Houston clubs, regular weekend games?

golfingnomad199

Hi all,

I originally posted this regarding San Antonio, but my work is offering a salary 10k more annually by living in Houston, so I am focusing more on Houston at this point. Looking at the area, I plan to live around the Galleria/CityCentre part of town (not interested in living in the urban core - downtown or uptown/Montrose area, as I know some will mention this). I will be working from home full time, so commuting to work is a non-issue. Open to input anyone has regarding where to live as a single male in his 30s as well, really just don't want to be around a bunch of families with kids. 

About me: mid-30s, male, scratch handicap.

I am currently considering moving out of the DC area. It seems like there's a good amount of golf in Houston, both public and private. I would consider joining a private club if there's a decent regular game and the initiation fee is affordable (under 10k).  

My main question is if there's any regular games or groups that play at certain courses? Currently, we have a game at my club where we get 15-20 guys every Sat/Sun and we play a team game and skins for $20. This is fun, fairly casual, and a great way to meet people through golf. Seeing as I will know nobody in Houston when I move, I was wondering if there is anything like this at any courses in the area? I will likely be playing as a single at different courses around the area, so it would be great to have a regular game or group to play golf with if possible, either at a public or private club. I am aware of the Houston Amateur Golf Association, which sounds great, but seems like more of a tournament series than a regular game (similar to Golfweek Am Tour or GCAT). I would certainly consider playing some of these events, but meeting people in a tournament golf setting can be challenging as a more serious player if anyone can understand this.

Current clubs I was looking at were Champions, Westwood, Sugar Creek, Riverbend, and Braeburn. Memorial Park is also an option, but I doubt they have a regular group and it seems making tee times is a hassle (and pretty much can rule out a larger group with multiple tee times). Houston CC, Lakeside, and River Oaks seem nice, but also way out of my price range.  

Thanks in advance! 

Braeburn: Initiation currently 35K, rumored to be going up with the newly redesigned course. Terrible neighborhood (you can see a burnt out tenement building from one of the tee boxes, the club just got broken into last week and all the range balls stolen, thefts becoming more frequent). Also a permanent flood risk. 

Champions: 2 18s which is nice, great golf, minimal facilities. Last I heard initiation was creeping up towards 20K. Still haven't reopened/rebuilt the clubhouse since the freeze and just changed ownership

Haven't looked seriously into the other options you listed for variety of reasons (location, general reputation, etc)

Public options suck. Tee times are limited. Have to plan in advance for Memorial and as you said makes a regular game or bigger group difficult. Also if you are not living in City of Houston proper greens fees are now ~140

Good luck.

Thanks ND. Good information there. Don't really care about facilities other than golf as I don't have family or children to use them. All I need is a good course and a decent bar/restaurant to grab a beer or food after the round. I'll likely never use tennis, pool, or fitness center (there will likely be a gym at my apartment or I will get a membership to a gym nearby). 

Lived in Houston my entire life (I am 32) - great golf is its easily our worst quality, which is why I find myself traveling so often. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else though, if that helps ease your hesitation...I split my weekends between Memorial Park or Gus Wortham, Memorial snagging the majority since I live a couple minutes away AND it's my favorite course in Houston.

I have a buddy that's a member of Sugar Creek and I've been out there probably 5 times; all 27 holes are fantastic. Some of the best greens in Houston / surrounding area by far. Each time I have played there were no issues with condition. Decent practice area also. From what I remember him telling me, initiation isn't too crazy and neither are the monthly dues. It's in a decent area of town and the club is relatively young. Definitely should be on your list to consider.

Have you looked into GC of Houston also? I looked into joining last year and they have/had golf-only packages pertaining to anyone 35 and under. I've heard their Members course is better than Tournament (former home of the Houston Open), and you'd have access to both. Probably the best practice center in Houston. Initiation was either $10k or $15k, can't remember...

Edited by Lefty_89
  • Like 1

Thanks Lefty, really helpful. Definitely have to look into the clubs you mention. I wonder what happens after you turn 35 at GCH? I will be 35 when I move down there, so I will have to reach out and ask. I will be living near Upper Kirby/Galleria area, so that might be a little bit of a drive per Google Maps (~30-40 minutes).

Why would you not want to live anywhere else? Encouraging, but you don't hear that often regarding where anyone lives, haha. You can DM me if you don't want to air out on the public forums. 

Champions is my favorite and you can almost always find a game.

If you're willing to drive north I'm sure you would appreciate Carlton Woods and Wood Forest.

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           MCA Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           MCA Diamana X17 70X

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 19*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                  MCA MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101  7-P                                   MCA MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  52, 57, 60                MCA MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

13 minutes ago, golfingnomad199 said:

so that might be a little bit of a drive per Google Maps (~30-40 minutes).

This has been my problem and why I haven't joined a club. Any of the decent choices are a 40+ minute drive which pretty much rules out any weekday golf for me, ever. And even on the weekends it is a slog of a drive. 

I'm not gonna lie if I had the job flexibility I would probably take a 10K pay cut for San Antonio over Houston, and golf is really the main reason why. I have lived in GA, TN, TX, IN, MI and this is the worst golf city I have ever been in. 

• Like 1

Interesting. Why is the golf so bad? Is it the actual courses, pace of play, drivetime to get to courses? I kind of run into that issue in DC now, where all the nice public courses are at least 30 minutes drive, plus you have traffic, and you are paying north of $100 to play primetime. The public course I have a membership at is one of the rare exceptions, both in distance and cost. But even there it sometimes takes me 45 minutes to get there when there is traffic (it is 10 miles away). The nice private clubs around here are often north of $30k initiation (the really nice ones between 50-100k), dues are through the roof, and there is often a waitlist to get in. 

I’ve lived in Houston for 8 years, but I was born in SA, dad still lives there, and visit often. So, I’m your huckleberry.

I would posit that the cost of comparable living and cost of decent golf is so much higher in Houston that I don’t think the $10K differential is near enough to tilt the scale. However, I will say that—because you’re single—Houston is still the right choice by a long shot.  Just be prepared to put in a little extra effort and coin to play the game that we love. 

• Like 2

TSi2 | D, 4W, 4H | TENSEI AV RAW White

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

SM8 | 52.12F, 58.12D | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

I would pump the brakes. Strongly agree with the comment above. It cost FAR more than $10k per annum to live an equal lifestyle in Houston than it does in SA. Especially when talking about living in the galleria/tangle wood/memorial area as you are. I live in south Texas but do most of my business in these two cities and many of my clients and friends live in them.

If you aren’t stacked with cash SA is a much better place to live. Tons of great public’s and much more reasonable privates. Also great proximity to the hill country and courses.

Now all that being said I would love to live in houston if I was young and rich. That would be a hell of a time

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses guys. I think at this point, Houston is still the right choice due to the young and single argument. I will be making a little over 100k annually as a single male with no kids, so I think that should go pretty far in the area. I was really considering the Upper Kirby area, specifically the Camden Plaza Apartments. From census data (Yes, I'm a dork like that), it looks like the area fits the age range I am looking for (late 20s, early 30s). Also, it is very close to Memorial Park (5 minutes), and I can get up to other public courses north of the city in a reasonable amount of time (~30 minutes) with no traffic. I see Cypresswood holds small tournaments or skins games pretty much every weekend, so I would likely split my time between Memorial and Cypresswood, among others. 

Since I will likely be playing as a single at first, what is the walk on procedure at Memorial Park? Let's say I show up at 8am on a Saturday morning, do you think I will have to wait a while to get out? During the week probably won't be as crowded, so I am not as much concerned about that. I know these things probably depend on the day, but looking for people who may have had experience doing this. 

15 minutes ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Thanks for the responses guys. I think at this point, Houston is still the right choice due to the young and single argument. I will be making a little over 100k annually as a single male with no kids, so I think that should go pretty far in the area. I was really considering the Upper Kirby area, specifically the Camden Plaza Apartments. From census data (Yes, I'm a dork like that), it looks like the area fits the age range I am looking for (late 20s, early 30s). Also, it is very close to Memorial Park (5 minutes), and I can get up to other public courses north of the city in a reasonable amount of time (~30 minutes) with no traffic. I see Cypresswood holds small tournaments or skins games pretty much every weekend, so I would likely split my time between Memorial and Cypresswood, among others. 

Since I will likely be playing as a single at first, what is the walk on procedure at Memorial Park? Let's say I show up at 8am on a Saturday morning, do you think I will have to wait a while to get out? During the week probably won't be as crowded, so I am not as much concerned about that. I know these things probably depend on the day, but looking for people who may have had experience doing this. 

You'll need to register for a Resident Pass in order to book / play at Memorial for the Resident rate - everything you need can likely be answered here: VERIFY RESIDENCY | Houston Muni Golf. For that you'll need a gov ID stating that you live in Houston, so Texas DL should be high on your priority list once you move.

As far as actual bookings go, if you book outside of 3 days prior, there is a $15 fee. I typically book as a single myself and wait 2-3 days before, because the likelihood of someone cancelling is high; haven't run into a situation yet where I've wanted to play a specific day and can't find a decent time. There's also a walk-up list in the pro shop that will depend on the day on how quickly you'll be called. Haven't had to use this option before so others can advise. You'll be surprised to find that weekday tee times are very slim.

To put it in perspective, tee times open up online 2-weeks in advance at 6am. If you login at 6:05am, all weekend tee times before Noon will likely be gone.

Edited by Lefty_89

Just now, golfingnomad199 said:

Thanks Lefty, definitely looks like tee times are competitive for the prime time weekend slots. How is the pace of play? I would expect it to be at least a little slow (4.5-5 hours), but anything more than 5 hours can get brutal. 

Happy to help - I am out at MP nearly every weekend; I've dubbed it my home track.

Pace of play is obviously dependent on time of day. My last two rounds have been 9am or earlier and I've gotten around in about 4.25 hours. Now if you have a 2pm Saturday slot, you will definitely be pushing 4.5-5. I haven't had a 5 hour round in quite some time though.

Course is typically in good / very good condition; we are reaping the benefits of great conditions right now thanks to the Houston Open a few weeks back. Most times they will send out an email when the next course maintenance / aeration days are, in advance. Incredibly walker friendly - even in the rare occurrence it's not cart-path-only, I walk each round. Downside is there are a good amount of amateurs that play MP and they do a very poor job (if any at all) to respect the course, which is unfortunately to be expected at a muni. This also adds to the average PoP.

Sounds great as far as the pace of play, I would be expecting it to be a clown show out there with cart path only and the value of the course (especially it being a course the Tour visits each year). We currently have that issue at my home course which is open to the public. It gets a lot of play since it's such a great value, but little respect for the course (repairing ball marks seems to be the biggest, I fix a few marks on nearly every green). We have Bermuda fairways so the divots grow in pretty quick, even if you don't sand them. 

Do you usually go as a single, or do you have a regular group? I've played as a single many times in the past before I joined my current home course, and it was really hit or miss who you got paired with. But as long as they moved along, it was fine (not searching in the woods for 10 minutes each time they lost a ball, LOL). 

For Memorial Park - walk on waiting list is hours. I have seen guys waiting when I started and still waiting when I turn at 9. 

Cypresswood - Scramble events I have decided I will never do another one. Last one pace of play was 5.5 hours and the winning group came in with like a 49 despite looking like they could barely walk straight. 

Livinng - can't speak to that specific complex but I don't love the area around Richmond and 69, especially near Kirby. You're going to be surrounded by strip malls and its always loud. 

If you want Upper Kirby neighborhood, I'd look a little further north - even just getting up towards Alabama or Westheimer makes a big difference. 

39 minutes ago, golfingnomad199 said:

Sounds great as far as the pace of play, I would be expecting it to be a clown show out there with cart path only and the value of the course (especially it being a course the Tour visits each year). We currently have that issue at my home course which is open to the public. It gets a lot of play since it's such a great value, but little respect for the course (repairing ball marks seems to be the biggest, I fix a few marks on nearly every green). We have Bermuda fairways so the divots grow in pretty quick, even if you don't sand them. 

Do you usually go as a single, or do you have a regular group? I've played as a single many times in the past before I joined my current home course, and it was really hit or miss who you got paired with. But as long as they moved along, it was fine (not searching in the woods for 10 minutes each time they lost a ball, LOL). 

I've met a few guys over the past year or so, became friends, and now try and link up together when we can. I'd say right now about 75% of the time I book as a single though, just because it's tough for everyone to commit to a tee time 2 weeks out, if booking in advance. So much more flexibility as a single. I've never had to use the walk-up list. People cancel in the 24-48 hours leading up to it.

Thanks again everyone. As for Cypresswood, I wasn't planning on the four man scrambles, you are just asking to get pencil whipped playing any four man unless you play in eightsomes, which is painful haha. They apparently have two-man scrambles, so hopefully that eliminates the cheating aspect of it. Pretty sad though when you have to cheat in a scramble to win a $50 gift card. 

• 2 weeks later...

I moved to Houston about 11 years ago from, similarly the DC area where I grew up.   I do think the public scene is better in Houston because DC is dominated by country clubs (which are nicer than Houston without question) and the public courses in DC are either super expensive for what you get or they are dog tracks.  

When it comes to publicly accessible golf courses, the group is correct that MemoPark and Gus are the best that are close it to Houston.  I play both fairly often and they are both good courses.  MemoPark is typically a 5 hour round, so be prepared for that.  If you're a scratch golfer, you will find Gus to be very short and quite easy.  While everyone is correct that private clubs aren't that great (and even what are considered the top 3 have their flaws), they are better than what I found in the public.  You live similar in location for me, so I will use that as a reference.

- Champions is a good track with serious golfers.  Since you are single, it seems to be closer to what you are looking for, although it is a bit of a trek depending on where you live.  I have no clue what the cost is (but the 20k membership fee above is for a full member, the Junior is closer to $5k), but I believe they don't have a waitlist for regular, not sure about juniors.  It is a bit of a drive (30 mins no traffic; 50-60 in traffic) where you have to make a fairly big effort if you just want to go and hit balls for an hour.

- Riverbend would be my next pick as I have heard there is a good young membership there.  It isn't a family CC as the facilities outside of the course and mens locker room are not good.  There is member turnover, but the course is nice and I hear there are good younger players and weekend games going on.  I believe there may be a waitlist, but due to the turnover, it shouldn't be too long.  The buy in is marginal based on your age, like $2k or less.  It's also like 15-20 mins from where you propose to be (without traffic).

- Sugar Creek is more family oriented and more expensive than Riverbend.  If I were in your shoes, it wouldn't be attractive 

- Westwood is a golf only facility.  I like the course.  It is fairly open, has length and the practice facilities are good (I really like their inside 100 yard area).  I am not sure what type of games they have on the weekends.  I believe JR membership is 10k and no waitlist.  This is the closest of the group in distance, but similarly to Braeburn, not in the best neighborhood.

- Braeburn is more of a family oriented place and more expensive then the others on this list.  It's almost right next to Westwood.  They just renovated the course and should be one of the better courses in Houston.  It partially reopened this weekend.  There is currently a waitlist for all categories of membership and the JR is 15k if you are under 40.  BCC has good practice facilities, locker room, pool, etc.  It is in a bad neighborhood but within 15 mins driving from most of the wealthier neighborhoods that belong there.  I went thru a similar exercise you did (although I have a family with kids) and joined Braeburn.  I'd invite you to play a round, but the course isn't open to guests until next year due to the partial, soft opening.  Regardless, let me know your timing and maybe it could work.

This all said, I think Champions, Westwood and Riverbend are the obvious frontrunners based on what you want. 

In terms of nicest: champions > Westwood > Riverbend.  

Proximity: Westwood > Riverbend > Champions

Value: Riverbend > Champions > Westwood

I'd recommend you go take a look at each.  They all are open to new membership so they'd be happy to host you for a round.

Thanks again Mark! I will look into those you mentioned. I think I might just play Memorial Park, Gus, and the Cypresswood two-man and skins game the first year or two, then look into private membership once I am sure I will settle in the area. I won't likely find a regular group, but I would hate to drop an initiation fee, then be looking to move out of the area in a couple years if I happen to not like it. You really can't beat the $38 to play a PGA Tour stop, and Gus doesn't look half bad. I actually like shorter, older-style courses, which it looks like what Gus is. You can always turn a par 5 into a par 4 to make it seem more challenging. I am not really a long hitter anyways, pretty average as far as an amateur tournament player goes (carry 260-270 off the tee). 

I think that is the right approach (playing the publics for now).  I took a similar approach (at least to buying a house in Houston).  Cypresswood traditions is a great course, as is MemoPark and Gus.  There are some good golfers down here and the people are considerably more hospitable/nice versus the DC area.  Enjoy Houston!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 10:24 AM, golfingnomad199 said:

Thanks again Mark! I will look into those you mentioned. I think I might just play Memorial Park, Gus, and the Cypresswood two-man and skins game the first year or two, then look into private membership once I am sure I will settle in the area. I won't likely find a regular group, but I would hate to drop an initiation fee, then be looking to move out of the area in a couple years if I happen to not like it. You really can't beat the $38 to play a PGA Tour stop, and Gus doesn't look half bad. I actually like shorter, older-style courses, which it looks like what Gus is. You can always turn a par 5 into a par 4 to make it seem more challenging. I am not really a long hitter anyways, pretty average as far as an amateur tournament player goes (carry 260-270 off the tee). 

So hows it been going? Good, bad and ugly..

Posted (edited)

Haven't moved down there yet. Wouldn't move down until August, at the earliest. Honestly, having some doubts as far as the golf goes, as we have games at my home course here in DC every Saturday and Sunday with 3-5 foursomes each day (and pretty much everyone is really down to earth and some great players as well). If I move to Houston, I would likely be playing as a single and getting paired up with random people, which as most of you know, is hit or miss (mainly a miss in my experience, but YMMV). Unless I join a private club, but I really want to see if I like the place before committing to something like this. Also, there are so many tournaments here, as we have the Maryland and Virginia state associations, plus the Washington DC Metropolitan and Middle Atlantic associations. Unless I am missing something, it looks like there's only the TX Golf Association down there, and doesn't look like there's a bunch of tournaments and it's obviously very spread out since TX is so large.  

There's definitely some positives to moving there as well, such as the weather, less political, less restrictions (COVID), etc. But I'm having a hard time justifying these things right now TBH. The weather here isn't too much different, as winters are colder, but I think that might offset the extreme heat and humidity of Houston summers (DC is similar, but above 5-10 degrees cooler on average). 

Edited by golfingnomad199