Steelfiber i110cw issue.

Doaner84

So I have a set of i110cw shafted to 716cb with jumbomax xs your grips. To get the feeling I like I hit the range with leadtape and found what I like. It’s about 10-14 grams of lead tape I added. I’ve Would that amount of extra weight at the head make the shaft more prone to snap or just softer?

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

31 minutes ago, Doaner84 said:

So I have a set of i110cw shafted to 716cb with jumbomax xs your grips. To get the feeling I like I hit the range with leadtape and found what I like. It’s about 10-14 grams of lead tape I added. I’ve Would that amount of extra weight at the head make the shaft more prone to snap or just softer?

Just softer - although how much really depends really on the total head weight (after tape was added), not just about how much you added.    

More typically it takes only about 6-8 gm with the steel fibers so either 1) you like really heavy swing weights or 2) you started with heads that were very light for the length you're playing.

Nothing really wrong either way.  But each 7 gm's of head weight over the standard weight for the iron head is the equivalent of a soft step.  (e.g. "standard" weight for a 7i is ~268 gm)

Edited by Stuart_G

I do like heavy swing weights. I added about 5 grams first and thought it played fine and I know you don’t usually need to adjust weight for heavier grips but I did with the jumbo max so I had to add lead till it felt right and it ended up 10g for some and 14g for other heads. 

I read somewhere on the forum about powder and corking for graphite shafts and it ended up snapping shaft so I was a bit worried but I guess it was due to the amount of powder way above the hosel. 
 A bit of soft stepping sounds good. The shafts play a bit stout for me. Thx @Stuart_G

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

16 minutes ago, Doaner84 said:

I do like heavy swing weights. I added about 5 grams first and thought it played fine and I know you don’t usually need to adjust weight for heavier grips but I did with the jumbo max so I had to add lead till it felt right and it ended up 10g for some and 14g for other heads. 

As long as you did it by feel - and it most likely wasn't specifically for the heavier grips.

16 minutes ago, Doaner84 said:

I read somewhere on the forum about powder and corking for graphite shafts and it ended up snapping shaft so I was a bit worried but I guess it was due to the amount of powder way above the hosel. 

No, it's not the location of the powder or weight that would have done it.  More than likely the damage was done during the process of forcing the cork into the shaft or using a cork that was too big or both.

But using cork and powder in a graphite shaft generally is a bad idea - even if one can cork it w/o damage, the ID is too small to make it very effective.

• Like 1