Has golf ever lost it's charm to you?

SUPERG

When golf lost its charm I had a three year hiatus.

Swore I would never play again. My story.

I didn’t play but 6-10 a year and knew I was a better golfer. I was struggling one day with some friends. Little nine hole course that a few pompous locals thought they owned. We are about to tee off when one of the “members” runs into the pro shop.

The pro shop attendant comes out and stops us right as we are about to swing. “I am going to let these guys play first”

Well three groups later we are finally allowed to tee off. Mind you we had a reserved tee time.

First green my buddy is getting ready to chip and the pompous member is sitting in his cart like he is going to wait to move until the shot is complete. Right in the back swing he slammed his foot down on the accelerator. Laughs and drives on. 🤬😡

Well let’s just say three holes later on while waiting on this group for slow play, I may or may not have had a bug fly in my throat during his backswing. Coughing preceded. 😂

That day turned me off for three years.

Then I just somehow got the bug again.  Bought a membership to a CC and moved an hour away just to be closer to the golf course.

Yep i tore my TFCC in 2015. Right after reaching my lowest handicap level ever.  DIdn't play a full round of golf for two years. And didn't play completely pain free until probably 2019. Was in a hard cast multiple times. Got so frustrated with the game I sold all my stuff and bought a bike - cuz i thought that would be the only hobby i'd be able to do. 

IT's funny i was watching the tourney at Torrey Pines yesterday and Bryson appears to have injured the same wrist the same way. And i was just yelling at the TV 'Dude withdraw right now you're just making it worse"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stinger83 said:

Yep i tore my TFCC in 2015. Right after reaching my lowest handicap level ever.  DIdn't play a full round of golf for two years. And didn't play completely pain free until probably 2019. Was in a hard cast multiple times. Got so frustrated with the game I sold all my stuff and bought a bike - cuz i thought that would be the only hobby i'd be able to do. 

IT's funny i was watching the tourney at Torrey Pines yesterday and Bryson appears to have injured the same wrist the same way. And i was just yelling at the TV 'Dude withdraw right now you're just making it worse"

TFCC has to be one of the most frustring injuries to deal with.  I never thought I was gonna heal from that one.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I wanted to play in college when I was younger, but then I got DQ'd when I was in middle school at a junior tournament for signing a wrong scorecard. The guy keeping my score got me and the third guy mixed up on a bunch of holes and I missed one of the holes he had wrong apparently. I was so embarrassed I didn't play at all for about a year, and then only with my grandfather sparingly for almost 10 years after that. Luckily I ended up being better at football anyway but I'm fully back into it after catching the bug again once I graduated undergrad.

I had another small one trying to be a hero at the Pete Dye River Course when I was in grad school and tried to hit from knee high rough with a full Tiger swing. Elbow popped and I had to shut it down for 6 months or so and it hurt for a few years and I would have to take a few weeks off after each round. 

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

On 1/28/2022 at 12:20 PM, Stinger83 said:

Any chance you can respond to my messages. Your obviously on the golfwrx board constantly, but you haven't sent the shirt I purchased or responded whatsoever 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/31/2022 at 6:26 PM, tarpon18 said:

Any chance you can respond to my messages. Your obviously on the golfwrx board constantly, but you haven't sent the shirt I purchased or responded whatsoever 

Have you started a thread on deal or no deal about it. Most problems get solved. 

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, MattM97 said:

Not golf but my previous sport, the second it was no longer fun or I dreaded training/competing I had to step away, it started as a short break, then continued into me walking away from the sport altogether. But in the past I'd take like 2-3 weeks off, rest, recover, don't think about the sport and I'd be itching to get back at it. But for some that doesn't happen, maybe takes and extra week, maybe a year maybe never again. It's really up to you and what you want to do and what you want to enjoy.

Ive reached this point with cricket, AFL football, baseball and tennis. Thought the same might happen with golf but the interest doesn't seem to be subsiding. I get almost as much enjoyment just hitting balls as the range as I do playing. I love it.

7 hours ago, Wormkiller said:

Ive reached this point with cricket, AFL football, baseball and tennis. Thought the same might happen with golf but the interest doesn't seem to be subsiding. I get almost as much enjoyment just hitting balls as the range as I do playing. I love it.

I think it's because my expectations are much lower with golf now, I still want to be good. But good in golf for me is single digit handicap or eventually scratch and while not easy it's easier than going pro or make the Olympics. 

Last year I didn't hit the range once just time and what not yet I still had my best year golfing. It was nothing amazing but seeing progress is nice. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

The hard part for golf is when schedules get overly busy so regular practice or playing gets limited. Then going out when I do have time, I don’t shoot a score I’m used to shooting for stupid reasons. It gets frustrating for sure but then I have the few shots that remind me when I was at my lowest handicap I had no kids and could practice and least once a week and play twice a week. Nowhere near that now. I try to temper my expectations and enjoy the day out. 

• Like 3

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

The game, no ...

The course overcrowding, yes ...

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 2/15/2022 at 8:49 PM, MattM97 said:

I think it's because my expectations are much lower with golf now, I still want to be good. But good in golf for me is single digit handicap or eventually scratch and while not easy it's easier than going pro or make the Olympics. 

Last year I didn't hit the range once just time and what not yet I still had my best year golfing. It was nothing amazing but seeing progress is nice. 

You sure you're not contradicting yourself here?

Edited by Wormkiller

9 hours ago, Wormkiller said:

Public courses in my city are out of control packed. The only way around it is to join a private club. Whats the situation in your city?

Same ... packed tee sheets with 4 1/2-5 hour rounds ... and that's on weekdays. Covid has completely changed people's habits. And everybody is a pro.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Many years ago I got into a serious funk during tourney season. Put the clubs down at the end of it and didn’t touch them again for almost a year. I lost the joy of it for that period. The break really helped me reset and not take it so seriously. Can’t imagine I would ever take an extended break again. 

Edited by soxflyer80

Update 2/18/2022.   Golf is still super duper charming.    This site.....I dunno anymore...

• Sad 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 2 weeks later...

Golf was the first thing I ever got obsessed with that I thought was kind of silly. All the other stuff (music, acting, photography, etc.) had some  "serious art" aspect to it. Golf was also the first thing I ever took up that I absolutely sucked at. So, golf started out as an entertainment for me that I couldn't get enough of. Plus, it's pretty relaxing to hit a little ball around what amounts to being a giant park for four hours.

Long story short, I got a lot better (7), got interested in other things, quit for about 8 years, came back to the game, felt like I was starting over again, and never got re-obsessed  with it. But, it's back to being hitting a little ball around a park with my friends again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It did... around the time I was 18-32. Was re-energized originally by how golf has changed and become a little less formal with the introduction of speakers, drinks, less nerdy "style", younger more relatable tour players etc... as well as starting an annual boys trip which truly made golf an escape, and fun and filled a void.

Ironically that open door of casual relaxed golf has led me to a true love of architecture, history, comradery, respect for the game, respect for the facility as well as that elusive chase to shoot your best score. Those who say grow the game are bang on... the respect for history and unwritten rules of the game will naturally occur with culture over time.

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

I quit after High School, and never really played until after I graduated University

Played competitively in HS, and it got to the point where EVERY round needed to be a good one, otherwise I'd become absolutely miserable. I know it got to the point where some people wouldn't want to play with me (and I don't blame 'em), even though nobody ever actually said it to my face. I finally clued in and gave the game up altogether.

Picked it up about 5-6 years later. Thankfully I can now play without getting pissed off most times. I do my best to just laugh off any stupid shots I hit...and all it takes is watching another golfer lose their temper to remind me how much of a wankstick you look like when you flip your s*** on a golf course.

Edited by electroleum
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

I played on the high school golf team in the fall and the high school baseball team in the spring. I played baseball in college (1975-1979) and didn’t touch my golf clubs during those years. I didn’t miss it one bit. In the fall of 1979 my employer asked me if I had played golf. I told him that I hadn’t touched a club in 4-years and didn’t have much desire to start up again. He coaxed me into playing a round with him on a Friday afternoon. Oh my, I was hooked! The following spring I played twice each week and got my handicap to a 5 rather quickly. I got married in 1981 and my wife urged me to join a club. I was a scratch golfer by 1982. Today,  I’m 64-years old and wouldn’t want to give up the game. It’s truly among my greatest pleasures. I am presently a 4-handicap, although I have lost considerable distance, I still can get the ball into the hole frequently enough to satisfy me. I often wonder how I survived without golf for those 4-years. 

• Like 1

Not for me. I’ve been a casual golfer for 20 years but started playing a lot 3 years ago. I play at least once a week year around now. That being said about a year ago I got down to somewhere in the single digits and thinking I was now a golfer got into more blades irons. Fought them for a year and really had some down times on my game. Recently got into some mp225 and man what a difference. Super easy to hit and have me back so excited just to go hit golf balls. 

Just went to the range a couple of weeks ago after a year and a half hiatus (after playing pretty much weekly, golf or range since 1987.) Went from playing once a week to nada. Will play my first round since on Thur.

Edited by High Plains Driver
  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I enjoy the challenge, I have gotten frustrated at times, but it has never lost its charm.

For one, while I was working I didn't play a lot and it definitely showed. I remember going to the Cameron ICC at Table Rock for years, and sucking big time, lol....

Since I retired, playing golf is all I do when not on vacation with my lovely wife.

This year I'm starting to play the Super Senior series in my state's golf association and I'm looking forward to the competition, but mostly the fun of playing a game I enjoy.

It can be frustrating at times, but a bad day at the golf course, beats a good day at work 🙂

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I can't bring myself to play a round this year.  The crowding and weather are big factors.  I go to the range just about every day after work as long as it's not raining.

I enjoy going to the range and working on something for an hour more than spending 5 hours playing golf.   Most of the time spent at a golf course for is just waiting to hit so that I can wait to hit again.

Last year my dad was murdered. He was who got me into golf and he was my golf hero. So, for the past year I would become incredibly depressed whenever I’d go play golf. What was my favorite hobby became a mental/emotional torture.

I’m making a real effort when this season begins to change all that. I’m going to treat myself to a new set of Mizuno irons and new clubs. The last conversation I had with him was about going to a Mizuno demo day. I’m going to make that happen, I’m going to enjoy this game again, and I’m going to have fun.

Sorry to throw such a wet rag into the discussion.

• Like 1