Would you rather...

4thand11

I was talking to my colleague in the office about this and initially he was thinking score until I put it into proper context then he did a complete 180.  The more important context is are you standing at a crossroads and given the choice or are you unaware of the choice and are living one or the other.  I say this because if you are aware and know that you couldn't shoot better numbers hitting it better then you would be in a better mental space knowing that your game and abilities are being maxed out and you would hang around the game longer.  

If you are unaware of the choice but living the hitting it bad scenario then you would never find satisfaction in the game because you would never feel like you are maxing your ability because you are stressing your short game to the max which is never good. Conversely if you are unaware and living the hitting it well scenario then you would always believe that you are right on the cusp for the sheer fact that you hit it consistently well day in and day out.  You would be much more likely to keep playing the game and keep working and searching for improvement whereas if you constantly hit it bad I think eventually most would give up the game because of the mental and physical tax that is taken. It is called "grinding" for a reason. 

Edited by Righty to Lefty

18 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

SGI clubs are better for beginners because the dispersion is in distance rather than on either side of the fairway.  

This greatly reduces the stress  of playing because the ball is still in the fairway, just not as far.

Instead of hunting  for your ball in the rough or trees you just need to take more shots to get to the green.

The course I play on is designed to deflect balls back onto the fairway if you are "close enough"

I've had balls roll from one side of the fairway to the other.  I'm sure that this was done intentionally to increase the pace of play and to help beginners enjoy the game.

If you miss the rough is brutal.  You are more likely to find two of someone else's ball than your own.  The sensible thing is to carry half a dozen balls and drop a new one.

I greatly reduced my lost ball call by playing four irons and a putter.

I think you keep answering in the wrong thread

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

19 hours ago, Obee said:

B and it's not even close. 

My swing almost never feels "out of sync." I know that when it happens, it's usually only 3 to 6 holes before I can fix it. Never more than one round.

however, thats not the question.. what if you did hit it horrible for 18 holes but still scored?

6 hours ago, milesgiles said:

however, thats not the question.. what if you did hit it horrible for 18 holes but still scored?

I answered the question. I said, "B, and it's not even close," did I not?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

9 hours ago, milesgiles said:

That's why I said hit well and score bad.... scoring bad happens its no biggie.  Playin bad is a way bigger deal...  Droppin some long putts and leaning on scrambling too much to score good aint no way to play

Now if your talkin in a tourney..... well that's a completely different question,  we'll all take all the lucky bounces we can get lol  But for non tourney round you wanna play good... hell I dont always keep score in a practice round anyways lol 🦆

Can't figure how to like my own posts

On 11/21/2021 at 12:51 AM, Righty to Lefty said:

I learned everything because I literally asked him after the round why he was so upset because he scored descent and that is why I answered the way I answered because of the perspective that he gave.  Sure being a grinder on any given day when you don't have it is fine, but grinding takes a mental toll over time because you are expending too much energy mentally and physically.  Pros take impact for granted because they have hit so many balls that it is basically a given that they will strike very close to the optimal spot on the face on most any shot.  This particular pro was losing his sanity after a few rounds of hitting it all over the face because he knows that even though he got away with it today, it will not last.  I can't imagine a pro going through extended periods of time not being able to lever the golf ball. I am a 5 and I would literally quit golf if I lost the ability to reliably strike the ball regardless of the scores that I shot. The score is irrelevant because you can hit it good or bad and still score pretty good or bad on any given day.  That being said you will never hear anyone say they hit it bad and scored their best ever score.  You simply can't hit it bad and play your best.  

I asked my other friend that held a Euro tour card what his best round ever was.  Ironically it wasn't his lowest score that he had ever shot (10 under).  I had watched him dismantle the golf course shooting 7 under over 9 holes multiple times but he replied that his best round ever was the round that he shot 4 under when he hit every fairway and green on a championship level course.  He said " do you know how stress free the game is when you do that?"  If you are hitting it good you will always be hooked up mentally and believe that you will improve whether it ever happens or not.  Lousy putting I'll assume will be 36 ish putts but even at that you would have the a chance to be a very low single digit handicap and even a scratch golfer.  If you hit it lousy but have even the most world class of short games you are still going to struggle to make it to scratch in reality because hitting it lousy doesn't make birdies and short game is mostly used to save par and often ends in bogey. However the premise of this thread was saying that you would hit it lousy and still manage a score as opposed to hitting it well and scoring higher.  If you are living one or the other my opinion is that you would enjoy the game more hitting it well in the long run as hitting it poorly over time is very taxing mentally because your game will never be reliable and predictable and you would be much more likely to leave the game if you always hit it poorly. 

Personally, if I shot 10 over and was hitting it great, I'd probably take up underwater speed knitting.  

20 hours ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

Personally, if I shot 10 over and was hitting it great, I'd probably take up underwater speed knitting.  

Personally, it was my first round back after having not played golf in five months due to the nature of my work and my next round  a couple days later was 5 over. Hitting great in my opinion means that I was levering the ball and in the correct position in relation to the ball. Scoring well is how well I lever it and manage my club face and you can have one without the other but if I am levering the ball I know that my club face control will tighten up as I play more. But if I am not levering the ball I know I am screwed on that day as I know I'm going to hit the ball all over the planet because I am uncertain about contact. That is the exact premise of this thread and the exact reason why I said that I prefer to hit it well. 

Also shooting 10 over is better than most that play the game will ever shoot and isn't a bad score at all and is nothing to be ashamed about. I'm a 5 handicap right and left handed (Righty to Lefty) so underwater speed knit that, do I qualify as a golfer in your eyes now?  Also quit acting like you've never shot 10 over or worse. I've played with a former tour pro that had a bad day and shot 80. I also sat there and watched him shoot 7 under on 9 holes multiple times so a bad day doesn't make the golfer, and he is a better golfer than you will ever be by a long shot and I don't even care to look and see what your handicap is because I know it aint +7 because you wouldn't be in a forum talkin ish to people you don't even know if you were. You can hit it good or bad and still score good or bad on any given day as the margins in golf between good an bad are very slim.  

Edited by Righty to Lefty

29 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Personally, it was my first round back after having not played golf in five months due to the nature of my work and my next round  a couple days later was 5 over. Hitting great in my opinion means that I was levering the ball and in the correct position in relation to the ball. Scoring well is how well I lever it and manage my club face and you can have one without the other but if I am levering the ball I know that my club face control with tighten up as I play more. But if I am not levering the ball I know I am screwed on that day as I know I'm going to hit the ball all over the planet because I am uncertain about contact. That is the exact premise of this thread and the exact reason why I said that I prefer to hit it well. 

Also shooting 10 over is better than most that play the game will ever shoot and isn't a bad score at all and is nothing to be ashamed about. I'm a 5 handicap right and left handed (Righty to Lefty) so underwater speed knit that, do I qualify as a golfer in your eyes now?  Also quit acting like you've never shot 10 over or worse. I've played with a former tour pro that had a bad day and shot 80. I also sat there and watched him shoot 7 under on 9 holes multiple times so a bad day doesn't make the golfer, and he is a better golfer than you will ever be by a long shot and I don't even care to look and see what your handicap is because I know it aint +7 because you wouldn't be in a forum talkin ish to people you don't even know if you were. You can hit it good or bad and still score good or bad on any given day as the margins in golf between good an bad are very slim.  

You came at me first when I was trying to help a guy who was aiming into the trees saying I had no idea what I was talking about. Here's my impact position which is zeroed out more often than not. 

Untitled.jpg

14 minutes ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

You came at me first when I was trying to help a guy who was aiming into the trees saying I had no idea what I was talking about. Here's my impact position which is zeroed out more often than not. 

Untitled.jpg

So you are holding a grudge from a disagreement that we had in a thread from months ago that you chose to bring up in a completely different thread?!! SMH...moving on. I will go back and check and see if I told you that "you had no idea what you were talking about" as that is not likely what I said and if I did then I will apologize for that in advance, but you were still incorrect and you are more than welcome to message me out of this thread and we can discuss further rather than hijack someone else's thread and veer off topic  because I shot 10 over.