Bandon and playing in the rain tips

mallrat

So I thought i’d start something on this. I know it gets brought up a lot but what are some of the hacks you guys have figured out for playing in the rain or specifically at Bandon?

A few things that I do…

- remove my head covers (just to make the bag lighter, they just get water logged.)

- bring zip lock bags (1 for my phone, wallet, keys and 1 or 2 spares for others and 1 for non rain gloves)

- I like to wear a light weight water resistant short sleeve wind shirt under a rain jacket for heavy rain days. 

- shorts under rain pants to protect against swampiness.

- after the round I pull my clubs and set the clubs against the bag right in front of the heater. 

Any hacks or tips I’m missing?

• Like 3

Generally good list. I'd add moving up a set of tees from what you'd normally play.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Before round:  Don't take wallet, keys, valuables.  except, Phone for those that need pics.  Grand Marnier in the flask.  Warm up by mentally and physically using an extra club/+ so you can swing slower/smoother.

The obvious: GOOD rain gloves; if you don't have a water resistant bag - then get a bag cover or a big plastic bag at least. Protect your range finder with a ziploc too.

The not so obvious:  a big plastic bag for an extra dry towel; anti fog spray + glasses 'towel/wipey thing' for glasses of any type - if needed.  Vitamin C/Zipfizz/other immunity system powders to keep you safe and with enough energy

After round:  Shoes on shoe drier; hot shower with stretching in shower - easy to get locked up/cramped; more VitC/other; jump under covers or continue to get warm in front of fireplace.  

personally, I don't think you need to move up tees, the course plays the same imo.  

• Like 1

It's been over 20 years, since, I played at Bandon, but, I have played in the rain a lot. Wool socks, along with waterproof shoes (boots, if the ground is really muddy.)  Hydrophobic base layers (ie. avoid cotton products, which absorb water), the same for the middle layers.

Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero for a wide brim rain hat.

As for the best rain gear that you can afford - if you know, you will use it, buy it, when you find a great deal.

I like to use one of the QB style hand warming pockets around my waist. You can keep a hand warmer in there as well (put you ball in there with the hand warmer at your own peril depending on the people you're playing with). I wear it just loose enough to slide around to my lower back while swinging and keep my hands in there while walking.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

I've found that convertible rain jackets (removeable sleeves) don't keep all day rain out that well.  The water ends up running in around my biceps, probably creeping in when I swing and have my arms up during my swing (at the top and finish).

Also, sometimes you'll take you jacket on and off a lot if it's relatively warm out, so the pull over style can be a bit of a nuisance.

Attach your rain hood at the beginning of the round, and keep it rolled/folded out of the way until you need it.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Hoo boy, this could be a long list...

Echo most of the sentiments above, but I will point out that the heavier rains at Bandon tend to come with heavy winds, so I tend to think of them together:

1. Forget the umbrella.  Wear your umbrella.

2. Rain gloves are standard equipment, usually two sets.

3. Just buy the Goretex.

4. If I know it's going to be raining, I'll take the big bag towel off and keep a small one in my pocket.  The big one is just going to turn into a sloppy, useless 10 lb weight.

5. Bandon Bucket hat works spectacularly, with the exception of very high winds.  For those, I tend to favor a beanie over my waterproof baseball hat.

6. I leave my wallet, keys, watch, etc. in the room.  Just take a $20 and slip it into a waterproof pocket or ziploc for on-course purchases.

7. Embrace the weather.  The courses play pretty much the same even when it's raining hard.  The exception is when you get rivers on the greens.  Free drop where you don't have to putt through a stream.

8. Skip the scorecard for the worst days.  Who cares what you shot during a 45+ mph howler where you have a hard time not falling over in your backswing...

9. Play old balls.  It never ceases to amaze me what magical arcs can occur to ball flights when you hit into a 40 mph cross wind.

10. Take a half set in a waterproof carry bag.  It also never ceases to amaze me what magical arcs can occur to Clic Gear carts in a 40 mph cross wind.  Even when they are lying on their side.

Edited by spud3
  • Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Don't 😉

Easier said for people who have been a lot vs someone who comes one or two times. But when the greens are gone and it's hitting you sideways there really is no point.

We played Bandon one year where they stopped sending people out for a bit - we were already out there and kept going, but the greens were ponds and streams and you couldn't putt at all, total waste of time, even the looking back on it anecdotes weren't good: hey remember that time it was really really really crap and we kept playing? Ya that was really crap.

We got hit with something similar a couple years later, it was the last round of the trip, so we just came off after 9 and got everything packed up and left.

Otherwise only 'top-tip' to add would be, if you struggle wearing two gloves, try cutting the pinky off the right one (assuming right-handed) or even the last two. For me as an interlocker it helps me 'find' where my fingers are at, doesn't feel as cumbersome, and is also something I use to help set up when taking my stance.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Mentioned above, but committing to rain pants at the start is a call I like to make. I prefer a rain pant that fits more like a regular pant and I will just wear boxer briefs under them or if it is cold  I wear long long johns or tights. Just don't need the extra layers of clothes under the rain pants with big baggy legs whipping around in the wind. 

If I am unsure I bring along shorts to change into if it gets too warm/dry for rain pants. 

• Like 2

I've played in the rain and cold a great deal.  To make conditions as comfortable as possible, I rely on Zero Restriction Gore-Tex Tour Jacket, matching Gore-Tex Tour pants, and a Goretex hats, I have 2.  My shoes are Gore-Tex too.  I take my strong umbrella along, multiple new gloves and towels to keep grips and gloves dry as possible.  Weather in certain parts of the country and Oregon changes quickly.  To some people, it feels a touch frigid due to the ocean affect, so layering help.  All that still makes playing in the rain kinda fun. 

Mind you, I spent $700 on my Zero Tour rain gear back in early 2k.  It's still like new, and it's been in some down pours. A worthy investment.  What ever you wear, make sure it breathes.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Aside from great rain gear, layering, socks etc. I'll add that I've tried lots of different headgear. I've settled on a hooded rain jacket with a Footjoy Staydri baseball style hat. The hood on the jacket is adjustable to fit snug and doesn't impede sightlines, can be up or down depending on conditions, and wont blow off in the wind. I've used the bucket and sombrero style hats and was never happy with the brims hanging too low, or performance in the wind.

• Like 1

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

Ah, a favorite topic for the Bandon crowd.  It's all been covered above, but my favorite moves are the ziplocs and the hooded waterproof jacket.  I've settled onto a $100 Columbia OutDry that is pretty much a lightweight shell and keeps EVERYTHING out.  I will usually roll out the Sunice goretex for regular rain, but if the Pacific wants to knock me over, it don't want to worry about hats or anything.  Go out there and grind.  It's the best.

On 11/23/2021 at 1:22 PM, Edaw68 said:

1. Buy a bunch of expensive goretex rain gear.

2. Gain 50 lbs of fat so the rain gear doesn’t fit.

3. Buy another set of expensive rain gear to cover your newer, larger, sexier self.

4. Have your spouse get mad and put you on a diet, lose weight.

5. Bring both sets of rain gear so the golf gods say “look at this guy, we’ll show him”.

6. Enjoy the sunshine.

Lol, classic! Yea, poor you had to play in perfect weather this week at Bandon.