2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Reduce the fields in golf tournaments?

Titleist99

No sport generates more charity dollars than the PGATOUR. Billions, that's why they're tax exempt. Everyone gets paid from the executives to the players..... for me, as long as they entertain me on the weekends .....I'm good! Keep up the good work PGATOUR......IMO

**Golf is a real sport now.....what's sad is, the players and most of the fans can't handle the prosperity. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

No sport generates more charity dollars than the PGATOUR. Billions, that's why they're tax exempt. Everyone gets paid from the executives to the players..... for me, as long as they entertain me on the weekends .....I'm good! Keep up the good work PGATOUR......IMO

**Golf is a real sport now.....what's sad is, the players and most of the fans can't handle the prosperity. Just my opinion.

Most people here have probably seen this, but it is worth a re-read:

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10089803/pga-tour-tax-breaks-help-fuel-giving-which-falls-industry-standards

48 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Golfers tend to keep it together better than say NBA NFL lol

Except TW

He get in enough “pancake”, drug, car crash, dui, scandals for the whole tour combined 🤣

• Like 1

As a fan, I guess you could call me a front runner. I really don't care if I see the guys from 70-125 on any given week. It has no impact on me whether they are in the field or not. It wouldn't bother me in the least if they had a monday qualifier for the last 10 spots and have a no cut event of say 70 guys. Take the Top 60 and have 60-125 play in for ten spots. It isn't likely good for the development on the tour overall but the cream will rise. New players that are going to become "famous" will be playing and moving up every week. Stagnate guys will continue to slip.

No tournament suffers from having too few guys in the field Wednesday and Thursday. I am not worried about guys trying to become tour players. They are either good enough or not. Their play determines whether they should be in the field or not. Look at the top college guys. The ones that are good enough make it and the ones that aren't play Korn Ferry or lower levels. You get the ocasional late bloomer but it doesn't happen often.

11 minutes ago, johnseg said:

As a fan, I guess you could call me a front runner. I really don't care if I see the guys from 70-125 on any given week. It has no impact on me whether they are in the field or not. It wouldn't bother me in the least if they had a monday qualifier for the last 10 spots and have a no cut event of say 70 guys. Take the Top 60 and have 60-125 play in for ten spots. It isn't likely good for the development on the tour overall but the cream will rise. New players that are going to become "famous" will be playing and moving up every week. Stagnate guys will continue to slip.

No tournament suffers from having too few guys in the field Wednesday and Thursday. I am not worried about guys trying to become tour players. They are either good enough or not. Their play determines whether they should be in the field or not. Look at the top college guys. The ones that are good enough make it and the ones that aren't play Korn Ferry or lower levels. You get the ocasional late bloomer but it doesn't happen often.

But here’s the thing,

Harris English came out on tour in 2011. He has really fluctuated anywhere from owgr 40s in 2014, hovering from #50-100 to dropping back down to #300 as recently as 2019

And now, here he has clawed his way up to

#13 in the world. 2 wins last year. 

The system works great. I don’t know how he supported himself in the famine times but we have to take our hats off to this guy.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, R5Two said:

Billy Horschel wore octopus pants on a golf course. I saw it. 

Someone who makes that decision has lost their entitlement to have opinions. I disagree with everything he says ever. 

The octopus pants were actually the only thing about BHo I ever liked 🤣

Behold, the octopus shrine ; )

467B17CB-57DE-4E15-A5A7-C86DB212E5E8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

But here’s the thing,

Harris English came out on tour in 2011. He has really fluctuated anywhere from owgr 40s in 2014, hovering from #50-100 to dropping back down to #300 as recently as 2019

The system works great. I don’t know how he supported himself in the famine times but we have to take our hats off to this guy.

But even still English has only had one season outiside of the Top 125 in FedEx Cup so he had the chance to earn. This year he is off to a terrible start so maybe he will be out again. Again, totally under his control.

Well he could do that under my system as well. The guys that are good enough and deedicated enough will make it no matter the system. It was obviously important enough to him to survive the lean years. Other guys may have bailed and the guys that would bail don't belong out there. You can use Cantlay as well. He struggled so much with injury  early now he is one of the top players.

Players will always get to where they should be based upon their talent and effort. It is just like on Korn Ferry when guys playing on the PGA drop down for the finals and take spots in the Top 25. John Huh was 153 and then dropped down to the KF Finals and finished 11th so he is back in.

I feel for guys that want to be PGA Golfers that don't make it but if they don't they aren't good enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cdnglf said:

Most people here have probably seen this, but it is worth a re-read:

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10089803/pga-tour-tax-breaks-help-fuel-giving-which-falls-industry-standards

I’ll translate  the article into cliffs notes.  

“ I’d rather them give the government $10 million more a year to waste, and I’m mad that they don’t “.  

as they said.  The tour isn’t a bake sale where everything is donated. They have overhead.  Need to pay prize money or else no show etc.  want to rewrite the tax code ?  Sure. Lobby away.  Until then , I’m 1000 % certain they’re inside the law.  Or else they’d have been pinched by now.  I mean that with all due respect and a smiley face 😀

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, R5Two said:

Billy Horschel wore octopus pants on a golf course. I saw it. 

Someone who makes that decision has lost their entitlement to have opinions. I disagree with everything he says ever. 

I like octopus pants.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

32 minutes ago, johnseg said:

But even still English has only had one season outiside of the Top 125 in FedEx Cup so he had the chance to earn. This year he is off to a terrible start so maybe he will be out again.

He might be out again in the future however due to his 2 wins last season English is exempt through the 2023/2024 season.

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

But here’s the thing,

Dumpster diving , 2 buck Chuck and day old sushi

24 minutes ago, R5Two said:

You take that back

Lol. I will not !  I’ve said my piece and counted to three ! 

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

One idea I'd like to see is a second cut after the 3rd round is over.  The way the cut is now after 2 rounds does serve it's purpose in that there have been many instances where guys make the cut on the number and go on to contend or win.

A second cut to say the top 30 (or maybe top 20 for the Masters) would create more drama on Saturday and more incentive to take risks for all players in the field on the weekend.

That said, TV coverage has a hard enough time covering enough shots of those in contention...so from a viewer perspective, I'm not sure how well it would work out.  But from the player perspective, I can see how more shots on the weekend would matter. 

Once you're in the top 30 or so to start the final round, there's pretty good incentive to go low with how deep the fields are.  Usually 30th is only a few shots outside the top 10, and a reasonable amount of shots outside the top 3 where the big money is. 

If you're starting the final round in 50th or worse...you could go low and maybe cash out an additional $75k???

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I’ll translate  the article into cliffs notes.  

“ I’d rather them give the government $10 million more a year to waste, and I’m mad that they don’t “.  

as they said.  The tour isn’t a bake sale where everything is donated. They have overhead.  Need to pay prize money or else no show etc.  want to rewrite the tax code ?  Sure. Lobby away.  Until then , I’m 1000 % certain they’re inside the law.  Or else they’d have been pinched by now.  I mean that with all due respect and a smiley face 😀

Nobody is suggesting they're breaking the law. 

47 minutes ago, LBB said:

One idea I'd like to see is a second cut after the 3rd round is over.  The way the cut is now after 2 rounds does serve it's purpose in that there have been many instances where guys make the cut on the number and go on to contend or win.

A second cut to say the top 30 (or maybe top 20 for the Masters) would create more drama on Saturday and more incentive to take risks for all players in the field on the weekend.

That said, TV coverage has a hard enough time covering enough shots of those in contention...so from a viewer perspective, I'm not sure how well it would work out.  But from the player perspective, I can see how more shots on the weekend would matter. 

Once you're in the top 30 or so to start the final round, there's pretty good incentive to go low with how deep the fields are.  Usually 30th is only a few shots outside the top 10, and a reasonable amount of shots outside the top 3 where the big money is. 

If you're starting the final round in 50th or worse...you could go low and maybe cash out an additional $75k???

So the other 40 or so guys that are cut on Saturday make nothing? Why are some stuck thinking only the top 30 or so matter?

Look at it this way….the equivalent to what you are proposing is that only the best player on the team hits in MLB because the fans only want to see the best over and over and over?  Only Durant gets to shoot for the Nets because the fans don’t want to see Harden shoot-bad example because I cannot stand Harden but I digress.  

How would these guys get better by being cut? Tiger finished t60 in his first event….he should have been cut after third round?

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

49 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

So the other 40 or so guys that are cut on Saturday make nothing? Why are some stuck thinking only the top 30 or so matter?

Look at it this way….the equivalent to what you are proposing is that only the best player on the team hits in MLB because the fans only want to see the best over and over and over?  Only Durant gets to shoot for the Nets because the fans don’t want to see Harden shoot-bad example because I cannot stand Harden but I digress.  

How would these guys get better by being cut? Tiger finished t60 in his first event….he should have been cut after third round?

MDF (Made Cut - Did Not Finish) is still in use, isn't it? Guys still get paid, but they don't play the fourth round.

16 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

MDF (Made Cut - Did Not Finish) is still in use, isn't it? Guys still get paid, but they don't play the fourth round.

It's no longer in use. The PGA Tour did away with it when they changed the cut line to low 65 and ties at the start of the 2019/2020 schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cdnglf said:

Nobody is suggesting they're breaking the law. 

The article suggested that they might not really qualify for non profit status I believe.  That was what I was referring to. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, miamistomp said:

Octopi are smart.  Some in aquariums are able to let themselves out of their tank , and then get into other tanks.  Eat  the fish And then sneak back.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, cdnglf said:

Even if the rule was not changed how would that better for the spectators?  Now they have have 15 groups on Sunday?  And many want to watch their favorite player.  Do you exempt the world top 10 from the Saturday night cut?  It’s the same reason match play is not that popular a format for tour events.  Too good a chance the crowd faves are gone early.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar