Collared Ferrule Issue Install Questions

russian7

Question, i notice when i install an iron with collared ferrule it always creeps up during install, how do you keep it tight into iron?

I keep pushing it down and wiping epoxy off and then let it dry but it seems they keep moving up with slight separation or after a few rounds they creep up.

I prep it all perfect and the ferrules fit dry so im not sure how to keep them down tight?

Thanks

There are a few reasons that this happens that I can think of:

- the collar on the ferrule is too long for the application (even a fraction of an inch will cause it to raise up),

- the hosel is not designed to use a collared ferrule,

- the ferrules are loose fit and you didn't use any epoxy under the ferrule.

For loose fit ferrules, you need to epoxy them on and sometimes you need to use a little bit of tape to hold them in place while the epoxy bonds. 

• Like 3

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

25 minutes ago, russian7 said:

Question, i notice when i install an iron with collared ferrule it always creeps up during install, how do you keep it tight into iron?

I keep pushing it down and wiping epoxy off and then let it dry but it seems they keep moving up with slight separation or after a few rounds they creep up.

I prep it all perfect and the ferrules fit dry so im not sure how to keep them down tight?

Thanks

Its simple to avoid that.

During install, BEFORE you use epoxy to the shaft/head, ad one drop of epoxy to the shaft tip and rotate the ferrule over it, and use the club head WITH tip weight (if any), to push the ferrule into its correct position.

NOW you are ready to add epoxy to the upper 1/3 of the hosel and the full length of the shaft tip, with the head hosel down, insert the shaft UP into the hosel while you rotate it.

This method both prevents the ferrule from climbing up on the shaft tip during play, but it also prevent to much epoxy from trying to enter into the shaft tip.

if done right, tip weights ventilation holes want be blocked, and can be reused (most of the time), and we get full bound without any issues from only 0.35 grams epoxy used (about 0.5 grams mixed, where we loose 0.15 on the mixing paper and as wipe off)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

During install, BEFORE you use epoxy to the shaft/head, ad one drop of epoxy to the shaft tip and rotate the ferrule over it, and use the club head WITH tip weight (if any), to push the ferrule into its correct position.

NOW you are ready to add epoxy to the upper 1/3 of the hosel and the full length of the shaft tip, with the head hosel down, insert the shaft UP into the hosel while you rotate it.

This method both prevents the ferrule from climbing up on the shaft tip during play, but it also prevent to much epoxy from trying to enter into the shaft tip.

if done right, tip weights ventilation holes want be blocked, and can be reused (most of the time), and we get full bound without any issues from only 0.35 grams epoxy used (about 0.5 grams mixed, where we loose 0.15 on the mixing paper and as wipe off)

My process was close but different, i marked where ferrule installed would end up at. I put epoxy on shaft and used ferrule to spin and hand push up about an inch, then i epoxied shaft and hosel turned club over with shaft on ground and tapped/pushed into place. The ferrule always creeps up so i then align shaft and hand push ferrule down to get close to the hosel but it still seems to settle with slight separation

The ferrule should not be loose enough to slide up the shaft on it's own during assembly.
Maybe you just have some bad ferrules.

• Like 1

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° (Adjusted to 8.5°) - ProForce V2 Black 6F4 S
Sub 70 949X 4 wood - ProForce V2 Black 7F4 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2 hybrid - KBS Graphite Tour Prototype 85S OR Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S

Srixon Z-765 4i, 5i - Srixon Z-965 6-PW - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S
Nike VR Pro 56°-14° - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S
Nike VR Pro 60°-10° - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S
Grips - Iomic iX Touch 2.0 / Sticky Opus Black

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army

Vessel Player III - 2019 Maxfli Tour

28 minutes ago, russian7 said:

My process was close but different, i marked where ferrule installed would end up at. I put epoxy on shaft and used ferrule to spin and hand push up about an inch, then i epoxied shaft and hosel turned club over with shaft on ground and tapped/pushed into place. The ferrule always creeps up so i then align shaft and hand push ferrule down to get close to the hosel but it still seems to settle with slight separation

If you dry fit the ferrule onto the hosel before assembly, how does it fit?  Do you have to force it down in any way?  If so, the collar is too long for that hosel and will always raise up during the epoxy process.  It should fit perfectly with no effort.

MCC Align Midsize

For any ferrule installation when I prep the shaft I also buff off about 1/8 inch showing above the hosel so when I apply epoxy the ferrule has something to adhere to.  I also take some coarse sandpaper and lightly buff the inside of the ferrule.  Add a dab of epoxy to the ferrule and swab it around with a tee and I'm good to go. 

Edited by cristphoto
  • Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 8:15 AM, Socrates said:

If you dry fit the ferrule onto the hosel before assembly, how does it fit?  Do you have to force it down in any way?  If so, the collar is too long for that hosel and will always raise up during the epoxy process.  It should fit perfectly with no effort.

It seemed to fit fine prior to install, but they just wont stay down once i install them. There was no force needed during install so maybe the ferrules i got from amazon are just a hair too big?? They were .355 but still slid right up

1 minute ago, russian7 said:

It seemed to fit fine prior to install, but they just wont stay down once i install them. There was no force needed during install so maybe the ferrules i got from amazon are just a hair too big?? They were .355 but still slid right up

Yeah dry they slide way up easy, how would i fix that now that they are all installed and riding up??16378744881374422044992484467545.jpg.c5102a2647aebdc05e3b5a0ba7bb1387.jpg

23 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Be sure to rough up inside of ferrule and any surface area that meets the hosel. That will usually take care of it. Some ferrules are very smooth so even if epoxy gets between hosel and ferrule it wont attach properly if its smooth.

I roughed up ferrule and shaft below it, i think ferrules were just too loose, what can i do now they theyre installed and sliding up?

8 minutes ago, russian7 said:

I roughed up ferrule and shaft below it, i think ferrules were just too loose, what can i do now they theyre installed and sliding up?

Dab of epoxy or super glue, slide it back down is about all you can do. Its been a while since it has happened to me but when it did id just remove the head and do it all over. I was always worried the epoxy didnt take on the shaft too. 

37 minutes ago, russian7 said:

Thats probably the issue, if they go in place without effort you will have problems, only way to make those work is epoxying inside the ferrule to the shaft. You definitely want them snug with a dry fit- to the point you are thinking you got the wrong size. Use a heat gun to warm it up then push it down in place with clubhead

35 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Thats probably the issue, if they go in place without effort you will have problems, only way to make those work is epoxying inside the ferrule to the shaft. You definitely want them snug with a dry fit- to the point you are thinking you got the wrong size. Use a heat gun to warm it up then push it down in place with clubhead

Yeah I bought them on Amazon and they were looser for the size than any others that I've tried... I just assumed if I push them down with the epoxy and prep job it should hold them but obviously it has not... the problem is I really don't want to have to go through and pull them and clean everything out and redo it all over again.

I may just do it and try other shafts as well while im at it haha!

17 hours ago, Red4282 said:

From the pic above, it looks like you didnt prep shaft far enough. If your counting on epoxy to hold it in place it needs to be prepped where the ferrule sits too.

No the prep area covers half the ferrule length, the pic is just showing how loose the ferrules dry fit on the shaft ...the shaft is an extra i had not one of the ones I installed in my irons. Seems the ferrules just might be a hair too loose

On 11/24/2021 at 7:29 AM, Howard_Jones said:

Howard, can you use regular ferrules without a collar on irons with a collared hosel?

Also brampton told me strength reduces 50% if you touch clubs before fully dried. They also said to put part A in hot water if it gets chunky sitting

I’ve had the exact same thing happen more than once with collared ferrules.  The dry fit fine, then the gap occurs when wet.  Push the shaft fully in and it lifts out again.  Weird.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
XR16 5 wood

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
6-GW Maltby TS2 irons, graphite
54 & 58º Wedges
some aggravating putter

3 hours ago, russian7 said:

Howard, can you use regular ferrules without a collar on irons with a collared hosel?

Also brampton told me strength reduces 50% if you touch clubs before fully dried. They also said to put part A in hot water if it gets chunky sitting

You can use non-collared ferrules.  Many times OEM's use collared ferrules to center the shaft if their hosels are larger (Ping for example).  If that is the case, you need to use a shim or something to keep the shaft centered.

At a certain point in the cure, it is very bad to move the shaft.  Anywhere between the end of the pot life of the epoxy and it setting up.

Depending on the type of epoxy, you can warm up the A & B to make them flow easier.  Some it will not work with and once they have gone off, they are done.

MCC Align Midsize

This happens to me too. I hate collard ferrules. I see on YouTube people use a piece of masking tape to hold them in place.

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed
Titleist 917 4 wood

Titleist TS2 7 wood

Cobra DWS hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Pro 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 GW
Vokey SM8 56M

Cobra LW

TaylorMade FCG putter

2 minutes ago, russian7 said:

I heard about that, so did they push them in place and then tape around the top?

Just a small strip lengthwise from hosel to ferrule to shaft. 

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed
Titleist 917 4 wood

Titleist TS2 7 wood

Cobra DWS hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Pro 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 GW
Vokey SM8 56M

Cobra LW

TaylorMade FCG putter

8 hours ago, russian7 said:

YES, but you loose the help from the ferrule to center the shaft, and if you use a countersink ferrule for a head for Collared, make sure the top of the hosel gets enough epoxy to make the "pillow" you see here, now with a bit different shape.

1339591899_ferrulescountersinkvscollared.JPG.1d50a4db434c972d2fc8ffae5ba9bbc6.JPG

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, russian7 said:

Yes, you can but If you have a lot of play in the dry fit with shaft in hosel, you can use drywall fiber tape and fill that void in the recessed hosel. Helps center the shaft. Ive done it and it works well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Yes, you can but If you have a lot of play in the dry fit with shaft in hosel, you can use drywall fiber tape and fill that void in the recessed hosel. Helps center the shaft. Ive done it and it works well

This stuff?

Duck Brand 282083 1.88-Inch by 180 Feet Single Roll Self-Adhesive Fiberglass Drywall Joint Tape, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076BO95I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_52YZ3NCW0FN9EDJKR291

Do you just cut same width as the hosel collar and mark that and then tape some strips around the shaft? I assume its self adhesive and you just install an epoxy over it?

1 hour ago, russian7 said:

This stuff?

Duck Brand 282083 1.88-Inch by 180 Feet Single Roll Self-Adhesive Fiberglass Drywall Joint Tape, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076BO95I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_52YZ3NCW0FN9EDJKR291

Do you just cut same width as the hosel collar and mark that and then tape some strips around the shaft? I assume its self adhesive and you just install an epoxy over it?

Yep, try a dry fit, i think with mine it took two wraps for the best fit. You will have ferrule in place on shaft, then apply the wraps just underneath it, making a collar of your own basically. It is self adhesive, although the the kind i bought wasn't really that sticky. You might do a search one here to find more info. 

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Yep, try a dry fit, i think with mine it took two wraps for the best fit. You will have ferrule in place on shaft, then apply the wraps just underneath it, making a collar of your own basically. It is self adhesive, although the the kind i bought wasn't really that sticky. You might do a search one here to find more info. 

Thanks.