Long Island Golfer

Distance to Golf Course

What is a reasonable/realistic distance to live from a golf club?  

I'm looking at two clubs: one is 15 minutes away and is a nice course nice club but nothing special.  One is 30-55 minutes depending on traffic but the course is a special one.

Not sure I will take full advantage of a club that far away.

If the juice to get into the nicer club isn't too bad (which I doubt and would guess it is pricey) then take that one. you can often pick your time at private clubs to show up. If you have a flexible schedule the commute can be times closer to 30 mintues and not bad at all. You can't have it all in life, so driving a little further 15-20 minutes isn't a big deal for a much better playing experience.

Back in '18  I had a dual membership. One club was 25-30 mins away, and had to drive through downtown of the city to get there. The other is about 2-3 minutes away. I ended up getting rid of the membership at the club that was farther away. I kinda miss playing that course, and I've even contemplated re-upping the dual membership. But I don't because I keep coming back to "I don't wanna drive across town all the time to play it" 

In other words, if the "special" course is really great, then you have to weigh if it's worth the drive all the time. At first you might not care about the drive, but eventually it will probably wear on you. I'm spoiled with having my current club real close. It makes it easy on all sorts of levels. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H
Callaway Apex irons 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

You may want to ask around of about the best way to drive to the golf courses.  Sometimes the best way to get there isn't obvious or recommended by the usual online sources.

I have a special way of getting home from the golf course as I know the lanes that open up and are generally clear of traffic to ease the trip home.

In central Connecticut we have left lane exits to deal with as well as poor design of I-91 and I-84 that these two major interstates running straight into the city of Hartford.

Nevertheless, I usually head home at 3PM before the rush hour traffic.

Edited by ShortGolfer