Jump to content

Anyone playing a very high swingweight driver ? D-6+


MagicMan79
 Share

Recommended Posts

Had a bit of an ah-ha moment in the simulator yesterday while tinkering with driver swingweight.

So I play MOI matched irons that are all +1.00” - 1.5” in length. 1/4” increments from Gw all the way up to 4i. Short iron heads are lightened and long iron have added weight. Wedges are E-1 and scales down to D-7 in the longer irons. They are all long and heavy but the MoI matching and building at 1/4” increments has been one of the best things I’ve ever done , équipement wise. Never hit my irons this straight and hit as many greens. I hit 17/18 greens once this year and that was my best by far

 

My driver SS is 120-122 , and been doing some shaft tinkering since the weather has gotten cold. I like the feel of my driver at D-3, but have been struggling with a high toe miss that I just can’t shake on occassion.

I’ve added weight to drivers while in my garage and measuring swingweight. And anything at D-4 and heavier feels like a battle axe

 

So in the sim yesterday, same thing with driver - good ball, high toe, high toe, good ball..

This is a Sim2 8* with Diamana TB 60 tx, at just under 46” long. Driver in upright/square setting on adapter

 

I started moving and swapping weights, and was not influenced by my swingweight scale. Started pounding it after I added almost 7g to the head, which is quite a bit. Carrying 315-320 pretty consistently 

 

Get home and of course had to put it on the scale. It’s like D-6.2 , an absolute 🔨 

 

Never thought I’d hit it so well with such a head heavy setup, but it is what it is! Maybe it helps load the shaft that tiny bit more where my timing just matched up? Or the SW just matches my irons now so I can just swing it with the same tempo 

 

Was just curious if anyone else was swinging or had success with driver @ D-6+ ?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My driver has been D6-D8 for years now, but I also play it short (44.25"). In my experience, additional weight can help calm down certain swing mechanics that might otherwise be a little overactive. It can slow tempo, make you complete your backswing, and keep you from pulling down too hard from the top, all things that are helpful for high speed players if any of those can be issues. My initial tendency when attempting to swing a driver at speed as long as what you're using is to whack it off the toe as well. Too much length gets me feelling cramped up ironically and I lose a ton of spine angle and really flip the club from the inside. That is mostly mechanical issues, but I know to not mess with drivers that long on the course (yet). 

D6 at that length is not really heavy at all to be honest. SIM2's are coming stock at D5 these days, so I wouldn't think at all about the number. Let the on course results by the judge while keeping on eye on weight related flight problems (blocks, timing issues, fatigue etc). 

  • Like 4

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Diamana DF 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti 15* Kuro Kage DCXM 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist 915FD 18* Fujikura Motore VC 9.2 Tour Spec X 
Srixon ZX Utility 20* HZRDUS Red 105 6.5 || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TS3 10.5*, Diamana 'ahina 6x.  Swingweight is D7.  Its a sledgehammer, but when I'm fully warmed up, I know I can rip through the ball with this thing and it will retain the stable feel I want.

 

I don't use it all the time - on many holes on the courses around here, I would roll through the fairway and into trouble.  But its a lot of fun when I get to tee one up with this.  

 

I have an "alternate" driver (I consider it a 2W): a 12* 917D2 that plays at D6 and won't roll out past 270.  That gets much more play in most rounds...

  • Like 1

Titleist TS3 10.5*: Graphite Design BB 7S

Titleist 917D2 12* Tour Issue: Graphite Design XC 7X

Titleist 818H2 19* (set at 18*): Tensei Pro White 90X

Grindworks PR-202: Modus3 120X

Vega VW-08 50* (set at 48*): KBS 610 Wedge 125

Honma TW-W4 52*: Modus3 120X

Mizuno S18 54* DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Titleist ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was swinging 46" driver at E0 for a while.  Super heavy.  It's at like D6-D7 now.  Really helps with tempo for me, I usually get really quick in transition.

  • Like 2

Callaway TD LS 9 - Accra TZ5 M5 

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 TX

Callaway Apex TCB Raw 4-P X100

Vokey SM7 50,55,60 S400

TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46.25” … 4 drivers with me here in Myrtle at E0.   
 

other guys hit my drivers, note the heavy feel but inevitably hit them well

 

irons running d9-e3 

  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* PX 6A4 7.0x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* GD AD DJ 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Fuji TS 8.2s

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* Matrix 92x

Cally Apex ‘19 5h 26* Matrix 92x
Srixon ZX7 6-9 PX Catalyst 6.5
Ping Glide OG 46*, 50*, 54* & 59*ES SF 125s

Piretti Matera Elite torched
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input guys. Y’all crazy swinging D-9 and E-0 drivers 😂

 

I might keep going and get it up to D-7 or 8, now I’m curious!

 

The thing for me is that the overall static weight can’t get too high. I have a Fuji Pro 2.0 7x , I believe it’s 79g un-cut, and that thing feels like a tree branch getting it around….but it goes pretty straight 

 

Im wondering how a 50 tx and 200g head would be @ 46” 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MagicMan79 said:

Thanks for the input guys. Y’all crazy swinging D-9 and E-0 drivers 😂

 

I might keep going and get it up to D-7 or 8, now I’m curious!

 

The thing for me is that the overall static weight can’t get too high. I have a Fuji Pro 2.0 7x , I believe it’s 79g un-cut, and that thing feels like a tree branch getting it around….but it goes pretty straight 

 

Im wondering how a 50 tx and 200g head would be @ 46” 

 

 


Balancing your static weight with headweight/swingweight/length is definitely a process. And you're right, most of the time folks are going to gravitate towards lighter shafts at longer lengths for the purposes you mentioned. Today's shaft construction is churning out far more stable products in the 50g/60g weight class than in years past and people have been taking advantage of that for these long bomber setups. 

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Diamana DF 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti 15* Kuro Kage DCXM 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist 915FD 18* Fujikura Motore VC 9.2 Tour Spec X 
Srixon ZX Utility 20* HZRDUS Red 105 6.5 || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, MagicMan79 said:

Had a bit of an ah-ha moment in the simulator yesterday while tinkering with driver swingweight.

So I play MOI matched irons that are all +1.00” - 1.5” in length. 1/4” increments from Gw all the way up to 4i. Short iron heads are lightened and long iron have added weight. Wedges are E-1 and scales down to D-7 in the longer irons. They are all long and heavy but the MoI matching and building at 1/4” increments has been one of the best things I’ve ever done , équipement wise. Never hit my irons this straight and hit as many greens. I hit 17/18 greens once this year and that was my best by far

 

My driver SS is 120-122 , and been doing some shaft tinkering since the weather has gotten cold. I like the feel of my driver at D-3, but have been struggling with a high toe miss that I just can’t shake on occassion.

I’ve added weight to drivers while in my garage and measuring swingweight. And anything at D-4 and heavier feels like a battle axe

 

So in the sim yesterday, same thing with driver - good ball, high toe, high toe, good ball..

This is a Sim2 8* with Diamana TB 60 tx, at just under 46” long. Driver in upright/square setting on adapter

 

I started moving and swapping weights, and was not influenced by my swingweight scale. Started pounding it after I added almost 7g to the head, which is quite a bit. Carrying 315-320 pretty consistently 

 

Get home and of course had to put it on the scale. It’s like D-6.2 , an absolute 🔨 

 

Never thought I’d hit it so well with such a head heavy setup, but it is what it is! Maybe it helps load the shaft that tiny bit more where my timing just matched up? Or the SW just matches my irons now so I can just swing it with the same tempo 

 

Was just curious if anyone else was swinging or had success with driver @ D-6+ ?

Total weight and swing weight are the two most important factors of a golf club in my opinion as they speak to the mind's eye and help you feel the club moving in space around you. I gradually added weight to my driver in 10 gram increments until I found my perfect fit...which occurred after I had added some 50 grams.  At first it didn't even register on the swingweight scale but now that I play Jumbomaxx grips it swingweights at F9 along with all of my other clubs but I absolutely love the sledge hammer feel as it is exactly the reason why I loved wooden bats over aluminum ones when I played baseball. 

 

Your club's distribution of weight should "trick" you into hitting the ball inline with the CoG. This will create trust and efficiency in a given club and it is paramount to playing your best.  I don't even question it anymore as I now just accept that I have to manipulate the specs of a club to fit what I want to feel and now I can set up a club very quickly as I know exactly what I want to feel in a club and my feel is personal to me and is likely not for anyone else and that is fine.  Going from D3 to D6.2 isn't really a dramatic change but give it time and see if the feel of the club head stays with you as I found that initially when I added weight it felt dramatic...but then a few months later I was losing the sense of the club head and had to add more and retest.  Eventually you hit the sweet spot though and then I made note of that spec and can recreate it on future clubs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive been D5-D7 for the last 6-7 drivers at 44.5" on all my custom builds and I tend to error on the D4-5 when its a lower launch lower spin fade biased head coupled with the more tip/mid active shaft...like SIM OG with a Ventus Red. For say a SIM MAX 2 (higher seeming launching a little higher spin head) paired with an Ventus Black, Atmos TS Black, or Speeder TR always go on the D6-7 side which seems to allow the shaft to have a little more feel seemingly.  Of course this is subjective and anecdotal in nature but certainly notable in my results, FWIW.

 

I play weights and combos that allow me to feel like I can go hard and my miss isn't OB...while my great swings and tempos are rewarded with max numbers for me.  When I get into the looser shaft profiles with too much kick, it gets ugly cause then I am trying to slow it down and stuff doesn't feel proper.

  • Like 1

 

TM SIM2 MAX 10.5/ACCRA TZ6 65 M4/GP TW BLK 

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-7/PX IO 6.0/GP TW BLK

PXG GEN3 0311T 8-GW/PX IO 6.0/GP TW BLK

PXG 0311 FORGED 56/10 & 60/09/PX IO 6.0/GP TW BLK

TM SPIDER X CHALK CS/PX 6.5 BLK OUT/SS PS 1.0 BLK/WHT

TM TP5X 2021

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never measured swing weight, not even once. I suspect that mine has usually been high, as I've always used ultra light shafts and grips since they first became available. That being the case, while my swing weight may be high, the static weight is low, and that's what works best for me. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did some tinkering and fine tuning this year. Settled on a driver setup which is the tm sim @9* fujikura ventus black 6x, playing at 45. Swapped sliding weight to and 18 gram one, and as a joke left the lead tape I had on it just to see what would happen. Couldn't miss the middle of the face LOL. After about 20 balls it felt like a bit more work than I'd like so I removed one of the 4inch strips and it's perfect. I can really feel the shaft load up, and my driving has never been better. Did the "math" apparently it comes out to D8.8. Might have to experiment with the irons too now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of heavier swingweight with my driver and woods.  I scale the swingweight a bit based on the shaft weight.  With the 7m3 or HZRDUS 75 in driver, I'm at D6-D7.  When I used a Motore Speeder 6.3 or HZRDUS 62, I went to D8-D9.  It's the only way I get any feel for the club if I go that light with shaft weight.

 

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 2:38 AM, MagicMan79 said:

Thanks for the input guys. Y’all crazy swinging D-9 and E-0 drivers 😂

 

I might keep going and get it up to D-7 or 8, now I’m curious!

 

The thing for me is that the overall static weight can’t get too high. I have a Fuji Pro 2.0 7x , I believe it’s 79g un-cut, and that thing feels like a tree branch getting it around….but it goes pretty straight 

 

Im wondering how a 50 tx and 200g head would be @ 46” 

 

 

Rip phenom 50tx …. Awesome at 46.25

Ping G400 Max 10.5* PX 6A4 7.0x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* GD AD DJ 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Fuji TS 8.2s

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* Matrix 92x

Cally Apex ‘19 5h 26* Matrix 92x
Srixon ZX7 6-9 PX Catalyst 6.5
Ping Glide OG 46*, 50*, 54* & 59*ES SF 125s

Piretti Matera Elite torched
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yikes that heavy terrifies me.  I went 20 grams over where I usually am between a shaft and weights in the head and I felt like I couldn’t get out of my own way.  Felt like I was swinging a piece of road construction rebar.  

Edited by Phabs

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2021 at 4:49 PM, Valtiel said:


D6 at that length is not really heavy at all to be honest. SIM2's are coming stock at D5 these days, so I wouldn't think at all about the number. Let the on course results by the judge while keeping on eye on weight related flight problems (blocks, timing issues, fatigue etc). 

 

Yeah I think you might need to beef up a little bit if you find that feels heavy.

 

I did play a stupidly heavy driver in a hire set in China a few years ago, and hit it great, no idea what make it was but I suspect it was 300cc, very stiff and maybe 3 wood length.

 

I have played around with a lot of added driver head weight, shorter lengths etc. since then and never got close to that feeling again.

 

Be interesting to see if you can take your new driver to the course. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, cardoustie said:

46.25” … 4 drivers with me here in Myrtle at E0.   
 

other guys hit my drivers, note the heavy feel but inevitably hit them well

 

irons running d9-e3 

I've seen you post a few times about your heavier SW's and always interested - how did you end up determining this works for you? Really heavy head weight or do you also play heavier shafts? I guess longer shafts enable a heavier SW more easily.

 

Yeah, I know, trial and error etc but what led you down this path - did you start out with heavier SW's?

 

I note that clubs of some year's past were heavier SWs, and I found this about a driver Ben Hogan gamed:

One club where the swingweight definitely was not similar is the driver, which checked in at a swingweight of G-2 -- reported to be the heaviest ever measured at the USGA test center.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ben-hogan-secret-clubfitting

 

Channelling Ben?

 

  • Like 1

Srixon Z785 10.5° XCaliber T6+ S 44.5” //  Cobra F8 14.5° XCaliber FW S 43” //  Cobra F7 18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 S 42.5” //  Titleist 818H1 19° @ 21° Project X EvenFlow 6.0 S 90G 40.5” // Srixon Z565 4, 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  Wilson Infinite The Bean 34" Super Stroke 2.0XL+//  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

I've seen you post a few times about your heavier SW's and always interested - how did you end up determining this works for you? Really heavy head weight or do you also play heavier shafts? I guess longer shafts enable a heavier SW more easily.

 

Yeah, I know, trial and error etc but what led you down this path - did you start out with heavier SW's?

 

I note that clubs of some year's past were heavier SWs, and I found this about a driver Ben Hogan gamed:

One club where the swingweight definitely was not similar is the driver, which checked in at a swingweight of G-2 -- reported to be the heaviest ever measured at the USGA test center.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ben-hogan-secret-clubfitting

 

Channelling Ben?

 

 

I used to love D6 back in the day when my clubs were all plus 1/4 or plus 1/2

 

Then a few things happened.  Back surgery x 3 in 2007 … and I experimented with lead tape

 

So I needed longer irons overall to make it easier on my back and I found out a few things the pro’s did .. heavier and flatter in shorter irons

 

Had Quite a few “Cardy MOI” sets built where the 6i was D6 and blended a point per iron to the wedge being E0 … that’s a good system if you keep all your longer clubs at D5

 

Then a handful of years ago I started a short irons / taller golfers thread and Tom Wishon told me to lengthen my wedges …. And there you go.  Once you have your wedges running E3 you want a heavier feel in the rest of the set

 

  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* PX 6A4 7.0x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* GD AD DJ 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Fuji TS 8.2s

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* Matrix 92x

Cally Apex ‘19 5h 26* Matrix 92x
Srixon ZX7 6-9 PX Catalyst 6.5
Ping Glide OG 46*, 50*, 54* & 59*ES SF 125s

Piretti Matera Elite torched
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

 

I used to love D6 back in the day when my clubs were all plus 1/4 or plus 1/2

 

Then a few things happened.  Back surgery x 3 in 2007 … and I experimented with lead tape

 

So I needed longer irons overall to make it easier on my back and I found out a few things the pro’s did .. heavier and flatter in shorter irons

 

Had Quite a few “Cardy MOI” sets built where the 6i was D6 and blended a point per iron to the wedge being E0 … that’s a good system if you keep all your longer clubs at D5

 

Then a handful of years ago I started a short irons / taller golfers thread and Tom Wishon told me to lengthen my wedges …. And there you go.  Once you have your wedges running E3 you want a heavier feel in the rest of the set

 

Thanks and can see this makes so much sense.

 

So I'm guessing you are 6ft+? plus your back issues.

 

I'm 5.10 and am experimenting with shorter shaft/heavy head drivers (although I've also played 46" drivers with some success) @ 44" and D5+ SW, I have a JDM Srixon Z725 head with 2 x weight ports (+ lead tape) that is proving fun to test. 

 

I noticed your Tassie reference...broadening that to Oz mainland, Brad Hughes is a big proponent of heavier headed clubs.

Srixon Z785 10.5° XCaliber T6+ S 44.5” //  Cobra F8 14.5° XCaliber FW S 43” //  Cobra F7 18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 S 42.5” //  Titleist 818H1 19° @ 21° Project X EvenFlow 6.0 S 90G 40.5” // Srixon Z565 4, 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  Wilson Infinite The Bean 34" Super Stroke 2.0XL+//  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think mine is, its a stock length shaft and I've got 3 decent length strips of tape on the head. So whatever that works out to be haha. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Ventus blue 6-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 DG Pro S300

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Thanks and can see this makes so much sense.

 

So I'm guessing you are 6ft+? plus your back issues.

 

I'm 5.10 and am experimenting with shorter shaft/heavy head drivers (although I've also played 46" drivers with some success) @ 44" and D5+ SW, I have a JDM Srixon Z725 head with 2 x weight ports (+ lead tape) that is proving fun to test. 

 

I noticed your Tassie reference...broadening that to Oz mainland, Brad Hughes is a big proponent of heavier headed clubs.

 

Yes I am 6’2” with a shorter torso relative to my arms.  My wingspan is a touch longer than my height .. which should allow me to play shorter … but it doesn’t 

 

Funny you mention BH, he has given me a tip direct on twitter, seems like a great guy, and quite a player back in the day

 

Another side heavy story … back in 2008 I had a TM Burner TP driver.  it was “short” and very HEAVY.  John Daly like strips of lead tape on the toe.  Candy red 95 gram speeder tour spec in X.  44.75”.  I could swing 108.4 with it and carry it 278 at Ping headquarters on trackman, they couldn’t beat it with any combo.  Learned that swing the heaviest club you can if you keep the speed up

 

That year I played in our national Am and provincial Am, both national and provincial mid am’s and a nationwide event.

 

FUNNY ENOUGH I bought this driver last week down here in Myrtle Beach for $39, with a proto shaft in it.  I will be trying a bunch of my high end modern pulls in it.  Starting AD DI 6x in orange

  • Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5* PX 6A4 7.0x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* GD AD DJ 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Fuji TS 8.2s

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* Matrix 92x

Cally Apex ‘19 5h 26* Matrix 92x
Srixon ZX7 6-9 PX Catalyst 6.5
Ping Glide OG 46*, 50*, 54* & 59*ES SF 125s

Piretti Matera Elite torched
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

 

Yes I am 6’2” with a shorter torso relative to my arms.  My wingspan is a touch longer than my height .. which should allow me to play shorter … but it doesn’t 

 

Funny you mention BH, he has given me a tip direct on twitter, seems like a great guy, and quite a player back in the day

 

Another side heavy story … back in 2008 I had a TM Burner TP driver.  it was “short” and very HEAVY.  John Daly like strips of lead tape on the toe.  Candy red 95 gram speeder tour spec in X.  44.75”.  I could swing 108.4 with it and carry it 278 at Ping headquarters on trackman, they couldn’t beat it with any combo.  Learned that swing the heaviest club you can if you keep the speed up

 

That year I played in our national Am and provincial Am, both national and provincial mid am’s and a nationwide event.

 

FUNNY ENOUGH I bought this driver last week down here in Myrtle Beach for $39, with a proto shaft in it.  I will be trying a bunch of my high end modern pulls in it.  Starting AD DI 6x in orange

Great stuff👍

 

BH was a member of one of my clubs in Melbourne, he played #1 D1 (no surprise) for I think 2 seasons before turning pro. I finished playing pennant the season before he joined ( I am I think 7 or so years older than him).

 

Love his approach to the golf swing and equipment, he appears a big fan of heavier SW clubs.

Srixon Z785 10.5° XCaliber T6+ S 44.5” //  Cobra F8 14.5° XCaliber FW S 43” //  Cobra F7 18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 S 42.5” //  Titleist 818H1 19° @ 21° Project X EvenFlow 6.0 S 90G 40.5” // Srixon Z565 4, 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  Wilson Infinite The Bean 34" Super Stroke 2.0XL+//  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm playing a Ping G410 10.5º driver with a Mitsubishi Tensie CK Orange 60grams "R" Flex.

 

Length is 46".  Swingweight was in the mid D range originally.  For Giggles I added another weight to the rear. (Now have two in the back channel).

 

Brought the SW into the Lower E range.  Absolutely love it.  

 

I've found that with a higher swing weight, irons also, that I can feel the club at the top of my backswing and am able to set my wrists prior to the down swing.  

 

I had very light SW irons at one time with no feel in the backswing that promoted an outside in path on the downswing.  Heavier Swing weight seems to have corrected that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Been playing Jumbomax Tour Medium grips on all my clubs for 1/2 a year.  Love the feel in the hands, but the counterbalanced weight causes loss of clubhead feel.  I decided to mess around and bought a couple 18 gram weights for my G410 plus 9*.  First took out the stock 12gram and placed both 18 in the "fade" and "draw" position.  Instantly loved the feel and added about 8 yards carry.  Threw the 12 gram back into the center with the 18s and this thing absolutely mashes.  Went from 224 carry to 240s.  Estimated swing weight using online calculator came to f9.  I can't believe this setup is going to stay in one piece, but it sure feels good for now.  

 

Had to buy lead tape for all my other clubs which feel WAY too light as a result.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might want to try JumboMax Ultralite. They didn't affect my club head feel at all.

  • Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it's not only the driver.  when I shaft up some clubs i take them with me and a roll of lead tape and add and subtract to each iron until it feels right.  the first time i did it the irons ended up being d4-d5 and d8 for wedges.  I had previously been playing clubs around d1-d2.  eye opener for me. 

  • Like 1

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, MagicMan79 said:

Had a bit of an ah-ha moment in the simulator yesterday while tinkering with driver swingweight.

So I play MOI matched irons that are all +1.00” - 1.5” in length. 1/4” increments from Gw all the way up to 4i. Short iron heads are lightened and long iron have added weight. Wedges are E-1 and scales down to D-7 in the longer irons. They are all long and heavy but the MoI matching and building at 1/4” increments has been one of the best things I’ve ever done , équipement wise. Never hit my irons this straight and hit as many greens. I hit 17/18 greens once this year and that was my best by far

 

My driver SS is 120-122 , and been doing some shaft tinkering since the weather has gotten cold. I like the feel of my driver at D-3, but have been struggling with a high toe miss that I just can’t shake on occassion.

I’ve added weight to drivers while in my garage and measuring swingweight. And anything at D-4 and heavier feels like a battle axe

 

So in the sim yesterday, same thing with driver - good ball, high toe, high toe, good ball..

This is a Sim2 8* with Diamana TB 60 tx, at just under 46” long. Driver in upright/square setting on adapter

 

I started moving and swapping weights, and was not influenced by my swingweight scale. Started pounding it after I added almost 7g to the head, which is quite a bit. Carrying 315-320 pretty consistently 

 

Get home and of course had to put it on the scale. It’s like D-6.2 , an absolute 🔨 

 

Never thought I’d hit it so well with such a head heavy setup, but it is what it is! Maybe it helps load the shaft that tiny bit more where my timing just matched up? Or the SW just matches my irons now so I can just swing it with the same tempo 

 

Was just curious if anyone else was swinging or had success with driver @ D-6+ ?

Ok.  Wth. I’m working on the same combo ( mine is 9 degree and 70 TB TX ) but very close.    Same speed.  And my irons are just as you describe.  I started with PW at plus 3/4 inch an move up 1/4 each so the long irons aren’t too long. My gap-lob wedge are same length and lie as my pw.  Pw is my favorite club.  Maybe LW too !  Lol.  

 

anyway.  I’m waiting for some glue to dry and had the idea of doing the exact same. Adding 7-8 g to the head and retesting.  I previously had a heavy titleist setup like this that worked great.   And I too have the high toe miss. Exclusively.     I’m also working on a 44 inch setup that I like but still. High toe miss.  I can’t seem to get smash or contact centered up.     

TM Stealth +  8* Kai li 60x 

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Very sm7 50* edel sms 54* 58* MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2022 Farmers Insurance Open Photos - 26 WITBs & New Gear- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      General Albums - 
       
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #1
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #2
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #3
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #4
       
       
      WITB Albums - 
       
      Hideki Matsuyama - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sung Kang - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Adam Long - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Brandon Wu - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sam Burns - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Xander Schauffele - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Trey Mullinax - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Daniel Berger - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      James Hahn - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Phil Mickelson - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Aaron Wise - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Lee Hodges - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Cameron Champ - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Kyle Stanley - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
       
      Pullout Albums - 
       
      New Super Stroke grip - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Tour Aim alignment aids - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Swag Golf: Hideki's caddie bowing at Augusta, signed headcovers – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Dylan Frittelli's Callaway Apex TCB Sand Wedge (1-of-1 proto) – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Bryson DeChambeau's Cobra King LTDx 5-degree driver – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      NeuroPeak Pro NTel Belt - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      JumboMax JMX Zen Lite grips – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
      Cameron Champ WITB has the new Ping i525

       
      Bryson's WITB has the new Cobra LTDx Driver 

       
      Phils new Rogue Driver

       
      Bryson's LAGolf Shaft in the driver

       
      Xander has the triple diamond "S" driver

       
      New SuperStroke grips for 2022

       
        • Thanks
      • 8 replies
    • 2022 The American Express WITB Photos (Spotted: New gear for 2022) - Discussion & Links
      Please put and comments or questions here
       
       
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2022 American Express
      New Taylor-Made putters - 2022 American Express
      New Odyssey putters - 2022 American Express
      New Axis 1 model putter - - 2022 American Express
      Patrick Cantlay - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Mitsubishi MMT putter shaft - 2022 American Express
      Ping putter - 2022 American Express
      Abraham Ancer - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Jason Dufner - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2022 American Express
      The Surgeon 6109 wedge - 2022 American Express
      LA Golf "DJ Series" shafts (2022 American Express)
       
       
       
      2022 American Express - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
      • 40 replies
    • Sony Open Pics from January 11, 2022 Part 1
      I was able to get out to the Sony Open today to take a few pics.  I guess due to Covid precautions they kept the spectators pretty far from the players.  Also due to camera restrictions they've put in place, I wasn't able to bring the big lens like I normally do. Hopefully they'll ease up on the ropes and I'll be able to get more pics tomorrow!
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 22 replies
    • 2022 Callaway Rogue ST drivers (in-hand photos)
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max driver
       

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver
       
      2021 Callaway Rogue ST Max 
       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS

       
      Rogue ST exploded views
        • Like
      • 223 replies
    • Titleist Vokey SM9 Link on Wedge Works Coming Soon- UPDATED Pics Added Pg 4
      Looks like there is a link on Titleist Wedge Works for the new Vokey SM9, but doesn't show any photos yet.
       
      https://www.vokey.com/product/WM137.html#start=4
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 237 replies

×
×
  • Create New...