2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Can 15 Year Old Clubs Still Compete?

GGalunga

Once upon a time, I was a club fitter/builder, then left the game, and recently had back surgery. So now with getting back into the game, recovering from back surgery, and selling off most of my equipment, I'm left with 3 sets of clubs, down from 10 , so I'm making progress haha. I built so many to try out and experiment with different heads, shafts, etc but I was always very picky about which clubs would stay in my primary set. So now that I have a different profession, I want to get down to 1 set of clubs.

I'm going through a similar approach to how I would choose clubs to be in my primary set.. Here's a snapshot of yesterdays session. 

iron compare 211123.png

The Srixon and KZG sets I build back in 2006ish The HMB's I traded for recently. Lofts were checked prior to hitting, All the other specs were recorded as well and will need to be dialed in a little more once the final set is chosen. I just finished PT and started fitness training again so I'm not as consistent as I used to be but it's a start and a process. 

9 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Irons and wedges will be fine unless you are chasing distance.  Woods are more forgiving across the face for sure and higher ball speeds in current lines vs. 15 years. 

I agree, I'm not too surprised by these irons numbers and I expect I'll see a wider gap when I go through my hybrid and wood evaluations. 

I recently took my old R510TP for a spin and it's about 8-10 yards shorter than my SLDR 430. But so is everything else...

If you can find the middle of the club face on your older stuff they will still compete as long as you don't mind hitting a 7-iron as opposed to a PW, both with the same loft.

• Like 3

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

1 hour ago, nitram said:

I recently took my old R510TP for a spin and it's about 8-10 yards shorter than my SLDR 430. But so is everything else...

If you can find the middle of the club face on your older stuff they will still compete as long as you don't mind hitting a 7-iron as opposed to a PW, both with the same loft.

I wasn't too surprised with the irons but yeah like your R510, I figure I'll seem more improvement with newer woods vs my Srixon Z-RW and Sonartec 3-wood

Yeah the loft jacking of clubs is also why I recorded all the specs on the irons first. Sure my Mizuno 6 iron is a little longer but it's also 36° vs 38° with the Srixon or KZG

• Like 1

Irons wise I saw no real difference between my '18 Hogan Edge irons or my Ping eye 2 BeCu irons. I dont have any monitors or what not but just course or range hits. I actually use the PW of the eye 2 plus set instead of my hogan PW. 

Drivers i would expect to see some advancements making newer drivers "better". Fairway woods as well. Not sure on hybrids as i do have an old nike hybrid that competes with my newer cleveland hybrid. 

my opinion only and i stink too. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

2 minutes ago, JahSteve said:

Irons wise I saw no real difference between my '18 Hogan Edge irons or my Ping eye 2 BeCu irons. I dont have any monitors or what not but just course or range hits. I actually use the PW of the eye 2 plus set instead of my hogan PW. 

Drivers i would expect to see some advancements making newer drivers "better". Fairway woods as well. Not sure on hybrids as i do have an old nike hybrid that competes with my newer cleveland hybrid. 

my opinion only and i stink too. 

I used to argue the point on drivers being about the same--- But I had a change of heart after getting my M-6 last summer-- But then again for some folks they get the perfect shaft combo for them and it continues to work

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

7 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I used to argue the point on drivers being about the same--- But I had a change of heart after getting my M-6 last summer-- But then again for some folks they get the perfect shaft combo for them and it continues to work

good point. if your losing 10 yards but are confident with the older driver/wood will hit the fairway no sense in getting a new driver for 10 yards more distance but 2nd shots out of the rough or worse.  

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

58 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

If you’ve had back surgery, consider graphite. While iron “tech” has advanced to some degree, mostly in terms of distance, the capability of modern graphite iron shafts is radically improved.

Definitely going to be more open minded about equipment as well and consider this. 

22 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Irons and wedges will be fine unless you are chasing distance.  Woods are more forgiving across the face for sure and higher ball speeds in current lines vs. 15 years. 

To your point about forgiveness with woods, for sure the newest model drivers 460cc the way they are constructed the misses are so much better than 15 years ago.  

• Like 1

My KZG blades are from around '01 I am told and were NOS I bought last year. The groves don't meet the '10 standard, but they are by far the best iron I have hit so far.

Are they still competitive, not legally. But yes, yes they are. It's a forged blade, how much has smashed steel "technology" advanced since then?

• Confused 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

We should encourage OEM's to change from the traditional numbers on the bottom of the club (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,P,G,S,L) to the actual loft numbers.  

That way, the marketing claims of increased distance in new products from technological advances could be more substantially proven.

It's been mentioned for years on this site.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dbleag said:

We should encourage OEM's to change from the traditional numbers on the bottom of the club (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,P,G,S,L) to the actual loft numbers.  

That way, the marketing claims of increased distance in new products from technological advances could be more substantially proven.

OEM's are not going to do that for many reasons, but the main one being that 90% of recreational golfers wouldn't know what they mean 

"but which is my 7 iron?"

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

14 minutes ago, Superbrit said:

OEM's are not going to do that for many reasons, but the main one being that 90% of recreational golfers wouldn't know what they mean 

"but which is my 7 iron?"

LOL---- True---- funny but true

Edited by BIG STU

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

My KZG blades are from around '01 I am told and were NOS I bought last year. The groves don't meet the '10 standard, but they are by far the best iron I have hit so far.

Are they still competitive, not legally. But yes, yes they are. It's a forged blade, how much has smashed steel "technology" advanced since then?

This is IMHO---- A lot of the so called adavnces could be the properity metal blends and the processes. But then again Mizuno does their own thing as does Miura and other JDM brands. BTW your KZGs are Kyoei forged which are great and combined with a good shaft gives great feel. And most of the JDM forging houses go off of traditional processes handed down through the generations. I have learned a great deal about steel blends from studying golf clubs and working in the scrap steel industry. Yep I will agree that those KZGs you have perform as well as anything made today. As far as "conforming" if you do not play stipulated events then play and enjoy them

• Thanks 1

To follow up on the comments about woods. I've found my persimmon driver is about 10 yards shorter and the smaller (less than 350 cc) metal drivers are the same as my 460 cc - provided I hit it on the sweet spot. Reality is as a 10 hcp, I miss the sweet spot more often than I nail it. So, my 460 cc has a better average length (about 5-7 yards) than 350 cc and 10+ yards than my persimmon. Great shot on persimmon will match the 350 cc and great 350 cc will match the 460 cc. Now if I could only learn to hit great shots !

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

This is IMHO---- A lot of the so called adavnces could be the properity metal blends and the processes. But then again Mizuno does their own thing as does Miura and other JDM brands. BTW your KZGs are Kyoei forged which are great and combined with a good shaft gives great feel. And most of the JDM forging houses go off of traditional processes handed down through the generations. I have learned a great deal about steel blends from studying golf clubs and working in the scrap steel industry. Yep I will agree that those KZGs you have perform as well as anything made today. As far as "conforming" if you do not play stipulated events then play and enjoy them

I would if I could find a 6 iron. 🤣

The lack of 6 gave me the opportunity to play a Mizuno MP32 and an MP68. Both were also amazing clubs, but it also reenforced the notion the KZG's were as good as I thought. I still have the heads and continue to search for a 6. But a 20 year old lefty blade 6 iron from a boutique joint isn't as simple to find as you would think.

• Sad 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

1 hour ago, dbleag said:

Why does this matter to so darn many people??? They launch higher and land softer, much different than any predecessor, so equal lofts flight WAY different anyway. Hit a Hogan Apex 2i vs a Cally Mavrik 4i, both 18*, let me know the results….

Equipment marketing is quite cutthroat, and maybe surprising to some, these companies are in it to turn a profit, not cater to the demands of a few disgruntled traditionalists. Even still, there do exist traditional blade/cb options out there to match your expectations, so these might suit you better. 

• Thanks 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

I would if I could find a 6 iron. 🤣

The lack of 6 gave me the opportunity to play a Mizuno MP32 and an MP68. Both were also amazing clubs, but it also reenforced the notion the KZG's were as good as I thought. I still have the heads and continue to search for a 6. But a 20 year old lefty blade 6 iron from a boutique joint isn't as simple to find as you would think.

Yep KZGs are a rare bird anyhow. A friend of mine who had a custom shop ( now retired) was a KZG , Wishon , Alpha and Infiniti dealer---- He turned me on to KZG a while back--- Not being mainstream so to speak they can be found cheap in Pawn Shops and used club stores. I know the lefty versions have to be hard to find because I have never seen any KZGs in lefty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A.Princey said:

Why does this matter to so darn many people??? They launch higher and land softer, much different than any predecessor, so equal lofts flight WAY different anyway. Hit a Hogan Apex 2i vs a Cally Mavrik 4i, both 18*, let me know the results….

Equipment marketing is quite cutthroat, and maybe surprising to some, these companies are in it to turn a profit, not cater to the demands of a few disgruntled traditionalists. Even still, there do exist traditional blade/cb options out there to match your expectations, so these might suit you better. 

Most people are only looking at the loft numbers--- The examples you mentioned the basic heads themselves are a totally different design and function. Plus shaft technology has changed so much between the design and manufacture dates on those clubs. I know exactly where you are coming frome here. Depending on the players needs I have put like newer shafts in older irons with good results. Now someone with good SS I can take like a softer tip graphite shaft and get some amazing results from that old Hogan Apex. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rwc356 said:

Great shot on persimmon will match the 350 cc and great 350 cc will match the 460 cc

As much as I love hitting with persimmon and even practice with one I hate to rain on your parade.  A solid shot with a persimmon driver will NEVER beat let alone match the distance of modern titanium driver based on the physical properties of the materials alone.  The COR for persimmon is .78 while titanium can go much higher than that, but is capped at .83.  Therefore, ballspeeds on well struck persimmon heads will always be lower than that of well struck titanium heads (and even steel) for a given clubhead speed.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

2 hours ago, A.Princey said:

Might make sense if club numbers actually had meaning.  But they don't.  They're an arbitrary reference.  That said....

"Higher and softer" has existed for 60+ years.  I was able to find it even within the relatively narrow field of classic blades.

Aside from that, I thought we needed to hit the ball higher because the modern ball spins less.  Doesn't reducing the loft further defeat the purpose?

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 hours ago, dbleag said:

I wish...

• Like 1