2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

3 hours ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

I was always taught to fix your pitch mark and 1 more, and if you did not hot the green, still replace the pitch marks because it makes you look like you did! Fixing pitch mark is actually an enjoyable task IMO.

Fixing a pitch mark is enjoyable. Fixing an addii one is a good thing. Fixing six to ten on every green is deplorable. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Inverness Beach, Cabot Links, and the town of Inverness. Quite peaceful. I thought Bandon was a sleepy town, but it's huge compared to Inverness. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

5 hours ago, TBD203 said:

This is not just a problem at public tracks. We don’t get as much play as some places, but I routinely fix my pitch mark and 3-4 others while my group chips up and putts out. I can understand if you’re too old or hurt to bend over… but that isn’t 80+% of golfers.

Unfortunately has become an issue at many courses.   Our club is no better and one of the top clubs in our area.

The running joke is that your member number should be on the sole of your shoes to see who doesn’t rake.   And you have to love the guy that walks in and right over a rake to play  the shot and doesn’t rake.   Maybe how you were raised but if I didn’t fix ball marks, divots, etc. I would not have been playing.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, buckI said:

Unfortunately has become an issue at many courses.   Our club is no better and one of the top clubs in our area.

The running joke is that your member number should be on the sole of your shoes to see who doesn’t rake.   And you have to love the guy that walks in and right over a rake to play  the shot and doesn’t rake.   Maybe how you were raised but if I didn’t fix ball marks, divots, etc. I would not have been playing.

My father didn’t try to teach a swing. He taught me to play fast and respect the course. Really not that hard 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Par 3s were excellent, including the short 9th that played as a half lob wedge over deep bunker. Don't ever recall playing a par 3 with a partial lob wedge.

@Argonne69Did you find the long par 3s to be treacherous? I find it interesting that even at 6,000 yds (silver tees) there are two par 3s that are 200ish yds in length.

Another question on length I noted an almost 570 yd par 5 (#7 that you mentioned above that also looks to play uphill)! That's longer than 3 out of the 4 par 5s that the tour players encountered at Rocket Mortgage this past weekend. Maybe I should just tackle the 5500 yd tees if/when I get up there?

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 minute ago, vandyfan said:

@Argonne69Did you find the long par 3s to be treacherous? I find it interesting that even at 6,000 yds (silver tees) there are two par 3s that are 200ish yds in length.

Another question on length I noted an almost 570 yd par 5 (#7 that you mentioned above that also looks to play uphill)! That's longer than 3 out of the 4 par 5s that the tour players encountered at Rocket Mortgage this past weekend. Maybe I should just tackle the 5500 yd tees if/when I get up there?

I played the silver tees. I think it's 6100 yds on the card. I didn't hit more than my 5 hybrid off the tee on the long 3s, so it's possible they had the tees moved up today. Difficult, but not uber tough. 

Conditions were on the firm side, so there was some rollout. I thought the silver tees was a good test, even with the 7th. I had a few long approaches, but also a number of short irons and wedges. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Cabot Cliffs, Inverness, NS 

Short par 4 2nd. Tough green. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The 7th 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Par 3 16th 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s1axxiswk5s4gk0/AAD34HIP7HXS82y-fNgOe7AJa?dl=0

Great photos.  WOW that has doubled in4 years.  A group of us looked going pre-covid (2018) and probably should have honestly. *Did Pinehurst instead so cant complain...lol

Cliff's was only $195 USD during peak season 4 years ago.  Demand and rankings will do that as we know..

The reviews and the video below made us think the extra hard going the extra distance to NS was worth it. 

Pac Dunes is in my top 5 also.   Pebble is great with the ocean hand down but the course design is just "nice". The views save it IMHO.  Personally Chambers was just "okay" to me. Its good but felt over hyped to me.  That is the beauty of golf, how each player sees a course. 

• Like 1

My that was a long day. I haven't walked 36 in a long time, and certainly not while carrying one of the rounds. Thank goodness I had a caddie this morning. After a quick round this morning, the 4:30 pace on Links felt like an eternity. The Links course can really beat you up. 

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed on the opening holes. A little too flat, and not enough "links" for my liking. However, the course really started to shine on the back nine. It also started showing its teeth. It certainly had a more wild look than Cliffs. On paper it's slightly easier than Cliffs, but I think it's tougher. More forced carries. More blind shots, which was quite tough without a caddie. More crazy bounces with bunkers waiting to swallow your ball. Tougher greens to hit, and more trouble when you miss them. Also seemed to be more native areas off the fairways. Definitely had a more links feel to it than Cliffs. Bunkering was excellent, and the one hole with water was a tough forced carry. 

Fairways were still fairly generous, but the undulations could play havoc with your ball. Not much rough before the unplayable native areas. Greens were extremely tough to hold. Many greens were raised, and landing short tended to stay short. Land middle+ and goodbye, it over the green. Hit a number of greens that spun off the sides. Can't say the greens were very well protected, but the bunkers did seem to catch a lot of balls that hit the green first. Putting was very challenging. Big, slow greens with some wild undulations made for tough lags. Even the putts that looked fairly tame had a lot of break to them. 

The five par 3s were good, but I wasn't blown away. Same with the par 5s. A couple were reachable, but not really risk/reward. Short 4s were very good. 

Conditions were similar to Cliffs. Good, but not perfect. Bunkers could use more sand. Greens were a little bumpy, and only rolling 9 at best. Left a ton of putts short. 

I ran out of gas halfway through the round. Decent with the driver, but the greens were rejecting even my wedges. One birdie, nine bogies, and a double. Highlight of the day was draining a 24' putt with a bellied wedge. I was too lazy/tired to walk to my bag to fetch my putter, so I used my wedge with better results than my putter was displaying. 

I'll give Links 7 cows. Here's the rub, though. Like Greenbrier Old White, I don't think this is a $400 course. Although I'm beat, I'm glad I took advantage of the half priced replay rate. For $200 it's a good deal. Gotta classify it as a must play. I mean, if you're traveling all the way to Cabot to play Cliffs, you're going to play Links without question. 

• Like 4

Cabot Links, Inverness, NS 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vfona2z8iwct1z6/AADmCjEYb1ORKtQfo-YKMIWoa?dl=0

• Like 4

Looking forward to playing Cape Breton Highland Links tomorrow, but the thought of the 2:20 drive up there, and 2:20 drive back is sending shivers down my spine. Lol. I'm going to crack open a nice Revolution Brewing Deth Tar barrel aged imperial stout, watch a little of my DVR backlog, and hit the sack early. Probably going to skip golf on Wednesday. After three rounds in two days, nearly five hours driving tomorrow, and over four hours driving expected on Thursday on the road to Halifax, I'm going to need a little R&R. 

• Like 1

Argonne, I know you are a trooper to always prefer walking but Highland Links is a tough course to walk at the best of times. Take a cart, especially since you are gassed from today.

re: cabot courses, my biggest “disappointment” with my experience there was the greens. Unfortunately it seems they havent figured out a way to accommodate all the traffic with increasing the green speeds to an appropriate level. They keep them long to protect them…of course, the courses are still a must play.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

When you are bored inside Bessie, here is your HW, LOL. Cabots look awesome.

97FFFCDE-78CD-4CF7-9B8F-4E90E8AAC74D.jpeg

Lol. That's an average quarter for me. 

47 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Beautiful drive this morning. I forgot that Highland Links is located in Cape Breton Highlands National Park. I drove the northern loop of the Cabot Trail, and it's very scenic. I'd say it's better than Acadia. The road just north of Cabot reminded me a little of the Pacific Coast Highway. A few sleepy fishing villages along the way. 

I'm sure glad that I didn't drive Bessie up here. The road is scenic, but very twisty and steep in spots. It's a good day trip from Inverness. I'll drive the southern half of the trail on the way back. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Standing on the 2nd tee at Highland Links. The threesome I was supposed to play with were no shows, so the starter sent me out as a single. Good thing I'm walking, as it'll kill a little time on the crowded course. 

wow, enjoy the day.  views like that make you appreciate being alive and being able to play golf!

• Like 1

Enjoyable day. Fairly warm, but the breeze was quite nice. Didn't really want to be out as a single on a crowded course, but I made the best of it. Unfortunately Highland Links wasn't quite what I was expecting. The scorecard boldly claims "One of the Top 100 Courses in the World." I'd love to meet them person who thought that. Decent course with fun greens, but it won't blow you away. Generally a letdown the day after playing a top course. While the name suggests links style, it's a pure parkland layout. The opening and closing holes have some fun elevation change, including a number of buried elephants in the fairways. The middle section of the out and back layout plays in a river/stream valley with fairly flat topography. Bunkering is very light, bordering on nonexistent. Water on a couple of holes, but the main defense are the dense trees and complex greens. Well, at least some of them. No doglegs and only two mild sweepers. 

Driving was moderately difficult. Most holes were fairly wide, but things really got tight on the 7th. Rough wasn't particularly wide, so it's best to keep it in the short stuff, as the trees are very dense. Approaches were fairly easy. The greens weren't huge, but they were fairly soft, and therefore receptive. Up and downs were a little tricky on the handful of slopey greens. The flat greens were straightforward. 

Not a lot of excitement on the holes. 3s were OK. 5s were mundane. Short 4s were snoozers. 

Conditions were spotty. Fairways had a few iffy patches, and some were quite soft. Rough was a good height. Bunkers were sandy, but way too many rocks. Greens were awful. For starters, they had turf issues that left bare spots. Worse yet, they aerated yesterday. They did use small tines, but putts just weren't holding their lines. Speed was decent at 10. 

Another round with decent ballstriking, but I couldn't buy a putt on the bumpy greens. Five bogies. 

I'll be nice and give it 5 cows. It would normally fall in the category of a nice course for regular play for the locals, but at a walking rate of $126 (US) I'd take a hard pass on a 2nd visit. That said, the Cabot Trail loop is a very nice drive. If you're playing Cabot, and have a vehicle, then it's probably worth a day to make the drive around the loop, and toss in a round at HL. 

• Like 2

Cape Breton Highlands Links, Ingonish Beach, NS. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

South Cabot Trail overlooking the Atlantic coast. 

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j017b6tazb1nc8g/AAA4vQiCFESogrzh3KNynl8za?dl=0

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Enjoying a nice oatmeal stout at Big Spruce Brewing in Baddeck, NS. It's 90 minutes south of the national park, and an hour from Inverness. Good spot for a pit stop. Small brewery with 8 taps. Usual stuff. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dreary and wet day in Inverness. I'm glad I took the day off to get a few chores done. 

Booked a round at The Links at Penn Hills near Halifax for Saturday. I'll be playing the Links at Brunello on Friday. Tough to find a good course near Halifax, as a number of the best courses in the area have gone private this year. I also switched RV parks to shave two hours off my trip. 

I booked an RV park in Skowhagen, Maine, and verified that Sugarloaf and Diadema both allow public play. 

I called Omni Mount Washington Resort and Owls Nest Resort in New Hampshire to confirm that they allow public play. Next chore will be to book an RV park near Mount Washington. After that it's off to Vermont. 

Arg,

I played Boothbay Harbor County Club twice at the end of July.   Since you missed it (as I recall), I am providing this review.

I see why BHCC is rated as the number 1 golf course in Maine.   I compare it with the very best golf courses in the WashDC/Baltimore area — specifically, Caves Valley Golf Club in Owings Mills, MD and River Bend CC in Great Falls, VA.

The conditioning of the golf course was superb.   The greens were near perfect, running at least a 10, with considerable interior slopes.   Putting was tricky, but not tricked up.   The course is hilly, with 4 or 5 significant climbs.   I didn’t think the course would be walkable, as along with the hilly terrain, there are several long walks from green to the next tee box.   However, a few BHCC members actually walk the golf course, including folks in their 60s.   The fairways are wide, in great shape, and firm (it’s been very dry in Maine).   The rough is not too penal, but does affect playing your shot.

I played the III (middle) tees, which are almost 5,900 yards at a par of 71.   I am a 10 handicap with a driver swing speed of 92mph.   I found the mix of golf holes to be a spectacular and very fun design.   There are a couple of very enjoyable, short par 3s played with very short irons (8 or 9).   I couldn’t reach any of the par 5s in two (and usually don’t anywhere).   The par 4s were also a mix of long and shorter second shots to the green.

My threesome played both rounds in 4 hours, teeing off at 7:30am both days.   We played behind a foursome (2 couples) that played a scramble, as the two women obviously only play one round of golf a year and the two men were just about as bad.   The couples in the foursome in front of us were also “guests” who stayed at the Oceanside resort hotel on Boothbay Harbor proper.

My wife and I loved Boothbay Harbor (in general) as well as the golf at BHCC.   

• Like 3

Nice drive this morning to the Halifax area. Actually, I'm roughly half way between Halifax and Truro. Not much in the area. I'll be playing at Links at Brunello tomorrow, and then spend a few hours in Halifax. 

Spent a lot of time this afternoon working on a schedule for the rest of the trip through early October. Looks like I'll be traveling through central Maine (Sugarloaf and Diadema), north New Hampshire (Sunday River, Omni Mt Washington, Owls Nest), north Vermont (Jay Peak and Stowe Mountain), Concord (CC of New Hampshire), Brattleboro VT (Crumpin-Fox), Rutland (Rutland CC, Okemo Valley, Equinox), Saratoga (Sagamore and Saratoga National), Albany (Teconic), Cooperstown (Leatherstocking), Syracuse (3 at Turning Stone Resort), Rochester (Ravenwood), and Buffalo. 

Of course I still have to call most of the courses to see if they allow general public play, otherwise the plans will shift. 

After that I may head to Harrisburg/Hershey, Pittsburgh, Akron (Firestone North and South), and Cleveland. 

Plenty of golf left this summer and early fall before I start my winter trek south. 

• Like 3

When do you think you'll be in Cooperstown? I'll be there last weekend of Sep. My plan is to play Leatherstocking, Links of Hiawatha and Mark Twain on my way there as well. Make sure you see the baseball HOF, it's really neat.

Edited by BEND OF THE RIVER GC

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

3 hours ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

When do you think you'll be in Cooperstown? I'll be there last weekend of Sep. My plan is to play Leatherstocking, Links of Hiawatha and Mark Twain on my way there as well. Make sure you see the baseball HOF, it's really neat.

Tentative date for Leatherstocking is September 4th. 

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Nice drive this morning to the Halifax area. Actually, I'm roughly half way between Halifax and Truro. Not much in the area. I'll be playing at Links at Brunello tomorrow, and then spend a few hours in Halifax. 

Spent a lot of time this afternoon working on a schedule for the rest of the trip through early October. Looks like I'll be traveling through central Maine (Sugarloaf and Diadema), north New Hampshire (Sunday River, Omni Mt Washington, Owls Nest), north Vermont (Jay Peak and Stowe Mountain), Concord (CC of New Hampshire), Brattleboro VT (Crumpin-Fox), Rutland (Rutland CC, Okemo Valley, Equinox), Saratoga (Sagamore and Saratoga National), Albany (Teconic), Cooperstown (Leatherstocking), Syracuse (3 at Turning Stone Resort), Rochester (Ravenwood), and Buffalo. 

Of course I still have to call most of the courses to see if they allow general public play, otherwise the plans will shift. 

After that I may head to Harrisburg/Hershey, Pittsburgh, Akron (Firestone North and South), and Cleveland. 

Plenty of golf left this summer and early fall before I start my winter trek south. 

I’m envious of your golf schedule! That will be a great time of year to be in the north east. 

Just a quick word about Firestone. I’m 90% sure they are stay and play only and I know your hatred for that type of set up. I’m not saying they are bad golf courses because they aren’t, but to me they are nowhere near worth the prices they are asking. I’ve played the south numerous times and it’s a well maintained golf course but nothing special. The listed rack rate is $400+. I’m guessing you would walk off the course with thoughts similar to what you had after the Old White course. Just my unsolicited 2 cents. 

Hit ‘em straight. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I thought Firestone was private

7 hours ago, cbbaron said:

I thought Firestone was private

I thought I read that they went public. The three courses show up on GolfWeek's Best in State list. That's not saying much, though. I'll give them a call to get the scoop.