Has golf ever lost it's charm to you?

SUPERG

2 minutes ago, JDCON said:

Last year my dad was murdered. He was who got me into golf and he was my golf hero. So, for the past year I would become incredibly depressed whenever I’d go play golf. What was my favorite hobby became a mental/emotional torture.

I’m making a real effort when this season begins to change all that. I’m going to treat myself to a new set of Mizuno irons and new clubs. The last conversation I had with him was about going to a Mizuno demo day. I’m going to make that happen, I’m going to enjoy this game again, and I’m going to have fun.

Sorry to throw such a wet rag into the discussion.

jesus dude. i’m so sorry, that’s awful. 

i hope, in time, you can find a way to be close to your dad when you’re on the course. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 6:03 AM, dhacker56 said:

The only time golf lost its mojo for me was when I started being the "temper" guy.  Throwing clubs and swearing if the shot was not perfect.  I quit playing for about three or four years because I did not like what I had devolved into.  When I started playing again I promised myself I would play as long I I did not revert back to the "ogre".  So far 8 years later I am ok.  But my game is starting to get to the point where I do not enjoy it as much as I once did Hopefully, I can take the game for what it should be at my age.  Exercise and a fun little battle with my BGB.  After all the money only goes to my best pal..Right?

I've been golfing for about 5 years and started later in life. I'm 47.  I went through the temper phase and am recently hopefully over it.  I obsess about my hobby and get annoyed when it doesn't yield results after all the effort. However, I know no one wants to play with someone like that so no matter what I try to keep my cool.  

• Like 2

Going through a rough patch. Iron play is deteriorating to the point it is becoming painful to watch mishit after mishit. Driving is fine, putter on transfer list. Short game under pressure every game. Came off the course yesterday after another rubbish game and thinking of a break, maybe just a couple of weeks, maybe longer. 

Living on the east coast, it usually happens to me around March/April every year when I'm hitting the ball horribly and I have to force myself to play/practice. Come May/June I usually am hitting it solid again and can't wait to get out there again.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

On 3/31/2022 at 6:52 PM, JDCON said:

Last year my dad was murdered. He was who got me into golf and he was my golf hero. So, for the past year I would become incredibly depressed whenever I’d go play golf. What was my favorite hobby became a mental/emotional torture.

I’m making a real effort when this season begins to change all that. I’m going to treat myself to a new set of Mizuno irons and new clubs. The last conversation I had with him was about going to a Mizuno demo day. I’m going to make that happen, I’m going to enjoy this game again, and I’m going to have fun.

Dang that's tough.  When my Dad passed I took my brother and I to Bettinardi and we got fitted for putters.  I got may Dad's Polish name stamped on mine and my brother got the nickname my dad called him on his.  It's a great way for me to keep the game in perspective and to remember my Dad at the same time.  That putter is not always my gamer but it is always in a place of prominence in my house on my practice putting mat.   My advice is to find a way to remember.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2022 at 6:52 PM, JDCON said:

Wow, man. That is horrible and you have my sympathies and my empathy. I golf largely because of my dad's early death, but for a reason very similar to yours. We were HUGE fishermen. It's what brought us close after high school when it seemed like we were daily at each other's throats. We started fishing together and found a friendship we'd never had. When he passed from pancreatic cancer after a very short battle, I just couldn't make myself fish anymore. Sold my boat. Still have thousands of $$$ in gear in bags and boxes in the basement. Can't make myself get rid of it, but can't make myself use it. 

Golf was my new found joy that gets me outside. Not a great golfer like so many here, but good enough to keep myself satisfied as long as I have a nice course to walk. I'm an aesthetics guy, so if I play a series of 'unattractive' courses, I can tend to lose interest. I'd rather play poorly on a difficult but beautiful course than play scratch on flat, open, poorly maintained grounds. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Typically when golf doesn’t get fun anymore and I get burned out trying to break 80 every time and failing. I just simplify it and make it fun again- go out and see what you can shoot with the least amount of clubs. Play the red tees. Don’t count strokes. Hit the longest iron to the shortest par 3. 

just make it fun 

• Like 1

Current WITB 2023...

• Callaway Epic Speed 9.5 - Hzrudus RDX Smoke Black 6.5 60g
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 16.5 4W
  • Adams Idea Pro A12 3 Hybrid 20 & 23 - Matrix Ozik Altus S Flex
  • SRIXON ZX5 / ZX7 COMBO 5-PW
  • SM7 50.08F, SM8 56.12F, SM8 58 M 
  • Odyssey Tri Hot Triple Wide

• 2 weeks later...

I went through a 2 year patch where I did not play. I lost my swing and my wanting to play. My son who is now 12 at the time was 3 got me back into the game. He was playing with the tv on a Sunday he found golf on the tv and just sat and watched it. He then began to ask me for clubs to play. So I went out and bought him some and brought my clubs from the basement. And began to play again.  He is my golf buddy. Now my brother and I are playing more with my son who is 12 and my nephew who is 7 both are playing in drive chip and putt this year. My brohter is coaching my son and I am coaching my nephew. 

• Like 1

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I quit playing 10 years ago, mainly due to being a new dad. I've always sucked at golf (started playing around 16), but never really cared as I always had fun on the course as long as pace of play is reasonable (I suck, but play fast). I've probably broken 100 a dozen times.

One of those babies is now 11 years old and he's gotten me back into golf. One thing is different now... I've lost about 40 lbs (while putting on muscle)... My swing is nothing like before. I'm astonished. It's been 3 months and we've only gone to the driving range... We're going to play next week and I'm more than excited... not just because I'm having a great time w the boy, but I've never hit the ball consistently like I have been since I started back 3 months ago.

So yes, it lost it's charm for over 10 years. But now I'm giddy... I hope I can keep it together for 18!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely…. Typically just take two weeks off and of course get the itch again. 

• Like 2

Current WITB 2023...

• Callaway Epic Speed 9.5 - Hzrudus RDX Smoke Black 6.5 60g
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 16.5 4W
  • Adams Idea Pro A12 3 Hybrid 20 & 23 - Matrix Ozik Altus S Flex
  • SRIXON ZX5 / ZX7 COMBO 5-PW
  • SM7 50.08F, SM8 56.12F, SM8 58 M 
  • Odyssey Tri Hot Triple Wide

• 1 month later...

I'm going through it a little bit right now actually. My season is coming to an end, and it doesn't look like I'll be getting out soon. I'm also not playing particularly good right now either. I can feel the itch building in me though, so I will definitely have to make some time to go to the range at least. I guess my answer to the original question would be no, not completely, but it does ebb and flow.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I quit playing for about 2.5 years pre covid.  I was in a place where I was putting in a lot more hours at work and not enjoying the amount of money I was spending to how poorly I was improving as a player.   Dove headfirst back into golf about 2 years ago and it has been a long lost love ever since.  Honestly I think part of it is just where I am in life and my general outlook.  I take the game in stride, the good, the bad.  I am playing as good of golf as I have ever played and NEVER get tilted on the course. 

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

I find a new set of irons or really anything new like a shaft change on any club fires up the old "this could be it" feeling and I look forward to the next outing.

Sadly it has only really made a difference a couple of times and getting old makes me just appreciate the process and enjoy what is left. 

But I just bought new irons and a putter 2 weeks ago (just had too) so the thrill of seeing some different results is still exciting.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

Oddly enough, I commonly run into a month or so during the summer where I get burned out. Maybe it's literally the hot sun but I seem to play non-stop from March - June which is about 4 months. Sometime around July I tend to need a break. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Really been in a funk with golf the last couple years, hence a lot of my absence from the forum. 

still getting out and playing from time to time, and currently a +1.6 index over about 32 rounds this year, but it’s not as fun for me as it used to be. 

showed up at the course back in early May and pulled into my parking spot, sat there for a second, and just backed out and drove back home. Wife asked what was up as golfs always been my passion; and just told her I have no idea but I knew I didn’t have any interest in playing golf. 

she had me go seek some counseling and I was diagnosed with general anxiety and depression. Works been a nightmare the last couple years with excessive growth and market share increase. Good problems to have but it’s taken a toll on my mental health for sure. I’ve been on some moderate dose medication since then and it’s definitely helped. 

hoping to dive back into posting here more and finding fun in golf again!

• Like 3

I’ve stopped playing. A number of factors played a part but mostly the make up of my men’s club that I’ve been with for 30+ years has changed and not for the better. A lot of the members when I joined were older than me and have either passed away, or aged out of golf due to health issues. A lot of natural characters whose were fun to golf/ drink / bet with. What has replaced them is a bunch of boring personalities with no appeal. I realize things are changing in the world and in golf. Can’t control the world but I can control but I can control golf.

• 3 weeks later...

Played in a beautiful but cool New England afternoon yesterday afternoon. On one hole I ripped a beautiful tee shot which decided to fade to the right side of the fairway which was littered with tons of leaves. Never found the ball so I dropped another one and continued on playing.

I lost a few balls like this, which is why I play junky old balls in the fall. I'm not playing my $50 a dozen ProV1s when leaves are everywhere!

• 4 weeks later...

Twice

1st time

About 25 years ago

I went an entire summer with the Shanks.  

3 months I could not hit an iron

Stopped playing golf altogether

Next spring went out on a lark and stated to hit some balls and was fine

Have no idea what I was doing differently

2nd time

My Son was born and stopped playing for about 8yrs.

Came back 2 years ago and have been playing my best golf ever

I believe long layoffs help you forget all of your bad shots

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

No.

I'm addicted to the process.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

This is something I have experienced for sure. I am 36 and have played golf for almost 30 of those years. I studied the game and was a club professional for over a decade, and I chose to leave the business because of this. No matter how much you love something, sometimes a break is good. 

Personally, changing my role in golf from coaching/working in the industry has help to renew my passion. I am now a club member, and play more then I did when I turned professional. Even though I still study the game daily, I am now more focused on my own game and that has helped me enjoy the game more.

Golfs charm is still there for me, I can't wait to play.  It's many of the people on the golf course that lack charm.  Thanks to that segment and the desire of golfs leadership to grow the game, the game is changing to accommodate that segment.  A sad tenor of a weak society these days.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Life has happened before, forcing me to take a couple of two plus year breaks from the game. I certainly found that playing enough golf to savor each experience, without making it an absolute necessity to play to a certain standard, allows me to score best and enjoy the social interaction with a select group of friends. 

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Now, still come on here a lot and stuff and look at everything. Haven’t played a round of golf since my last tournament in mid October. Not itching to go out and play. probably because my season was terrible, like worst ever terrible. 

Have hit indoors on the sim since then just to maintain the swing but nothing else. 

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder Evolution IV 661 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM TP Soto CB

Ball: Taylormade TP5x