Ping Glide Wedge Eye 2 Users

JFM628

I have one that I just threw in the bag on a whim after I lost my Cleveland Zipcore.  I have a Vokey D grind on order, as I like more traditional shaped wedges.

Was previously using a T grind Vokey, which is basically opposite of the eye2 in every way.  It has a really large sole and high effective bounce.  It has some heel relief that lets you open it. It's a nice wedge and definitely better for me on my course than the Vokey T.

Pluses

- Out of the bunker, the Eye2 is basically cheating.  I can't imagine the Alien wedge is any easier

- Good with chips off of soft fairways

Downsides

- A little clunky if you are trying to hit off tight lies in firm conditions.

- The look takes getting used to.  It has a high toe, but another thing that's strange is the leading edge has a lot of curve to it.  I don't love that part of it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NoCalHack said:

strange is the leading edge has a lot of curve to it. 

This is all that needs to be said....specifically the grind and how that leading edge bulge sits dead flat

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I had the ping gorge wedges in 54 and 58 in standard sole configuration for a long time and went to the 54 SS and 58 eye 2 this summer. The 58 eye 2 is incredible around the green and out of the bunker. I actually find it easier to lay open on tight lies and nip it because of the grind. I find it great out of the rough and terrible lies around the green. 

Here is what I didn’t expect that has made me change my wedge play. Like the others have said because of that curved leading edge I find it very hard to make clean contact on a full wedge from the fairway for say a 70 to 80 yard shot. I hit it fat way too often and I’ve practiced it on the range and the results are never good enough to take to the course. So I use my 54 for those shots and only use the 58 around the green. The 58 SS in my old wedges I could square up for shots in the fairway from that yardage but I didn’t have the versatility around the green.

I watched a video about fitting vokey’s and all the different grind options and the fitter said you should only fit your lob wedge for around the green and use your lower lofted wedges from distance. I’ve always used the 58 for both until this summer and then just realized with the eye 2 grind it only works for me say 40 to 50 yards and closer. So I like the eye 2 grind but it changed the way I play my wedges and it’s probably the correct way to play them. I gained more options around the green but lost the longer fairway shots which is what the 54 Is supposed to do now. I hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you haven't used it before--as has been mentioned the look is quite different from a typical wedge, even in the Glide version which is a bit softened from the original Eye2 which looked even funkier

it sits very low to the ground with a sharp, curved leading edge. It can be a little intimidating if you tend to chunk your chip shots

On full swings i'm not a huge fan. Again because it really doesn't look like a typical club. When i use the Eye2 LW i normally use my 56 for anything outside like 30yds

As a multi-function chipping tool--It's outstanding, picking balls off hardpan, bunker play, versatile chip shots---It's a great club.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

15 minutes ago, wingz9 said:

I had the ping gorge wedges in 54 and 58 in standard sole configuration for a long time and went to the 54 SS and 58 eye 2 this summer. The 58 eye 2 is incredible around the green and out of the bunker. I actually find it easier to lay open on tight lies and nip it because of the grind. I find it great out of the rough and terrible lies around the green. 

Here is what I didn’t expect that has made me change my wedge play. Like the others have said because of that curved leading edge I find it very hard to make clean contact on a full wedge from the fairway for say a 70 to 80 yard shot. I hit it fat way too often and I’ve practiced it on the range and the results are never good enough to take to the course. So I use my 54 for those shots and only use the 58 around the green. The 58 SS in my old wedges I could square up for shots in the fairway from that yardage but I didn’t have the versatility around the green.

I watched a video about fitting vokey’s and all the different grind options and the fitter said you should only fit your lob wedge for around the green and use your lower lofted wedges from distance. I’ve always used the 58 for both until this summer and then just realized with the eye 2 grind it only works for me say 40 to 50 yards and closer. So I like the eye 2 grind but it changed the way I play my wedges and it’s probably the correct way to play them. I gained more options around the green but lost the longer fairway shots which is what the 54 Is supposed to do now. I hope that helps.

I agree.  I don't like the curved leading edge on full shots or even 40-50 yard shots off the fairway.  It may be psychological, but I don't like aiming a curved leading edge on longer shot.  

I don't find that the leading edge is too sharp and leads to chunked chips.  If you want to chunk chips, try a Vokey T.  You will chunk like a champ.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wingz9 said:

I have the SS in 52° and have the Eye2 grind for both 54° and 58°. Never had an issue around the greens with tight or firm lies. I tend to play the bounce on those shots but I’ll also tip it on the toe for little chip shots. 

I know it’s a wedge faux pas but I love using my 58° Eye 2 for full swings. When I’m 50 and 85 yards out I’ve got the half swing for 50 and full for 85. I’m not a heavy divot taker so maybe that’s why it works for me but it’s a very confidence inspiring club from those distances. 

• Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

I’ve used eye 2  wedges for years.  Around the greens, good lies, terrible lies, flop shots, runners, one hop and stop, anything. 

I hit a flop shot off a green last week when the curve of the green and pin placement made putting impossible.  Did not create a divot that required fixing.

Full shots off any lie are easy.

My first set of clubs were Ping Eye 2’s.   So I’ve never noticed the leading edge is curved.  

Current index 7.1 

Retired 

Ping devotee

• Like 2

I have Glide 3.0 in both 55* (56 bent strong) and 60*. I can hit both full swing with confidence, the 56 is for sand and most chipping (other than chip and run), the 60 is for lob situations. I swapped shafts to Recoil Proto Wedge as everything else is graphite. The head works for me visually and I can open it up a bit but typically use it square. I’ve had Fourteen forged, earlier Glides, Mizuno and some other >54* wedges, Eye2 work best for me by far.

if you can’t get past the look at address though, might be a non-starter.

Edited by nostatic
  • Like 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

I'm using a Glide 3.0 Eye2 in 58 to compliment the 53 WS (54 bent strong) and 46 SS.  The Eye2 is a surgeon's tool with a bit of familiarity and you can hit a lot of fun shots around the green.  I tend to play the ball slightly forward of center and try to use the bounce, so chunked shots haven't been an issue.

• Like 1

Have tried Glide Eye2 grind varieties multiple times at demo days (remember those?)

Great off zoysia, as you always have a smidgen of cushioning. Off bent grass, it can be a little testy if the lie is tight.

56* worked great out of bunkers, 58* a good LW consideration.

Similar to the Callaway MD.PM varieties which had concave U-grind sole. Glide Eye2 easier to control on distance on longer shots.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I never really got along with them, back when I played Eye2 irons I carried Cleveland 588 wedges.  I did use the original Glide Eye2 grind in the 58 for a spell.  While the sole on that club was pretty typical of the Eye2 the shape was much more pleasing to the eye.  For me these play low bounce unless you open up and use the concavee area of the sole, which is good in sand Great for flops as the heel is ground off, and more bounce towards the middle and toe area.  Full shots were always a bit funky, and I don't like to see offset when I am laying the blade open, it messes with me visually.  Also the shaft lean you get with the offset messes with me on square faced shots where I want a vertical shaft orientation.  

I honestly don't mind bigger chunkier irons, but I like my wedges more traditional.  

To me they have always been a love it or hate it wedge.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly