Courses That "Have Your Number"

dvq9654

Anyone else have a course that just seems to have your number? For me, it's a local muni that in theory isn't very challenging, but I just cannot play well there. Every round seems to unfold in the same manner: get off to a good start / play well though 7 or 8 and then completely fall apart thereafter. I play poorly because after holes 7/8 there are tons of dog leg rights with tree lined fairways. As someone who often draws the ball too much, I just can't start the ball on a line that will hold the fairway let alone avoid the trees on the left. As soon as I start missing it left, it gets into my head and I seem to fall apart. 

If you've faced a similar issue, how were you able to overcome it? For those who draw the ball, how have you adapted to play holes like this (obviously, I'm trying to draw it less, but that's a work in progress...)? Just curious about others' experiences. 

It's not a big deal and I can play elsewhere, but I want to be able to play this course well given ego. I also think being able to score well on all types of courses is important to being a better golfer. 

Typically the strategy is wrong or you're just facing a lot of shots you don't feel comfortable with (i.e a bunch of sharp dogleg rights with trouble left).

Growing up playing junior golf a friend of mine used to dominate this one course in our area and I always played it like crap.  Then another course in our area he always struggled to play it well and I would play it under par, no problem.

Years later, knowing what I know now, my friend and I were talking about it and he had a very conservative tee shot strategy in general while I was the one that was more willing to pull out driver.  And then when I got on Google Earth (you can also try Pro Visualizer software), I started to see the big issue.  The first course I mentioned simply requires a golfer to play more conservatively and lay-up off the tee.  You could use driver on just about every hole, but the landing areas are just too small and there's too much trouble if you miss those landing areas.  

Conversely, the second course was well suited for hitting driver and you were going to lose a lot of strokes by laying-up.

As for the shots that don't fit your eye, it's best to practice on working on them.  I think the common mistake is to change your ball flight pattern.  I think one is better off sticking with the same ball flight and just getting comfortable with the shots that the course presents.  

RH

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 9:02 PM, RichieHunt said:

Typically the strategy is wrong or you're just facing a lot of shots you don't feel comfortable with (i.e a bunch of sharp dogleg rights with trouble left).

As for the shots that don't fit your eye, it's best to practice on working on them.  I think the common mistake is to change your ball flight pattern.  I think one is better off sticking with the same ball flight and just getting comfortable with the shots that the course presents.  

Thanks for the response. Agree this is partially strategy (e.g., pulling wrong club) and partially just not being comfortable with tight dog leg rights with trees in my start line / trouble left. I think the bottom line is I need to get my driver and 3 wood to curve less, not necessarily the opposite direction, to play well on courses with tons of dog leg rights. It's something I've been aware of for a while, but this course really shows the need for a soft draw with a repeatable start line. 

Wickenburg Ranch - Big Wick in Wickenburg, AZ

Only played it twice, but didnt break 90 either time as a single digit cap. Played the black tees 72.9/140 at 7059 yards, that plays a bit shorter because of some downhill tee shots. So on paper not the toughest course around. Fairways are decent width, but theres not much rough before the ball rolls off into the desert. A little bit of draw or fade spin on the wrong side hill lie can get you in the rocks. I badly want to par the 246 yard par 3 pictured below, but I am 3 over on my 2 attempts. It's a par 71, so 6 par 3s. Average length is 205 yards with the shortest being 183. So that becomes a bogey factory for me. And 3 of the 5, par 5s are 600+ yards, so it's difficult to makeup strokes out there. I'll be back. 

wickenburg-ranch-golf.jpg

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Yes, Granite Links in Quincy, MA. I have played it probably 10 times and now know every hole by heart. Yet it still kicks my butt every time I play it. It's a links course on top of the highest point in Boston. The wind is ALWAYS blowing 15 mph or better and there is tons of trouble on every hole. Love to play there though, so I'll be back for more punishment soon!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Rio Hondo in Downey, CA.

Not even remotely a tough course but for SOME reason, it just effs with me. I've put up a couple OK scores there but for whatever reason, I just expected my game to be trash there - and it usually was. 

Thank god I moved out of LA and probably never have to play it again 😂

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Wood Ranch CC in Simi Valley.  My father was a member there for 8 years when I was younger.  I could never break 80 there as a kid growing up.  He sold his membership when I was 17.  The course has a ton a of OB left and right.  There are ditches/ravines that run across the fairways on a few holes.  There are water hazards that come into play on 6 or 7 holes if I remember correctly.  If that's not hard enough, there are tons of green side bunkers and the greens are slick.  I was lucky enough to play a round there a few years ago as a guest.  Shot 80.  So to this day, I can't claim I've ever broken 80 there.  Just a tough course that requires accuracy and great ball striking over length.  Being able to work the ball both ways is a bonus. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Just now, aenemated said:

Rio Hondo in Downey, CA.

Not even remotely a tough course but for SOME reason, it just effs with me. I've put up a couple OK scores there but for whatever reason, I just expected my game to be trash there - and it usually was. 

Thank god I moved out of LA and probably never have to play it again 😂

I've played there 3 times, most recently about 2 months ago.  You're right, it's not a tough venue, but there's something about the course that just messes with my head.  It's def a first shot course meaning that you must put the ball in good position off the tee or it's going to be a very long day.  Greens tend to be quicker than most of the public courses out here.  Last time I shot a 78 there, but I always feel like I can score better.  On the other hand, Los Amigos is a breeze.  Wide open fairways, slow greens and not much OB.  Played there during the summer and I shot what I consider an easy 74.  Didn't have to grind much.  

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

On 11/15/2021 at 8:39 PM, dvq9654 said:

It's not a big deal and I can play elsewhere, but I want to be able to play this course well given ego. I also think being able to score well on all types of courses is important to being a better golfer. 

Sounds like that course is a bigger deal than you're willing to acknowledge.  Maybe there's a part of you that gets in your way, so you give in and fall apart under the pressure of it all.  Lots of people, on many fronts, get in their own way of progress.  I haven't played Rio Hondo in a long time.

I am comfortable with difficult courses that most people find intimating.  Probably why I still play courses using 2i-LW and never touch woods or putter.  The last time a friend that I don't play often with, asked me why I wasn't using driver on 6400yd tees.  I said I want to see if I can still step up to the challenge.  It's easy to fall apart, or give up on myself.  What it meant was I had to hit 2 iron off the tee, pure, every time, and it puts a lot of pressure on each shot.  I either step up or end up with some ungodly high score.  Overcoming challenge or obstacles gives me enjoyment, no matter how big or small; they make me stronger and better, plus there's NO quit in me.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Hubbard Golf Course, UT.  I played here on a regular basis from 1994 to 2005 and never felt it had my number.  It's one of the longer courses and has super fast greens. 

I stopped playing golf altogether in 2005 and picked it back up about 1.5 years ago.  The course seems to have my number now!  For whatever reason I just cannot put together a decent 18-hole round here.  I've played some of my best rounds this year on other courses in the area, but all of my highest scores came at Hubbard.

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I've played there 3 times, most recently about 2 months ago.  You're right, it's not a tough venue, but there's something about the course that just messes with my head.  It's def a first shot course meaning that you must put the ball in good position off the tee or it's going to be a very long day.  Greens tend to be quicker than most of the public courses out here.  Last time I shot a 78 there, but I always feel like I can score better.  On the other hand, Los Amigos is a breeze.  Wide open fairways, slow greens and not much OB.  Played there during the summer and I shot what I consider an easy 74.  Didn't have to grind much.  

I've shot 34 on the back ... but that followed an absolutely inexplicable 45 on the front. I seriously don't think I've ever broken 40 on the front and have no idea exactly why. 

Los Amigos is fun. But a LA muni I freakin love is Skylinks. I always played well there. El Dorado too.

Just now, aenemated said:

I've shot 34 on the back ... but that followed an absolutely inexplicable 45 on the front. I seriously don't think I've ever broken 40 on the front and have no idea exactly why. 

Los Amigos is fun. But a LA muni I freakin love is Skylinks. I always played well there. El Dorado too.

I played Skylinks for the first time earlier this year.  It's a tough layout and also a first shot course.  If you can't get off the tee, well then, you're screwed.  I was struggling that day so I wasn't able to enjoy the course, lol.  I'll make it a point to go back and play again.  I enjoyed Recreation Park 18 though.  Plenty wide and the weather was absolutely gorgeous in May.  Haven't played El Dorado but plan to eventually.  Is Lakewood CC worth it? 

Edited by phizzy30

34 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I played Skylinks for the first time earlier this year.  It's a tough layout and also a first shot course.  If you can't get off the tee, well then, you're screwed.  I was struggling that day so I wasn't able to enjoy the course, lol.  I'll make it a point to go back and play again.  I enjoyed Recreation Park 18 though.  Plenty wide and the weather was absolutely gorgeous in May.  Haven't played El Dorado but plan to eventually.  Is Lakewood CC worth it? 

I played Rec Park exactly one time ... and it was a nearly 6 hour round. They just packed it super full and it was complete misery - told the boys I'd never go back. Like, I barely recall anything about the course because I was just so annoyed at waiting 5mins over every single shot. The only reason I didn't just walk outta there is I was playing well 😂

Skylinks and ElDo are pretty similar layouts, so it makes sense I dig 'em both equally. 

But none have anything on my beloved Destroyer, just a couple more exits off the 405 from those (assuming you're headed south). It's not the easiest to get on since they give first access to tee times to military and first responders but if you can swing it - play it. Super fun layout, always great conditions and a total steal at like $60 or something. And you might get to watch some fighter jets land on the runway beside 16/17/18. Which are great closing holes. 

Seriously - 16 at Destroyer is one of my favorite holes I've played, ever. 

I actually never got out to Lakewood. I know my old LA group did a couple times but for whatever reason, I never made it.

Edited by aenemated

On 11/17/2021 at 10:40 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Sounds like that course is a bigger deal than you're willing to acknowledge.  Maybe there's a part of you that gets in your way, so you give in and fall apart under the pressure of it all.  Lots of people, on many fronts, get in their own way of progress.  I haven't played Rio Hondo in a long time.

I am comfortable with difficult courses that most people find intimating.  Probably why I still play courses using 2i-LW and never touch woods or putter.  The last time a friend that I don't play often with, asked me why I wasn't using driver on 6400yd tees.  I said I want to see if I can still step up to the challenge.  It's easy to fall apart, or give up on myself.  What it meant was I had to hit 2 iron off the tee, pure, every time, and it puts a lot of pressure on each shot.  I either step up or end up with some ungodly high score.  Overcoming challenge or obstacles gives me enjoyment, no matter how big or small; they make me stronger and better, plus there's NO quit in me.

you are a remarkable player 

• Haha 1

On 11/17/2021 at 10:40 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Pah 2 iron ain’t no thing

I get my mashies and gutta perchas out when I find Kiawah playing a bit too easy off the golds.

Edited by hammersia
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, milesgiles said:

you are a remarkable player 

Not really.  Just face the devil many times in my life, and I don't let him win.  A tough golf course is nothing compared to lead flying around ya... 😛

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX