Golfchicago

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know some excercised I can do with my physioball, as well as the benefits of Pilates as it relates to the golf swing. I just bought a Pilates machine, and I've found that after 1 week my abs and core muscles feel a hell of a lot tighter.

Thanks. Any idea when the articles will be posted?

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to those of you looking for golf fitness information.

I am a physical therapist who has dedicated my ten year career to helping amatuer and professional golfer's achieve their physical goals. I manage an office in Oak Brook IL called the AthletiCo Golf Performance Center. In my facility we have mutliple avenues of technology that enable us to precisely asses exactly what you are doing during your golf swing... these technologies include 3 camera 2D analysis, 3D wireless analysis (looking at rotational velocities and kinetic link information - ie. power leaks) and a force plate in the ground to asses weight transfer and balance information.

That said..... the best exercise program for golf is one that is not only for golf but one that is specifically for you!!!. There are basically common areas of rotational mobility concern...

1. Ankles (calve flexibility)

2. Hip joints (mostly internal rotation) = stretching for the gluts, piriformis good.

3. Torso rotation flexibility that starts with good posture

4. Shoulder rotation flexibility that enables at least 100 deg of external rotation (the motion that the R arm goes into at the top of the backswing with the elbow pointing down at the ground) on both sides.

In addition to the mobility areas.... there are also areas of stability that must be assessed and usually addressed.

Lateral hip strength is very important so that one can make a complete wieght shift without excessive lateral tilt either away or towards the side being shifted onto and posterior hip strength (a strong butt) especially the L side for a Righty.

Core strength is important but not the crunch muscles but the deeper ones... the ones that enable you to draw your belly button in upon an exhalation. These can be accomplished by exercises such as plank (hovering above the ground on you elbows and toes for periods of time up to 1min without letting your back arch or you butt stuck in the air.

Also the scapular muscles and rotator cuff muscles must be very strong to enable you to extend your arms at the top of the backswing with the club in front of you not deep and behind you and to release the club fully at impact.

The most effective exercise programs for golf will be those that ask one to use their own means to maintain their balance and posture. Therefore machines are discouraged unless they are cable pulley machines. Standing exercises always trump lying exercises and after about 6-8 weeks of strength training you must introduce some power exercises that involve plyometrics of one sort or another (ie. medicine ball work, lateral hops, vertical leap, etc.).

Hope this helps.... Any other questions feel free to Post or contact me at [email protected] 630-572-9700.

Cory Puyear, PT, CSCS, MGFI

Hello Athletico,

I have my first rehab appoinment (left should impingement) at your Clark street location tomorrow, Wednesday 02/22/06. Does the Clark street location also have,3 camera 2D analysis, 3D wireless analysis (looking at rotational velocities and kinetic link information - ie. power leaks) and a force plate in the ground to asses weight transfer and balance information?

Thanks in advance.

Eugene

Eugene,

Glad to hear you are getting started with some treatment to your shoulder. If you can... try to connect with Adam Wille at our Clark location. He is our golf specific guy there and he can help get you on the right track with your shoulder in regards to golf. Our location there does not have the technology that our OakBrook location does.... however, once you complete your rehab at Clark if you are interested in having an assessment done at our Oak Brook location and then completing some additional training at our Clark location you may do so.

Thanks and good luck.

Cory

I would appreciate information on flexibility for those of us (maybe only me) that are really inflexible and find yoga classes/videos a little too advanced and really need something simple. Especially stretching drills for shoulders, chest and back.

Appreciate your contribution to this board,

Josh

• 4 weeks later...

I've agreed with the "higher ups" at golfwrx.com to come in once and a while, when my schedule permits it to and offer my 2 cents. I've been fortunate enough to have worked with and helpd golfers all over the world through fitness and exercise.

I see a lot of requests for exercises. Always remember you'll be "piece-mealing" it, but it's definitely better than the alternative. :idhitit:

I've written quite a few articles (and tips) at About Golf. In there you'll see pics of me doing the actual exercise. That would be a good start.

That being said, I'll come in here as much as I can to help out...but bare with me...I'm onle one guy running ragid sometimes :crazy:

• 1 year later...

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to send a reminder that I have launched the Better Golf with Fitness Podcast, to accompany my Better Golf with Fitness Blog (which is automatically fed into the Golfwx forum and the Golfwrx members have been my strongest supporters)

Each week the show will be divided up into segments:

"The News and Rants"

We'll discuss any golf fitness news (if there is any!) and rant about some of the stupid things we see in the gym, magazines and forums.

"15 minutes with the Fitness Pro"

We will interview some of the world's leading trainers and physical therapists to help you figure how to add some golf specific programming to your fitness routines.

"Hit the Gym"

There will be an exercise of the week, with accompanying videos or pictures and explanations of the exercise on GolfFitnessProducts.net.

"Featured Fitness Product"

There will also be a featured piece of fitness equipment to help you integrate new tools into your workouts and help you build your home gym.

Each episode will have a resource page as well that contains a video of the Hit the Gym segment as well as links to websites and products that were mentioned on the show.

If you have any questions or requests for the show, shoot me an email at [email protected]

Thanks again for all of your support,

Anthony

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to send a reminder that I have launched the Better Golf with Fitness Podcast, to accompany my Better Golf with Fitness Blog (which is automatically fed into the Golfwx forum and the Golfwrx members have been my strongest supporters)

Each week the show will be divided up into segments:

"The News and Rants"

We'll discuss any golf fitness news (if there is any!) and rant about some of the stupid things we see in the gym, magazines and forums.

"15 minutes with the Fitness Pro"

We will interview some of the world's leading trainers and physical therapists to help you figure how to add some golf specific programming to your fitness routines.

"Hit the Gym"

There will be an exercise of the week, with accompanying videos or pictures and explanations of the exercise on GolfFitnessProducts.net.

"Featured Fitness Product"

There will also be a featured piece of fitness equipment to help you integrate new tools into your workouts and help you build your home gym.

Each episode will have a resource page as well that contains a video of the Hit the Gym segment as well as links to websites and products that were mentioned on the show.

If you have any questions or requests for the show, shoot me an email at [email protected]

Thanks again for all of your support,

Anthony

This is a great website. I just checked it out.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see articles on how basic training principles can benefit golfers. I'd like to see articles that tell golfers not to be afraid of lifting heavy weights. I'd like to see articles that tell golfers that working out traditionally won't make them tight and overly-huge behemoths of mass that cannot swing properly. Basically I would like to see articles that dispel the many myths that circle around training that many golfers believe...

PBJoe, I'm with you. As a trainer, those myths are some of the barriers in trying to get golfers to train.

I posted an article on my blog by world renowned Strength Coach Mike Boyle titled "Don't Lighten Up"

and it talks about golfers thinking all they need to do is light weights and lots of flexibility.

and I interviewed him about the article and strength training in Episode 4 of the Better Golf with Fitness Podcast

• 1 month later...

I frequent the golf fitness blog and TPI and there are several nice exercises listed but the sheer number of exerises is overwhelming. I don't know where to start and which ones are best.

Is there a core set of essential exerises that I can do for a good golf workout? Maybe a set of essential exercises for the triceps, back, core, hips and other important muscles for the golf swing.

• 6 months later...
I frequent the golf fitness blog and TPI and there are several nice exercises listed but the sheer number of exerises is overwhelming. I don't know where to start and which ones are best.

Is there a core set of essential exerises that I can do for a good golf workout? Maybe a set of essential exercises for the triceps, back, core, hips and other important muscles for the golf swing.

Ditto. Also, a guidance on exercises to help prevent back injury thru increasing flexibility and strength. Such as which exercises and in what order. I am trying to put together a good warm-up before hitting at the range or before a round. I strained my back several weeks ago by trying to warm-up too quickly (swinging a club to loosen up instead of stretching a bit first) and had to take a few weeks break. I'd really like to prevent that in the future as I plan on increasing my practice/play by a great deal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just gone through about $1K worth of low level laser therapy on my right elbow and its taken me so far, and yesterday I played my first 18 holes since November... but this morning its tight and a bit throbbing... and now my left elbow is showing signs of "the elbow" as well... are there some rehab type exercises I can do to help here?

• 2 months later...