2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Cobra Radspeed Driver

kekoa

Just curious if any of you guys have kids playing this driver and results thus far.  I know a few kids who were recently fit into the new cobra line and they supposedly gained an average of 20 yards using trackman numbers.   Most of these kids currently use TM so that kind of gain with driver is mind blowing if actually true.

Thanks for any input.

3 minutes ago, kekoa said:

.....and they supposedly gained an average of 20 yards using trackman numbers.

Only have experience with Fly-Z+, F9 and SZ Cobra drivers for my kid. Changing from one to another never netted us an additional 20 yards.  Some age appropriate strength training, growth spurts,  and proper swing technique are the only times we have seen an increase.

Just my opinion, but for those getting 20 yards on a driver head switch, I'm not buying it:

1,343 BEST Pants On Fire IMAGES, STOCK PHOTOS & VECTORS | Adobe Stock

• Haha 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

Just curious if any of you guys have kids playing this driver and results thus far.  I know a few kids who were recently fit into the new cobra line and they supposedly gained an average of 20 yards using trackman numbers.   Most of these kids currently use TM so that kind of gain with driver is mind blowing if actually true.

Thanks for any input.

If someone gained 20 yards I guarantee you they would gained similar numbers with any other OEM head switch. Something was way off with their previous set up, you don't gain 20 yards off a particular head/shaft at this point unless something was WAY off with your previous setup. Technology is too close to allow that kind of huge disparity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

If someone gained 20 yards I guarantee you they would gained similar numbers with any other OEM head switch. Something was way off with their previous set up, you don't gain 20 yards off a particular head/shaft at this point unless something was WAY off with your previous setup. Technology is too close to allow that kind of huge disparity. 

Thats what I was thinking.  We have tried a lot of different heads out there with nominal gains.   I need to see this for myself.

It is interesting though, if it is a few kids and not 1-2, then there might be something to it 🤷‍♂️ Locally in Norcal, I see a lot of kids moving to TSi1 and seeing better results. For my son, I don't think it is quite 20 yards but I do see a bit of an increase, mainly due to increase roll. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kekoa said:

Thats what I was thinking.  We have tried a lot of different heads out there with nominal gains.   I need to see this for myself.

I would ask about carry only and compare the heads.  Trackman, unlike Flightscope, fitters can manipulate surface speeds to get better results.  A trick sleazy fitters use to sell a new driver if you don't understand all the numbers.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 4

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

2 hours ago, kekoa said:

Thanks for any input.

My 9YO out drove another local kid (Jr Rad Speed) by 10 yards or so last month. They’ve been the same size and distance since they were 6. His dad asked to see our driver/shaft combo mid round lol. 

The increase distance isn't coming from the head.

.830 COR = .830 COR   ...no matter how you look at it.

Now...I have seen big distance gains by changing loft.  It looks like the Jr. Radspeed "recommended" lofts by age group are lofted upwards for the age groups.  Also...I think the stock Cobra shaft is ~41gm or so.  This may be where the gains are coming from.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kekoa said:

Thanks for any input.

Funny on the timing of this post.  I’ll try to lay out for you what we have found over the last month or so.

I snagged a 10.5 XB on eBay for a decent price a few months back, intending on it being a Christmas gift for my 10yo daughter.  She had been playing the F9 jr for about 20 months, and we had been through a parade of shaft options before settling on an LA Golf Reign Silver 40L (quality shaft for her 69-74 mph swing range).  We were in an Air Speeder R35 before that, and it got a little whippy.  My 8yo son has it now, and it is a good fit for his 64-69 mph swing.

Both her and her brother have had some mechanical issues since spring, when they completed their last series of lessons.  I knew a new driver head wouldn’t solve that much, but The XB seemed to be a more stable head than the F9 jr—and it was.  Dispersion was a bit better in our small sample size, but she still wasn’t getting back the 20 yards off the tee she had lost over the summer.  No magic dust in that pretty Peacoat-colored Xb.

In another thread (maybe the driver shaft thread?), I posted some of this and a couple of the fellas suggested the TS1—saving 9-10g of weight seemed like a good idea.  Coupled with the Air Speeder R2 40 shaft, I decided to give it a go.  Initial hits at the range were good, and my 8yo son seemed to get on with it as well.

Perhaps I am impulsive (documented on the junior golf club maniac thread), but I trusted what the brain trust had to say on WRX—one of them I’ve bought his child’s hand-me-down clubs from on two separate occasions, and I consider him to be on the leading edge of junior club and ball fitting on the girls side of things.  I sold the XB and both F9 jr drivers, and replaced them with the TS1.  

I also took a hard look at their mechanics and got them in front of a pro who specializes in junior golfers on Monday.  Going by his changes, I enforced these things during our practice session.  I think this helped more than the new (but used) driver heads/shafts, but the head sure did it’s part.

We just got home from a long-ish session at Big Shots, and the Flightscope gave out readings I have been looking forward to reading for some time, although the machines weren’t 100% accurate by any means.

Dispersion was very good, and they both registered the best carry numbers they ever had on a machine… 15 yards farther than her best carry with the XB.

I’m not sure how much was due the swing changes, or how much was due to clubhead/shaft changes.  But what I did see was that the XB was about 10g heavier than the TS1 (but g heavier than the F9) and it didn’t really go any farther than her F9.

4 hours ago, leezer99 said:

There's a kid at our club that has a full bag of TM except for driver.  He plays the Cobra Radspeed and absolutely pounds that thing.  He works with GG up at Westlake.

I watched parts 1 and 2 of this GG video the other day--working with a 10 yo girl and getting more out of her drives.  Got some things out of it.

6 minutes ago, MB19 said:

I watched parts 1 and 2 of this GG video the other day--working with a 10 yo girl and getting more out of her drives.  Got some things out of it.

There are two other coaches at that range that are better with juniors IMO.  Steve Holmes and Rich Greenwood.  Obviously not the stable that GG has but develop top juniors in SoCal.  But they also don't charge $1,000 per hour.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

20 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

There are two other coaches at that range that are better with juniors IMO.  Steve Holmes and Rich Greenwood.  Obviously not the stable that GG has but develop top juniors in SoCal.  But they also don't charge $1,000 per hour.

Glad to see there are affordable, better alternatives to spending $1K of that hard-earned CREAM.  Have mercy.

Things still going good with the boy's coach?  Seemed like you guys had a good thing going.

39 minutes ago, MB19 said:

Glad to see there are affordable, better alternatives to spending $1K of that hard-earned CREAM.  Have mercy.

Things still going good with the boy's coach?  Seemed like you guys had a good thing going.

Things have changed for the better. 

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:48 AM, kekoa said:

Thanks for any input.

Is the gain for average drive or there best drive.

this driver has a big sweet spot so the distance is very consistent and because of that you may see a big gain on average drive.

The average drive over the course of a round is what you want to focus on.   Some drivers are great for a few holes but are hard to hit and that robs you of a lot distance over a round.

Edited by tiger1873

3 hours ago, Golfingdawg19 said:

My daughter plays all Cobra woods and hybrids because I'm a HS golf coach and we get good discounts through Cobra. I have been very pleased with the quality of the Cobra clubs we have used. She has the Radpseed driver and it works well for her. She is around 80-82mph with the driver and gets it out there 200-210. At that speed or any lower speed you aren't really going to see a big difference between one driver head and another. I've been to multiple fitters and they have all told me the same thing. I've also tried multiple heads with my daughter and didn't see any real difference. As a general rule, the higher the club head speed is the more variation you will see with heads and shafts. When my daughter got fit for irons back in Feb, the fitter told me that his job was really easy. There were only a couple shafts that were even an option at her clubhead speed. I just moved her from a senior flex to a regular flex shaft. I didn't see any real gain in overall distance but the new shaft causes a higher ball flight which means for carry yards.

Which iron and shaft did she end up with? 

I'm also finding that choices for junior girls are more limited than boys.

Edited by mrshinsa

if they gained 20 yards could be more efficient with Cobra along with a better shaft fit. Its nothing to do with the head. (maybe they went skinny on weights to lower the weight)  OEM to OEM you will not see those kinds of jumps with out the engine change. The Cobra are known to be uber forgiving perhaps getting better ball speed from mishits. Lots of factors but I wouldn't buy this at all. 

• Like 2