TM4me

3 hours ago, nsxguy said:

American Football League - Wikipedia

American Basketball Association (2000–present) - Wikipedia

The AFL had these things called 

Players 🤣 Like Joe Namath

Teams 😃 Like the Broncos Raiders and Dolphins

And tv contracts for 10 years 📺 

Thats the “leverage” I was talking about ; )

The PGL/Saudis?

2E29A83E-63A3-4445-983A-5A586FA4E2B0.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

The AFL had these things called 

Players 🤣 Like Joe Namath

Teams 😃 Like the Broncos Raiders and Dolphins

And tv contracts for 10 years 📺 

Thats the “leverage” I was talking about ; )

The PGL/Saudis?

2E29A83E-63A3-4445-983A-5A586FA4E2B0.jpeg

Already SHOWED you what they got - no need to post the same pic again.

How many times do we have to see it ? 🙃

Money Talks Painting by Peter Perlegas | Saatchi Art

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

SGL/PGL is not likely to grow televised golf, at least in the US.  Other than a handful of events, which includes the majors, the ratings are awful as they are.  Now, move more events offshore to Saudi Arabia, Belarus, or wherever, how many viewers are going to be watching at 1 am EST? Of course without the more famous players, even fewer people will watch the PGAT.  Without eyeballs, sponsors and endorsers will be less likely to spend their money on events or players.  With fewer dollars the purses on the “new feeder” tour, the PGAT, will attract fewer athletes.  Fewer athletes the PGAT will resemble the product of the 80s.  Then who replaces the famous players on the PGL/SGL?  So, yes OP, to the extent that anyone cares about televised golf now, fewer will care in the future.  

On 11/18/2021 at 6:41 PM, jmck said:

Guys, the PGL isn’t going to fly either, despite the smoke recently blown on a podcast by, uh [checks notes], the CEO of the PGL.

Here’s an interview with the same guy from Feb 2020 where he says:

1. He hasn’t actually spoken to any actual representatives of any actual current tours, despite his six years of hard and careful work or whatever.

2. The PGL is in fact backed by Saudi money. Gotta read all the way to the bottom for that one though, and, funnily enough, that’s the exact opposite of what it currently says in their FAQs.

3. The PGL will have a tour up and running by Jan 2022, which is, uh [checks notes], six weeks from tomorrow.

The most that’ll come of the PGL is someone like Keith Pelley will steal the bits and pieces he likes and try to make it fly as an occasional add-in to what the current tours currently do, exactly the same as happened with a ‘six hole team league’ in a ‘new and exciting format’ dreamed up by someone not named Keith Pelley.

Seriously, read their FAQs. That’s them putting their best possible spin on the state of things, same as on the NLU podcast. Besides from the blatant lie about no Saudi backing, read their FAQs and tell me what their plan is. To get enough big names to commit in advance to a tour which currently doesn’t exist and then take the actual current tours to court to allow it to happen? While the big names leave their fates to endless injunctions and decisions, unsure of their status on any tour while their primes slowly tick away? Good luck with that.

I think your info is out of date if you are referencing the Feb 2020 timeline.  I only say this so that we can establish a consistent understanding of the facts and then debate the non-facts after the...fact.:

1) He admitted to NLU he hasn't yet had the ear of Jay Monahan, but has been trying and has made reach out to the Players Committee (Rory) and says that the Players themselves have the power to make the changes if enough of them get on board.

2) He said at one point in the NLU podcast that they had a 600 mil commitment from M(r)B(one)S(aw) but then they decided sometime after that they didn't need blood money, and since withdrew from that arrangement (I believe after Feb 2020)

3) The PGL has not said they will be up and running by Jan 2022, but the Saudi-backed, Greg Norman league will be up and running by Jan 2022, which is again, confusing two different things.

If, after you've listened to the NLU Interview, you disagree with what I've said i'd be happy to discuss, but it doesn't sound like are well informed on the subject at this point in time.

1 hour ago, ChillyDipper said:

I think your info is out of date if you are referencing the Feb 2020 timeline.  I only say this so that we can establish a consistent understanding of the facts and then debate the non-facts after the...fact.:

1) He admitted to NLU he hasn't yet had the ear of Jay Monahan, but has been trying and has made reach out to the Players Committee (Rory) and says that the Players themselves have the power to make the changes if enough of them get on board.

2) He said at one point in the NLU podcast that they had a 600 mil commitment from M(r)B(one)S(aw) but then they decided sometime after that they didn't need blood money, and since withdrew from that arrangement (I believe after Feb 2020)

3) The PGL has not said they will be up and running by Jan 2022, but the Saudi-backed, Greg Norman league will be up and running by Jan 2022, which is again, confusing two different things.

If, after you've listened to the NLU Interview, you disagree with what I've said i'd be happy to discuss, but it doesn't sound like are well informed on the subject at this point in time.

This is my analogy. 

These leagues are like a tech startup telling Google 

“We want you to let your best engineers come work for us. So we can build a competitive platform. And try to take market share from you”

Google, I imagine would say, “No. Why would we?”

”Because we just raised billions and we will just go and try to hire them away from you”

Im thinking Google would be already acquainted with the competitive landscape. Already pay their best people well, and have non-compete agreements in place for their best people. But, seeing a possible threat, they would ramp up incentives for their best folks, and remind them that if they leave, they are burning a bridge to come back.

This “wanting to work with the pga tour”, to me, sounds like the above.

Now, they are presenting a product to potential recruits that they feel is very compelling. A more exciting format, more prize money, maybe some ownership.

But, to me, it sounds like it’s nowhere near compelling enough to get any top guys to leave the tour. Especially now that they will see they have more leverage and the tour looks like it’s going to increase incentives. 

These new leagues can do one of 2 things.

They can either start with one event. Something so big and cool with huge guarantees and a ridiculous purse. So that the top guys band together and tell the tour they have to let them play it “or else”

Or, they can actually take a long term approach, invest in recruiting young talent before they have gone pro. And current pros in the 20-100 owgr who might be swayed by some big guaranteed money. 

But to just go after Rory, Rahm, BD and the top guys in a way that they’d need to leave the tour for something so nascent and unproven?

I think that’s going nowhere. 

1 hour ago, ChillyDipper said:

I’m plenty well informed on this, and I have listened to the NLU interview. Read the interview I linked to again. He clearly, and I mean CLEARLY, says he expects to have the PGL up and running by Jan 2022. 

Frankly, seems to me that the guy has figured out how to cash a six figure paycheck (yes, from the Saudis) for promising something which is forever two years away, all the while traveling the world to play golf. That’s great work if you can get it, no doubt. But let’s be honest about what it actually is, and whether or not it’s actually going to result in anything resembling an actual golf tour. Let’s also be honest about what that NLU interview was—an unchallenged PR puff piece. Always amazes me that people take things like that as gospel.

I was just on the PGL official website (premiergolfleague.com). I'm a skeptic that it will work. Getting the top 48 to compete in 18 tournaments (Jan-August) on top of the majors and their scheduled tournaments is a big commitment. It looks like they are trying to create a Ryder or President's Cup vibe with people rooting for their team, but rooting for your country is totally different motivation than rooting for random team. Also, that team format hasn't seen much success in ratings with the offseason two-player team tournaments (QBE Shootout and Father-Son Challenge). I think people want to see the best individual players competing in fierce competitive tournaments rather than easy going or celebrity-type entertainment events. 

They may get lower ranked players if the money is really good, but likely not many if any of the top 48. They should really just start with a couple of pilot tournament events during the PGA low period (Oct-Dec) to see what the ratings are then push for more if it gets good ratings. 18 events is a ton of tournaments that players have to commit to. However, I do think expansion of real competitive golf tournaments around the world with more sponsorship money is a good thing for pro golf and growing the game. 

Edited by tacklingdummy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Unlike football the two you posted did become part of the establishment.  Which I do not see happening in golf.

The top one IS football (AFL).

Sometimes ya get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you. :classic_ohmy:

But my original point was one cannot simply ignore potential competitors. :classic_wink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

The top one IS football (AFL).

Sometimes ya get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you. :classic_ohmy:

But my original point was one cannot simply ignore potential competitors. :classic_wink:

You’re correct of course…..I said except football referring to the Herschel Walker picture from his USFL days. The old AFL and part of the ABA are now part of the established leagues.

Although my favorite ABA story is still the one of the guys who didn’t go the the new league.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2014/01/07/the-nba-finally-puts-an-end-to-the-greatest-sports-deal-of-all-time/?sh=b01c6a14f0ba

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

5 hours ago, jmck said:

I’m plenty well informed on this, and I have listened to the NLU interview. Read the interview I linked to again. He clearly, and I mean CLEARLY, says he expects to have the PGL up and running by Jan 2022. 

Frankly, seems to me that the guy has figured out how to cash a six figure paycheck (yes, from the Saudis) for promising something which is forever two years away, all the while traveling the world to play golf. That’s great work if you can get it, no doubt. But let’s be honest about what it actually is, and whether or not it’s actually going to result in anything resembling an actual golf tour. Let’s also be honest about what that NLU interview was—an unchallenged PR puff piece. Always amazes me that people take things like that as gospel.

So your position is that what he said in February 2020 is more correct or truthful or something than what he said in November 2021.  Got it.

34 minutes ago, ChillyDipper said:

So your position is that what he said in February 2020 is more correct or truthful or something than what he said in November 2021.  Got it.

Yes, that’s exactly right, because that is exactly the difference between the two. Glad you’re finally catching up to speed on it. 

• Haha 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:06 PM, gvogel said:

Ha!  I remember the days when the defending Stanley Cup Champs played against the all-stars from the other 5 teams.  That meant something!

You remember a 6 team league? Boy, are you old! Me, too! First game was Rangers and Blackhawk at the old Madison Square Garden in 1962,

4 hours ago, caniac6 said:

You remember a 6 team league? Boy, are you old! Me, too! First game was Rangers and Blackhawk at the old Madison Square Garden in 1962,

You tryin’ to make some os feel old? C’mon man! The expansion was in 1967….is that really that loooong ago? 😆

PGL is a dumb idea. All yall saying its such a good idea and that golf on TV is boring, you realize that these tournaments would be the exact same thing but on the other side of the world right? You gonna be up at 2am watching this? Yeah right, if you don't even watch the golf in your time zone. They can say they're gonna jazz it up all they want but golf on TV is golf on TV.

Also, PGA tour is great. There's compelling golf every week, lots of playoffs.....some people just love to b**** about dumb stuff and this sounds like more of that....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 11:16 AM, bscinstnct said:

Why would the PGA Tour even acknowledge, much less work with, what seems to be a non-entity that’s looking to take their best players out of their events?

Did you listen to the pod? Why did the NHL & WHA merge? Why did the ABA & NBA merge?  Why did the AFL & NFL merge? Sometimes there is a bigger picture. Golf is a world sport. Logically it makes a lot more sense to have a world tour with all the best players in one spot. Sooner or later someone will come along and make it happen, regardless. There are lots of people around for whom a billion $$ is a drop in the bucket.  If you don't join them you might find yourself with nothing more than a fancier version of the Korn Ferry Tour. Players are free agents. When the right deal comes along many will leave for greener pastures. Just ask Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Phil Mickelson, Paul Casey, Shane Lowry, Graeme McDowell, Ian Poulter, Xander Schauffele, Adam Scott, Abraham Ancer, Lee Westwood and Tommy Fleetwood, all of who have no trouble playing for big money in Saudi Arabia Feb 3-6 while the schlepps are all playing at Pebble.

On 11/18/2021 at 9:34 PM, bscinstnct said:

I understand that concept sounds appealing to fans 

But keep in mind that

1. Golf, in its essence, is a game a leisure. 

2. It’s a solo sport. 

The best in the world are true lone wolves. They don’t like to be told what to do, play for some rich dudes pleasure , be told where and when to play. They fly solo and don’t like to share the stage. The team thing is lost on them. 

And there  is a rhythm to the game and to the season that fits with the “chill” aspect of the game. There are the big events but then there are the more low key events. I think the players enjoy both. They’re is such a high level of intensity at the big events and we see, time and time again, guys (besides TW and Jack) can only put the hammer down max for stretches at a time. A season of all hyped up stuff? I don’t even think the top guys would like it. 

Fair point that it's a solo sport...at this point in time.  Start giving the players guaranteed money just for showing up and it just might become like college again.  But with seven figure numbers.  Every sport is bowing down to the $$$$.  Why should golf be any different?

And as far as the team thing being lost on them, sure seems like a lot of dudes still get jacked up for the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup.  Give them some real money around a team event and everyone would be all in wanting to be in.

2 minutes ago, Johnnypenso said:

Did you listen to the pod? Why did the NHL & WHA merge? Why did the ABA & NBA merge?  Why did the AFL & NFL merge? Sometimes there is a bigger picture. Golf is a world sport. Logically it makes a lot more sense to have a world tour with all the best players in one spot. Sooner or later someone will come along and make it happen, regardless. There are lots of people around for whom a billion $$ is a drop in the bucket.  If you don't join them you might find yourself with nothing more than a fancier version of the Korn Ferry Tour. Players are free agents. When the right deal comes along many will leave for greener pastures. Just ask Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Phil Mickelson, Paul Casey, Shane Lowry, Graeme McDowell, Ian Poulter, Xander Schauffele, Adam Scott, Abraham Ancer, Lee Westwood and Tommy Fleetwood, all of who have no trouble playing for big money in Saudi Arabia Feb 3-6 while the schlepps are all playing at Pebble.

“Logically it makes a lot more sense to have a world tour with all the best players in one spot”

If only there was a tour that all the best golfers in the world played on.

Imagine a fantasy land where all the greatest golfers could live, in year around warm weather, on a peninsula that extends into the sea. Where there were beautiful golf courses, mansions, and exotic spots cars.

The players could start the season on a tropical islands, then move to a coast of beaches and movie stars, traverse a continent, play championships all over the world.

And end in a bonanza jackpot of $75MM dollars. 

It seems like a pipe dream but perhaps Greg Norman can make this all possible one day ; )

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

“Logically it makes a lot more sense to have a world tour with all the best players in one spot”

If only there was a tour that all the best golfers in the world played on.

Imagine a fantasy land where all the greatest golfers could live, in year around warm weather, on a peninsula that extends into the sea. Where there were beautiful golf courses, mansions, and exotic spots cars.

The players could start the season on a tropical islands, then move to a coast of beaches and movie stars, traverse a continent, play championships all over the world.

And end in a bonanza jackpot of $75MM dollars. 

It seems like a pipe dream but perhaps Greg Norman can make this all possible one day ; )

Key Words >> "World Tour"  The next evolution in golf is a world tour that involves the best players from every continent and played on every continent. F1 wouldn't be the F1 it is today if they still held races only in Europe, England & a token race at Indianapolis. There is a big world outside the American borders. It's going to happen it's just a question of when.

6 hours ago, Johnnypenso said:

Key Words >> "World Tour"  The next evolution in golf is a world tour that involves the best players from every continent and played on every continent. F1 wouldn't be the F1 it is today if they still held races only in Europe, England & a token race at Indianapolis. There is a big world outside the American borders. It's going to happen it's just a question of when.

Golf mirrors the NFL much more than F1.

And let me say, before I’m accused of being a non-passport carrying, troglodyte, that I appreciate that golf, as we know it, was born in Scotland and we owe the UK and Ireland the immense gratitude of cultivating the game so that it could flourish as it has in the US.

Im using the NFL to demonstrate that it’s natural and logical for pro golf to be so centric around the US/UK and Europe. Just as it’s natural for the NFL to be is the US. 

So, as you can see, the overwhelming concentration of golf participation is in the a combination of countries including US, UK, Ireland, Canada, South Africa, and Australia. Makes sense, the game has acquired status as a family pastime, due to common ancestry, passed from father to son, over multiple generations. And the same has happened more recently in Japan and Korea. 

But, it will take many many generations, scores and scores of years, for golf to gain this type of popularity in China/much of Asia, India, South America. 

So, for the foreseeable future, the US and Europe provide the foundation and infrastructure for the best in the world to flourish. And equally as importantly, enjoy far less travel and a higher quality of life than some global tour that would require them to consistently travel all over the planet. 

FB3A5256-72CA-4497-89C5-D86A1C6CFBAB.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct

7 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Golf mirrors the NFL much more than F1.

And let me say, before I’m accused of being a non-passport carrying, troglodyte, that I appreciate that golf, as we know it, was born in Scotland and we owe the UK and Ireland the immense gratitude of cultivating the game so that it could flourish as it has in the US.

Im using the NFL to demonstrate that it’s natural and logical for pro golf to be so centric around the US/UK and Europe. Just as it’s natural for the NFL to be is the US. 

So, as you can see, the overwhelming concentration of golf participation is in the a combination of countries including US, UK, Ireland, Canada, South Africa, and Australia. Makes sense, the game has acquired status as a family pastime, due to common ancestry, passed from father to son, over multiple generations. And the same has happened more recently in Japan and Korea. 

But, it will take many many generations, scores and scores of years, for golf to gain this type of popularity in China/much of Asia, India, South America. 

So, for the foreseeable future, the US and Europe provide the foundation and infrastructure for the best in the world to flourish. And equally as importantly, enjoy far less travel and a higher quality of life than some global tour that would require them to consistently travel all over the planet. 

FB3A5256-72CA-4497-89C5-D86A1C6CFBAB.jpeg

Players from 5 countries and 3 continents have won men's Majors in the last 3 years. The LPGA Tour is stacked with players from all over Europe, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, South America, Canada, the US etc.  A global tour would be the best thing to happen in golf, probably ever, if it's done right.

10 hours ago, Johnnypenso said:

Players from 5 countries and 3 continents have won men's Majors in the last 3 years. The LPGA Tour is stacked with players from all over Europe, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, South America, Canada, the US etc.  A global tour would be the best thing to happen in golf, probably ever, if it's done right.

Heres your top 50

25 are American, 2 Canada

11 UK, Ireland, Continental Europe

5 Australia 

86%

Why would you force 86% of the players to go flying over the oceans every week or for months at a time?

You can’t. They chill in their Florida mansions, practice in year around good weather at the best clubs, keep their families together all year. 

Maybe hundreds of years from now, if 50% of the pros are from Asia, South America, and Africa, they could be inclined to start a rival tour or heavily lobby more overseas events. 

But, even then, the US makes the most sense to be the center of the tour since I doubt a bunch of Asian players are going to want to fly 12 hours to South America and Africa all the time.

Better to just live in sunny Jupiter ; )

C46613EB-B0EE-4074-929B-7AC70815F7A0.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct

4 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

Most of the foreign players are more than well off enough to live in the USA anyway

And probably prefer to play here as the setups make for easy travel to the next tour spot

Yes, and this is where we get back to golf, or any sport, needing a multigenerational foundation and infrastructure to support an elite professional tour/league. 

For the foreseeable future, hundreds of years even, over 80% of the pros will come from the US, Europe, Australia. 

There is one Asian in the top 20. There are 3 in the top 50. 6 in the top hundred. All from Japan or SK. 

Many European players go to college in the US. Rahm did. Or marry Americans. And the language and/or lifestyle and culture assimilation is easy in the US. 

As for the best and upcoming South Amerian golfers, the US is a lot closer to home than Asia. And many wouldn’t argue with “making it” and moving to Jupiter. 

Its one thing to tout a “global tour”. Completely another when you really dig into the details. 

Sure, be great to see the guys play the 4 corners of the globe. But until they invent one of there’s, it’s not going to happen ; )

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 7:35 AM, bscinstnct said:

Heres your top 50

25 are American, 2 Canada

11 UK, Ireland, Continental Europe

5 Australia 

86%

Why would you force 86% of the players to go flying over the oceans every week or for months at a time?

You can’t. They chill in their Florida mansions, practice in year around good weather at the best clubs, keep their families together all year. 

Maybe hundreds of years from now, if 50% of the pros are from Asia, South America, and Africa, they could be inclined to start a rival tour or heavily lobby more overseas events. 

But, even then, the US makes the most sense to be the center of the tour since I doubt a bunch of Asian players are going to want to fly 12 hours to South America and Africa all the time.

Better to just live in sunny Jupiter ; )

C46613EB-B0EE-4074-929B-7AC70815F7A0.jpeg

Money is the answer. The chance to earn salaries in their sport comparable to other major sports like baseball, football, soccer etc. If the money comes the players will go. The chance to play for $20-25 Million an event with limited fields as proposed by a group like the PGL+ Majors will draw most of the best players. No one is going to play on a world tour for the same money and the organizers know this. But put enough money on the table and it will happen. The players signing up to play in Saudi Arabia in February instead of playing at Pebble Beach is proof of concept.

1 hour ago, Johnnypenso said:

Money is the answer. The chance to earn salaries in their sport comparable to other major sports like baseball, football, soccer etc. If the money comes the players will go. The chance to play for $20-25 Million an event with limited fields as proposed by a group like the PGL+ Majors will draw most of the best players. No one is going to play on a world tour for the same money and the organizers know this. But put enough money on the table and it will happen. The players signing up to play in Saudi Arabia in February instead of playing at Pebble Beach is proof of concept.

How sustainable is that? How big a name is a DJ is a couple years when he has not played in a US tour event or a major and has lost all world rankings points?  In ten years who are the big names to replace the guys being spoken of as candidates today?

22 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

How sustainable is that? How big a name is a DJ is a couple years when he has not played in a US tour event or a major and has lost all world rankings points?  In ten years who are the big names to replace the guys being spoken of as candidates today?

Why would DJ have not played in a major? He has a lifetime exemption to the Masters and an exemption to the US Open through 2026. The PGA Tour doesn't control any of the Majors. Pretty easy to see a world where players play the PGL and the Majors and that's it.

16 hours ago, Johnnypenso said:

“Money is the answer“

Yes and the PGA Tour signed new media deals for the next 9 years for

$8 billion. 

They ain’t playing with a pop gun here ; )

With the new increase in fedex to $75MM, 18MM for the winner, a guy wins the fedex, had a good year, and wins the PIP could make close to

$40MM

Not to mention the tour can do all kinds of stuff the shower the top guys with cash.

Heck, they could just give $10MM bonuses to everybody in the top 5. 

Best bet is for the PGL, if they really want this “global tour” that’s sustainable, is to take a long term approach and invest overseas (which they are doing) and try to sign golfers out of college that haven’t gone pro yet.

Cause the PGA Tour ain’t letting any of the top guys out of their sight. 

Edited by bscinstnct