2021 LPGA Year in Review

Argonne69

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

Also, in addition to American players, more and more top players from South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Europe, Australia, Mexico and Canada are coming to LPGA. 

Are we talking about the same Canada that I live in?🤣

So you're telling me the like of Savannah Grewal, Monet Chun and Brigette Thibault will be LPGA pros?

IMO...unfortunately.....I can't say our male or female funnel is overly deep for PGA or LPGA future candidates.

Maybe it's the weather...IMO....countries with similar populations....Australia has developed far superior male & female golf pros vs. Canada.

Edited by KBong

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

In short, the tour is in good hands with the new commissioner Mollie Marcoux Samaan

So are you willing to say that if Smiley Mike was still commish we'd have a weaker 2022 sked with a smaller purse?

IMO....Whan had it right that 33-34 LPGA events is an ideal sked.

Quality vs. Quantity IMO.

I consider myself an avid golfer and pretty solid golf fan and I don't need to watch a watered down PGA tour & LPGA sked.

I can only imagine there is far less interest in the casual golf fan to watch golf.

There were 52 events in the 2020-2021 PGA tour....I maybe watched 20 events and not all of the 12 hrs of coverage per week.

I have no interest watching the tier B & C PGA tour events with a bunch of no names.

OK...I watched bits and parts of my recording of the Mayakoba for Sunday....only because Hovland was contending....IMO a PGA tour star.

I certainly would feel the same IF ....and a big IF.... the LPGA got to 42-45 events with a bunch of no names playing too.

I'm not concerned if the lower pros can or cannot make a living playing golf.

It's the stars on both tours that attractive the eyes to watch golf.

I think the top LPGA stars would be just as happy to see a 25 event sked with a $100M purse vs. a 42 event sked with a $100M purse.

I want to watch the star golfers on both tours and I surmise most golf fans feel the same way.....especially the casual golf fans.

I think most golf fans could not name 20 current LPGA pros.

Edited by KBong
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, KBong said:

I certainly would feel the same IF ....and a big IF.... the LPGA got to 42-45 events with a bunch of no names playing too.

If LPGA had 45 tournaments a year, it's absolutely great for the players.  The top players have more options to optimize their schedule and lower ranked players have more opportunities to earn a decent living.

As for us, the fans, we always have the prerogatives to decide what we would spend our time watching.

Remember, it's the sponsors who foot the bill for 45 tournaments and they have their reasons to do it.  It's not something for you and I to worry about.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KBong said:

And the REALLY POPULAR Nelly that no American company was willing to pay the rent for the front of her visor and staff bag...that Chris M had to cross the Pacific to shill and beg the Koreans for a sponsorship.

This is where your true color shows!

Nelly signed with Q-Cells (Hanwha Solutions of Korea) in her rookie season of 2017.  We don't know whether they've resigned and when the agreement expires.  Meanwhile, Nelly is sponsored by Franklin Templeton, Whoop and Cisco; all great American Companies.  She has many other endorsements too.

I would bet with you, Nelly will have a new hat sponsor in the next one or two years.

The rise of LPGA in media coverage:

Nelly-Jin Young rivalry ranks #1 on Golf Channel's 'Can't Wait for 2022' list.

As 2021 winds down, we can't wait for these things in 2022

"Nelly Korda vs. Jin Young Ko could be just what the tour needs as it kicks off a new era. Neither is Christina Kim in front of a microphone, but both are likable and still killers on the course. From a fan’s perspective, they are easy to root for, fun to watch and have the desire and ability to be better than everyone else in the game.

They were the only two players to hold world No. 1 this year and, combined, they won nine tournaments, one gold medal, Player of the Year honors, the money title and a major championship. Only one major? Good to have room for improvement in '22."

jyko_1920_cme21_d4_nkorda.jpg

I thought it was a great season - with some truly epic events and the emergence of a great head-to-head rivalry . And it even had a guest appearance from the great Annika!

Some things that others haven't mentioned:

• Sei Young Kim was the hottest player in the world just 12 months ago, but has fallen off the pace. In my opinion (and this is just a feeling I get watching her) she has taken this "mindfulness" concept too far, and especially with her putting. When she putts, she now takes an age over the ball, looking up at the hole and the intended path, and back to the ball, over and over - looking for that intuitive feel for what is going to happen. The more she does it, the worse she putts!! My feeling is, without stats, she has lost it in the very make-able 8-20 foot range, which was her strength.
  • Jessica Korda was the most over-covered/under-performing golfer. I get it. She drives beautifully and appears to have the tools to win more. Danielle Kang also - but in her case the broadcasters could not have anticipated her drop-off in form since she was the hottest ticket in golf 18 months ago. But, Tenacious D has fallen on hard times. In Gee Chun was the best player NOT covered, but as we know in club golf, consistency is NOT rewarded!
  • As a Lee6 fan-boy, I can't make her out! Leading the tour in birdies. But...nope, have nothing. Any thoughts? She is a grinder, but seems to put too much pressure on herself. She should win more.
  • Nobody was as pleased as me when Minjee won the Evian, but I was really disappointed at her lack of grace coming 2nd to Ga Eun Song at the Hana Bank Championship.
  • Leona Maguire is the the new best player not to have won on the LPGA. But who now gets the major monkey on their back, after Minjee lost it?

2022 will be interesting. I have a feeling Yealimi Noh will take a big step up.

• Like 4

On 11/26/2021 at 9:11 AM, AWinfortheAges said:

Who do we blame for the International Crown not being on the schedule for 2022? Mike or Mollie?

Mollie...she has collected about $200000 in pay for doing nothing...just sitting around 'listening".🤣

Ok...ok....the fault is with the LPGA team under Smiley Mike's reign.

The IC was cancelled I believe sometime in the early summer of 2020 due to the pandemic.

The LPGA should have had some inclinations even as early as the winter of 2020 whether IG would support a 2022 IC event cause the planning would have needed to be initiated early on.

If the LPGA is being running properly...they should have a constant & hopefully fairly deep funnel of suspect & additionally qualified candidates to sponsor future LPGA events.

Sponsorships are not static but a revolving door as some leave and others come on board.

The LPGA has failed to convince any of these sponsors to take on the IC so far.

Maybe the LPGA is not pushing the IC agenda cause the US is not so highly favored to win the IC anymore.🤣

As much as all the nonsense empty rhetoric coming out of Mollie, the LPGA and the media lately...I'm not convinced there are a ton of sponsors lined up to take on a LPGA event.

The 2022 LPGA sked has 34 events...it's simply back to approx the same # of events...pre-Covid.

And why is JTBC involved in some variations of sponsorship in 3 events in 2022?

Additionally...not a lot of courses are willing to host a LPGA event...especially how busy courses are in this pandemic era...will the golf play demand subside?...yes....but IMO...it will take a couple of years.

The pandemic just won't go away....it's no surprise another Covid variant has been announced...and let's not forget...the global population vaccination rate is low.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 10:34 PM, 18majors said:

Those are pretty good players; also, Maddie Szeryk will play Q-Series next week.

LMAO.

You talked about TOP  players from Canada coming to the LPGA.

The 3 players I noted are good players.

BUT

A FAR CRY at being LPGA caliber players...they are currently 173, 187 & 188 WAGR players.

Maddie won $7800 in 18 events in 2021 on the Symetra tour....yup she's a real threat for the LPGA....lol....Maddie is also 25...IMO....an age in women's golf where LPGA golf brilliance should have been demonstrated by now.

Seriously, so who are these TOP  Canadian female players coming to the LPGA that I'm not aware of.

That dope in your crack pipe must be amazing.

IMO....my litmus test cuts off at #10 on the women's WAGR list for future stars on the LPGA.

spacer.png

Edited by KBong

48 minutes ago, KBong said:

Seriously, so who are these TOP  Canadian female players coming to the LPGA that I'm not aware of.

I know you've a high standard for your country women because you love your country very much, I don't blame you.

Please calm down and take a look at whom Maddie Szeryk beat at Stage II of Q-School:

1.    Maja Stark:                          #6 at WAGR in July 2020
  2.    Gabriela Ruffels:                  #5 at WAGR
  3.    Olivia Mehaffey:                  #10 at WAGR

As of now, Maddie has the same chance as Jeeno to advance to LPGA if she plays well the next two weeks.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

1) I know you've a high standard for your country women because you love your country very much, I don't blame you.

2) As of now, Maddie has the same chance as Jeeno to advance to LPGA if she plays well the next two weeks.

1) You mean the country that created the man made virus that's making us all SUFFER?

2) LMAO....you do know that smoking crack at your age is very very DANGEROUS.

There are few Canuck golf pros that I like.

I'm not a fan of Lorie Kane. Alena or The Entitled Canadian Princess.

Maybe the only Canuck LPGA pro I like is AJ Eathorne.

I'm old as dirt but was still too young to follow 2 of my fav Canucks.....I never saw them play...Moe Norman and George Knudson.

I got Moe to autograph a hat at the 2004 CWO in Niagara Falls...he passed away 2 month later.

I think Mike Weir is a complete TOOL....and this is seeing him several times in Canada.

I can't imagine how RUDE, obnoxious and aloof he would be outside of Canada.

I can't say I'm a big fan of any of the current Canuck PGA pros.

BTW....I like to beat up on many of the Yank LPGA pros.

Just watching Mikela destroy the icy & difficult slalom course at Killington...while her competition struggled down the course.

I do enjoy watching Mikela's DOMINANCE.

WTH...Cara Banks is interviewing Mikela...who would have figured.

NBC is making her WORK...unlike the LPGA who allows their top officer to sit around listening and collecting a pay check.

Had a lot of fun during a university spring break to head down to ski at Killington...we might have been in a horrific accident....we just missed hitting a deer on the highway at night on the way down.

I do like Lindsay Vonn too.

I was too busy working at the time to head up to Whistler to watch her win gold in 2010.....I've seen a World Cup in Whistler...night & day watching the skier's speed and going over a jump in real life....it's crazy.

It was great hosting the 2010 Olympics here.....maybe the world should boycott 2022 and we can host it in 2023...lots of prep required.

Edited by KBong

On 11/27/2021 at 3:16 PM, 18majors said:

I know you've a high standard for your country women because you love your country very much, I don't blame you.

Please calm down and take a look at whom Maddie Szeryk beat at Stage II of Q-School:

1.    Maja Stark:                          #6 at WAGR in July 2020
  2.    Gabriela Ruffels:                  #5 at WAGR
  3.    Olivia Mehaffey:                  #10 at WAGR

As of now, Maddie has the same chance as Jeeno to advance to LPGA if she plays well the next two weeks.

Cheers!

I recall Pernilla Lindberg beating a pretty good field of players at the ANA in 2018. 3 top 10's since. Every dog has it's day.

• Like 2