Playing for score is 1 dimensional..... stop it

Barfolomew

If you want to play golf for stress relief, exercise, and a just plain good time, most people shouldn't keep score imo.  It is stressful unless you find a way to ignore the bad holes or mistakes and focus on the positives that is.  I often just play for fun and don't really keep score.  I strive for good shots, and try and pull of crazy ones because I find it fun and exciting.  I shape the ball when it would be easier to hit the stock shot.  I feel it makes my skills better, and my enjoyment better.  I do however also thread in some more serious rounds as an attempt to see where I am at improvement wise and evaluate what I need to focus on skill wise.

Good rant OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I used to record a score all of the time. I think depending on who you play with may dictate what you do. For many years with my friends we always kept score. Since then I play with my wife mostly, it is just to get out and enjoy an occasional round. No score kept. When I play with my son occasionally, I keep the score. But, he never asks what he shot at the end of the round. I guess he really doesn't care about score, even though I keep it. In my opinion score is just a number and consistent ball striking is something I strive for and enjoy. 

Edited by Tanner25
  • Like 1

I'm wondering what exactly is one dimensional golf?  I'm playing the best shot I know how to play given the circumstances.  It offers plenty of variety over the course of 18 holes.  And ultimately leads to the best score I have in me that day.  If my strategy was to always play the same shot, i.e. be one dimensional, I don't even think I can pull that off.  As if anyone is that consistent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

"Tommy Boy you been riding me like a kid on one them plastic ponies in front of the supermarket." Ted Lasso 🏇🤣

You got Butt hurt when I didn't agreed with you cause you said well it worked for Jack,  people can have different opinions and approaches to the game.  Look at Moe Norman he didnt play like Jack you gonna change his swing too...

Not butt hurt one bit. You have a good swing.  Moe and Jack have a lot in common. They won tournaments with their brains, not their golf swings. What's between the ears is what separates greatness from guys who go home every Friday.  

• Like 2

I keep score on my GPS as part of my routine.  Garmin Connect says that after my first season of golf, I have a +36 handicap.  Which seems entirely appropriate.  On average I miss one stroke per hole.  And take one extra shot to get to the green.  So that is +2 shots per hole.

There is a definite correlation between my mental/physical state and how I play a round.  I'd just run out of gas on my first few rounds.  Then I played really well because the weather was nice.  Or I'd run into turbulence because I forgot my water bottle or left the putter on a green and had to run back and get it. 

It got tougher when the weather turned cold and the leaves started falling.  I made more bad shots.  But I recovered much more quickly to make good shots. 😀

I'd take three shots to get out of a wet bunker because the ball didn't travel very far.  Then on the next hole I'd punch out of a much more difficult bunker lie on one shot.

Edited by ShortGolfer

I never play a practice round. Every round I attempt to score the lowest cumulative stroke count on every hole, that’s my skill judgment. I don’t go out to “hack the ball around” , courses are too expensive and usually to busy to play more than one ball. 
That being said I don’t keep score, I let my playing partner do that. At the end of the round I have no idea of what “I shot” but may have a general idea.

If playing by myself, which is very, very very rare I don’t keep score and only mentally note pars or better. I typically can recall every shot in a round but rarely the total score. However I will take a few extra putts per hole.

Thats just me………

• Like 1

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

20 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

I used to record a score all of the time. I think depending on who you play with may dictate what you do. For many years with my friends we always kept score. Since then I play with my wife mostly, it is just to get out and enjoy an occasional round. No score kept. When I play with my son occasionally, I keep the score. But, he never asks what he shot at the end of the round. I guess he really doesn't care about score, even though I keep it. In my opinion score is just a number and consistent ball striking is something I strive for and enjoy. 

Totally agree.... depends on who you're playing with.  With certain friends its peddle to the medal, like an old Korean pro we play with he loves to create as much tension/action pressure as he can and its fun as hell....In fact if were in the middle of a practice round and Leslie Chow as I call him from Hangover rolls up cause he's driving everywhere he takes over gets the bets going, he's hillarious drunk and yelling at you how hes under par and you better play good lol... but you are not working on your game you're trying to score which is good.... but I think many people are ALWAYS in that mode, its like a drug they can't not do it once they hit that first ball lol!

Its why I started this thread to ask if anyone else notices that's its beneficial to not ALWAYS play like that and not keep score and actually play a practice round, maybe even dropping a couple extra balls in certain spots when course aint busy.  It really balances out your game to play both styles.  But when you dont play a lot the non score rounds get thrown out the window lol 🦒

Edited by Barfolomew
  • Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

11 hours ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

Not butt hurt one bit. You have a good swing.  Moe and Jack have a lot in common. They won tournaments with their brains, not their golf swings. What's between the ears is what separates greatness from guys who go home every Friday.  

My bad... respect 👍

16 hours ago, CasualLie said:

I'm wondering what exactly is one dimensional golf?  I'm playing the best shot I know how to play given the circumstances.  It offers plenty of variety over the course of 18 holes.  And ultimately leads to the best score I have in me that day.  If my strategy was to always play the same shot, i.e. be one dimensional, I don't even think I can pull that off.  As if anyone is that consistent.

Suppose your high draw aint great... are you gonna play that if you're trying to play your best shot and score the lowest..... no way. 

I'm saying play it.  Oh you missed the green and cost yourself a bogey.  I'd say don't worry bout score in this round keeping hitting that high draw till your good at it.  That's a practice round.  Don't let the overlord of "score" force you to play 1 dimensional and only play the shots that result in the lowest scores,  sometimes you play for score and 1 dimensional and other times not... long run vs short run is all,

Don't grasp at a lower score today at the cost of a better score a year from now 🐓

I'm just starting back so not really worried about score yet. The only thing I've been keeping track of is GIR.

I have to say I enjoyed playing much more years ago when we'd just do match play, no actual score. Just who was up or down. Playing it 2vs2 was the best. We'd just pair the highest and lowest handicap together and play straight up. 

It was good too as we'd often play unfamiliar courses and most of the guys I played with were mid handicappers like myself. So it didn't really matter if we shot a 92, it was the shots that won or halved holes that mattered. 

On 11/23/2021 at 2:40 PM, Barfolomew said:

Here's an easy 3 wood from few weeks ago, since I dont keep score its only proof lol 😝 Homemade swing no lessons... be nice or not haha 🦆

A very smooth pass with solid power. Good tempo and balance.

Nice piercing 3 wood shot sir.

If you are decent with the wand I'd put a little cake on you shooting par regularly. A no glove cool guy too I see. Even more money. 

Edited by touch
  • Thanks 1

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

On 11/23/2021 at 5:06 AM, Barfolomew said:

So many players have to keep score.... its like a drug! 🐑

If you wanna get better dont ALWAYS keep score..... see yourself as a shot maker, baller, swinger, hitting machine or flight artist or whatever is the skill of hitting pure creative shots and not a scorer.

As soon as you keep score you'll play the safe shot to try to score the lowest not the shot to make you better in the long run, its very 1 dimensional.  I see it all the time.... 🐑🐑 Then you identify with the score on that hole which might be way off, good or bad. You wont experiment as much if you keep score. We all need to practice a myriad of different shots, but that will increase the chance of not scoring well so we wont play it.  We need to play the risky shots to get better so they become less risky.  If you dont practice working the ball or hitting shots under branches etc that are not needed then you wont be able to do it when the pressure is up in tourneys or ballin with friends.

How many times do we hear I can do it on the range but not playin.... yeah cause you're keeping score when playing.  Stop it and practice like you do on the range out on the course by hitting all the shots. Enjoy being and identifying as a shot maker not a score keeper!

I got my game to par golf from bogey golf in bout 9 months by not caring bout score.... I started hitting all the shots.  I started playing lob shots from the fringe cause I knew it developed touch for me and my friends would rag on me or get mad cause it was the wrong shot lol dont worry little friends I'm still gonna compete by playin the wrong shots, then when I had to play a lob shot for real its was no issue cause I hit em all the time and regular chips became easier. 🦄 I started to see the game differently, golf became a mental exercise.  The fairway is huge and I can choose so many shots to hit it so it aint no big deal.... same with the green

But I do understand if you do not play a lot and you're going out with your friends everyone wants to play a game and get the bets and $4it talkin going..... buddies would even write down my score even when I didnt want them to lol🤦‍♂️  I used to play a lot when I got to par golf so had many opportunities to not keep score.

🦆🐫

Anyone try it?

how do you know you got to par golf, if you're not keeping score? How did you know you were at bogey golf without keeping score? I disagree with almost everything you've said, sorry. Knowing you have a score budget on whichever hole will determine whether or not this time around you go for it.

Say you double the same hole week in and week out and you have a better chance this week. Sure, you can play safe to secure, or you might take a risk, providing your score won't be more than you're usual double.

A lot of people will argue that an amater almost shouldn't hit a lob shot, or even need a lob wedge. Besides, these things you can go to the practise area and try, if you're lucky enough to have the facilities. Once you're prepared that you've got that shot in your arsenal, you can play it. Unfortunately, i do not have that anymore, so i either need to make a risk at the shot, or do something differently, knowing that it won't come out worse.

I've not cared about the score for about a year, i still record it, but didn't care. I did not improve, until i recently said to myself that i want to go lower. 

Trying to make a 2 foot window from the trees 20 yards deep from 180 with a 4 iron isn't really going to help much. At the range, i know i still have a 10 yard dispersion or so. I might only make that shot 1 in 30 tries.

Golf is very mental, agree, but dealing with your score is also a part of that. How can you overcome the bad shots, misses, doubles etc ?

I highly doubt you went from bogey + golf to even par just by whacking your way through the course wrecklessly week by week playing all sorts of random hero shots. Otherwise, please share the secret.

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

I've tried not keeping score, but it never works. The score is always in my head. So instead I don't worry about score -- until I'm 12 holes in and playing well. Then despite all good intentions, I get a little nervy. Haven't had nerves on the first tee in forever, but they show up when I have a good number going.

@Barfolomew I actually love your advice. It's how I played the game when I started. I wanted to be able to hit every shot a Tour Pro could, and I practiced and played with that in mind. 

• Thanks 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

On 11/23/2021 at 11:40 AM, Barfolomew said:

Here's an easy 3 wood from few weeks ago, since I dont keep score its only proof lol 😝 Homemade swing no lessons... be nice or not haha 🦆

Nice move! Looks like you own that. 

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

On 11/23/2021 at 9:27 AM, Itsjustagame said:

Of course you aren't really playing golf at all if you aren't keeping score. Agree that practicing on the course is far better than hitting range balls.

It depends on what you are working on. Making a serious swing change is best done on the range and is not complete until it has worked on the course. It takes both elements (IMHO). 

dave

• Thanks 1

Keeping score all the time means you are "one dimensional"? Seriously? 

I've played a lot of sports, and they all have means of practice, and then the sport itself. With tennis, I have friends I'll just go out and volley with sometimes. With basketball you can shoot hoops even alone. With golf, its the practice range. 

But if I'm actually playing a tennis match, or BB game, or a round of golf, I always keep score. Wouldn't be nearly as fun (to me) if I didn't. 

Most of your thesis seems to be based on what, to me, is a false assumption. That simply because someone is keeping score it means they wouldn't try anything other than safe shots - wouldn't improve because they wouldn't risk anything new. 

Balderdash. I do play relatively conservative if I'm in an actual tournament with something on the line - be it a charity tourney or even a friendly foursome playing for a bit of money (or sometimes, just bragging rights). But "relatively conservative" isn't that conservative, it just means after decades of golf, I know the limits of my game. The risk/reward ratio of any particular shot. (Solid course management is one of the many "dimensions" of the game.) If making a shot gives me a great chance at a birdie, but there's an 85% chance I'll wind up in the water, I'll just lay up. And going for that high risk shot wouldn't make my game any better down the road. 

During regular rounds I always keep score, but never add that score up until the end, and the fact of keeping score is simply completely unrelated to whether I'd try a particular shot or not. I'm always willing to take risks, if the risk/reward justifies it. But whether keeping score or not I'd never take a stupid risk. 

But every golfer thinks about the game differently. Apparently, when you keep score, you won't try anything new or even slightly risky. That is definitely not the case with me.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

@Barfolomew   I get you.  Lol. The Sith Lords here won’t. dealing in absolutes and all.  😂

I don’t read you to say never keep score.  I read you to say people are too conservative at times because of keeping score. Or protecting score.  

im a naturally aggressive player/person.  I have zero fear on a golf course.  I mean. It’s golf. Whoopie. There aren’t any one there trying to kill me , etc. so why fear ?     I actually  have to temper the opposite way. As in learn where to not go for broke.  But many won’t take a risk. Or learn how to hit a shot.  They abide by the old “ take your medicine “ tripe.  I personally like the Saying “ god hates a coward “ ( maybe Byron Nelson said that ) and Roy McCavoys “ rider till she bucks you “ words of wisdom.  

learn to set odd goals instead of score.  Maybe hit every fairway or every green.   Maybe it’s windy and you are today going to hit a low draw for every into wind shot and a high fade for downwind.   Maybe you play with a half set today. Or no woods.  Etc.  

score involves a great deal of luck.  I prefer to work on ball control.  I don’t like luck.  When you do this score takes care of itself.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Not keeping score seems nuts. Yep if you're playing on your own it doesn't matter, can't submit the score anyway. But the rest of the world have handicaps. 

No one in the nineteenth asks how you played the eighteenth. They just ask what you shot. It's not how, it's how many. That's it. If you are a once a week warrior then that eighteen hole score is critical to one's handicap. We have a par four, the seventh that is over water a drive-able if there is minimal wind. If I've hit driver well to that point I'll often take it on. Conversely, if I've started terribly I might still take driver. But if it's a mixed bag so far I'll usually take a four iron as I'm trying to grind out a score. 

I'm sure we've all got a friend that doesn't adhere to the rules or hands cards in and will proudly say, oh my handicap is two. Yes it was. Ten years ago, and would be a ten if you played by the rules. So there are handicaps and then there are handicaps as a friend in the UK would say to me (I'm in New Zealand). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Golfbeat said:

If you don't keep score, do you then literally beat them to win?

I don't keep score, they do. 🤣

"You still have me by three strokes at the turn" - Tim yesterday

I had no idea, but he was pissed!

• Thanks 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Nice swing Barf!

I get what you are saying but for me golf is a game and I play it as such which means the only reason I play is to keep score.  I do occasionally go out and play 3 or 4 holes to practice and the majority of that work will be sand shots and short game.  At this point in my life I have no interest in practicing for 18 holes.  LOL I have friends who will only play if there is money on the line and a practice round would be like torture for them!

Vive la différence!

• Like 1

Sometimes I go out to play nine holes with my buddy and his son.  We practice some fun things like using half of your bag, or just bringing a couple clubs.  We drop an extra ball here and there, hit high risk shots now and then, (drivers where you shouldn't, cut corners, etc.).  It's a great reset and a lot of times teaches you how to recover.  Years ago in my early 20s before kids, myself and my housemate used to play golf almost every day.  I played off of a scratch and he was about a 12, we used to play matches a couple times a month where I only got to use a 7 iron and a putter against his whole bag and most times I beat him.  In hindsight, those types of rounds taught me a lot and made me a better player.  For instance, the biggest factor in me moving from say a 3-4 handicap and a scratch was when I learned to hit my scoring clubs less than full which resulted in better birdie chances and more GIR.  I had another buddy who was a scratch but never won club tournaments, he hit the ball a mile and hit his wedge 160 yards...I told him that when he learned to hit is 8 iron 150 yards, NOBODY would ever beat him....(he never did and still hasn't won any club events)!  Being able to manipulate a club to squeeze a bit more out of it, or shape it to add / scrub distance is an important skill and becomes necessary when you are only playing with half a set.  I guess my point is that getting out on the course and once in a while being untethered from your score, is a great way to alleviate any stress that 'scoring' may cause you.  Go have fun, try crazy stuff once in a while, you'll learn a lot more about yourself and will probably get better doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lefthack said:

I don't keep score, they do. 🤣

"You still have me by three strokes at the turn" - Tim yesterday

I had no idea, but he was pissed!

Thank you. I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand.   The idea is to play without score in mind.  Not to not have a total at the end.  Someone in the group is always that guy who wants to keep the numbers.  

That’s the 1st part.  The 2nd part is if It’s practice.  Never keep score have a alternate goal.  Something to work on.   

and again. I don’t think the OP said always.  He’s talking a difference in rounds that are competition and those that are just rounds.  You don’t always want to focus on score.  Sometimes you have to.  Everyone mentioning handicaps.  Most good players only keep a handicap because it’s required to register in larger tournaments.  Otherwise why would you ?  We don’t play in net events if we can help it.  Every round that isn’t competition , is practice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Most good players only keep a handicap because it’s required to register in larger tournaments.  Otherwise why would you ?  We don’t play in net events if we can help it.  Every round that isn’t competition , is practice.  

I'm not saying I'm any good, but I have not tried to establish a handicap because it's a game I play for fun. As long as I get a few good shots in, I'm ok with that. But I seem to always get paired with a guy who is using a watch or an app to track everything and tracks where everyone is at. 

I've only been actively playing for just over a year (been playing for 30, but not really), so my game isn't as tight as it was in college. But it seems at least once a round you manage to put all the pieces together and hit the shot how you pictured. 

But untill someone pays for a score, I feel no need to keep it. Kinda like keeping score playing a pick up game of basketball. Nobody cares once the game is over 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray