2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Monterey Peninsula course recommendation

AustinLefty

I'll be spending a few days with friends near Pebble Beach next month. We have tee times set for Spyglass on Wednesday the 8th, and Spanish Bay on Friday the 10th. We're not staying at the resort so we'll have to call Pebble on Wednesday and hope the have availability for Thursday the 9th. I wanted to ask for wrx member opinions on the following courses I've been looking at as a back up plan if we can't get on Pebble,

Poppy Hills- Looks like a great course unfortunately they have two holes with temporary greens, and another hole that they're working on and shortend considerably so this ones probably out.

Pasatiempo- Is it worth the 45 minute drive and $325 green fee

Quail Lodge- This one was recommended by a client of mine and looks to get great reviews

Black Horse-Gets very good reviews as well

Thanks in advance for everyone's help with this.

Poppy Hills, Blackhorse, and Bayonet all great. I personally would pass on Pasatiempo. Played it earlier this year and had a really poor experience. Had a tee time and they let 2 groups of members tee off in front of us. Everything backed up and took almost 6 hours. Course was in great shape but I don’t think the fee is worth it. 

I'll second the "skip Pasatiempo". It's a fabulous Alastair MacKenzie course, and super strategic. That said, it's slow, and it's really not worth the $325 they're asking for public play.

I'd skip Poppy with the two temporary greens and shortened 12th.

Bayonet & Black Horse are solid but difficult. If you want something less pricy with spectacular views, try Pacific Grove. The first nine is "blah". The back nine is pure links golf along the shores of Monterey Bay. From 11 tee through 18 tee, you get stunning views, and a suprisingly interesting golf course. Not crazy hard, but if the wind is blowing, it's the full links experience.

Quail Lodge is a nice golf course, very resort style. It has a couple of quirky holes, but also fun.

Also out in Carmel is Carmel Valley Ranch. Not the longest but great course conditions and pretty fun layout.  Only caveat is sometimes the only public tee times are in the afternoon, to book something earlier you needed to be staying on property or a member. Not sure if that is still the case.

• Like 4

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

In my opinion PG is so-so even on the back. Its strictly the view on the back 9 that is spectacular so you don't notice that the course is just ok. Which is fine, but if money isn't an issue, and you can only play one or two other courses, there are better options. I would play Poppy with its two temporary greens and one shortened fairway over PG. For sure if you have an NCGA membership. Also, PG is always so jammed packed, partly because its cheaper and relatively easier, and obviously the back 9 views. We gave up playing there... just wasn't fun playing that slow on a mediocre course. You'll get your views on a much, much better course when you play Spanish Bay (and of course if you get on Pebble.)

If you want cheap there is Monterey Pines owned by the Navy. Its short, but they keep it in good condition and the holes are fun. Only negatives...it sits between the airport, the fairgrounds, and a couple RV sites so the surroundings aren't much to look at. It can also get pretty crowded so can be slow as well.

If you go to Bayonet/Black Horse, be sure you check Golfnow. It just isnt worth the price they charge through the website. On a side note, I play there a lot and man those greens on BH were pretty fast this last weekend with all the sun and warm temperatures; adding to some already very challenging greens. Maybe we'll get some rain and they'll soften up a tad.

I'll throw another one out there: Carmel Valley Ranch, designed by Pete Dye. Just played it last week and it's not really long, a par 70, but they keep it in immaculate condition. At least it is now. Fun course with some great views from elevated tees. Enjoyed it so much we're going back tomorrow. They only have afternoon tee times available to the public, so that makes it tough with the time change.

Since we have some public memberships around Monterey, giving us a rotation of six courses, we just haven't gotten around to playing Quail Lodge. I've heard they keep Quail in immaculate condition, but I can't imagine the course and conditions are that superior to Carmel Valley, and Quail has really jacked up their green fees during the pandemic.

Good luck and have fun

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Carmel Valley Ranch the couple of times I played it. Keeping the ball in front of you takes precedent over power.

Bayonet and Blackhorse are nice but overpriced at the full rate imo.

Pasatiempo is really nice and extremely difficult, but not worth the price of 325 and that does not even include the cart. Last time I played there a couple of years ago the greens were insanely slow and I have heard more recent reports that said the same thing. The course is not meant to play that way imo. I have played Pebble and Spyglass once time and I played better in those rounds than the 3 rounds I have played at Pasatiempo.

I hope you get on at Pebble. I played their on Labor Day and I called right at 8am the day before and got the very last spot open lol.  Weather was as perfect as you can ask for Pebble 70's sunny and a light breeze. It made a great day that much better.

• Like 2

Pasa is one of my favorite courses in the world but it's getting crazy expensive.  A couple years ago you could play for around $150 at special times.  $325 is very steep.  That being said in my opinion it's miles better than the courses you have listed.  I also like it better than privates in the Bay Area such as Cal Club and Olympic.  I'm playing it next week and can't wait.

Edit:  I'll also add Pasa is special if you're into golf architecture and history.  If you want to play the course where the best architect who ever lived built his house, Pasa is your place.  Bobby Jones played Pasa and recruited Alister MacKenzie to build Augusta National.  He also built Cypress Point, Crystal Downs and other great courses.  If you're a golfer who doesn't value these things some of the other courses may be better.  The back 9 at Pasa has an amazing routing and some of the coolest greens/bunkering you will see anywhere.

Edited by GolfCarl
add info
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GolfCarl said:

Pasa is one of my favorite courses in the world but it's getting crazy expensive.  A couple years ago you could play for around $150 at special times.  $325 is very steep.  That being said in my opinion it's miles better than the courses you have listed.  I also like it better than privates in the Bay Area such as Cal Club and Olympic.  I'm playing it next week and can't wait.

Edit:  I'll also add Pasa is special if you're into golf architecture and history.  If you want to play the course where the best architect who ever lived built his house, Pasa is your place.  Bobby Jones played Pasa and recruited Alister MacKenzie to build Augusta National.  He also built Cypress Point, Crystal Downs and other great courses.  If you're a golfer who doesn't value these things some of the other courses may be better.  The back 9 at Pasa has an amazing routing and some of the coolest greens/bunkering you will see anywhere.

I also really like Pasa and it is getting expensive but I still enjoy playing this MacKenzie course.

• Like 1

I've played CVR and Quail many times and I do enjoy playing both courses and they're usually in outstanding condition.

You could always play The Hay at Pebble for a really short nine holes.

I have to go back and play The Hay after Spy or SB because I still have free passes from last year and this year and I don't want to waste them.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I'm meeting up with the two friends of mine this weekend to review our options. I already made a tee time at Black Horse that we can cancel up til 24 hours out. My personal preference would be Pasatiempo or Quail Lodge if we can't get on Pebble. I'm not terribly concerned with the cost, since this trip is a 60th birthday present for one of my buddies and I from our wives we might as well do it right. My only concern with Pasatiempo is the level of difficulty. Two of us are 14 or 15 handicappers. Hopefully thats not more course than we can handle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinLefty said:

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I'm meeting up with the two friends of mine this weekend to review our options. I already made a tee time at Black Horse that we can cancel up til 24 hours out. My personal preference would be Pasatiempo or Quail Lodge if we can't get on Pebble. I'm not terribly concerned with the cost, since this trip is a 60th birthday present for one of my buddies and I from our wives we might as well do it right. My only concern with Pasatiempo is the level of difficulty. Two of us are 14 or 15 handicappers. Hopefully thats not more course than we can handle.

I find Pasatiempo to be more challenging around the greens than with length.  The greens are pretty fast for the classic slopes.  As long as you play fast nobody will care.  I recommend starting with the white tees and moving up if needed.  Honestly it's a treat.  If you're coming from a ways away it's a no brainer.  Can't wait to hear how your round was.

30 minutes ago, GolfCarl said:

I find Pasatiempo to be more challenging around the greens than with length.  The greens are pretty fast for the classic slopes.  As long as you play fast nobody will care.  I recommend starting with the white tees and moving up if needed.  Honestly it's a treat.  If you're coming from a ways away it's a no brainer.  Can't wait to hear how your round was.

You'll be fine playing Pasa as mentioned by GolfCarl.

Here's a few pics including  MacKenzie's house

Pasatiempo 1218.JPG

Pasatiempo 1227.JPG

Pasatiempo 1253.JPG

Pasatiempo 1229.JPG

• Like 4

I would pass on Blackhorse. It was an absolute dog track when I played it last year and a very uninspiring (i.e., boring) layout. Maybe it has improved since then but tee boxes were totally chewed up, troughs of mud, tire tracks everywhere, etc…Bayonet is better but definitely a much tougher course. I know it gets a lot of praise since they’ve held a bunch of tournaments there but think it’s pretty overrated.

Quail Lodge is a great course in terms of condition/facilities. A few holes that are “quirky” as mentioned above but overall a friendly layout.

Poppy is great even if a couple of the holes are under construction. If you can the NCGA rate or a twilight time I’d definitely still play it but wouldn’t pay the full rate.

3 hours ago, AustinLefty said:

I played Pasatiempo a couple of times this summer.  One round was extremely slow while the other was a bit earlier and not bad.  So I would say that the earlier time you can get the better.  It is a really nice course and fun to play.  As mentioned the greens are difficult but the fairways are wide and the rough is playable so I don't see any problem at all for a mid teens handicap playing there.

14 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

I’m gonna take some heat for this but it’s gotta be said.  When people complain about the price(green fee),it immediately sends red flags about how people  “rate” or “enjoy” courses. 

The green fee is irrelevant in rating or liking a golf course.  It shouldn’t have anything to do with it.  I also think people are forgetting that Pasa is not a pure public golf course.  The golf course is semi-private.  They have members who have paid alot of money to have the course to themselves during prime  times.  The public adds to their bottom line but the green fee is MEANT TO KEEP THE PUBLIC AWAY FROM PASATIEMPO.  

Its expensive because they want to limit the riff-raff and let’s be honest, with post-covid golf there’s a lot of riff raff.  They can absolutely have this policy and it’s their right being a semi-private club.  

That said, Pasatiempo is a crown jewel in California golf history.  It absolutely is a wonderful golf course filled with history and golf architecture.  It’s had its ups and downs with the current drought situation but to not play Pasatiempo would be a real shame.  Don’t balk at the green fee. It is what it is.  It’s a pure challenge, an engaging walk through history and a course that can absolutely make you love/hate golf.  They have burger dogs like Olympic Club and the range could be a little bit nicer, but I’d rather play Pasatiempo than any course in Monterey other than PB, Spy, Spanish and Poppy. 

You are 100% correct.  It's just with recent massive inflation I have become the riff-raff.  Great architecture is rarely available at a good price.

My comment on the price is more related to my experience at the course rather than the conditions or architecture.  For $325 I would expect to have my 10:20 tee time honored from a well respected course.  While at the putting green next to the first tee, the tee time before us teed off.  Then 8 members stroll up and say they got put in front of us?  Guess what happened at the first par 3...2 foursomes waiting to tee off.  I know this is just my experience, but it was totally in their control.  Should never happen.  So they won't get my money again, but to each his own.

• Like 1

Having played Pasa only once, I thought it was a fantastic track.  I have it high on my list of best courses.  That said, I've never felt so unwelcome as a public member.  If you're not the kind of person who lets little things get under your skin and can play fast if necessary, it really is an amazing course.  I'd venture to say a bucket list course due to its history and the layout.

Edited by buzlin

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

i have found the comments on value vs. course interesting.  I live in the area and the only reason that I played Pasatiempo a couple times this year was that I knew a member and played for $90.00.  LOL I personally would not pay $300 to play that course!  But to each their own and I totally understand why someone with a different perspective would pay that money to play there. 

I mostly play golf to try to hit the ball well and score well so course architecture and ambience or whatever are nice but don't really matter very much to me.  I can't tell you why Pasatiempo is a better course then Harding Park or San Juan Oaks or Seascape or Pajaro Valley for that matter.  It does not matter much to me what course I play I just like to golf...  LOL my dad grew up in the depression and he taught me the value of a penny and how to pinch it!

Based on the agenda you already have it is clear that you are willing to pay for good golf.  If I was in your shoes I would play Pasa.  I’ve tried to fit it in on my few trips out there and just couldn’t make it work.  Every time I see pictures of it online I kick myself for not figuring out a way to play.  It is “on my list” and will for sure play it next time I’m out there.

I have played Pacific Grove which is another mentioned here.  I really enjoyed it but set the right expectations.  Front 9 is quirky golf through houses. You are pretty much paying $60 to play 11-17 out by the ocean.

Edited by tim_harris
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 9:43 PM, AustinLefty said:

I'll be spending a few days with friends near Pebble Beach next month. We have tee times set for Spyglass on Wednesday the 8th, and Spanish Bay on Friday the 10th. We're not staying at the resort so we'll have to call Pebble on Wednesday and hope the have availability for Thursday the 9th. I wanted to ask for wrx member opinions on the following courses I've been looking at as a back up plan if we can't get on Pebble,

Poppy Hills- Looks like a great course unfortunately they have two holes with temporary greens, and another hole that they're working on and shortend considerably so this ones probably out.

Quail Lodge- This one was recommended by a client of mine and looks to get great reviews

My wife and I were at Pebble Beach a couple months ago in early September. We took a day and drove down to Pasatiempo. I can say unequivocally that we both LOVED it. Definitely worth the drive, and we both agreed that if we ever get out to Pebble again we are adding Pasa to the itinerary. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Also, in response to the couple of posters above who had bad experiences with the members at Pasatiempo I'll mention the following. When I booked our tee time, I was able to do it a few months in advance through their website. I booked for a twosome for 8:30 am on a Sunday morning. 

A couple months went by, and out of the blue I receive an email "thank you for your reservation". I open it to see that my tee time was set to 9:40 am. I called them, and the guy at the pro shop said "that happened because the members have the tee from 9:30 and earlier. The online system shouldn't have let you book that time, we need to work out the kinks". Ok, not a huge deal, as long as I have a tee time reasonably early in the morning I'm good. I can definitely understand that members should get some priority over the public. 

I'll also mention that when we got there, the service was good. And while we were hanging out practicing on the putting green, a couple of the members actually chatted it up with me and were very pleasant. And I get that it's kinda a luck of the draw thing, some may run into less-than-friendly members, and others like myself got a better experience. But honestly, it was a great day. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

10 minutes ago, Roody said:

Also, in response to the couple of posters above who had bad experiences with the members at Pasatiempo I'll mention the following. When I booked our tee time, I was able to do it a few months in advance through their website. I booked for a twosome for 8:30 am on a Sunday morning. 

A couple months went by, and out of the blue I receive an email "thank you for your reservation". I open it to see that my tee time was set to 9:40 am. I called them, and the guy at the pro shop said "that happened because the members have the tee from 9:30 and earlier. The online system shouldn't have let you book that time, we need to work out the kinks". Ok, not a huge deal, as long as I have a tee time reasonably early in the morning I'm good. I can definitely understand that members should get some priority over the public. 

I'll also mention that when we got there, the service was good. And while we were hanging out practicing on the putting green, a couple of the members actually chatted it up with me and were very pleasant. And I get that it's kinda a luck of the draw thing, some may run into less-than-friendly members, and others like myself got a better experience. But honestly, it was a great day. 

I second your comments!  The members and staff that I met at Pasatiempo were all very friendly and my experience playing a couple of rounds there was excellent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 6:43 PM, AustinLefty said:

Let me know how the PB call-in works out, I'm heading down there after Christmas and we're going to try to do the same thing since we're staying at my buddies house in the area instead of the resort.

Our trip is Harding Park, Pasa and hopefully PB or Spyglass (We're starting by driving down from Sacramento).

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

My vote would be to play Quail and then go get dinner at Mission Ranch. If you purely want a golf experience then I'd either drive to Pasatiempo or play Spyglass twice. I'd pass on CVR. It will be in nice shape, but the layout is odd. One of those places you play once to say you've done it. But maybe the novelty of some of the huge downhill shots is lost on me. 

A couple people in our group played Bayonet this past Tuesday (Nov. 30th). It seems that course maintenance has deteriorated. Fast, bumpy greens are not a good combination. Fairways not in great shape. The housing development has become more intrusive. I haven’t played there in at least two years, so this is all second hand knowledge. 

I would certainly look for a discounted rate if I were to play there. 

I played Spyglass a couple months ago. It was in excellent condition. Spyglass in the winter can play brutally long. But since it’s been about a month since it’s rained around here, it should be just fine.

• Like 1