3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Yeah, when I lose reason to improve I lose the desire to play. I played all my life, took a hiatus in college, and started again shortly after graduating. At the time I didn't have many friends who played or those that did were still in college and away from me, because of that I stopped playing for a couple years. Playing tournaments or playing with friends gave me desire to improve and made me look forward to golf, every round was a challenge, every range session a chance to improve before the next challenge. Without that, it just got boring.

Fast forward to today, I love golf because I can play solo, and for those other competitive/social reasons. But still, after awhile of not playing in any kind of competition or without friends, it can get meh again.

• Like 2

TaylorMade SIM Max D 9.0*
Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist TS2 23* (4 Hybrid)
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Haywood Signature 54*
Haywood Signature 58*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 or Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist ProV1x

I'm kinda there right now. I have a 1240 tee time today and I am debating about canceling it. Just meh. Not that I am playing badly (fighting the driver) but just dont want to. One of the guys that I normally play with just hasnt been fun. It's just a chore to play with him. 

I have other "non-pressing" things to do (like clean the bathroom, hang christmas lights) that normally wouldnt enter into the equation when golf is mentioned, but now they are in the forefront

Edited by buckrogers71
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nitram said:

Like what Stu said much earlier in this thread, I was playing and gambling in some large money games and actually lived for it. I played or practiced everyday. Father time caught up with me and over a year saw my game decline to where I was totally lost. I'd gone away from what I did rather well and began chasing distance and trust me, it's a death spiral in golf.

After a season of self-loathing and pity I began to embrace my "new golf game" and began to build the best game I could with the knowledge and swing speed I had and with reduced expectations. It didn't happen overnight but I began to take solace in building a better putting stroke and routine, better course management and green reading skills, and learning to "trust it" again.

So yeah, it lost it's charm for what it was to me but after some severe introspection I realized there was another 'fun' aspect to the game and now it's more charming than it's ever been.

You will like this--- Back in Charlotte when I was in town I played in a weekly game--- Everyone in that game was either a lawyer judge or LEO. And this was before caddy shack was ever made. We had a semi retired 70 year old Superior Court Judge that had just taken up the game so what ever match he got and on team matches he got understandably 2 shots a hole. One day he hit a worm burner 3 wood shot on a par 5 that went into the hole for a natural eagle. Of course he had the honor for the next tee he did not understand and we told him he was up first and had the honors for that tee. One of the lawyers piped up Your Honor Your Honor. Everyone cracked up and he understood.  Usually low stakes matches on face with the cops etc but messing with the lawyers you could get some serious side bets right up my alley.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Usually happens a couple times a round but no matter how bad I play I'm always excited to get back out the next time and see how much worse things can get.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

Yeah, every early September, I lose ALL interest to play. I pray every year that we don't get any rainouts in league so it doesn't go past Labour Day. Been this way since HS.

I played in the Golfweek Amateur Tour Championship and a hurricane came through and delayed it a month until November. OMG, it was so annoying.

On 11/23/2021 at 6:22 AM, SUPERG said:

3. I've tried for months to shorten my swing and reduce wrist hinge so I can make the turn and not slide and throw my hands but to know avail, I've paid for countless lessons and nothing works

I'm a scrub fwiw, but I think hinging the wrist is a good thing.  You're winding up or cupping the trail hand and then unwinding it through impact, like throwing a baseball.

However, rolling or twisting your wrists out of neutral relative to your body turn is bad, because you have to manipulate it during a fast downswing replicate your address, which is nearly impossible to do consistently. 

If I'm way off base, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

30 minutes ago, huskydawg said:

I'm a scrub fwiw, but I think hinging the wrist is a good thing.  You're winding up or cupping the trail hand and then unwinding it through impact, like throwing a baseball.

However, rolling or twisting your wrists out of neutral relative to your body turn is bad, because you have to manipulate it during a fast downswing replicate your address, which is nearly impossible to do consistently. 

If I'm way off base, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You’re exactly right! I’d have no problem with the wrist hinge (long like Phil and Boom Boom) if I could get it to match up with my turn, but all it does is get stuck behind me and lead to the flip. I have also considered speeding up the arms lately, with some success!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 2:53 PM, miamistomp said:

Je me souviens on a car means " i can't drive " 

Ha! But if you're in Miami, it means they'll fit right in. No one there can drive. Florida highways are a laugh a minute. Caravans of drug couriers driving really fast in the right lane (in case they need to do a quick off-ramp due to LEO concerns), and 85 year olds inexplicably driving really slowly in the far left lane, with their turn signals seemingly permanently on. (Not certain why this is, probably mostly just a Florida tradition hahahahaha.) 

The Québecois actually fit right in. 

Edited by bobfoster
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

What decade are you in ? Watching Crockett and Tubbs ?

As a former federal officer-people haven't moved drugs through the streets here since the 80's

Roads are too slow with no real side street by ways

You wanna move drugs by land you go through Tejas and Arizona

And old people don't move here anymore - Too expensive

West coast of Fl or the Villages are the hot spots

I guess their French might help in Little Haiti but,no golf courses I know of there ( good dirty rice , fried fish  and rum tho )

Edited by miamistomp
  • Like 1

If I do a run of 10 rounds in 14 days in the heat of the summer I get burnt out .. but only for about a week

I am happy playing 2 or 3 rounds a week with 2 or 3 range sessions tossed in

I could not play 18 every day like some, too sore, too much of a grind, too repetitive 

I like to mix in some fishing, jogging, lifting, Reno work etc etc

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

18 hours ago, miamistomp said:

What decade are you in ? Watching Crockett and Tubbs ?

As a former federal officer-people haven't moved drugs through the streets here since the 80's

Roads are too slow with no real side street by ways

You wanna move drugs by land you go through Tejas and Arizona

And old people don't move here anymore - Too expensive

West coast of Fl or the Villages are the hot spots

I guess their French might help in Little Haiti but,no golf courses I know of there ( good dirty rice , fried fish  and rum tho )

You're probably correct. Lived there 2004/2005, not exactly Crockett and Tubbs but still almost two decades ago. I imagine things are different ... drug dealers are nothing if not perpetually adaptable (One of the things my company offered for a while was anti-money laundering consulting to banks - in fact, I had an ACAMS certification, pretty certain you know what that is.)

• Like 1

Slow golf has really gotten to me. COVID has courses packed even during the week. We live in such a soft world now no one educates new golfers as it appears condescending or aggressive rather than helpful. Under 40 generation is me me me, couldn’t be bothered with courteous or conscientious golf. Courses don’t care once register gets filled. 

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

I feel like you have to play a variety of styles of golf if you play a lot.  

I play a few different types of rounds.

1.  For score

2. For enjoyment of the opportunity.

3.  Go for everything.

4.  Miss every green on purpose to work on short game

5.  Creative shots on everything.

6.  As enthusiastic as possible on every shot.

• Like 3

I played in some pretty hefty money games for a couple of years in Ft. Lauderdale in the early 80’s with some pretty famous people - Tour pros, soon to be tour pros, musicians, Hollywood movie stars, NFL quarterbacks, hustlers and mobsters. It was a time that I look back on with great nostalgia and one of the best times of my life. It was actually a job. We played weekdays at noon.

I was +3 and didn’t touch a club for about 14 years when life took me on different path. Good enough to make money, but not good enough to play anything but mini-tours and Monday qualifying once in a while. I got bored with it. I always made money in PGA sectional events, but I just couldn’t get over the hump to the next level. I was a lousy putter.

I guess I didn’t have the right nutritionist, mental coach, trainer, caddie and swing guru. 🙂

Eventually I picked up a club again, but golf doesn’t have the same pizzaz or motivation anymore. I thrived on pressure, but now playing for “fun” doesn’t cut it.

So yes, golf did lose its charm. I guess it depends on your definition of charm

• Like 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I sometimes get bummed playing alone, but the opportunities are fewer these days w career and kids, so it's hard to plan w others.

Also get bummed when I'm in a squirrelly shot rut - my miss is a little spinny thing off to the right. More than a couple drivers like that in a round that eat 40 yards off my distance and I'm pressing.

Yeah I think most people go through periods of heightened or decreased interest in the game. Not to be armchair shrink but if you don't worry about the result and enjoy being in nature, it always seems to make me appreciate it. Quiet is hard to find in this world. As a society over stimulation seems to be a problem at times and golf is much more focused.

Edited by shoot4par
  • Like 1

No, never!

I’d play 7 days a week if I could afford it and my body could take it.

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

On 11/23/2021 at 3:50 PM, againstthegrain said:

Golf is fine, some of the people around the game are not.  It's a subset of club membership that truly need to GTFO of the game.

Ah, the people. One golfer I've encountered in amateur circuit tournaments is a repeat offender.

2018: Day two of senior tournament. Heavy rain at end of round 1. Round 2 gets delayed twice for tee off.  Our threesome starts, including The Guy. At turn, I try to buy a GatorAde, and the clerk misplaces my credit card. After 10 minute delay, me and cart partner reach No. 10 tee. The Guy is on the tee, fuming and ready to hit. He snap-hooks his tee shot deep into a hazard. Us other two get tee shots into fairway, and The Guy loads up and repeats the snaphook. He yells at me for ruining his game, and withdraws from tournament. (Us two survivors get to our tee balls, and have to wait five minutes to hit due to lost ball by group up at green.)

2020 same tourney: In Round 1, again I get paired with The Guy! All is well until 18th hole. He hits a tee shot along OB and loses ball. A hazard is near OB, and he's furious it's not a 1-stroke drop, assuming ball went into hazard. Rules guy sends him back to the tee, and hits a booming drive that catches edge of hill and rolls to bottom, 160 yards out on a par 5. He has chance to recover, but is furious and proceeds to take a 9 on the hole.  He then withdraws from the tournament and gets into an argument with the scorer. (He's also upset with me that I didn't warn him about the OB right.)

Another golfer told me not to take it personally. He said The Guy storms out of at least one event a year. I informed the organization that never again would they pair me with The Guy.

This year, I skipped the tourney. Didn't want to tempt fate.

Bad thing about stormy withdrawals is it creates a scoring problem. I have to retrieve my scorecard, swap it out to another player etc. Extra trash  in an already tense situation. 

• Haha 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I've never stopped loving golf. 

The only time golf lost its mojo for me was when I started being the "temper" guy.  Throwing clubs and swearing if the shot was not perfect.  I quit playing for about three or four years because I did not like what I had devolved into.  When I started playing again I promised myself I would play as long I I did not revert back to the "ogre".  So far 8 years later I am ok.  But my game is starting to get to the point where I do not enjoy it as much as I once did Hopefully, I can take the game for what it should be at my age.  Exercise and a fun little battle with my BGB.  After all the money only goes to my best pal..Right?