Clubs were stolen - how would you rebuild your bag?

iutodd

My clubs were unfortunately stolen this weekend.  So I need...everything.

I'm just wondering how other golfers would try to rebuild their bags.  I feel like there are two main options:

1.) Remake the bag as close to what it was as possible - I got fit 2 years ago and was happy with everything.

2.) Go all in with another fitting and get something all new going.  I tend to buy used clubs and keep them for as long as possible because I'm cheap and I just don't have the desire to constantly chase new stuff.

I guess there is a third option:

I loved my irons - Srixon z745s with KBS 120s - I was working on turning them into a combo set with the 4/5 as a z5X5 instead of the Z7X5.  I feel like getting another iron set up like this is what I'm going to want to do either way.  Maybe I save my fitting just for my hyrbids/fairway/driver and wedges?

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Like 1

Boils down to budget... Did u have insurance or are u paying out of pocket.. If I am paying out of pocket I would probably replace what I had for irons and wedges and get fit for new stuff now.. Then watch for the sales when new gear is released in a few months 

Edited by Shushwap
  • Like 1

It depends on how well you hit what you had. A newer model doesn't mean it's an improvement for you. But if you were having issues and already thinking about a change (like the iron combo set you mentioned)  I'd do my due diligence and replace with what works better for my game

• Like 1

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           MCA Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           MCA Diamana X17 70X

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 19*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                  MCA MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101  7-P                                   MCA MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  52, 57, 60                MCA MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

2 hours ago, iutodd said:

Well, that sucks. Hopefully insurance would cover you.

I would actually replace everything as is.

The only exception would be the putter since the model I'm playing right now isn't available anymore. For that I'd probably get a Carbon custom that matches the specs of what I've got now.

• Like 1

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : KBS TD 70 Cat 3 / Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Nippon Modus 3 120-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Having just upgraded irons to the ZX5 I'd just replace those. Then add 50° CBX 2 wedge and 54° and 58° wedges with the latest model.

I'd then test the latest drivers to see which fits me best then add a 4 wood plus 19° and 22° hybrids.  

My putter is probably a model that is still available so I'd stick with that. So the latest and greatest woods and hybrids would be the main difference to my current set. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

2 hours ago, Volnut said:

Interested to read the replies. Regarding insurance, I have a $5k rider on my homeowners policy for my whole bag (counting the rangefinder, bag itself, etc) for ~$45/yr. No brainer, especially if you travel any. 

Depends on what your home owners insurance covers and how much was stolen.  But when I had a pile of clubs stolen from my car 6 or so years ago, total new replacement cost gave me over $9k.

Personally, everything hinges on how much insurance is going to cover.  As mentioned, replace irons, wedges and likely putter to the same as old, then maybe try out new woods and look for deals or BST stuff.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 9* AV Raw Blue 65TX

Titleist TSi2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Edel 4-GW Nippon SPB X SSx1

Edel 54/58 DG TI S400

SC PP Mid-Slant

Absolutely brutal man…very sorry to hear this!

I agree with others, would depend on how much if anything I’d be getting from insurance, and how much you have in the golfing budget if you weren’t covered.

If you’re getting a nice check, then get fit for the newest goodies, and if you’re not getting any money I’d replace the original clubs with the same ones if you liked them.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ (10.5*) / Hzrdus Red Smoke RDX 6.0

TaylorMade Stealth+ (15*) / Hzrdus Red Smoke RDX 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Max (19*) / Ventus Blue 7-S

Srixon ZX4 (21*) / UST Recoil ES 780 F4

Srixon ZX5 (5), ZX7 (6-AW) / Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 (56-SB & 60-LB) / Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 (36")

WITB on WRX

37 minutes ago, iutodd said:

Just to quickly respond - we won't trigger our insurance.  The deductible is way more than my clubs were worth.  I had almost all used clubs - like the Srixon hybrid I was playing cost $27.  And my Anser 4 wood was $40.  

As far as I know, it’s not what it cost you but what it would cost to replace it… it might be worth talking to your insurance agent about what the deductible is and what would be covered… but I could be wrong!

as far as building a new bag immediately with the information I have, I’d keep what I liked and build around that… I’d order my seemore again, but get the black one… I’d order new srixon zx5s… then I’d probably gap off of that and go get fit for woods and hybrids… pick up some new wedges too.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

It would suck to have an entire set of clubs stolen. That is brutal. If i was going to buy a new set i think I would start with where my last set was . I would ask myself what in my set did i like and what could have been better?

Easiest thing would be replace everything as is. I know I would just use to opportunity to start an all new bag adventure.  

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour 65R 44"

Cobra f7 15.5* Aldila NV 75R 42"

Cobra f6 baffler 19* Matrix Code-8 41.5"

Ping G25 23* Oban Devotion 85S

Ping G25 27* Diamana Fubuki 85S

Ping G25 31* Project X Even Flow Blue 85S

Ping g400 8-U AWT 2.0

Cleveland RTX-3 54*, 58*

Ping Karsten Series Craz-e 34"

Ping Hoofer Camo

1 hour ago, iutodd said:

Just to quickly respond - we won't trigger our insurance.  The deductible is way more than my clubs were worth.  I had almost all used clubs - like the Srixon hybrid I was playing cost $27.  And my Anser 4 wood was $40.  

Makes sense. Well, if you liked the Srixon Z745’s and were going to combo them with ZX5 4 and 5-irons, I’d pick up a demo sale or lightly used combo set of ZX5 4 and 5-irons and ZX7 6-PW and build around that…they’re spectacular!

Used wedges and the same Driver, Woods, and Hybrids that you had should be much cheaper now, and then spend whatever you feel comfortable with for a putter that you like….done! 😉

TaylorMade Stealth+ (10.5*) / Hzrdus Red Smoke RDX 6.0

TaylorMade Stealth+ (15*) / Hzrdus Red Smoke RDX 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Max (19*) / Ventus Blue 7-S

Srixon ZX4 (21*) / UST Recoil ES 780 F4

Srixon ZX5 (5), ZX7 (6-AW) / Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 (56-SB & 60-LB) / Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 (36")

WITB on WRX

I had my bag stolen years ago. 681’s, pt 15, Scottydale putter. I tried to rebuild exactly as it was, but it just wasn’t the same. Especially the irons and 3 wood. If my bag were stolen today. I probably still try to build it back the same. I’m stubborn like that.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

1 hour ago, Baitkiller said:

I'd just play my back up bag..

A year ago I thought a back-up bag made no sense. Then I bought a new set of irons. Then my buddy across country moved onto a golf course. Then I thought I would just keep the old irons and get new woods/putter. Then I ordered another set of irons/wedges. So now I have a back-up bag that will just live in AZ so it’s there when I go visit. 

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm having a lot of fun playing with my Sunday bag, 4I, 7I, AW, SW, and putter.  A lady commented today that she really liked my Sunday bag.

It had all the clubs I needed today.  Not only were my approach shots the right length, but I used my 4I to hit a low shot under a tree for an easy chip with the SW!

I've only played eight rounds of nine holes so I realized it would make sense to play fewer clubs to gain confidence in my shot making.

It is a real confidence builder to be able to chip and two putt with regularity.

Maybe assembling a Sunday bag of just a few clubs and taking your time with the rest of the clubs would be the best budget minded approach.

The Pandemic has caused a double whammy of increased demand and supply shortages.  

Edited by ShortGolfer

I would likely go with modern version of what I had. I know my specs from many fittings over the years - so I have a good idea of what going to work. I would try a few of everything before I pull the trigger, but more demo work than a fitting.

I have a had the same putter for 15+ years and I would not buy a new one. I have the same model already purchased as back up so I would put that into play. 

Sorry about that.  If you don't mind me asking, how was it stolen?  Did someone take your bag outside the proshop while you were paying your green fee or was your car broken in with your clubs there?

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Funny thing i to got robbed yesterday also. Had a new callaway uw sitting in my truck inside my garage that i sold on here. The little bastards broke my window out and took that club and 2 pistols that were going in for upgrades.

Never heard them thank god i didn't because i would probably sitting in a cell today..

• Sad 2

Sand traps suck

5 minutes ago, sittingbull said:

Funny thing i to got robbed yesterday also. Had a new callaway uw sitting in my truck inside my garage that i sold on here. The little bastards broke my window out and took that club and 2 pistols that were going in for upgrades.

Never heard them thank god i didn't because i would probably sitting in a cell today..

there's quite a bit to unpackage here but...why did you have 2 pistols just...sitting out? 

SiM2 / 9* / TZ6 65M5 tipped 1"

SiM2 Ti / 5w (set 1 tick lower loft) / TZ6 85M5 tipped 1"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

TI Apex TCB / 3-PW / Modus 130X

RTX Zipcore Black / 50,54,60 / KBS Tour X/S+

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"  & Spider EX Navy / 36"

19 hours ago, iutodd said:

I'm just wondering how other golfers would try to rebuild their bags.  I feel like there are two main options:

1.) Remake the bag as close to what it was as possible - I got fit 2 years ago and was happy with everything.

2.) Go all in with another fitting and get something all new going.  I tend to buy used clubs and keep them for as long as possible because I'm cheap and I just don't have the desire to constantly chase new stuff.

I guess there is a third option:

I loved my irons - Srixon z745s with KBS 120s - I was working on turning them into a combo set with the 4/5 as a z5X5 instead of the Z7X5.  I feel like getting another iron set up like this is what I'm going to want to do either way.  Maybe I save my fitting just for my hyrbids/fairway/driver and wedges?

Thanks for any thoughts.

A friend of mine had his whole bag stolen out of their garage when we were in high school. Fortunately, we lived in a smallish town where there may have been 5-6 pawn shops within a 50 mile radius. He filed a police report that day and then called each of the pawn shops and described the clubs to them so they could be on the lookout. Sure enough, about a week later the thief came into one to try and sell the bag. The pawn shop owner was smart enough to keep the guy there until the cops showed up and arrested him. My friend got his clubs back and all was good. 

That is my long winded story of saying that people who steal clubs usually aren't golfers and the only place they can think to unload them is at a pawn shop. Unless you live in a large area where there are dozens of pawn shops around it might be a good idea for you to do the same thing he did. You'd be surprised how often people try to sell stolen golf clubs there...

15 minutes ago, sittingbull said:

I just hope that those 2 guns aren't being used for something of a violent and illegal purpose.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

As I true deviant I would just use one of my 2 or 3 other complete bags! 

But seriously, that sucks. Just upgrade to the zx5/Zx7 combo for the irons. It’s pretty much common place for the new irons to be fully adopted, especially from previous Srixon users.

I personally wouldn’t go through another full fitting if everything was working great previously

TSI3 @ 8.5* - AV Raw White 2.0 Proto 75tx
G410 hybrid @ 16* - Hzdrus black 85x
Callaway Apex UT 20* - RIP 100x
Bridgestone J40DPC 3-P - PX 7.0
Sub70 54*/60* - S400

OG 1WS, Premier Soft 11s, Scotty Catalina 2

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

there's quite a bit to unpackage here but...why did you have 2 pistols just...sitting out? 

They were not just sitting out.The garage is attached to my house with the overhead door closed they broke a garage window to get in. Plus they were in a case like this but they pryed it open and both were unusable thats why i was taking them in

Screenshot_20211101-120010_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by sittingbull
  • Like 1

Sand traps suck

20 minutes ago, sittingbull said:

They were not just sitting out.The garage is attached to my house with the overhead door closed they broke a garage window to get in. Plus they were in a case like this but they pryed it open and both were unusable thats why i was taking them in

just food for thought going forward -- if you aren't using them ie within the confines of your home for self defense -- perhaps in an actual safe within the home is a better idea. 

SiM2 / 9* / TZ6 65M5 tipped 1"

SiM2 Ti / 5w (set 1 tick lower loft) / TZ6 85M5 tipped 1"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

TI Apex TCB / 3-PW / Modus 130X

RTX Zipcore Black / 50,54,60 / KBS Tour X/S+

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"  & Spider EX Navy / 36"

Bummer OP!  Some bad juju karma is coming someone's way for sure!!

20 hours ago, Volnut said:

Interested to read the replies. Regarding insurance, I have a $5k rider on my homeowners policy for my whole bag (counting the rangefinder, bag itself, etc) for ~$45/yr. No brainer, especially if you travel any. 

Is it specifically for your golf clubs?  Or just 'personal contents'?  Very curious because I've never heard of this before.  

Edited by Murdock

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

just food for thought going forward -- if you aren't using them ie within the confines of your home for self defense -- perhaps in an actual safe within the home is a better idea. 

I'm sure he had them in a safe.  He seemed to be a responsible gun owner, if he had them in a lock box in his truck tethered to his seat frame.  He said he had them in his truck to take them in to get repaired the next day (assuming the next day).  Probably had the Callaway in there to ship off since he sold it on here, he said.  

Either way, that's horrible that someone straight up broke into your garage like that!  Did they ransack the garage looking for other stuff?   Or just your truck?  Man....there's some slimy individuals out there these days.  

• Like 1