Golf bag treasures

I read somewhere recently, that you should always look in the bottom of the bags from thrift stores because there might be balls or other treasures lurking there. So, I did that today and found a putter cover that may or may not have been one I lost. But it got me thinking...

In your thrift store or garage sales golf bag purchases...what treasures have you found? It could be balls, old tees...scorecards or something not related to golf.

For me, I've found some new in the carton Royal balls, old tees from the 1950s and older golf balls. Nothing really to write home about, but I'm curious about others experiences.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've found Some classic old plastic ball markers, some with legible logos that I thought wee pretty cool.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I bought a big tournament Spalding bag with Mark Roe's name. There were tees inside from tournament where he had played well, good luck charms perhaps. I kept them together in a plastic envelope and stored them where I found them. Never know when they might help my game.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Over the years messing with stuff like I do. I have found a lot of stuff including a bag of weed on more than one occasion. I think one of my funniest was I found an old Cally leather staff bag at Goodwill for $10. Bought it found a little zipper bag with markers tees and the usual except for 2 rolled up $20 bills. Also found 6 new Pro Vs. The bag in my signature now I found in a junked car at work. It was full of POS non descript golf clubs but it was in good shape. Found a whole bunch of tees, markers and divot tools plus 6 brand new in the sleeve Pro Vs and 6 brand new in the sleeve Callaway Super Softs. Got it all for free. Put the bag in the shop and forgot about it until a couple of months ago. Found it and started using it because it works well for a combo for me. Light enough to carry to the range and sturdy and roomy enough for riding cart use. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

My best find was a bag itself.

I answered a Craigslist add for what looked like some nice M85 SEOMs. When I got there, they were indeed the M85s, refinished and reshafted, but refinished well and the stamps on the toe were in great shape. In the bag was also a full set, 2-SW, of some '71-72 Staffs. He accepted $35 for the woods and the SW, then tried to get me to take the irons. Great irons, but I have a set in fantastic condition, and I'm out of room for irons, so I said no thank you and he could make more money if he sold them on eBay. He was trying to clear out a rental of some stuff a renter left, and wanted them gone without the hassle of listing stuff on eBay, so he insisted I buy them. I upped my offer to $50 for the whole lot, he said yes, and when I started to take the irons out, he said "just take the bag too." I grabbed the bag and the full set, threw it in my car, and headed off to my next errand without much thought. I'd seen the side had an embroidered patch of some sort, didn't think much of it, and moved on.

When I got home, I pulled the irons for a scrub, put the woods up in my office, and was picking up the bag go throw it in the car to donate when I realized it was a Ping Hoofer. Turns out the bag was the find of the day and the bag I now use. The embroidered patch was a Diamondbacks championship patch, which I had nothing against but meant nothing to me, so I found a round 5" patch I liked on Amazon and covered it. It also had Nissan embroidered on the ball pocket, and having no feelings about Nissan either way, I had a patch made that says Smooth & Easy, which is what I say to myself before every swing, and covered that.

It was an odd day. I got the woods I wanted, a nice SW for my '71 set, and a set of irons I will sell, but the bag was the find. In the end, I'll probably get all the money I spent back by selling the irons and end up with my main golf bag and some classic lumber for free.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

My best find was a bag itself.

I answered a Craigslist add for what looked like some nice M85 SEOMs. When I got there, they were indeed the M85s, refinished and reshafted, but refinished well and the stamps on the toe were in great shape. In the bag was also a full set, 2-SW, of some '71-72 Staffs. He accepted $35 for the woods and the SW, then tried to get me to take the irons. Great irons, but I have a set in fantastic condition, and I'm out of room for irons, so I said no thank you and he could make more money if he sold them on eBay. He was trying to clear out a rental of some stuff a renter left, and wanted them gone without the hassle of listing stuff on eBay, so he insisted I buy them. I upped my offer to $50 for the whole lot, he said yes, and when I started to take the irons out, he said "just take the bag too." I grabbed the bag and the full set, threw it in my car, and headed off to my next errand without much thought. I'd seen the side had an embroidered patch of some sort, didn't think much of it, and moved on.

When I got home, I pulled the irons for a scrub, put the woods up in my office, and was picking up the bag go throw it in the car to donate when I realized it was a Ping Hoofer. Turns out the bag was the find of the day and the bag I now use. The embroidered patch was a Diamondbacks championship patch, which I had nothing against but meant nothing to me, so I found a round 5" patch I liked on Amazon and covered it. It also had Nissan embroidered on the ball pocket, and having no feelings about Nissan either way, I had a patch made that says Smooth & Easy, which is what I say to myself before every swing, and covered that.

It was an odd day. I got the woods I wanted, a nice SW for my '71 set, and a set of irons I will sell, but the bag was the find. In the end, I'll probably get all the money I spent back by selling the irons and end up with my main golf bag and some classic lumber for free.

A couple of years back I ended up with an original Hoofer from Good Will for $5--- It is blue and has Eagles on the side and a big W on the ball pocket--- It had no wear at all. Now it was dusty all the zippers worked fine. Took it home and took some soap and the water hose to it and it cleaned up nice. I use it some now but had quit using it because most of the bag drop guys around here tightened the heck out of it on a cart-- What I think is that someone had that bag in school and then after that it never saw the light of the day until I got it. But yeah for $5 it is a keeper. Right now it is part of one of my grab and go sets stocked with the FC-4000s and a hodge podge of woods as my norm. I have so much stuff I keep bags fully stocked with balls tees and gloves and like I said grab and go

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 1 month later...

Picked up an old vintage golf bag at a thrift store. I never looked in the pockets before purchasing until I got home.

Pretty cool stuff inside included several golf gloves, about six logo balls including Mickey, Sponge Bob, (2) St. Andrews, (2) two color Ping golf ball, two wrist watch style stroke score trackers and a Ping Plush dog ear putter head cover.

IMG_5676.jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

IMG_5677.jpeg

IMG_5682.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice haul!

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

1 hour ago, Swingingk said:

I picked up a nice complete set of 68' Wilsons in a cool Slazenger sunday bag a few years back and there were some neat items in the pockets.  Beyond the old balls, tee's, and several vintage scorecards, there was a pack of "full figured" nudey tee's and a slick little golf tips thingy with a rotating dial called the Correct-O Par.  You rotate the dial until your issue appears in the "Problem" window and your fix then shows in the "Solution" window.  I swear these items knocked 4 strokes off my game!  Haha

20220215_223107.jpg.763099aaf47c73a16c1e2d2eb5ce5c97.jpg

20220215_223124.jpg.ea15e86689fa70c4b7a419c6214a8e9d.jpg

20220215_223134.jpg.90d031f97d2b1662f83488dac1537e74.jpg

20220215_223940.jpg.e1f86319af3e553daac6dad86c3ac328.jpg

20220215_223957.jpg.2e9f18f657eba3936b8a1aa838f19e2b.jpg

And just to show I'm a stand up guy I'll include the secret to fixing your slice.  (You're welcome...  lol )

20220215_224028.jpg.d94a877c455c96e42bd75d3c288ea6f6.jpg

”These tees were designed by some of the most designing men in the business, after consultation with OUTSTANDING FIGURES in the world of golf"🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

”These tees were designed by some of the most designing men in the business, after consultation with OUTSTANDING FIGURES in the world of golf"🤣

Haha yeah it's pretty funny isn't it.  The character with the lecherous grin is hilarious too.  I think the packaging is what really makes it great.  Man, talk about a different era...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Swingingk said:

Haha yeah it's pretty funny isn't it.  The character with the lecherous grin is hilarious too.  I think the packaging is what really makes it great.  Man, talk about a different era...

Yep, I like that the packet says "guaranteed to keep your eye on the ball" while the picture shows the golfer looking anywhere BUT the ball.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1