2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MacGregor "Custom Limited" - very rare perhaps?

rmc26

Here's what I can tell you. The serial on mine says "SO" which I read as special order, mine have "89" as next sequence which I take to be year 1989. Then the rest is just a job number. Mine say "Jack Nicklaus" on muscle and stamped "Custom Limited" in corner but they are basically square toed Murifields. Have same diamond stamps on grooves, same chrome finish along with same fonts for stamps as yours.

Your set looks to be made as a special order in 1990. The diamond back muscle is a redo of an earlier model. My set is gorgeous but they are not from a vintage production run, my guess is yours is the same situation.

• Like 1

Straight out of the custom shop--- Forgings appear to be the same as 57 thru 59 Diamondbacks--- Back in those days you could order and spec out any style head you wanted along with the stampings you wanted. Those faces look like they sit exactly like a VIP at address

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Here's what I can tell you. The serial on mine says "SO" which I read as special order, mine have "89" as next sequence which I take to be year 1989. Then the rest is just a job number. Mine say "Jack Nicklaus" on muscle and stamped "Custom Limited" in corner but they are basically square toed Murifields. Have same diamond stamps on grooves, same chrome finish along with same fonts for stamps as yours.

Your set looks to be made as a special order in 1990. The diamond back muscle is a redo of an earlier model. My set is gorgeous but they are not from a vintage production run, my guess is yours is the same situation.

Nard if I remember correctly you posted yours and they are exactly what you said

• Like 3

Classic MacGregor, Spalding, and Wilson (the real Wilson from the old days) irons always leave me feeling nostalgic when I see them.

Strange to remember that none of them was a straight golf company like Callaway, Ping, TaylorMade, and Titleist are today.

They were all general sporting goods manufacturers, and they all sold inexpensive model golf clubs in department stores,

but their real pro shop clubs were magnificent.  Their pro advisory staffs were star studded. 

At least I remember them that way.

• Like 2

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Thank you all! Really cool to know when they were made. 

While I'm not looking for them to be rare. My question remains, why the "Custom Limited" as all the others are "Tourney Custom". 

In all the internet images and forums, I've not found another example of these. 

Thank you for the insight. 

12 hours ago, strug'-a-ling said:

Classic MacGregor, Spalding, and Wilson (the real Wilson from the old days) irons always leave me feeling nostalgic when I see them.

Strange to remember that none of them was a straight golf company like Callaway, Ping, TaylorMade, and Titleist are today.

They were all general sporting goods manufacturers, and they all sold inexpensive model golf clubs in department stores,

but their real pro shop clubs were magnificent.  Their pro advisory staffs were star studded. 

At least I remember them that way.

And all 3 of those companies had extensive custom departments in those days. You could have built any way you wanted. I think the best I ever saw was a couple of sets of 53 grind Top Flites with 67 Bird on the Ball Stampings. Wilson also had some interesting grinds in those days. I can remember one of the hustlers loved 53 Top Flites. My Old man was mostly a Wilson and Mac dealer but had connections at Spalding as well. He ordered the 53 grinds in fact 2 sets heads only. Soon as they got in they were sent to Harold Dale's shop in Charlotte for installation of you guessed it Hogan Apex Shafts. Now as far as Hogan I do not know anything at all on their custom stuff because for some reason my old man did not like Hogan himself and would not sell Hogan stuff except Apex shafts and he had a outside source for them. When Hogan put out his letter about Apex shafts in non Hogan clubs it did not stop my old man and his Hogan dealer bud one bit. The guys just bought complete sets of Hogan irons and switched shafts. I said it on here one day there is no telling how many Hogan heads unhit were in Harold Dale's shop when he passed away. Those serious hustlers that played golf for a living did not care about spending money. After all it was the tools of their trade

Maybe some of you Hoganistas can share some light on Hogan Custom stuff because I would be interested to know

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

And all 3 of those companies had extensive custom departments in those days. You could have built any way you wanted. I think the best I ever saw was a couple of sets of 53 grind Top Flites with 67 Bird on the Ball Stampings. Wilson also had some interesting grinds in those days. I can remember one of the hustlers loved 53 Top Flites. My Old man was mostly a Wilson and Mac dealer but had connections at Spalding as well. He ordered the 53 grinds in fact 2 sets heads only. Soon as they got in they were sent to Harold Dale's shop in Charlotte for installation of you guessed it Hogan Apex Shafts. Now as far as Hogan I do not know anything at all on their custom stuff because for some reason my old man did not like Hogan himself and would not sell Hogan stuff except Apex shafts and he had a outside source for them. When Hogan put out his letter about Apex shafts in non Hogan clubs it did not stop my old man and his Hogan dealer bud one bit. The guys just bought complete sets of Hogan irons and switched shafts. I said it on here one day there is no telling how many Hogan heads unhit were in Harold Dale's shop when he passed away. Those serious hustlers that played golf for a living did not care about spending money. After all it was the tools of their trade

Maybe some of you Hoganistas can share some light on Hogan Custom stuff because I would be interested to know

Big Stu, you always have awesomely shared knowledge of clubs from almost a Circa's.

Question: Not so far back as 1990, did MacGregor really have an emphases on custom ordered clubs? I want to think they were really struggling back then to stay in business after Jack pulled out. I think "Limited Custom" ordered clubs would be pretty rare in "mint" condition.

Makes me want to go down to my basement and look at my PT2 CF4000, Tommy Armour REG 985 and  DX sets that have similar Diamondbacks.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, weakputt said:

Big Stu, you always have awesomely shared knowledge of clubs from almost a Circa's.

Question: Not so far back as 1990, did MacGregor really have an emphases on custom ordered clubs? I want to think they were really struggling back then to stay in business after Jack pulled out. I think "Limited Custom" ordered clubs would be pretty rare in "mint" condition.

Makes me want to go down to my basement and look at my PT2 CF4000, Tommy Armour REG 985 and  DX sets that have similar Diamondbacks.

I think in that era Macgregor was in a decline product wise and yes was struggling. They tried to go the cavity back way and made some CBs but also made some horrid ones. Also they did not promote like the upstart companies like TM and Callaway. In that time frame the big box golf stores were florishing and were getting deals and promotions from the new companies. I think the demise of Macgregor Spalding and Wilson was due to local club pros not being able to be competive from a price standpoint. I can remember the first big box golf store in our area around 80 or so. I remember my old man saw the writing on the wall as far as equipment sales. He told a friend of his it was time to retire of course he was about 67 at the time. I think and this is just IMHO that if someone had bought Macgregor and really loved the line and had done some advertising and promoting it would have survived--- Look at Wilson today they have risen from the ashes so to speak--- When Golfsmith first bought them they had some quality forged irons but did not promote them as much as outside brands like TM and Callaway which I found puzzling. Then the quality slipped and they became a cheap brand. Even their Chinese made golf bags frankly sucked. As of 90 I think all of the big 3 the custom departments were virtually gone Wilson may have struggled on a little longer. It was the start of investors not caring about tradition and quality just a quick buck

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Very interesting stuff, Stu.  The 1953 Top Flite grind was even ostensibly re-introduced as a cast club called the Top Flite Legacy.  Those familiar with the real thing said that they weren't at all the same.

• Like 1

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

3 hours ago, strug'-a-ling said:

Very interesting stuff, Stu.  The 1953 Top Flite grind was even ostensibly re-introduced as a cast club called the Top Flite Legacy.  Those familiar with the real thing said that they weren't at all the same.

Nope no where near it I hit some and they felt horrible

I have a 2 2-irons and 3-LW set of pretty Custom MacGregor MBs, with trademark diamonds on the face and their special ferrules.  They look similar to the Ops, but no signature. 

That set was custom-made and fitted to me, back at 2k, when MacGregor was still doing real custom fitting and club building.  What a detailed and involved process and wasn't cheap.  I haven't seen anything comparable since.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

6 hours ago, Bigarch said:

I screenshot these pictures off of another post somewhere here on WRX because I thought they were cool and I wanted some friends to see them that don't frequent this website.  The pictures are not mine.  But it gives some insight.  For custom stuff... you could pretty much tell Mac, Spalding, and others to stamp any darned thing you wanted to on your clubs.  Check out these custom orders for Weiskopf, Norman and Price.

My favorite story in this regard involves a friend of mine who had custom woods made by Spalding with his name stamped on the soleplates.  A friend of his hit them and wanted a set just like them.  So he wrote down the serial number and sent it to Spalding and said make me a set of woods just like these.  Eventually his new clubs arrived.... with my buddy's name stamped on the sole plates. 😆

GN.jpg

NP.jpg

TW.jpg

Those order forms are pretty cool.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, Bigarch said:

I screenshot these pictures off of another post somewhere here on WRX because I thought they were cool and I wanted some friends to see them that don't frequent this website.  The pictures are not mine.  But it gives some insight.  For custom stuff... you could pretty much tell Mac, Spalding, and others to stamp any darned thing you wanted to on your clubs.  Check out these custom orders for Weiskopf, Norman and Price.

My favorite story in this regard involves a friend of mine who had custom woods made by Spalding with his name stamped on the soleplates.  A friend of his hit them and wanted a set just like them.  So he wrote down the serial number and sent it to Spalding and said make me a set of woods just like these.  Eventually his new clubs arrived.... with my buddy's name stamped on the sole plates. 😆

GN.jpg

NP.jpg

TW.jpg

These are fantastic. I think we all have an idea about what average swingweight might be, or what a particular pro might go for, but look. Norman with all his power and athleticism was a pretty average D2. Price, with the exception of Watson, maybe the best quick tempo swinger there's ever been is a relatively light D0. And Weiskopf, whose swing everyone wanted back in the day is E2 - and don't you dare put the grips on! So many different ways to swing 'em.

Edited by SteveNZ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveNZ said:

These are fantastic. I think we all have an idea about what average swingweight might be, or what a particular pro might go for, but look. Norman with all his power and athleticism was a pretty average D2. Price, with the exception of Watson, maybe the best quick tempo swinger there's ever been is a relatively light D0. And Weiskopf, whose swing everyone wanted back in the day is E2 - and don't you dare put the grips on! So many different ways to swing 'em.

Thing I found interesting with Norman's specs was that even though he was pretty tall (6'), it looks like he's playing a 35" PW. Weiskopf, at 6'3", has his PW at 35.75" (without grip). In fact, looking at his specs, I could play Weiskopf's set readily. I like the small progression between the short irons.

So, Tom, if you're reading this, feel free to post 'em to me...🤣

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SteveNZ said:

That E2 for Weiskopf is without the grips on.  Adding grips will bring that down to more pedestrian levels.  🙂

Possibly even a little light...   <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

45 minutes ago, SteveNZ said:

Doh, of course 🤦‍♂️

Elkington is known for using clubs around that, so at first I didn't think much of it.  <shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors