MtlJeff's Blade/Players-Distance/SGI winter extravaganza (Now featuring 40% more dogs!)

MtlJeff

Nice heads.  Nice thread 

I hit the gen 4 st heads and loved them

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Nice. I will have a similar setup shortly. I almost bought a set of the ST's because I can get them with MMT shafts for what I paid for my Haywood heads. 

But by January I will have my Takomo 101's (goo filled) to go with my BGD split cavities and my Haywood blades. I will have the same shaft and grip on all of them. I wish I had a launch monitor, but my goal is as many dry days as possible this winter. I am curious how each plays. 

I will be following your endeavors.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

5 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Nice. I will have a similar setup shortly. I almost bought a set of the ST's because I can get them with MMT shafts for what I paid for my Haywood heads. 

But by January I will have my Takomo 101's (goo filled) to go with my BGD split cavities and my Haywood blades. I will have the same shaft and grip on all of them. I wish I had a launch monitor, but my goal is as many dry days as possible this winter. I am curious how each plays. 

I will be following your endeavors.

Thanks! I'm really keen on giving everything a real go. Right now i can say with total honesty i have no idea what i'm going to be playing next season. I played Forged TECs all of last season, but played G410's in my club championship and onward.

I got the 0211's with the Elevate Tour Shaft. For a blade i feel like this will work for me, considering i often struggle with launch with smaller clubs.

I'd like to hear about your trials too!

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

@MtlJeff make sure you score some of the new Trackman enhanced ProV1s to get the best comparison numbers.

Anything else would be flying in the face of good science. Plus you get to buy something else. Win-win!

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 minute ago, jvincent said:

@MtlJeff make sure you score some of the new Trackman enhanced ProV1s to get the best comparison numbers.

Anything else would be flying in the face of good science. Plus you get to buy something else. Win-win!

I gotta take a break LOL....I just bought some new custom Wu-Tang headcovers and a new bag that matches the color scheme.

Gonna make sure i actually buy things for ....you know, my wife and kids and stuff. Christmas and all

• Like 4

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just now, MtlJeff said:

I gotta take a break LOL....I just bought some new custom Wu-Tang headcovers and a new bag that matches the color scheme.

Gonna make sure i actually buy things for ....you know, my wife and kids and stuff. Christmas and all

Like they're going to notice a box of golf balls........

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

8 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Thanks! I'm really keen on giving everything a real go. Right now i can say with total honesty i have no idea what i'm going to be playing next season. I played Forged TECs all of last season, but played G410's in my club championship and onward.

I got the 0211's with the Elevate Tour Shaft. For a blade i feel like this will work for me, considering i often struggle with launch with smaller clubs.

I had never considered PXG before because the price and they were very busy looking. But the ST's are a nice clean look that I can dig and PXG does military discounts on top of a good price on the 0211, so I like to support companies that do that. 

But I have been waiting all year for the Haywood lefty MB's. The Takomos just sort of happened. I will likely be playing the MB's next year and might be getting a 4 and 5 CB if I'm in over my head with the blade set. But I am supporting small shops and trying cool lefty gear. It's a win/win.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

2 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I had never considered PXG before because the price and they were very busy looking. But the ST's are a nice clean look that I can dig and PXG does military discounts on top of a good price on the 0211, so I like to support companies that do that. 

But I have been waiting all year for the Haywood lefty MB's. The Takomos just sort of happened. I will likely be playing the MB's next year and might be getting a 4 and 5 CB if I'm in over my head with the blade set. But I am supporting small shops and trying cool lefty gear. It's a win/win.

I like to support small shops too , totally get it. I normally do it with putters

In fact i have a putter order i'm working on now that i can't really talk about. But also really psyched about. When i can say more i will share details (it's someone not in business yet officially)

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

In for a follow. Excited to see the results. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

37 minutes ago, lefthack said:

The Takomos just sort of happened

The ultimate WRX statement right there.  

Hey you got new irons?  Had you been looking at some?  Not really, it just sort of happened.

Same explanation for coming home at 1am reeking of booze to an irate spouse.

• Haha 3

This is great news! I'm already looking forward to your posts.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

27 minutes ago, Lasorcier said:

The ultimate WRX statement right there.  

Hey you got new irons?  Had you been looking at some?  Not really, it just sort of happened.

Same explanation for coming home at 1am reeking of booze to an irate spouse.

Seriously, I blame WRX. Somebody posted up about them a little while back. I thought they looked cool, but as usual, no lefties. But I told them if they did, for $350, count me in. They did. 🤣 

BGD only did 15 sets of lefties the first run and I think they might still have half of them left. It's only been 6 months, but it's still a small market and a tough sell. So I gotta put my money where my mouth is.

• Like 2

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Curious question about ST's .....are they also .370 parallel tipped like the rest of the PXG lineup? 

I'm lefty too and grabbed a great set of P760s to compete with i210s 

I210s more forgiving;  P760 smaller but better feel and turf interaction.....I'm experimenting with shafts including elevate.  

Keep us posted on your experiences. 

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

How did you enjoy the Forged Tec irons this past season? I've been messing with a ZX5/ZX7 (Recoil 95) combo set, i210s (AWT 2.0), and most recently the 2021 T200s (Steelfiber 95). Went and tested a bunch of heads and shafts Friday and the Srixons are probably out. The i210s are so consistent it's stupid, but I was hitting the T200s so much farther than everything, including the P790, which just seems to be the gold standard. What I found out in all the testing was I can handle a much smaller club than I thought and I need Steelfiber 110 (or PX IO 6.0). I definitely should NOT have hit the Miura CB-301s, because those things have been in my head since last Friday. Even at the 20% off right now, I can't do it.

I did not get to hit the Forged Tec irons, but from everything I've seen about them, plus the recent James Robinson videos has made me want to order a set. Just waiting on what Cobra is going to release in the next iteration.

I am also following this because I'd love to do this myself and I can live vicariously through you and the PXG 0211 ST has me intrigued as well. Can't wait to see your thoughts!

Titleist TSR3 9° / Fujikura Ventus Blue w/ Velocore + 6S, 45.25"

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5° 3W / Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S, 43"

TaylorMade Qi10 18° 5W & 21° 7W/ Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 72g S

Ping Blueprint-S 5-PW / Project X IO 6.0 110g / Power Spec

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 58.10 S / Project X IO 6.0 110g

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5 2024 / 34.5"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray/Red/Orange

I have the Elevate Tour shafts in my TEE EXS Pro Blades and they're pretty awesome.  You're gonna be hitting moonballs like Rory.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

11 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

In for a follow. I might grab a set too. The price is silly. Lead tape across the PXG and you've got a clean set of MBs with some "tech" help. Also a fan of bigger blades. 

Lead tape across a PXG????? Man I love it!!!! That would drive some of the prim and proper PXG fanboys nuts 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Just now, OnTheBag said:

Following along as well.  Interested in the what you find out.

It will be good trust me--- Jeff makes very insightful posts with a hint of dry humor---- He has also written quite a few articles on here which are good----- So buckle in and hold on it will a good smooth ride

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

6 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

It will be good trust me--- Jeff makes very insightful posts with a hint of dry humor---- He has also written quite a few articles on here which are good----- So buckle in and hold on it will a good smooth ride

I noticed his dry humor in the first post.  I'm looking forward to a good read.  

• Like 1

Oh dear lord why do I read these threads. 

Just picked up new Mizuno 921 HM 6-P with the PX IO 6.0 shafts at a smoking price and this thread pops up.

So I went in to PXG site to kick the tires.  Came out the other with 0211 DC 6-G and Elevate 95 S std length 1 up. Just got the confirmation of order lol.

Their strategy is working. Had planned to start looking for lightly used P790 local after xmas. 

Why bother when PXG has this going?

Apparently I am all in on game improvement and heading to the dark side,  bwahaha 🤣 

Looks like I’ll be hitting the heated range in December.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, over7par said:

How did you enjoy the Forged Tec irons this past season? I've been messing with a ZX5/ZX7 (Recoil 95) combo set, i210s (AWT 2.0), and most recently the 2021 T200s (Steelfiber 95). Went and tested a bunch of heads and shafts Friday and the Srixons are probably out. The i210s are so consistent it's stupid, but I was hitting the T200s so much farther than everything, including the P790, which just seems to be the gold standard. What I found out in all the testing was I can handle a much smaller club than I thought and I need Steelfiber 110 (or PX IO 6.0). I definitely should NOT have hit the Miura CB-301s, because those things have been in my head since last Friday. Even at the 20% off right now, I can't do it.

I did not get to hit the Forged Tec irons, but from everything I've seen about them, plus the recent James Robinson videos has made me want to order a set. Just waiting on what Cobra is going to release in the next iteration.

I am also following this because I'd love to do this myself and I can live vicariously through you and the PXG 0211 ST has me intrigued as well. Can't wait to see your thoughts!

I really like the Forged TECs, which is why ordering the PXG's made zero sense at all, it was just something i really did for fun.

The TECs to me are a fantastic iron that will a very large group of players. They look very classy in the bag especially with a little lead tape. They have a real blade like appearance, only bigger. The topline is pretty medium sized, the head shape is in line with clubs like the P790. They are bigger than my old 2016 Apex Pros for example.

Feel is pretty muted and smooth. Definitely not a hollow sound like you get with some of the Ping irons.

I would highly recommend them, they come with basically any shaft at no upcharge too. I got mine with Modus Tour 130s--no upcharge

• Thanks 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I have a couple of weeks to wait before i get my 0211s, but i'll just start by giving my specs and why i have them as such.

A little about me: I am a low index (0-1 handicap) who hits a pretty medium ball flight. One area i struggle a bit with is hitting 4-5 irons high enough. So this is why in the smaller clubs i tend to go with higher launching shafts , that are at most mid spin

1) Ping G410 w/ DG S300: These i can afford to use S300 because Ping G's launch balls to the moon. I hit my G410 4 iron significantly higher than even my Cobra 5 iron. I'll give launch numbers in a couple of days when i can get on the LM

2) Cobra Forged TEC w/ Nippon Tour 130s: These give me a nice medium ball flight. Definitely high enough to be playable with all clubs in the bag.

3) PXG 0211 ST w/ TT Elevate Tour: I went with the stock offering from PXG because the spec (higher launch / mid spin) sounded perfect for me for blades. Especially when i get down to the 4-5 irons.

For reference, when warmed up these are my approx distances , but i'll provide more specifics as the thread goes

5 iron = 185 yds ~

7 iron = 165 yds ~

9 iron = 140 yds ~

My feeling is i hit the Cobras a tad longer due to a bit stronger lofts in some cases, and a more penetrating ballflight.

• Like 4

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I love your posts @mtljeff 

I played Haywood Signature irons for 12 months now, Vancouver all year round golfer here. Really like them but always open to new iron offerings. I bought my Dad PXG 0211 DC 5-GW in senior flex. Price drop a couple of days ago left me a credit and a conundrum...buy a high end PXG putter or 0211 DC 5-PW. I have avoided the 0211 DC urge so far and ordered a PXG One and Done double bend putter.

Must resist.........must resist the 0211 DC urge calling me to buy!!

MTLJEFF, keep the updates coming!!

Edited by Break68
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

So, while i wait for my Blades i took some numbers with my Cobra and Pings. 6 shots with each, that it took me maybe 7-8 swings to get to. I discarded any bad ones but mostly i was hitting it well today so even the "bad" ones were decent.

I think the main takeaway was that i was more consistent with the 5 iron of the G410. The 7 irons made very little difference. This already isn't looking super great for the blades. However , it's not like my numbers with the Cobra were bad. Just you can tell the strike has a bit lower smash factor. Dispersion was pretty similar with both so i didn't add those numbers

Ping G410 5 iron Carry Spin  Launch
  184.5 4410 13.3
  185.7 4580 13.3
  187 4280 12.5
  184.9 4560 13.4
  186.6 4460 13.5
  188.1 4550 13.7
Ping G410 7 iron Carry Spin  Launch
  166.3 5300 16.9
  168.5 5140 17.1
  172.7 4547 15.6
  166.5 5250 16.7
  172 4990 15.6
  167.3 5060 16.3
Cobra Forged TEC 5 iron Carry Spin  Launch
  182.2 4199 11.9
  181.4 4630 13.7
  187.2 4650 13.5
  182 4630 14.1
  179.4 4600 13.1
  185.5 4370 12.9
Cobra Forged TEC 7 iron      
  170.2 5260 15.4
  164.8 5370 18.1
  168.8 5260 16.4
  161.5 5240 17.1
  167.2 5200 17
  166.2 5000 16.9

Edited by MtlJeff
  • Like 3

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• MtlJeff changed the title to MtlJeff's Blade/Players-Distance/SGI winter extravaganza (Now featuring 40% more dogs!)