instructors' advice is contrary to the listener's natural contact to the club.  Example, a strong grip doesn't work for me.  It's not only uncomfortable, because of how my wrists naturally roll over during impact, using strong grip, my wrists are too quick to roll over causing snap hooks.  With a more neutral grip that doesn't happen.  I like what Malaska's does with her grip hand.  Basically, he's instructing similar to what Hogan shared in his book.

I learned golf using 3 books, one of them was Ben Hogan's 5 lessons.  In the beginning of the book Hogan talks about the back of the left hand facing the target when gripping the club at address = neutral.  I have a more neutral grip cause it fits how my arms hang, and wrists naturally align to gripping the club.  Stand up, let your arms hang straight down.  NOTE the angle your wrists/hand points, now stick a club in your hand and set the clubhead down behind the ball.  Your club face should be aligned to the target.  When I do this, the back of my hand faces towards the target and club face is properly aligned at the target.  

As a result of my grip, I hit the ball relatively straight, yet work the ball in both directions when needed.  😛  its the most consistent for me.  Your grip may be different, but it must be consistent.  One man's opinion. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

48 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

There are guys on tour with strong grips, some (JD) stronger than others.  Yet, most tour players have a more neutral grip.  Weak grips are frowned upon, so they are not talked about, unless correction is involved.

The mistake many people make is listening to an instructor, yet that instructors' advice is contrary to the listener's natural contact to the club.  Example, a strong grip doesn't work for me.  It's not only uncomfortable, because of how my wrists naturally roll over during impact, using strong grip, my wrists are too quick to roll over causing snap hooks.  With a more neutral grip that doesn't happen.  I like what Malaska's does with her grip hand.  Basically, he's instructing similar to what Hogan shared in his book.

I learned golf using 3 books, one of them was Ben Hogan's 5 lessons.  In the beginning of the book Hogan talks about the back of the left hand facing the target when gripping the club at address = neutral.  I have a more neutral grip cause it fits how my arms hang, and wrists naturally align to gripping the club.  Stand up, let your arms hang straight down.  NOTE the angle your wrists/hand points, now stick a club in your hand and set the clubhead down behind the ball.  Your club face should be aligned to the target.  When I do this, the back of my hand faces towards the target and club face is properly aligned at the target.  

As a result of my grip, I hit the ball relatively straight, yet work the ball in both directions when needed.  😛  its the most consistent for me.  Your grip may be different, but it must be consistent.  One man's opinion. 

Good post here from Mr Turbo. I was trying to play a stronger grip because that's what I thought better players do, but I was hitting everything left. I went to something more neutral and it just feels more natural for my swing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aramirez24 said:

Good post here from Mr Turbo. I was trying to play a stronger grip because that's what I thought better players do, but I was hitting everything left. I went to something more neutral and it just feels more natural for my swing. 

Another mistake people make is assuming to hit the ball far, a stronger grip is needed, so they mess with their grip.  From that point forward, they lose not only dispersion control but distance control, trying to hit the ball further.  Natural is important to consistently good golf.

There are a few reasons the ball goes hooky left...  A Pro buddy with high SS, playing Tour Issue X100 was having all sorts of issues with left side during pressure packed events.  He discovered the answer was to slow down his wrist roll by building up his grip with 10+ wraps which took left out of play. 

• Haha 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

20 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I do this same thing. Except the backs of my hands point out in front at about 50° angle. I posted the same as the bold above a few years ago and got flamed for it. LOL.

BT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I do this same thing. Except the backs of my hands point out in front at about 50° angle. I posted the same as the bold above a few years ago and got flamed for it. LOL.

BT

The problem is some people here make things more complicated than they need be, and they think their way is the only way. 

If perfectly neutral is at 12 o'clock ahead, my hands point slightly right or 1 o'clock   The idea behind letting one's arms hang to see where hands point, makes perfect sense.  This allows for variables of neutral from person to person. 

When I listened to Malaska and heard his explanation for why the uncomfortable regrip of her hands, Hogans grip lesson came to mind.  And Hogan's still works for me today.  When I stand behind the ball making my shot plan, I always let my arms hang, and I position my club in my hand, so the Reminder is in the fore finger and last 3-fingers of my left are the pressure points.  Where Malaska's grip differs is he has the club handle crossing the joints of all four fingers at the knuckles.  

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

19 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

The problem is some people here make things more complicated than they need be, and they think their way is the only way. 

If perfectly neutral is at 12 o'clock ahead, my hands point slightly right or 1 o'clock   The idea behind letting one's arms hang to see where hands point, makes perfect sense.  This allows for variables of neutral from person to person. 

When I listened to Malaska and heard his explanation for why the uncomfortable regrip of her hands, Hogans grip lesson came to mind.  And Hogan's still works for me today.  When I stand behind the ball making my shot plan, I always let my arms hang, and I position my club in my hand, so the Reminder is in the fore finger and last 3-fingers of my left are the pressure points.  Where Malaska's grip differs is he has the club handle crossing the joints of all four fingers at the knuckles.  

I hear mention of placing the club in the fingers all the time, but then they wrap their palm around the grip. I, OTOH, place the grip at an angle across my palm and then wrap my fingers around the grip. In the end, the grip is held the same way. Only the description of how the hands are placed varies. Like you, I have all pressure applied by the last three fingers against the heel of my hand with a short thumb. But I still "feel" like I'm holding it more in my palm than in my fingers.

BT

Edited by Ri_Redneck
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I hear mention of placing the club in the fingers all the time, but then they wrap their palm around the grip. I, OTOH, place the grip at an angle across my palm and then wrap my fingers around the grip. In the end, the grip is held the same way. Only the description of how the hands are placed varies. Like you, I have all pressure applied by the last three fingers against the heel of my hand with a short thumb. But I still "feel" like I'm holding it more in my palm than in my fingers.

BT

Yep, it allows for various 'neutral' grips because our hands hang differently.  I agree, it feels like its held in the palm, but in the book Hogan shows how when released the club remains set using pressure on the left-hand pad, and only index finger. 

B.Hogans Lesson 1, The Grip, page 21.  From an instructional standpoint, the pictures in my original 1957 book are pen/ink, but they are very clear, and the text is incredibly easy to follow.  It was my #1 book when I took up golf, 2nd was Nick Faldo's and 3rd was J.Nicklaus'. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

On 10/31/2021 at 6:45 PM, tthomasgolfer605 said:

He's basically saying his good friend Jack Nicklaus was wrong all those years while winning 20 majors.

Jack has hit millions of shots and grooved and owns his grip.  Are you gonna dare say Moe Norman shouldn't play his technique lol no he's grooved and owns his technique.

Who knows maybe Jack would have won more with a strong grip if he played one from the get go....

Follow the logic.  Mika Malaska and Shawn Clement explain very well why a strong grip is more natural and waaay more powerful.  Once I listened to and accepted that my body preferred a strong grip, that I figured out on my own not a teacher, that I used for all other sports like softball I quickly became a scratch golfer....

Can't figure how to like my own posts

13 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

Jack has hit millions of shots and grooved and owns his grip.  Are you gonna dare say Moe Norman shouldn't play his technique lol no he's grooved and owns his technique.

Who knows maybe Jack would have won more with a strong grip if he played one from the get go....

Follow the logic.  Mika Malaska and Shawn Clement explain very well why a strong grip is more natural and waaay more powerful.  Once I listened to and accepted that my body preferred a strong grip, that I figured out on my own not a teacher, that I used for all other sports like softball I quickly became a scratch golfer....

If I followed your logic, Paul Azinger should have won 25 majors and Tommy Two Gloves would be dominating the tour by now.  

• Thanks 1