One ball rule

So I understand that if it applies, I can’t switch between a Callaway and a Titleist. Or from a Callaway Chrome Soft X to a Callaway Chrome Soft. But I’m confusing myself in trying to figure out if you could switch from Chrome Soft X to Chrome Soft X with Triple Track. I would think you could, but then I think that you couldn’t because they are registered separately?

My understanding, and it could be incorrect, is that if it is on the conforming ball list separately it is a different ball.  Same as the Pro V1 white and yellow are separate iirc.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed 9* Fujikura Platinum Speeder 4S

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

New Level PF-2 5-PW DG105 S300

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* DGS200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

The triple tracks seem to be separate entries so you can't switch from a regular one to a triple track. But you can switch from a normal yellow Chrome Soft to a yellow Truvis as long as they're otherwise the same version.

https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

• Thanks 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
D & 3W: ST 180 / 3i: MP-H5 / 4-PW: MP-4 / 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: Hi-Toe / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Thanks all. I know I will probably NEVER come across this rule, but I still like to try to understand the different ones.

57 minutes ago, sui generis said:

Only to those who cannot be bothered to discover why G-4 exists. 🙄

I’ll bite, since I am sure you and a few others can give the reasoning..why does G-4 exist? Or what happened that caused the rule to be implemented?

13 minutes ago, WestCoastGolf said:

Thanks all. I know I will probably NEVER come across this rule, but I still like to try to understand the different ones.

I’ll bite, since I am sure you and a few others can give the reasoning..why does G-4 exist? Or what happened that caused the rule to be implemented?

Good question, but no guessing required. It's explained in G-4. 🙂

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=cp&section=rule&rulenum=8&subrulenum=7

• Like 3

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

1 hour ago, sui generis said:

Well I’ll be. Sometimes they have thought of everything…but now a follow up question, I get that Callaway has the regular and the TT listed separately on the conforming list; does that mean they are different golf balls? I always thought they were the same just one is blank and one has TT. Why is it ok to take the blank and put the TT lines on it, but not just use a TT?

5 minutes ago, WestCoastGolf said:

Well I’ll be. Sometimes they have thought of everything…but now a follow up question, I get that Callaway has the regular and the TT listed separately on the conforming list; does that mean they are different golf balls? I always thought they were the same just one is blank and one has TT. Why is it ok to take the blank and put the TT lines on it, but not just use a TT?

Don't know.

Equipment Rules are not my thing. Keeping up with playing Rules keeps me busy enough. 😉

A visit to Golf House in New Jersey where golf ball testing happens would be a good field trip.

• Thanks 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

3 hours ago, WestCoastGolf said:

Simple practicalities. The rules set a framework so playing the game can't be gamed. Ball manufacturers often simply make cosmetic changes to a ball because that is what the market appears to be interested in or what manufacturers seek to interest the market in. The USGA/R&A are not responsible for deciding whether manufacturer choices in differences in their marketed balls are substantive or cosmetic, only whether it complies with the overall specs. And if it looks different (eg colour) it is different for the purpose of the one ball local rule. 

• Thanks 1

I had a thread on this topic back in 2014. Included in that thread was this now old 2013 Golf Digest article by David Fay:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/david-fay-bifurcation-rules-of-golf

There have also been comments that the rule came about partly due to ball contracts  with the top players. Because of the contract, they couldn’t change balls during a round and didn’t want others to be able to as well. 

• Like 1

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist TS3 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

'so the game can't be gamed' = cheaters

Thanks @mark m for that point to the past and the honest fact that the 'one ball rule' has been dictated, not by integrity for the game, but by the financial concerns of the ball makers.  As far as i can learn, balls must conform to 3 considerations: size, weight and shape. Any markings or color are permitted, as likewise construction whether 1,2,3,4 or 5 pieces, 1 or 2 covers, etc. Spin is measured and listed but is not part of the conformation identity.

The list of conforming balls is 61 pages long each page has 22 balls = approx 1300 balls, and is updated each month, since the ball makers need to keep feeding the masses with nonsense differences.   

more here:  https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

If i can choose any conforming ball (assuming a pro tour with the Local Rule in place) on the first tee, why can't i choose any other conforming ball on the 2nd tee?  You, my fellow competitor, have exactly the same right.

What would the golf world say if the USGA decided that golf pros MUST only play blade type irons, any brand OK?   Since blade irons represent, to some, the epitome of performance should not the pros use only those and certainly not the cavity backs, the game improvement shovels, and god forbid, a 9 wood rather than a #6 blade iron?

It's all about $$$$ Antip.  Just forget integrity, or logic, on tour.  Full disclosure: this rule will (probably) never affect me!  I might hope the Rule will someday dictate my ball consideration, but at this stage of life, not likely.

Scope to change ball type during a hole, in the absence of the one ball rule, was considerably enhanced by the 2019 rules. Now the ball can be changed anytime the ball is being dropped (and when the equivalent rules apply on the putting green), and if preferred lies is in place (very common at least in the winter months and in some places year round) any ball coming to rest on the closely mown can be changed every time. For sure, the people with the skills to exploit this most are the pros - so the one ball rule makes greater sense now for them than it ever did. And there is no doubt in my mind it helps steer the ball manufacturers in the (better) direction of producing the best "all round" ball. 

• Like 3

The rule makes a great deal of sense to me. I'm no where near the level of the pros, but even for me playing a ProV1x (or even a left dash or dot) for par 5s, and a ProV1 on par threes and short par fours would make at least a slight difference. For the top level pros it could become ridiculous ... I can see them carrying four or even five different balls, with different distance and spin characteristics, customized for whatever particular hole they were playing on any particular course (these guys will do anything to get even the slightest edge).

The rule means (to quote Shania Twain, the great golf rules philosopher hahaha) "you gotta dance with the one that brought ya". Switching partners mid-dance isn't fair.

Edited by bobfoster

Titleist TSi3 10.25* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4 - PW ~ KBS $-Taper 120

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 ball

1 hour ago, jobin said:

If i can choose any conforming ball (assuming a pro tour with the Local Rule in place) on the first tee, why can't i choose any other conforming ball on the 2nd tee? 

You didn't read G-4 did you? 🙄

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

I can see them carrying four or even five different balls, with different distance and spin characteristics, customized for whatever particular hole they were playing on any particular course

Thank you, Bob, for seeing the obvious. The "obvious" which was there for the ruling bodies all along, but completely escapes the "rules am stupid" crowd. 

• Like 1

What's interesting is, this is a model local rule "for use only in competitions limited to highly skilled players (that is, professional competitions and elite amateur competitions)".   Yet, for some odd reason, other model local rules have been chastised in this very forum as not being considered actual rules of golf.  In fact, some even believe "Every local rule you put into place makes the Game of Golf easier to play".  Hmmmm....and some still say the game of golf is not bifurcated.

3 hours ago, jobin said:

'so the game can't be gamed' = cheaters

Thanks @mark m for that point to the past and the honest fact that the 'one ball rule' has been dictated, not by integrity for the game, but by the financial concerns of the ball makers.  As far as i can learn, balls must conform to 3 considerations: size, weight and shape. Any markings or color are permitted, as likewise construction whether 1,2,3,4 or 5 pieces, 1 or 2 covers, etc. Spin is measured and listed but is not part of the conformation identity.

The list of conforming balls is 61 pages long each page has 22 balls = approx 1300 balls, and is updated each month, since the ball makers need to keep feeding the masses with nonsense differences.   

more here:  https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

If i can choose any conforming ball (assuming a pro tour with the Local Rule in place) on the first tee, why can't i choose any other conforming ball on the 2nd tee?  You, my fellow competitor, have exactly the same right.

What would the golf world say if the USGA decided that golf pros MUST only play blade type irons, any brand OK?   Since blade irons represent, to some, the epitome of performance should not the pros use only those and certainly not the cavity backs, the game improvement shovels, and god forbid, a 9 wood rather than a #6 blade iron?

It's all about $$$$ Antip.  Just forget integrity, or logic, on tour.  Full disclosure: this rule will (probably) never affect me!  I might hope the Rule will someday dictate my ball consideration, but at this stage of life, not likely.

Weird take. If I was a ball maker wanting to see the most money come in, I would not be pushing the one ball rule at all. I am sure they would love to see multiple types of balls played on each hole. 

33 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

some still say the game of golf is not bifurcated.

And, it will rightly be said that "bifurcation" exists when TV golf aka the PGA Tour or a similar business/entertainment entity publishes its own set of Rules. Until then, the concept of Local Rules is what makes it possible for the Rules of Golf to guide the game from here to Timbuktu. 

• Like 3

On 11/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, bobfoster said:

The rule makes a great deal of sense to me. I'm no where near the level of the pros, but even for me playing a ProV1x (or even a left dash or dot) for par 5s, and a ProV1 on par threes and short par fours would make at least a slight difference. For the top level pros it could become ridiculous ... I can see them carrying four or even five different balls, with different distance and spin characteristics, customized for whatever particular hole they were playing on any particular course (these guys will do anything to get even the slightest edge).

The rule means (to quote Shania Twain, the great golf rules philosopher hahaha) "you gotta dance with the one that brought ya". Switching partners mid-dance isn't fair.

Funny, isn’t it, why some can understand the 14 club limit but cannot understand the value of a one ball type limit.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 6:21 PM, jobin said:

Comparing the "one ball rule" to this is wayyyyyyy off. 

Allowing players to switch balls hole to hole would be like allowing everyone to carry 3 different sets of irons at all times. They can hit the MB 7 iron when they need to work the ball, the CB 7 iron when they need a little more forgiveness, and the GI 7 iron when they need that extra distance. Who cares if they exceed the 14 club rule... The game must be gamed right!

On 11/14/2021 at 4:53 PM, bobfoster said:

You carry 14 ball-whacking implements which you may use at your discretion, why not be able to carry 5 or more marques of balls?

As an alternative, how about a limit of 30 balls to be carried, of any variety? That'd be a good rule for me, it'd lighten my bag about a third. Besides, isn't it argued that mixing and matching balls is horrible for consistency? 

17 minutes ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

You carry 14 ball-whacking implements which you may use at your discretion, why not be able to carry 5 or more marques of balls?

As an alternative, how about a limit of 30 balls to be carried, of any variety? That'd be a good rule for me, it'd lighten my bag about a third. Besides, isn't it argued that mixing and matching balls is horrible for consistency? 

30 balls? What, are you nutso-cuckoo? I've never started 18 with anything more than a half dozen, at most a dozen. Do you lose, like a lot of balls or something?

And why not let people carry five or more? Because a great deal of the fun in golf comes precisely because of the limiting rules. You have to choose how to optimize. 14 clubs may seem like a lot, but it is actually quite a restriction (Phil would likely carry 18 or 20 - four or five wedges and at least two drivers). You have to choose one ball, and it is always a trade-off between distance and workability. 

Yes, I do think sometimes the R&A/USGA go a bit overboard. Thought the wedge groove rules and the (current) driver shaft length rules being talked about are a bit over the top. But mostly, I really get pleasure in playing within the confines of the RoG. I don't take breakfast balls. I don't do foot wedges. No putt is a gimmee. I'll take penalties on myself. My scores (for better or worse on any given day) are actual scores. I get a lot of joy out of that.

Titleist TSi3 10.25* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4 - PW ~ KBS $-Taper 120

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 ball

5 hours ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

why not be able to carry 5 or more marques of balls?

I suspect that you and 99% of the folks who inhabit this forum will never, ever be exposed to the the limitations of G-4. 😉

And here I am going, why would you want to play a different ball on purpose, during the round. Same ball leads to consistency, knowing it's characteristics, distances, effect by wind, etc...

Callaway Mavrik 9* Fujikura Pro2.0 6.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Srixon ZX5 Irons (4-AW) / Vokey SM8 56*, Callaway, 64*

30 minutes ago, Imp said:

And here I am going, why would you want to play a different ball on purpose, during the round. Same ball leads to consistency, knowing it's characteristics, distances, effect by wind, etc...

Imagine how many different golf balls Bryson James Aldrich DeChambeau would have in his bag. 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sui generis said:

Imagine how many different golf balls Bryson James Aldrich DeChambeau would have in his bag. 🙄

While I am imagining that I can’t help but imagining him over every shot calculating the effect the wind, dew, humidity, temperature, air density, would have on each ball and which would maximize his chosen performance for that particular shot.  

He would still be on the first hole trying to select his club and ball of choice for his tee shot when it got dark and the rest of the field was finished with the round.

Imagine the choices when these are your stock yardages

6CD5DEA6-8563-4502-9A1B-049561C6AC36.jpeg

Edited by Shilgy

My two holes in one both came on par 3 courses and are thus not legit.

After decades of playing, I'm still waiting for my first "real" one.

I've got an albatross or double eagle, but anyway we look at it, that's a hole in two.

So here is how the absence of a one-ball rule in casual golf affects me.

I play the Pro V1x, and really nothing else...but starting next year, I'm going to play a Penfold Heart on all par threes.

If I do make an ace, I want something a little different to mount on the plaque.  

Ping G425___1, 5, 7, 9-woods 

Hogan UiHi___3, 4, 5-irons  

Hogan PTx Pro___ 6, 7, 8, 9-irons, PW 

Hogan Equalizer II Texas Grind___50, 54, 58°

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball