2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Lexi's putting. Where does she go from here?

Socrates

The thing that changed my putting entirely was the switch to side saddle.  I'm always surprised that it has never caught on really in the big leagues.  I made the switch over a winter hitting putts on a 4ft putting board and probably hit a couple thousand over the winter and I've never looked back.  You wouldn't think it would take that long to make the switch when you're that good, but I'll just keep championing for it until they make it illegal some how.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• 3 weeks later...

I really like Lexi, but her swing will not hold up through the years.  She's young now and can get away with those deep divots but not so much later in life.  As far as putting, the outlook is not so great for her level.  She's got to find a way to get some confidence.

Driver:  Ping G430 LST 9.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 F 50* and S 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

10 hours ago, wjdpar1 said:

I really like Lexi, but her swing will not hold up through the years.  She's young now and can get away with those deep divots but not so much later in life.  As far as putting, the outlook is not so great for her level.  She's got to find a way to get some confidence.

I agree with her deep divots. As she gets older she will for sure have some joint issues. 

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

4 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

I agree with her deep divots. As she gets older she will for sure have some joint issues. 

I'm fairly certain she is aware of it.  One reason she is hitting the irons she does (lots of sole width).  You can also see it in her practice shots.  When she gets under pressure, she reverts back to the deep divots.  In time, I'm sure she will get better at shallower divots.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

So Lexi putts lights out with Bubba yesterday. Carries the team in fact .    

i ask this as a guy who does not know. But is it possible that she is more comfortable playing with the guys ? Or do you think the partner format just takes pressure off ?  If she putted like that day in and out , she’d be hard to ever beat. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 11/17/2021 at 6:51 AM, Simon Kearns said:

Context: 2021 LPGA season 

#1 in GIR

#138 in Putting Average (over 2 strokes per round more than Inbee)

Choices:

1. Ignore it (and continue to earn $1-1.5 mln per year)

2. Make a change.  a. Putter (eg armlock) b. Stroke (eg Stockton) c. Coach (eg Kenyon) d. Mental state (eg Rotella) e. Practice (eg Burke's 100 put drill)

In order to change, she requires the commitment to make that change, as well as the mental and physical skills to be a top 20 putter.

At 26, after 10 years playing in the top flight, I guess she can't/won't/doesn't need/ or even doesn't have the skill set to make that change.

Yes ... #1 GIR. Fourth longest driver on the LPGA - and usually in the fairway, good with FWs and long-mid irons (now and then great), and even has a solid wedge game. All that is missing is putting. 

I've always been a fan. The girl's got game. And is just so engaging. There are some PGA and LPGA golfers that I'd never want to meet. The just seem arrogant, or cold, or just plain unpleasant. Then there's others that make you think you'd totally love to have a beer with them. She's one of those.

The putting is (IMO) purely mental. I doubt changing her putter or her stroke would do anything. Going to an armlock or something wouldn't do anything unless it helped her believe it would help her putt. She can putt. Was watching her yesterday, and her short game (wedges, and even putting) carried Bubba on several holes. But there is no pressure in the silly season. 

Her current putting stroke actually works fine when she gets her brain out of the way. And she's surely already done tens of thousands of putts on the practice green. But I saw Tiger (for instance), over the years, sink long (sometimes ridiculously long) putts on 17 or 18 on Sunday with an entire tournament on the line. Difference is that when he steps up to the ball, he believes he can sink it. I think when the pressure is on, Lexi just gets filled with doubts. And as anyone that has played for more than a few years knows, that's a good way to miss even five footers. 

Still, I'm not quite as cynical as some here are. I still have hope that she can put that final piece of her game together. She's still young, and could likely get access to the best sports psychologists out there. If she ever does get her putting together, given the strength of the rest of her game she could be one of the most dominant women on tour. Imagine someone that is long and straight off the tee, #1 in GIR, and has solid strokes-gained-putting numbers. 

I'm rooting for her.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

So Lexi putts lights out with Bubba yesterday. Carries the team in fact .    

i ask this as a guy who does not know. But is it possible that she is more comfortable playing with the guys ? Or do you think the partner format just takes pressure off ?  If she putted like that day in and out , she’d be hard to ever beat. 

Hit & Giggle event. Lexi is having fun and playing loose & freely.

When it COUNTS on the LPGA circuit and Lexi is trying to hold up the trophy on Sunday afternoon...the nerves show up on the back 9 on Sunday afternoon and we'll see some jerkiness in her hands in her putting stroke.

IMO...it's all mental and difficult to completely fix.

FWIW...Lexi seems to play well when her brothers are looping...Nicholas is on her bag this week.

Edited by KBong
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KBong said:

Hit & Giggle event. Lexi is having fun and playing loose & freely.

When it COUNTS on the LPGA circuit and Lexi is trying to hold up the trophy on Sunday afternoon...the nerves show up on the back 9 on Sunday afternoon and we'll see some jerkiness in her hands in her putting stroke.

IMO...it's all mental and difficult to completely fix.

FWIW...Lexi seems to play well when her brothers are looping...Nicholas is on her bag this week.

That’s why I don’t play tournament golf any more.  Too much pressure and it’s full on chipping yips.  

• Haha 1

MCC Align Midsize

On 12/9/2021 at 8:21 AM, SEP1006 said:

Yes, but most pros (in fact, a lot of amateurs), while always tinkering with their swings, also make major swing changes several times during their careers. Age forces you to. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Been there, done that.🤣

The odd thing is I've banished (for now) the putting yips.  Must be something about chipping.  Maybe I need 10,000 reps.  Yeah, right.

• Haha 1

MCC Align Midsize

2 hours ago, Socrates said:

The odd thing is I've banished (for now) the putting yips.  Must be something about chipping.  Maybe I need 10,000 reps.  Yeah, right.

We're playing in WET SLOP conditions now...so often when I'm 10 feet off the green...I'll either use my putter or hybrid to get the ball to the hole.

11 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

No pressure. It is like playing at home with the bros. Somewhat low expectations as well.  If she and Bubba end up top half of the field, most will consider it a "win" (she's a girl after all).  Perfect storm for her to play and putt well.

Yep. I agree.  Sad in my mind. I rather enjoy watching her play.  To have more natural talent than most ladies , and not be able to use it.   Well.  It’s hard to watch.  Remind me of Michelle W. Somehow. But who how it’s worse.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, KBong said:

We're playing in WET SLOP conditions now...so often when I'm 10 feet off the green...I'll either use my putter or hybrid to get the ball to the hole.

I've used a hybrid off the green for years. I've started to experiment with a 7 and 8 iron. They have a little less "pop" off the face, and a little more loft to get the ball to the green without getting too much air.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I've used a hybrid off the green for years. I've started to experiment with a 7 and 8 iron. They have a little less "pop" off the face, and a little more loft to get the ball to the green without getting too much air.

@KBong and @Shilgyyou can also hood a wedge.  Getting the heel up out of the muck helps prevent chunks by reducing the contact surface with the ground during impact.  You also get a little more spin and height on the shots.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I find the hybrid to be a little more consistent than a 7/8 iron....but ya gotta at times watch out for the pop of the hybrid as you mention.

I try to hit my hybrid with a putting stroke and take off a percentage of how long a putting stroke I need based on the pop off the hybrid face.

With the 7/8 iron....at times...you might get too much spin...so the ball won't roll out to the hole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

@KBong and @Shilgyyou can also hood a wedge.  Getting the heel up out of the muck helps prevent chunks by reducing the contact surface with the ground during impact.  You also get a little more spin and height on the shots.

At times I'll use a PW on longer pitch/chip and run shots.

And yes....I'll raise the heel and might hit my chip shots near the toe to have less club contact the grass to avoid the "chunks"

9 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

? How did I get brought into this? 🤔

The biggest thing that surprises me about Lexi and her putting is that I do not recall her ever trying to putt without the glove.

Edited by Shilgy

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

25 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

? How did I get brought into this? 🤔

The biggest thing that surprises me about Lexi and her putting is that I do not recall her ever trying to putt without the glove.

Because I'm an idiot.  I got wires crossed between you and @Argonne69.

• Haha 2

I saw that Lexi hired a mental coach and changed her caddie, which seems like a wise move given that she went after two sucker front pins on the 71st and 72nd holes at the US Open.

Any idea who the unnamed putting coach is? It always fascinates me how pro's are fine with telling everyone who their full swing instructor is, but loads of them are highly secretive about their putting coach. It's like admitting that you're seeing a putting coach is a sign of weakness which is really weird, at least to me.

43 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Because I'm an idiot.  I got wires crossed between you and @Argonne69.

In person we’re easier to tell apart.🤣

• Haha 4

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

I saw that Lexi hired a mental coach and changed her caddie, which seems like a wise move given that she went after two sucker front pins on the 71st and 72nd holes at the US Open.

IMO....17 & 18 weren't sucker pins.

Lexi just flat out chunked....likely wedges...her 2 approach shots on 17 & 18....about 20 yards short of the pins with wedge in hand.

On 17...the pin looked very accessible....middle of the green about 1/3 on the green from the front edge of the green.

18 .....I don't consider a sucker pin....based on where you're sitting on the leaderboard and if a par is necessary....just hit your "shortish" approach shot beyond the hole.

Shanshan, Nasa & Yuka all hit their approach shots beyond the pin.

Lexi fatted her approach well short into the bunker.

43 minutes ago, KBong said:

IMO....17 & 18 weren't sucker pins.

Lexi just flat out chunked....likely wedges...her 2 approach shots on 17 & 18....about 20 yards short of the pins with wedge in hand.

On 17...the pin looked very accessible....middle of the green about 1/3 on the green from the front edge of the green.

18 .....I don't consider a sucker pin....based on where you're sitting on the leaderboard and if a par is necessary....just hit your "shortish" approach shot beyond the hole.

Shanshan, Nasa & Yuka all hit their approach shots beyond the pin.

Lexi fatted her approach well short into the bunker.

The reason that I called those sucker pins is that they were playing into the wind and 18 in particular but maybe 17 too involved considerable risk to hit it close, especially considering the pressure.

As you stated, the other contenders played it safe and went long (all with smooth swings which suggests they took extra club). Lexi went full rip with a wedge which has absolutely no margin for error into the wind. Hit it slightly fat and the ball is slipping up the face and launching high without enough ball speed. Hit it slightly thin and it will spin too much and balloon.  If I'm caddying for her, I'm giving her an extra club or two and telling her to knock it down and don't worry about getting it close, which is what everyone else did.

33 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

The reason that I called those sucker pins is that they were playing into the wind and 18 in particular but maybe 17 too involved considerable risk to hit it close, especially considering the pressure.

As you stated, the other contenders played it safe and went long (all with smooth swings which suggests they took extra club). Lexi went full rip with a wedge which has absolutely no margin for error into the wind. Hit it slightly fat and the ball is slipping up the face and launching high without enough ball speed. Hit it slightly thin and it will spin too much and balloon.  If I'm caddying for her, I'm giving her an extra club or two and telling her to knock it down and don't worry about getting it close, which is what everyone else did.

I'm not buying any wind excuses.

If you watched the video...there wasn't much wind on 17 and 18 when Lexi was playing....not much wind seen blowing through the trees and on both holes...the flags on the pins were fairly limp.

Lexi simply didn't EXECUTE and hit 2 REALLY POOR approach shots short....about 20 & 15 yards well short of the pin...with likely PW's...maybe even GW's.

On hole 11...she had about a 35 yard pitch shot...chunked it maybe 15 yards.

At the end of the day...Lexi simply CHOKED with 9 holes to play with a 5 shot lead.

How does one leave a downhill 11 foot putt short on 18 for par when par was required to get into a playoff....SMH.

15 minutes ago, KBong said:

I'm not buying any wind excuses.

If you watched the video...there wasn't much wind on 17 and 18 when Lexi was playing....not much wind seen blowing through the trees and on both holes...the flags on the pins were fairly limp.

Lexi simply didn't EXECUTE and hit 2 REALLY POOR approach shots short....about 20 & 15 yards well short of the pin...with likely PW's...maybe even GW's.

On hole 11...she had about a 35 yard pitch shot...chunked it maybe 15 yards.

At the end of the day...Lexi simply CHOKED with 9 holes to play with a 5 shot lead.

How does one leave a downhill 11 foot putt short on 18 for par when par was required to get into a playoff....SMH.

Under pressure, her short irons get steeper with big divots and easy to hit fat.  It’s an issue that is similar to her putting yips. 

• Like 1

MCC Align Midsize

Putting is the least athletic thing a player does on the golf course. Struggles at her level are always mental, imo.

Margin for error is small, target is small, expectations are high. Pretty easy to get screwed up, I should think, when you're livelihood and self-esteem ride on whether or not you can make that "easy" putt.

When we miss a bunny, it's just a story to tell, yet we still feel nerves. I really can't imagine what it's like to struggle with rolling the ball for someone like Lexi, who competes at the pinnacle of the game.

• 2 weeks later...