How many AJGA events does your junior play?

Yep your correct a lot them are in the middle of the week.  I think they do that on purpose to keep parents away.

There hard to do unless you either work remotely or have a lot vacation.  The average kid Probably plays 2 or 3 at the most. 

Ajga also has host families at most events. I only know that exists and have no details on it but that could be an option if your lacking vacation time.

23 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

There are plenty you can play in that coincide with standard holiday breaks.

Unless you have a crazy amount of stars or an exempt player your chances of playing those events are slim to none.

Starting out with no status means you have to be flexible.   A lot of kids just avoid AJGA events and do fine because it just costs too much to do. 

Edited by tiger1873

45 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Unless you have a crazy amount of stars or an exempt player your chances of playing those events are slim to none.

Starting out with no status means you have to be flexible.   A lot of kids just avoid AJGA events and do fine because it just costs too much to do. 

Yes, applying to multiple events is common with AJGA.  If you get in you cancel the others during the same timeframe and get a plane ticket.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

9 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Yes, applying to multiple events is common with AJGA.  If you get in you cancel the others during the same timeframe and get a plane ticket.

It costs $10 for every tournament that you apply for after the 1st one if it's in the same week.  I learned real quick that is a waste of time and money to do that.   It's not that hard to figure if you are going to get in or not on AJGA they list everyone in order of priority.  If you're not in you just withdraw and apply for another one.

If an event is during a holiday and is in the start of the year I seen it as high as 75 or 80 stars to get in. So you either exempt of have a lot stars. Some events later in the summer are like 4 or 5 stars but usually those are mid-week.

To play in AJGA you need time off and money to travel more than anything else. If you don't have that it can be a challenge. The good thing is plenty of kids don't play full AJGA schedules but still get recruited or can do a lot in junior golf.

For the vast majority of kids AJGA is just a few tournaments a year they play.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tannerbug33 said:

Ok I have a Different question. When does the event open up for registration. Is it 30 days before are something like that.

All the other tour we play have a registration opens date. I can't open the 3 we are interested in.

January events are open now.  Feb / March are supposed to open up in January.  I want to say it's 6 weeks prior but AJGA does it more in monthly chunks instead of XX number of weeks prior to the event.

• Thanks 1

If I had to guess most play 2-4.

Funny thing is, if you are Fully Exempt you probably don't need to play all 5.  If you are not Fully Exempt you are probably limited to 2 at most.  In Florida if you aren't Fully Exempt you will have to Qualify or you won't get in.

AJGA travel is so expensive because of the number of days.  I still think AJGA for Girl's is a complete waste of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

If I had to guess most play 2-4.

Funny thing is, if you are Fully Exempt you probably don't need to play all 5.  If you are not Fully Exempt you are probably limited to 2 at most.  In Florida if you aren't Fully Exempt you will have to Qualify or you won't get in.

AJGA travel is so expensive because of the number of days.  I still think AJGA for Girl's is a complete waste of time.

Don’t agree with this.   I can tell you my kids coach that offered her took notice of AJGA.  I spoke directly to the coach on this.   If you can go to one that are drivable they aren’t much different than other tournaments expense wise.   Practice round is free for AJGA too.   Compared to some other tours where we paid over $100 for a practice round that is important. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jkhogbear said:

Don’t agree with this.   I can tell you my kids coach that offered her took notice of AJGA.  I spoke directly to the coach on this.   If you can go to one that are drivable they aren’t much different than other tournaments expense wise.   Practice round is free for AJGA too.   Compared to some other tours where we paid over $100 for a practice round that is important. 

I think a lot this depends on where you live and schools your are targeting. From what I can tell talking to parents of kids and looking at the latest recruits who have signed.  Outside the top 100 for girls it isn’t a deal breaker. Don't get me wrong it helps but there looking at a lot other factors too.

If your goal is attend a top 20 D1 school then yes you probaly need to play a lot AJGA events. The same can be said if you want a top amateur ranking as a junior. 

If the goal is to attend a good school it appears to me they want to see you play regional events and know your game can travel.  If your playing decent courses with the correct lengths and have some competition there going to take notice. I seen a lot coaches out there roaming non-AJGA events. I seen them at the bigger Peggy Kirk, FJT and HJGT events.  There has been everything from D1- DIII at those events.

That tells me there not only watching AGJA but other events. 

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 7:36 PM, tiger1873 said:

Yep your correct a lot them are in the middle of the week.  I think they do that on purpose to keep parents away.

It has nothing to do with parents. They do this because courses are more willing to give up weekdays than weekends. Especially private clubs that have to keep their members happy. 

You have to remember that AJGA events typically have very large fields so the course has to essentially close down for 3+ days to host an event. 

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Abh159 said:

It has nothing to do with parents. They do this because courses are more willing to give up weekdays than weekends. Especially private clubs that have to keep their members happy. 

You have to remember that AJGA events typically have very large fields so the course has to essentially close down for 3+ days to host an event. 

Yes, our course has hosted multiple AJGA events in the past and stopped a couple of years ago now because the members hate juniors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Yes, our course has hosted multiple AJGA events in the past and stopped a couple of years ago now because the members hate juniors.

People don't realize how much big tournaments can actually hurt a course. The prestige is wonderful but our home course turned down our 13 Under State Junior Championship for this upcoming year because they were already hosting the State Amateur and could not afford to lose that many days of revenue. People think that oh well they make money off Junior tournaments without realizing the lost revenue is pretty substantial for a public course and private courses the members get persnickety really quickly if they can't get a tee time. Alcohol sales alone that you lose for four days of a junior tournament would blow your mind.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

People don't realize how much big tournaments can actually hurt a course. The prestige is wonderful but our home course turned down our 13 Under State Junior Championship for this upcoming year because they were already hosting the State Amateur and could not afford to lose that many days of revenue. People think that oh well they make money off Junior tournaments without realizing the lost revenue is pretty substantial for a public course and private courses the members get persnickety really quickly if they can't get a tee time. Alcohol sales alone that you lose for four days of a junior tournament would blow your mind.  

It's not just junior tournaments either. I grew up near a course that hosted a PGA Tour event for years. My family wasn't a member there, but I had plenty of friends who were so I played out there a good bit. 

After about 10 or so years of hosting the tournament the members finally decided they didn't want to do it anymore. They were essentially losing their course for 3+ weeks during prime golfing season every year and they got tired of that. Being a private club they didn't need the exposure to attract more play/revenue and they weren't making much money off of the event so they ultimately made the decision to give it up.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

It's not just junior tournaments either. I grew up near a course that hosted a PGA Tour event for years. My family wasn't a member there, but I had plenty of friends who were so I played out there a good bit. 

After about 10 or so years of hosting the tournament the members finally decided they didn't want to do it anymore. They were essentially losing their course for 3+ weeks during prime golfing season every year and they got tired of that. Being a private club they didn't need the exposure to attract more play/revenue and they weren't making much money off of the event so they ultimately made the decision to give it up.

Definitely, our course talks about how they love hosting the State Am but it basically shutters the course for a week and really hurts their bottom line. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, Abh159 said:

It makes you wonder if there is an attitude among the PGA Tour et al. that "hosting is an honor so you shouldn't do it for money."  Maybe they need to start making it worthwhile for clubs to host.  

Just now, golfortennis said:

It makes you wonder if there is an attitude among the PGA Tour et al. that "hosting is an honor so you shouldn't do it for money."  Maybe they need to start making it worthwhile for clubs to host.  

Encourage drinking amongst the parents.