Shocking results at my TrueSpec fitting

jjfcpa

I scheduled an iron fitting and a driver fitting with TrueSpec while vacationing in Palm Springs.  I scheduled them on different days, but due to some maintenance work they were doing at the fitting location, I had to combine them on the same day.

I've had a fitting at Club Champion before so I was curious to see if there was any difference.

Started with an iron fitting and hit my current set (Titleist T300 with the senior flex stock shaft) to get some baseline numbers.  Then used the same T300 head to find a shaft that might improve the trajectory, dispersion, or spin rates.  Nothing we tried made any improvements but we did settle on a shaft that seemed to work just as well.  Next, we tried a number of different heads, from other OEMs, to see if we could improve on distance.  After an hour and fifteen minutes, and only gaining a couple yards of distance, we both concluded that my T300's could not be improved upon, at least for me.

Next we moved to the driver.  Again, I hit my current gamer (Callaway Epic Max with a Recoil F2 senior shaft at 10.5 degrees).  Initial results showed that my spin rate was over 4000 rpms which was much to high to maximize performance.

We next use the same head and tried a number of shafts to see if we could affect the launch angle and spin rate.  We did find a lighter shaft that seemed to make some improvements but the spin rate was still too high.  Next we tried a number of heads from different OEMs to see what would get the spin rate down.  The results was a Callaway Epic LS at 9 degrees with a 45 gram shaft.  This worked the best at getting the spin rate down but still provided good launch numbers while at the same time improving the dispersion and adding 20-30 yards in overall distance.  

I was concerned about the Epic LS selection at 9 degrees because I did not think this would be suitable for a senior golfer, such as myself.  However, he said that I was finding the center of the club face with enough regularity that it was exactly what I needed.  I had played a round of golf the day before and missed one fareway and had one muffed drive so I know that my ability to find the center of the club face is good, but my swing speed is under 90 mph.  I wanted to be sure that this combination was going to work for me.  On trackman my drives with the new combination were literally in a straight line and each one slightly longer than the previous one.  He felt that once I spent more time with the setup I could see even more distance gains with the selection.

During the fitting we reviewed each selection on Trackman and compared it to what I was currently playing.  There was no hard sell at any time, in fact, he did not charge me for the iron fitting because we could not find anything that improved on my current gamer, even though we spent the majority of the time with the irons - an hour and fifteen minutes vs about 30 minutes with the driver.

All-in-all, I think the fitting at TrueSpec was similar to the one at Club Champion 3 or 4 years ago, but my golf knowledge has increased over the last 3 or 4 years so I had a much better idea of what I was looking for and what the numbers meant in terms of results.  I don't think one was any better than the other.

I did end up ordering the Epic LS at 9 degrees with the shaft (that I've never heard of before) that he selected.  The shaft was a Vylyn 45 degree in A flex.  No shaft pureing because the shaft is too thin.

Was the fitting worth it... yes.  It confirmed that my irons are the best performing for me and the driver was not maximizing my performance, even though I thought it was.  The Club Champion fitting was done indoors and the TrueSpec was done outdoors but from a mat.  I think I would like hitting from a real grass tee better when fitting irons, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NAM2212 said:

The iron fitting was free but the $700 driver will cost you $1000. I am just glad they didn’t switch you into Oban iron shafts and the TSG Graphite Design driver shaft. 

This is the shaft that the fitter selected.  It was $ 275.  I expected it to cost more than what you would normally expect, but it did seem to give the results we were looking for so I'm willing to pay the price.

Never heard of that brand before.

https://www.dallasgolf.com/va-composites-vylyn-45-graphite-shaft-adapter-grip/?sku=656110235573/&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVFasyM_WM0yv-29DqOUnl_Ggvop45NH19o3Qy4cF8sQgRJwvArrFg0aAgdAEALw_wcB

Congrats, enjoy the new setup.  The VYLYN (and VA Composites in general) are fantastic shafts.  

Taylormade SIM 9* - Aldila Rogue Silver

Cobra SpeedZone Tour Big 3 wood - Veylix Arcane

Callaway Rogue SZ 5 wood - Diamana Thump 85

PXG 0211DC 5-P - Elevate Tour

Titleist SM8 50, 54, 58 - Accra 123i

Bettinardi Prototype/Scotty Cameron T22 Newport

17 hours ago, CROUSE99 said:

Great results. 20 to 30 yards more in the fairway would be worth the cost to me…but not my wife😏

At my age, 20-30 yards is HUGE.  I won't know for sure till next spring because our season is just coming to an end and I probably won't put it in play till then.  But I'll get some indoor practice time with it and see how it goes.

23 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

I was concerned about the Epic LS selection at 9  of golf the day before and missed one fareway and had one muffed drive so I know that my ability to find the center of the club face is good, but my swing speed is under 90 mph.  

What was your carry distance old vs new? 

You'll notice tons of LPGA play lower lofted drivers....they[we] need all the distance one can muster and that generally results in a certain trajectory window to optimize roll out

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

6 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

What was your carry distance old vs new? 

You'll notice tons of LPGA play lower lofted drivers....they[we] need all the distance one can muster and that generally results in a certain trajectory window to optimize roll out

Carry went from 150+ to 170+ with a good amount of rollout.  Better rollout with the 9* head.

In my round the other day, with my Callaway Epic Max, I had a great drive but when I got to it, I noticed that it actually made a divot in the fairway and hopped maybe a foot or two.  And the fairways were not that soft.  I thought that was kind of odd at the time and my fitting sort of explains why this was happening.  The spin was making the ball balloon to the point that it literally fell out of the sky.  I can see where lowing the trajectory will help as well as lowing the spin.

What driver shaft were you using before that you gained 20-30 yards with the newly recommended shaft?

Edited by bulls9999

GHIN Index 15.1
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW, Recoil 760 F3
LH Callaway Rogue 19* 3-Hyb, Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great write up. I recently did a driver fitting at club champion to optimize my PXG proto x+, since I never loved the diamana s+ in regular that I was fit into (they didn’t try any other shafts during the PXG fitting). My SS increased modestly from 93 to 96 over the past year between the PXG and CC fittings. I was fit into a VA Composite Vylyn 65S shaft after adding 20-30 yds with improved dispersion.

On 11/7/2021 at 5:53 PM, jjfcpa said:

Just did a little reading about the VA Composite Vylyn shaft and it is designed to generate low spin and high launch - just what the doctor ordered.

https://www.vashafts.com/vylyn

I was fitted into a VA Vylyn 75 in stiff at Club Champion two years back.  No desire to switch for the upcoming 3rd season.  It's a nice shaft.

• Thanks 1

🇺🇸

Ping G410 Plus driver
Cobra F6 Baffler
Callaway XR hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 irons

Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges
Odyssey Two-Ball Ten Tour Lined putter

Love the fitting at Club Champ, not a fan of everything after that. Would rather purchase the parts on my own and build. Way quicker and cheaper imo. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 MCA Diamana ZF 60 TX

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue 75X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x // Srixon ZX UI 2i 18* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 95x

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x