2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MtlJeff's Blade/Players-Distance/SGI winter extravaganza (Now featuring 40% more dogs!)

MtlJeff

33 minutes ago, mshills said:

This.  Got to know who made them, too!

The ones in the pic are them--Made by Dormie Workshop. They say "I bomb atomically" on them

I wanted to get some truly custom ones but they were very expensive and there were copyright issues

Originally i had asked them to do all black with the WuTang symbol, and have it say "Jacques Cousteau could never go this loooowwwww"

But it woulda run me a ton of cash. Probably almost as much as the PXG irons

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

23 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Well at least he ate the box. I had some stuff come the other day and my wife put it in the corner for me when I came home. She said our 15 month old Frenchie sniffed it and determined it was nothing to eat and promptly peed on it.

Fellow Frenchie owner 😂😂😂 sounds about right!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

The ones in the pic are them--Made by Dormie Workshop. They say "I bomb atomically" on them

I wanted to get some truly custom ones but they were very expensive and there were copyright issues

Originally i had asked them to do all black with the WuTang symbol, and have it say "Jacques Cousteau could never go this loooowwwww"

I should have looked closer….Those are sweet! Have heard Dormie makes awesome stuff too. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

13 hours ago, Highlander 24 said:

Fellow Frenchie owner 😂😂😂 sounds about right!!

LOL she also added he snorted and walked away in disgust--- Yep they are cool funny dogs

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I only brought my 0211's because it's my first chance to hit them and i only had 30 minutes. So no comparo's today but did get to hit my PXGs for 30 mins

I was very, very impressed. Keep in mind i said i'd been striping it lately but i was shocked at how easy they were to hit--especially with the Elevate Tour shaft. When struck pure, you can 100% feel the Elevate shaft having a different bend profile than shafts like the S300 or Modus 130. It does shoot the ball up in the air a bit which helps with blades

I had zero issues hitting the 4 and 5 irons. I think the Elevate shaft really helped but when struck pure i really got good launch--even better launch than my Forged TEC.

The most surprising thing to me was the distance. I was absolutely nuking them. This didn't make a whole lot of sense to me as the lofts are weaker, but some combination of launch and spin is just getting these out there. I'll need to compare notes with my Cobra numbers next time

I carried 6 iron over 190 a few times today. I didn't hit my G410 or Forgec TEC 5 irons that far on any of my swings a few weeks ago. I carried the 4 iron 214yds on one swing with a 15.5 degree launch. I'm pretty sure that was higher than any of my 5 iron launches with the Cobras

What kind of sorcery is this?

• Like 4

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I only brought my 0211's because it's my first chance to hit them and i only had 30 minutes. So no comparo's today but did get to hit my PXGs for 30 mins

I was very, very impressed. Keep in mind i said i'd been striping it lately but i was shocked at how easy they were to hit--especially with the Elevate Tour shaft. When struck pure, you can 100% feel the Elevate shaft having a different bend profile than shafts like the S300 or Modus 130. It does shoot the ball up in the air a bit which helps with blades

I had zero issues hitting the 4 and 5 irons. I think the Elevate shaft really helped but when struck pure i really got good launch--even better launch than my Forged TEC.

The most surprising thing to me was the distance. I was absolutely nuking them. This didn't make a whole lot of sense to me as the lofts are weaker, but some combination of launch and spin is just getting these out there. I'll need to compare notes with my Cobra numbers next time

I carried 6 iron over 190 a few times today. I didn't hit my G410 or Forgec TEC 5 irons that far on any of my swings a few weeks ago. I carried the 4 iron 214yds on one swing with a 15.5 degree launch. I'm pretty sure that was higher than any of my 5 iron launches with the Cobras

Since this thread instigated my purchase it’s only fitting that I finally got to the range today with the DC’s. I have the 6-G with the Elevate 95g in stiff.

I only took 6,8,P,G but my experience mirrored MtlJeff’s minus quite a few yards, ha.

It was about 43F when I hit the range.

They use the Wilson yellow range rocks. You’d never know it from hitting the DCs. Surprisingly I hit most of them center, I did smother heel draw a P and a 6 which resulted in less than perfect results. Otherwise the irons and shafts felt terrific. The irons are cushiony, just a nice smoosh when the head meets the ball. The flight for me wasn’t what I’d call flat, they just got up and out. I hit mostly fades as that’s the direction my swing has taken me. Age and associated back leg issues have changed my takeaway somewhat. The irons were very accurate, even the two I smothered were online, just short by roughly 10 yards. The thing I am most pleased with is dropping an iron with more sensible gaps.

My yardages today (based on the yardage flags at the range):

6i 170 to 180

8i 150 to 165 

P  120 to 130

G  105 to 115

The 165 yard 8 iron was the only shot I tried to step on and it flew with just a bit of fade right on the flag.

I only hit 5-6 balls each iron, my sciatica acted up last night and I surely didn’t want a repeat performance today on the range lol.

Overall the 6 is what a 4-5 used to give me bitd and just step it down from there. The yardages were what I had hoped given the strong lofts. Hooray for me, that’s a win.

The Elevate shafts have their own feel.

Not like a Project X PI or PIO, not like S300, not like KBS so I can only say they seem to do what they are intended to with silky finesse. 
My 6 iron trajectory  today was slightly up from what I used to hit a 4 iron at. The flight today just kinda got up there and went, fairly soft on landing. I know these range rocks pretty well so should be good as far as  descent and spin.

Coming off a year where I played only a few 9 holes here and there I am extremely happy with how it went today. 

Pretty stoked going into 2022.

Edit: I also got to hit several drive with my new to me Maverick Max and oh my I’m on a roll. Seems I remember a thread about it somewhere😜

Edited by tannyhoban
Adds
  • Like 2

Chapter 3: Ain't nothing but a G thing, baby

So, since the last one was kind of fun....I thought, "true average" is a great game, why not do it again? But as George Costanza would say "Wanna get NUTS, Then let's get NUTS!!!!". I thought to dive into this forgiveness thing right away, let's get right down to it. No more pleasantries anymore! We're gonna throw a blade 4 iron against an SGI 4 iron and call it a fair fight

Today i hit 10 shots with 4 irons and 6 irons---Except with the Ping G410 versus the PXG 0211 ST

Battle of 6 irons: (26.5 degree G410 vs 28 degree PXG)

I'll be a bit briefer today because you get the gist. But we saw some similar results here to the Cobra test. Once again i hit the ball really, really well today so forgiveness wasn't a huge factor here. That being said my worst shots once again were with the PXGs, same as the 7 iron test i did earlier. I averaged 177yds with the PXGs with a 16.7 degree launch. My worst shot of the day was 169yds but i had several over 180yds. My dispersion was very good with both the PXGs and the Pings. The G410 i made 10 really good swings and didn't really mishit any balls so as you might expect the numbers are a bit better. I averaged 183 yards with a 16.0 degree launch. I had several balls in the 15.5 degree launch range with the Pings, but had a couple of high ones that brought up the average

Verdict: Not really sure, based on my testing the other day--I kind of expected this to go exactly how it did. Maybe the pleasant surprise here is again--How high i can launch blades with the Elevate Tour

Battle of 4 irons: 20.5 degree Ping vs 22.5 degree PXG

Gentleman , hold onto your hats. There was almost no difference here. Honestly launch and distance was so similar i would say the clubs performed almost exactly the same. There was a slight launch advantage to the PXGs (14.6 degrees versus 14.2) AND a slight distance advantage (198 versus 196). My worst shot of the day was with the Pings (a 179 yarder) so all in all the Pings were further on well struck balls---But this is not the point of True average! The SGI's were hoisted on their own petard! I hit 10 balls pretty darn well with a PXG blade, and again launched a 4 iron at 14.6 degrees. I was super stoked about that!

Verdict: I hit 10 good balls in a row with a blade 4 iron and launched them higher than a SGI 4 iron. I mean different shafts and lofts---But that alone is impressive.

• Like 3

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

BTW so much for those Modus 130s being higher launch right? I launched a 20.5 degree 4 iron (G410) 1.5 degrees higher than than a 23 degree Forged TEC 5 iron

Didn't see that coming

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

May I suggest alternating clubs with each shot? Just to keep you from getting too comfortable.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

20 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

May I suggest alternating clubs with each shot? Just to keep you from getting too comfortable.

And spin 10 times in a row in-between 

• Haha 2

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

26 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

Today I did 10, then 10

But then I took a few no pressure swings with each (alternating randomly mostly) just to see if my numbers made sense. 

For example, My PxGs are lighter than my G410s , so I was worried about seeing a swing speed boost if I used them 2nd. Stuff like that

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I love this thread!  Like many on wrx I struggle with what I believe is good for my game and what I like to look at.  I’m not quite as good or as long as you are, but am a low to mid single digit so reading your take is great.  Especially since you have generally played the sort of irons I feel would benefit my game, while I have never gone blades but played smaller, less forgiving heads.  Mostly I’m just in for the data and your take on the different clubs but I am starting to worry that I’m going to end up with a set of blades, right when I had decided to go bigger and order the Mizuno 225’s.  Great thread and thank you for sharing.

other thoughts:  I might need to get a Kim Campbell headcover.  I am completely unaware of who they are and the election they got smoked in.  But it would be funny for my wife and I when someone asked me about my custom headcover and I could, with a straight face, reply “Kim Campbell lost in a landslide in the 2009 Canadian election.  I wanted to memorialize it with a headcover”.  The absurdity appeals to me.

Last thought:  I’ve got a 3/4 Aussie 1/4 poodle that looks and acts like 100% Aussie.  They are wonderful.  They are a handful!  With almost no effort we taught ours to catch and bring back a frisbee.  That easily transitioned into her retrieving wedge shots for me.  Wife made me get some foam balls as she was worried about her teeth, but it is still fun.  I wish there was anything in the world I liked doing as much as she likes chasing that frisbee or golf ball…enjoy the pup, they are wonderful.

• Like 1

Ok, the 4 iron results are interesting. I would not expect them to be that similar considering the head size and loft differences. 

I was not hitting the stronger lofts as far as I had expected, but I was looking at on course, not launch monitor info.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

7 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Ok, the 4 iron results are interesting. I would not expect them to be that similar considering the head size and loft differences. 

I was not hitting the stronger lofts as far as I had expected, but I was looking at on course, not launch monitor info.

I mentioned, but I think my mishit with the Ping was something like 170yds (sorry on my mobile and my notes are at my computer) . So really, the Pings are longer. But the "true average" game was really more about forgiveness in the truest sense. It happens my worst shot was with the Pings. 

But so far I've been very impressed with the launch of the 0211/elevate combo

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Awesome pup Jeff! Way more interesting than any silly golf thread. 

Here is my Lincoln: he’s just turned a year. His mama was apparently and Aussie. No clue on the dad. He’s great. 

FA1F49AA-DD71-49D6-B128-D2435743D9E4.png

• Like 4

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

31 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I mentioned, but I think my mishit with the Ping was something like 170yds (sorry on my mobile and my notes are at my computer) . So really, the Pings are longer. But the "true average" game was really more about forgiveness in the truest sense. It happens my worst shot was with the Pings. 

But so far I've been very impressed with the launch of the 0211/elevate combo

Glad to hear the 0211's seem to be working out.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

On 12/17/2021 at 12:24 PM, MtlJeff said:

I’m not super shocked. I have a titleist MB set that still holds the record for ballspeed for me.  If you hit them middle. The mass behind the ball is faster than the flex face in my findings.   

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 12/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, MtlJeff said:

Oh man… girlygolfer.com it’s $60-70 a headcover. She does great work. 

71F66015-C0BA-49E7-81EE-D373BA6F0347.jpeg

466B717F-F853-4EEE-8B66-DD5C60954151.jpeg

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

10 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

Kudos to you, Craigers!

Haha. Exactly. 

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

On 12/25/2021 at 6:33 PM, HoosierHacker89 said:

Awesome pup Jeff! Way more interesting than any silly golf thread. 

Here is my Lincoln: he’s just turned a year. His mama was apparently and Aussie. No clue on the dad. He’s great. 

FA1F49AA-DD71-49D6-B128-D2435743D9E4.png

That dog's pappy is 100% pit bull, guaranteed. 

• Like 3

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

On 12/25/2021 at 8:31 AM, jomatty said:

I love this thread!  Like many on wrx I struggle with what I believe is good for my game and what I like to look at.  I’m not quite as good or as long as you are, but am a low to mid single digit so reading your take is great.  Especially since you have generally played the sort of irons I feel would benefit my game, while I have never gone blades but played smaller, less forgiving heads.  Mostly I’m just in for the data and your take on the different clubs but I am starting to worry that I’m going to end up with a set of blades, right when I had decided to go bigger and order the Mizuno 225’s.  Great thread and thank you for sharing.

other thoughts:  I might need to get a Kim Campbell headcover.  I am completely unaware of who they are and the election they got smoked in.  But it would be funny for my wife and I when someone asked me about my custom headcover and I could, with a straight face, reply “Kim Campbell lost in a landslide in the 2009 Canadian election.  I wanted to memorialize it with a headcover”.  The absurdity appeals to me.

Last thought:  I’ve got a 3/4 Aussie 1/4 poodle that looks and acts like 100% Aussie.  They are wonderful.  They are a handful!  With almost no effort we taught ours to catch and bring back a frisbee.  That easily transitioned into her retrieving wedge shots for me.  Wife made me get some foam balls as she was worried about her teeth, but it is still fun.  I wish there was anything in the world I liked doing as much as she likes chasing that frisbee or golf ball…enjoy the pup, they are wonderful.

My first Boston Terrier loved golf balls period. One day I was in the yard hitting little poppers with a 60* and she was catching them in the air. Now in those days I was pretty good with a 60 because I practiced and played every day. I got to thinking if I skull one hot it might kill her. I ended up getting some whiffle balls for play with her. But as you can imagine she was rough on the whiffle balls

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

2 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

My first Boston Terrier loved golf balls period. One day I was in the yard hitting little poppers with a 60* and she was catching them in the air. Now in those days I was pretty good with a 60 because I practiced and played every day. I got to thinking if I skull one hot it might kill her. I ended up getting some whiffle balls for play with her. But as you can imagine she was rough on the whiffle balls

My first Rottie used to wear me out, so I taught her to fetch golf balls. I would take my 5 iron down to the park and make her shag balls for an hour. My Rottie now wouldn't get off the couch unless food is involved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

• MtlJeff changed the title to MtlJeff's Blade/Players-Distance/SGI winter extravaganza (Now featuring 40% more dogs!)