2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

Well, that was a bit disappointing. Liazza's by the Track is highly rated, but the creole gumbo left me wanting. Tasty with a peppery kick, but the roux was more of a broth. Roux should be thick, not runny. Wouldn't hurt to add 5 cents more of rice. Boo. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Well, that was a bit disappointing. Liazza's by the Track is highly rated, but the creole gumbo left me wanting. Tasty with a peppery kick, but the roux was more of a broth. Roux should be thick, not runny. Wouldn't hurt to add 5 cents more of rice. Boo. 

spacer.png

That’s not gumbo…. Way too runny and not brown, and not enough rice. It’s hard to find bad gumbo in NO, but you did it. Deanie’s in Bucktown was always my standby.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Time to revoke their Creole credentials.  Shameful!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Enjoyable morning. Well, except for the 15 minute rain shower. Ugh. Wanna get wet? Leave your rain gear in the car because there's only a 20 percent chance of passing rain. Pfffttt. Otherwise it was warm and rather humid. Good day for a walk. 

English Turn today. It's a Jack Nicklaus design, and ranks #3 on GolfWeek's Best in State list. Similar to Longwood, but a much better design. No surprise it was flat, but unlike yesterday's round the water was definitely in play. Excellent bunkering, including many long ones that fronted some of the ponds. Could use more left/right movement, but I thought it was a solid design. Not much in the way of trees. Homes surround the perimeter, but they're pretty good looking. 

Tough off the tee. Fairly generous fairways, but the bunkers and water were ever present. Big misses that weren't wet weren't overly penal with few trees and adjacent holes. Approaches were generally tough as well. Well protected greens with some fun shapes. Many were narrow or shallow, and should be attacked from the right part of the fairway. The par 5 11th was a good example. The layup area was split by a series of bunkers. The harder layup was to the right of but it gave a better approach that the left side with a look down the narrow green. Up and downs were tough due to the contours on the putting surface and the quick pace. Mounding around them was also good, so a few funky lies could be expected. Putting was also challenging. No crazy contours, but enough to keep one focused. Signature Jack. 

Par 3s were quite good. Plenty of trouble, but they could use a little more variety in length with only one long one. 5s were also very good. The short 15th is their signature hole with an island green. A decent drive allows one to go for it, but a watery grave awaits any miss. Short 4s were excellent. Not a ton of danger off the tee, but the greens were tiny and well guarded. 

Conditions were very good, although the brief rain did soften things somewhat. Overseeded fairways were very playable. Rough was cut very short. Bunkers were sandy as heck. The dark, dyed greens were rolling beautifully at 11. 

Played the Blue tees at 6484 yds (71.9/134). Good day ballstriking, but much too defensive on the greens. Five bogies and a double. 

ET gets 6 cows. Very nice layout with plenty of trouble and very nice green complexes. A bit steep at $97 with no walking rate. Not sure if pay that weekly, but an occasional round would be fine. Definitely recommended. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

English Turn GCC, New Orleans, LA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Par 5 15th. Go or no go? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25d3z051wq4q1q1/AABOh_d4_KmOy3d0Fh2bJU5_a?dl=0

• Like 4

A very tasty barrel aged vanilla Russian Imperial Stout at Port Orleans Brewing Company. Nice digs and 21 taps with a decent selection. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

@Argonne69 I've noticed over time you seem to rarely if ever take pictures of the greens. It seems as if almost all of them are the view from the tee or the view of the green from the fairway. You usually go into good detail describing the putting surfaces though.

Is there a reason for that? I assume maybe you snap pics while waiting to hit so that chance doesn't come up once you reach the green, but I could be wrong.

Always something I've been curious about 😉.

1 minute ago, Abh159 said:

@Argonne69 I've noticed over time you seem to rarely if ever take pictures of the greens. It seems as if almost all of them are the view from the tee or the view of the green from the fairway. You usually go into good detail describing the putting surfaces though.

Is there a reason for that? I assume maybe you snap pics while waiting to hit so that chance doesn't come up once you reach the green, but I could be wrong.

Always something I've been curious about 😉.

Just like on TV, photos rarely show the true contouring or elevation changes of the greens. The announcers on TV are always commenting on the amount of break or downhill slope, but it looks flat on the tube.

I've tried taking a few, but they turn out awful. There was a green at Yale that was over 100' deep with a good 4 foot dip in the middle, and the photo just didn't do it justice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

There was a green at Yale that was over 100' deep with a good 4 foot dip in the middle, and the photo just didn't do it justice. 

The famed Biarritz style! Never seen one in person… Stinks that the camera doesn’t give you a good perspective of the contours because that would be a cool one to see.

• Like 1

I walked off with a 4 on that Yale par 3 after NOT hitting the green, and was I happy! That is an awesome golf course. Yes, it is tough to see the swale in the photos.

yale.jfif

• Like 4

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Grrr. Does any place in NOLA know how to make a proper roux? Read the reviews for Basin Seafood and Spirits, and figured it would be decent. Bah. More brown broth. Now, the jambalaya was tasty. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll try again tomorrow. May hit the Gumbo Shop. I stopped there 7 years ago, and recall that it was pretty good. 

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Just like on TV, photos rarely show the true contouring or elevation changes of the greens. The announcers on TV are always commenting on the amount of break or downhill slope, but it looks flat on the tube.

I've tried taking a few, but they turn out awful. There was a green at Yale that was over 100' deep with a good 4 foot dip in the middle, and the photo just didn't do it justice. 

Yes that hole at Yale is a doozy! I think that is number 9.   I really like Yale, I hope it is not $300 when the redo is complete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Enjoyable morning. Well, except for the 15 minute rain shower. Ugh. Wanna get wet? Leave your rain gear in the car because there's only a 20 percent chance of passing rain. Pfffttt. Otherwise it was warm and rather humid. Good day for a walk. 

English Turn today. It's a Jack Nicklaus design, and ranks #3 on GolfWeek's Best in State list. Similar to Longwood, but a much better design. No surprise it was flat, but unlike yesterday's round the water was definitely in play. Excellent bunkering, including many long ones that fronted some of the ponds. Could use more left/right movement, but I thought it was a solid design. Not much in the way of trees. Homes surround the perimeter, but they're pretty good looking. 

Tough off the tee. Fairly generous fairways, but the bunkers and water were ever present. Big misses that weren't wet weren't overly penal with few trees and adjacent holes. Approaches were generally tough as well. Well protected greens with some fun shapes. Many were narrow or shallow, and should be attacked from the right part of the fairway. The par 5 11th was a good example. The layup area was split by a series of bunkers. The harder layup was to the right of but it gave a better approach that the left side with a look down the narrow green. Up and downs were tough due to the contours on the putting surface and the quick pace. Mounding around them was also good, so a few funky lies could be expected. Putting was also challenging. No crazy contours, but enough to keep one focused. Signature Jack. 

Par 3s were quite good. Plenty of trouble, but they could use a little more variety in length with only one long one. 5s were also very good. The short 15th is their signature hole with an island green. A decent drive allows one to go for it, but a watery grave awaits any miss. Short 4s were excellent. Not a ton of danger off the tee, but the greens were tiny and well guarded. 

Conditions were very good, although the brief rain did soften things somewhat. Overseeded fairways were very playable. Rough was cut very short. Bunkers were sandy as heck. The dark, dyed greens were rolling beautifully at 11. 

Played the Blue tees at 6484 yds (71.9/134). Good day ballstriking, but much too defensive on the greens. Five bogies and a double. 

ET gets 6 cows. Very nice layout with plenty of trouble and very nice green complexes. A bit steep at $97 with no walking rate. Not sure if pay that weekly, but an occasional round would be fine. Definitely recommended. 

When it was private before Katrina they used to keep in perfect condition pretty much year round. I used to really enjoy playing there a few times a year and in the Pro-Am while I lived there. 

• Like 1

The Golf Club at Audubon Park, New Orleans, LA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Par 5 18th. Go or no go? 

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r1b4djmpj78d62g/AAAnQ1WO_29TSfOd549NkIb6a?dl=0

• Like 3

Drove down to the French Quarter. Lol. Always fun driving through it on the narrow streets. I was pleasantly surprised to find street parking. First stop is Crescent City Brewhouse. Only six beers on tap, but tasty. I'll take a stroll over to Jackson Square shortly, and then head over to Gumbo Shop. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

I assume this isn't your first trip to New Orleans? If so, thoughts on it's current state?

I grew up just a few hours drive from New Orleans so I've been there quite a bit over the years (both pre and post Katrina). I hate to say it and maybe it's just me, but it seems like each time I've been recently the city gets a little dirtier, a little more run down, a little less safe, and so on with each trip. What used to be a yearly excursion is now just once every few years for some sort of special occasion like a wedding.

Plus, now that I'm an adult that distinct "New Orleans smell" has become more potent, and not in a good way.

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

I assume this isn't your first trip to New Orleans? If so, thoughts on it's current state?

I grew up just a few hours drive from New Orleans so I've been there quite a bit over the years (both pre and post Katrina). I hate to say it and maybe it's just me, but it seems like each time I've been recently the city gets a little dirtier, a little more run down, a little less safe, and so on with each trip. What used to be a yearly excursion is now just once every few years for some sort of special occasion like a wedding.

Plus, now that I'm an adult that distinct "New Orleans smell" has become more potent, and not in a good way.

There's definitely no getting away from the French Quarter smell. Lol. This is my 4th visit to the Big Easy. I agree that it seems to be in a slow decline overall. The French Quarter doesn't really change, though. Had a nice stroll down Royal St. The art galleries and antique shops are much better than the bars and souvenir shops on Bourbon. 

spacer.png

I think I need a new look on the course. The ol gambler hat is getting old. Maybe a vintage Tom Petty look? Lol. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

That's a little better.

spacer.png

The Gumbo Shop is good, but I still think Blue Water Bayou in Texarkana is better. Much better. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 11:50 AM, Argonne69 said:

I generally play weekday mornings, and avoid weekend golf, so crowds don't scare me.

I can't even fathom the thought of playing the same course or two several times a week. Even with a reasonable membership rate, playing another course I'd still be thinking about the cost of not playing at my home course. Lol. I spent two summers in Chicago after retirement playing four rounds a week. I had at least eight courses on a regular rotation, and another dozen as fill ins. I typically wouldn't see the same course but twice a month. 

I'd prefer to be near a big city with plenty of options for nightlife and medical care. 

You may take a look at the San Antonio area - they have probably some of the best hill-county public access courses in Texas (IMO) and you can still own some acreage there in certain areas for reasonable-ish cost. The muni courses are actually pretty good (Brackenridge, Olmos (not the most visually appealing but always in good shape when Ive played), Cedar Creek, etc) and the public access stuff there is good too (The Quarry, TPC (for $$$), Golf Club of Texas, Tapatio Springs, Silverhorn, Canyon Springs, La Cantera (shame they closed the Palmer Course - my favorite in the city) and Vaaler Creek in Blanco). They have a really active municipal tournament series that is good. And the airport services a lot of good routes, and you got Austin an hour away if thats more convenient too.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

There's definitely no getting away from the French Quarter smell. Lol. This is my 4th visit to the Big Easy. I agree that it seems to be in a slow decline overall. The French Quarter doesn't really change, though. Had a nice stroll down Royal St. The art galleries and antique shops are much better than the bars and souvenir shops on Bourbon. 

spacer.png

I think I need a new look on the course. The ol gambler hat is getting old. Maybe a vintage Tom Petty look? Lol. 

spacer.png

That'll ruin any chance ever of walking rate.

• Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Cloudy, warm and humid this morning. Surprisingly there was no fog. Nice day for a literal walk in the park. The Golf Club at Audubon Park today. The course opened in 1898, and is lined with majestic old oak trees. This fun little course has some teeth. Good amount of water in play, and excellent bunkering. The tips play at 4220 yds with a dozen par 3s. You play here to work on your irons, not your driver. 

Off the tee on the six driving holes was a bit of a challenge with water and bunkering. The 10th had a decent carry over the water. There's a bit of room for minor misses. Approaches were tough. Many of the greens were small. The larger ones were well guarded. Almost all were elevated with fairly steep sides and surrounding mounds. Up and downs were tricky from the rough on the slopes. Greens were moderately challenging with good contouring. 

The par 3s were very good. Nice mix of lengths ranging from an 127 yarder with a tiny green to a pair of 210+ yarders with forced carries. The pair of reachable 5s were nice risk/reward holes. The short 4s were also good with plenty of trouble and small greens. Two might be driveable for long hitters. 

Conditions were better than expected. Fairways had a few iffy patches. Rough was a good height. Bunkers were spotty. A few were decent, but others needed more sand. Greens were a little bare in spots, but were rolling OK at 10. Can't ask for more from an inexpensive muni. 

Played the Gold tees at 4220 yds on the par 62 layout (61.6/104). Honestly, I think that slope is way too low. Took advantage of the par 5s, but the longer 3s did me in. Two birdies and six bogies. 

I'll give AP 5 cows. Very nice surroundings, and properly priced at $30 to walk. Why players ride here is beyond me. Nice clubhouse with a big veranda to enjoy post round ice teas. Worth a visit. 

Glad you enjoyed it. Audubon is a really fun course to play and not the pushover people think when they see the yardage. 

• Thanks 1

I think courses with that kind of layout with a mix of mostly par 3s, some 4s and reachable 5s would catch on.   Should be a shorter round and would get people with less experience a chance to work on their games.  

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

I should have been a weatherman. Must be nice to be wrong half the time and still collect a paycheck. Lol. Forecast called for some sun with little chance for rain, but I got cloudy skies with occasional light rain. Bah. Pleasant day otherwise. First one out on a beautiful course never gets old. Fallen Oak is a Tom Fazio design, and ranks #1 on GolfWeek's Best in State list. Tough call on that one. I'd say it's a coin flip with Mossy Oak. The course is located in the De Soto National Forest, so you get plenty of parkland goodness with some nice elevation changes. A couple of creeks and marshes mean more than a couple of forced carries. A few small ponds. Bunkering was wonderful. Oh, and deep. No doglegs, but a handful of sweepers reward working the ball. 

Fairly generous off the tee, but the bunkers will eat misses. The few forced carries were more for show. Rough was wide, so minor misses weren't overly penal. The trees were spread out, so big missed could generally be found and played. Hard to categorize approaches. The greens were quite large, so there was plenty of acreage to chalk up a GIR. However, they were very firm, and the overseeded areas in front of them were sponge soft, so trying to hit one close was challenging. A couple of false fronts and sides rejected a few good shots. Up and downs were tough. Speedy, contoured greens, along with a few dropoffs into lush rough was testing. Putting was also a good challenge. Long lag putts on quick greens with big and little breaks kept me focused. 

Par 3s were excellent. The two on the front had forced carries, and the pair on the back were well guarded. 5s were a bit of a letdown. No real reachable risk/reward holes, but each required solid layups to avoid trouble. Short 4s were very good with solid bunkering. 

Conditions were playable, but not ideal. Cart path only for the riders, and very soft and muddy in spots. Overseeded fairways were thin with more than a few iffy areas. Rough was very good. Bunkers were fabulous. Greens were also excellent, and rolling a good 11. I swear they were 12 at times. Always nice to be able to put a light stroke on a 30 footer. 

Played a Third/Fourth combo at 6330 yds (70.5/135). Good day ballstriking, but the greens had me on my heels, and occasionally on my, um, behind. Just couldn't get an iron or wedge close on the firm greens, and putting was an exercise in survival. Six bogies. Highlight of the round was on the 2nd hole. Hit a solid approach to the center back pin, and as I started walking up I watched the ball slowly roll off the large false front. 87' to the pin, up the slope to the ridge, and then 20 feet down to the hole. Putted from just off the front and literally walked the putt to the hole where it hit the flagstick, and came to rest two feet away. I was still happy because the ball would have easily been 15' past without the flagstick. 

Fairly easy call on this one. 7 cows. Would like to see more risk/reward on the 5s. Beautiful course on a beautiful piece of property. I like Tom, and this is certainly one of his better ones. Of course the tough question is whether it's worth $450. Oh, boy. The $205 greens fee is acceptable. Sure, it would be great at $150, but I can live with two Benjamins. However, the mandatory hotel stay throws a monkey wrench into things. I think I got one of the lower rates, so it could be very pricey. My advice is to brush up on your poker skills and hope you can win enough to cover the hotel bill, and then it gets a very high recommendation. Otherwise, as wonderful as it is, it's a pass. Head over to Grand Bear, 15 miles away, and pay $70 to play a wonderful Jack Nicklaus design. It's also located in the national forest. 

• Like 4

Fallen Oak, Saucier, MS 

Looked promising at the start of the day. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dk8h2bq9o7aonee/AACmMMu9x9JnVk42sVSgmPnba?dl=0

• Like 4

Second visit to The Beer House in Ocean Springs. Not quite the stout fest I enjoyed on my first visit a year ago, but with 45 taps the selection is very good. Enjoying a Yellowhammer Brewing Frankenhammer Belgian Strong Dark Ale. 

spacer.png

Just checked, and Fallen Oak was the final Mississippi course I've played on GolfWeek's list. I think the courses in the state are similar to Alabama. They don't show up in the national rankings, but they're a solid group that don't break the bank (Fallen Oak excluded).

I've made several trips to the gulf, and the courses from NOLA to Panama City Beach are definitely worth a visit if you're looking for something a little little off the beaten path. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2