2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bettinardi DASS - Black Oxide??

Murdock

I've searched high and low and can't find an answer....have there ever been any Betti DASS black putters that were black oxide and not the black chrome (which I'm assuming, but can't verify, is a PVD finish)? 

I recently picked up a tour only Betti so I was told, not a hive release and not on their website or any internet forum, that had some issues with the coating looking blotchy/rubbing off in areas, presumably from transit as I think some substance got into the box through a huge gash (thanks UPS!).  It appears the coating simply came off (got lighter) in some areas.  At first I thought it might be some substance on the putter, so I tried lightly cleaning it with some 70% alcohol, thinking it was a PVD finish and it appeared to take a little of the black coating off.  Plus it sure looks like black oxide the more I look at it and how easy it can wear unevenly from things like fertilizer/etc.  

So that got me thinking...if its PVD, alcohol shouldn't do anything to it (at least it doesn't on my other SC black PVD putters)....but if it's black oxide then sure, it could strip it really easily.   Also, the putter head isn't completely non-magnetic like my other silver (uncoated) DASS, it has an ever so slight magnetic attraction (using a powerful neodymium magnet)...not strong enough to hold up a key fob on a keychain ring, but it's there.   So I thought, maybe its plated DASS with black oxide and the plating is what is giving it the slight magnetic attraction?  Or maybe they used one of the SS alloys that has some magnetic attraction?  It's the same all around the putter, face sole toe etc, of course the neck and around that area has a strong attraction from the shaft.  

Can anyone confirm if this type of putter was ever produced?   It's a QB6, so not a super old model.  I'm not concerned it's one of the stolen carbon DASS putters from circa 2015 because if it was, it would have a much stronger magnetic attraction.  

If it is black oxide on plated SS, anyone have recommendations on how to even out the finish without simply re-doing the coating?   How do you take care of black oxide on SS, as you don't have to worry about rust I don't imagine?  Do you still use a silicone rag or oil to coat it or just roll with it as-is and take care of it when it gets wet?

PB160238 (2).JPG

PB160008 (2).JPG

PB160002 (2).JPG

PB160005 (2).JPG

I think generally speaking, Black Oxide finishes are primarily on carbon steel putters. Someone with more knowledge can elaborate, but my amateur understanding is that all these various oxide based finishes have to adhere to/bond with the putter via an oxidative process, and stainless steel resists that by design. This is why you see these sorts of alternative finishes being used on SS putters, which yours likely is (PVD as you mentioned would be my guess). 

Places like the Putter Lounge seem to offer a "Black Oxide on Stainless Steel" option, and if your putter is in fact PVD then there is not much you can do to it currently, so getting it refinished would be the way to go IMO. 

Edited by Valtiel

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Yes they can do black ox on DASS but it depends on the putter apparently. I asked them about refinishing and for the putter in question black ox was a finish option but black PVD was suggested for longevity. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

To the best of my knowledge, the typical black coatings for stainless steel putters are black oxide and PVD.  I know there are some specialty shops who can do others that are similar to a cerakote. If it was PVD, there's no way that a mild solvent (alcohol) and light rubbing with a magic eraser would remove the coating...I've tried it on a black mist SC (PVD coating) that I refinished and even acetone didn't impact the coating.   That's why I thought it was black oxide...process of elimination and physical evidence of what I saw with the coating when trying to clean it

But what has me is why the putter has the slight magnetism to it, if it's stainless?  Unless DASS stainless steel naturally has some sort of magnetic properties.  I know certain SS's do, but good luck trying to get specifics about what grade SS the metal is from Bettinardi.  That's why I thought maybe it was plated?  I'll try and  contact them again, last time my email got unanswered.  

Edited by Murdock

6 minutes ago, Murdock said:

To the best of my knowledge, the typical black coatings for stainless steel putters are black oxide and PVD.  I know there are some specialty shops who can do others that are similar to a cerakote. If it was PVD, there's no way that a mild solvent (alcohol) and light rubbing with a magic eraser would remove the coating...I've tried it on a black mist SC (PVD coating) that I refinished and even acetone didn't impact the coating.   That's why I thought it was black oxide...process of elimination and physical evidence of what I saw with the coating when trying to clean it

But what has me is why the putter has the slight magnetism to it, if it's stainless?  Unless DASS stainless steel naturally has some sort of magnetic properties.  I know certain SS's do, but good luck trying to get specifics about what grade SS the metal is from Bettinardi.  That's why I thought maybe it was plated?  I'll try and  contact them again, last time my email got unanswered.  

They seems slow right now I emailed them last week and got a response yesterday.

I'm not metallurgist but I'm curious if their annealing process does produce some magnetism? I don't know if that's even possible but I'll check mine when I get home tonight.  

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

2 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

They seems slow right now I emailed them last week and got a response yesterday.

I'm not metallurgist but I'm curious if their annealing process does produce some magnetism? I don't know if that's even possible but I'll check mine when I get home tonight.  

It's the faintest of magnetism....not strong enough to hold a magnet to the putter and withstand gravity, but it's there.  

I'm no metallurgist either but I have done some SS research for work before.  There's several different grades and it all depends what the alloy consists of and the percentages.  With that, some are more corrosion resistant than others and some of the alloys have magnetic properties due to the metal used in the alloy.  No way to know what grade they use unless you're an insider I imagine

• Like 1

Black oxide is a common Bettinardi tour finish; Molinari's Open winning DASS BB0 putter was black oxide. BUT their are two different Bettinardi black oxide offerings, the older more of a dark grey and the newer darker finish which is on your putter. Both finishes will age, lighten and wear with use/rubbing but the newer black oxide shows age quicker since it's darker. My gamer is the old black oxide as I prefer the way it ages. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

6 hours ago, burns9304 said:

Black oxide is a common Bettinardi tour finish; Molinari's Open winning DASS BB0 putter was black oxide. BUT their are two different Bettinardi black oxide offerings, the older more of a dark grey and the newer darker finish which is on your putter. Both finishes will age, lighten and wear with use/rubbing but the newer black oxide shows age quicker since it's darker. My gamer is the old black oxide as I prefer the way it ages. 

Ah that makes sense, their 'older' black oxide I saw was that greyish one, didn't know they had a blacker one.  I thought the blacker one they called 'black chrome' and it was a PVD.  Makes perfect sense though.  

So any ideas on how to fix it?  I've seen posts on how to (0000 steel wool, quick wipe of acetone, etc) but I think those would screw it up more.  What about touching it up with some gun blue?  Think that would work?

How do you take care of black oxide on stainless?  Same as carbon?  Rem Rag or silcone rag, or do you even have to do that if its stainless, since it (technically) shouldn't rust?

25 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

This is what happened when acetone hit my BB8 and then sent back to HIVE to fix. 

Came out super good!!  Sorry to hear that happened, but looks similar to mine.   Questions:

Is yours stainless or carbon?  I don't know if the C in BB8C means its carbon or something else.  But it's also stamped DASS 

What did you refinish it in?  Black oxide again or is that black chrome?  

How's this coating holding up, or are you just displaying it and not gaming it?

Mind if I ask how much you paid, excluding shipping?  

Thanks for response!

Just now, Murdock said:

Came out super good!!  Sorry to hear that happened, but looks similar to mine.   Questions:

Is yours stainless or carbon?  I don't know if the C in BB8C means its carbon or something else.  But it's also stamped DASS 

What did you refinish it in?  Black oxide again or is that black chrome?  

How's this coating holding up, or are you just displaying it and not gaming it?

Mind if I ask how much you paid, excluding shipping?  

Thanks for response!

C means classic. 

Mine is DASS so not carbon but they painted it black. The coating is coming off the toe where I pull it out of the cover and slide it back in because the Velcro is rubbing against it. Also I’ve started to see a ball mark in the middle of the face. I’ve been using it since the summer so it doesn’t just sit at home.  I paid what they charge for a custom putter but I heard that cost increased recently. 

6 hours ago, Murdock said:

Ah that makes sense, their 'older' black oxide I saw was that greyish one, didn't know they had a blacker one.  I thought the blacker one they called 'black chrome' and it was a PVD.  Makes perfect sense though.  

So any ideas on how to fix it?  I've seen posts on how to (0000 steel wool, quick wipe of acetone, etc) but I think those would screw it up more.  What about touching it up with some gun blue?  Think that would work?

How do you take care of black oxide on stainless?  Same as carbon?  Rem Rag or silcone rag, or do you even have to do that if its stainless, since it (technically) shouldn't rust?

Don't do anything special;  I just take a toothbrush and soap after most rounds and then make sure and dry it off before putting it back in the headcover.  I make sure it's dry to make sure the water spots don't age the finish differently, but no need for a silcone or rem rag. 

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3